• Published 13th May 2012
  • 3,136 Views, 64 Comments

Happy Anniversary Sug - Bysen



Set about ten years in the future, this is basically Ponies as a Soap-Opera. Events start at Fluttershy and Applejack's 10th anniversary and take place over the course of a year. Each of the Mane Six and CMC have their own story arcs throughout.

  • ...
35
 64
 3,136

Sapling

It’s was completely normal, and yet kinda weird to see. A new-born suckling on its mother’s teat was the most natural thing in the world. Where it started to get a little bit creepy however is when that mother had been technically dead for nearly three minutes and was now potentially comatose. Again.

Dash’s heart had stopped on the final push of her colt, nopony had noticed though for almost a full two minutes until she passed out. Pinkie, after briefly crying, had gotten completely serious in her resolve and started chest compressions to keep Dash’s blood flowing even if her heart wasn’t pumping itself. She’d heard three loud cracks as she did so, but that was actually a common thing when performing CPR.

They had worked, it restarted Dash’s heart! She’d been unconscious for over nine hours and it was about 11 o’clock at night now. Pinkie had told Dash her story. Of her first love, and why she couldn’t break her promise. How she’d always felt that Bysen, or Ventura, was with her every time she made a Pinkie Promise. Every time until the day that she’d given birth to her first child. Since then, she hadn’t just felt him with her when making a promise, but instead felt him with her always, living on in her daughter’s spirit. As a proud, brave and honourable creature, blessed with wings.

Pinkie hadn’t left Dash’s side once in those nine hours. The foal suckling; it didn’t have a name yet. Fluttershy had thought that the whole point of Pinkie’s story would be Bysen’s real name would be this foal name, but apparently not. Right now, Fluttershy was sitting beside Pinkie, with a hoof gently over her new son. She couldn’t feed it like Dash was but that was far from the front of her mind right now.

The colt wouldn’t really need to eat, or drink rather, for a day after birth but even though Fluttershy was worried, she still knew what was best for a new born. Drinking its mother’s milk would make it strong. And for all she knew, this may be one of the only chances it ever got. As the colt finished suckling, Fluttershy picked up and lifted it towards her chest once more. Then they heard it, Dash let out a loud snore.

“Dashie!...” Pinkie said quietly but with every ounce of enthusiasm she had. It meant she was alright, that Dash was just sleeping and she would wake up soon. But that also came with a down side. Dash would still be in a lot of pain from the child birth and now with a few broken ribs on top of that, or at the very least cracked. Unconsciousness was a better state for her to be in right now.

But only time would tell.

~ ~

“You weren’t the first pony I loved after Ventura… you weren’t even the second or the third… but you’re the most important by far.” Pinkie sighed. Fluttershy, Applejack and her sisters had left the room for a moment and she was confessing some of the things she’d only ever told Rainbow Dash before. Pinkie could only hope that Dash was even able to hear her. “The first was Pokey Pierce. Hehe, I let him think he was the one who... ‘popped my balloon’.”

Pinkie, as she held Dash’s hoof, the hoof that had Ventura’s band on it, didn’t let out a tear. And in a way didn’t have to. These where past memories but they were good memories all the same.

“Then there was Mr. and Mrs. Cake… they opened me up to the idea that love didn’t have to just be between a mare and a stallion. They loved me and I loved them, and still do, just not that way anymore. After that there were a lot of ponies, but I didn’t really love any of them… and then, when Applejack and Fluttershy told us about themselves, well, I was happy… but I was jealous.”

Both Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy had been the first two ponies she’d been friends with, let alone good friends like she was with AJ, Rarity and Twilight. Seeing one of them so happy was great, but she felt guilty for wanting it to be with her instead of Applejack. That was something she’d told Dash once or twice. And a third time now.

“I always had a ton of courage talking to anypony, even ponies I only just met. I was always forward about wanting to be with someone… but not with you. It took so much just to say I even liked you. Heh, it took a wedding for me to say it even. Applejack and Fluttershy looked so happy together, I had to take the chance if I wanted that for me… for us…”

Even with the hardships AJ and Fluttershy had faced that day, it was clear to everypony that it was one of their best days in their entire life. Maybe not the best, but one of them for sure. It had left Pinkie there with Dash, standing in front of an alter together. She knew Dash hated being thought of as gay, and maybe that’s why it had been so hard to ask in the first place.

“You were so scared at first. And I tried not to show, but I’m pretty sure I did show it, but I was so scared too. But even when you finally accepted us… you were still distant. Sure we’d kiss and hang out all romantically like. But that next step never happen. And, I thought it was bad idea at the time, and I still do a little… the threesome with… oh, I don’t even remember his name. I’m sure you do, you remembered them all you told me once?”

It had been Pinkie’s way to bridge the barrier. Dash accepted Pinkie and herself being together, sorta. But Dash was never really attracted to mares. At least not sexually. She could see a mare was attractive, see that they had the right curves and all that, but it just didn’t do it for her. It was a weird way to say they were serious, to have another in with them, surely fulfilling that stallion’s fantasy at the same time. But it had worked. It was rare but they kept doing that every so often until one day they finally did it without a third.

“We’d made love to each other a ton of times, but our first time wasn’t for almost two years. Not doing it to make another pony happy, just making each other happy. And Dashie, it was truly the happiest I’ve ever been. Well, maybe. Maybe it was a tie for when we finally told our friends… even if we were already pregnant at the time… that single kiss in front of them. You did that for me.”

After so long, and so many partners, and quite frankly EVERYPONY already knowing that Pinkie and Dash where an item, Dash finally let the shield she’d been hiding behind of ‘We’re doing it for those stallions, how many pony’s dream do you think we’ve made come true together?’ was dropped. It wasn’t for any pony else, it was for Pinkie. And the last trace of doubt in Pinkie’s mind that it hadn’t been was gone forever.

“And a few months later, we had our kids. I gave up what had been given to me. Because I didn’t need it anymore. I’d found somepony who could fill that hole in my heart. And loved me as much as I loved them… I gave up that name, that soul I’d held onto for so long to. Ventura. Then I made a Pinkie Promise to be the best parent I could be. Better than mine… but I didn’t feel it, I didn’t feel Ventura. I didn’t have to.”

Pinkie had wanted children. Dash hadn’t. But she wasn’t against the idea. And in fact, if Pinkie wanted them, then so did she. They’d both tried to get pregnant; first one to do so would have child; planning on having just one. Naturally they both got knocked up. Not that the father complained. Prism Slash: a nice stallion, a pegasus, and a great athlete. He had been there during the time Dash had finally accepted Pinkie in her life. He hadn’t stayed around long enough to actually meet her then, but when you’re at the highest known spot in the world you don’t expect and earth pony to be anywhere nearby.

“Butterscotch would’ve been a good father, but Fluttershy’s brother as the baby-daddy… that could’ve got a little bit bonkers. And I really liked that Razor Talon guy… to bad hybrids can’t have child. I feel sorry for him really. It had to be somepony from then, I know that. I didn’t really like him, I mean I liked him but he wouldn’t have been my first choice. But you liked him, and you were doing this for me… so I’d do him for you.”

Dash volunteering to get pregnant for Pinkie was something Dash had done for her. But Prism Slash, Pinkie had gone that for Dash. Pinkie had other stallions in mind for the father, but had chosen to go with Dash’s idea. It was the only thing she could think of that she’d gone for Dash.

“You’ve done so much for me; I’ve done so not-much for you…” Pinkie sighed.

“That’s not true Pinkie.” Fluttershy said as she put a hoof on her shoulder. Pinkie looked up at her, thanking her with her eyes before turning back to Dash. It was true though, she couldn’t remember a single thing she’d done for Dash.

“All I’ve ever done is take. I mean, I made her happy, and I throw her parties and I always treat her how she deserved… but I do that for everypony.”

“I’ve never seen you do anything but give. And when you say you took, you only accepted what she was giving you back.” Fluttershy said, stepping beside pinkie.

“She’s right ya know.” AJ chimed in, just a few steps behind Fluttershy. “Maybe ya can’t think of anything ya did for her, but that don’t mean ya never did nothin’. Why, some’a the happiest times I’ve made Fluttershy where just doing what came natural ta me. I didn’t think they were that bigga deal and ta me. They weren’t. But they meant an awful lot to her, and ah’m sure you’ve done a tonna stuff like that for Rainbow Dash.”

It was true, Pinkie could remember a few of those times that Fluttershy had been over the moon with joy over something that AJ had just done because. And… that time her sister, Octavia, had given half-eaten, leftover sandwich to Vinyl; Pinkie only thought she knew what true friendship was until that day…

Her mind was drawn to one of their little silly traditions. On Pinkie’s birthday she would get Rainbow Dash a gift and on Dash’s she would give Pinkie a gift. That tradition had originated from Dash not wanting to celebrate her own birthday, but Pinkie thought Dash still deserved to have one special day for herself, even if it meant Pinkie losing her own. You could argue that seems Dash then gave Pinkie gifts on her own birthday that it made it moot but you’d have to be very cynical to see it that way.

“You’re right. You’re right…” Pinkie said slight cheer before becoming more sombre “but there’s one thing she did that I could never do for her… she gave up on her dream for me. To be a Wonderbolt. When she got pregnant for me, she could never fly as fast after that.”

“Dang it.” Applejack cussed. This was an admittance of defeat on the point to Pinkie. Until she continued with “She really neva told ya?” AJ asked.

“T-told me what? Does she blame me?”

“No! No, the‘xact opposite! She told me never ta tell nopony, didn’t want us ta get all mushy-mushy on her. Uh, guess she kinda did give up her dream fer you, but she did it for herself too.” AJ explained. It was clear to her that Pinkie was both on the edge of her seat wanting to know what AJ knew, but also…

“She told you not to tell me? Th-then don’t. Breaking a promise is the fastest…”

“Ah know that Pinkie, but ‘think the risk is worth it ta save yours. We were drinkin’ this one time an’ we were talking about how many times she’d shown her stuff ta the Wondabolts and how on Equestria she wasn’t one’a them yet. Turns out, she’d been asked ta join… and declined.”

“What?! There’s no way! Why would she not join them in less than a split second?” Pinkie asked in shear disbelief.

“She said she where going to, but if she did, she’d be gone from Ponyville an’ off flying about all over the place fer mosta the year. And in the end, she told me she said no so she could stay with us. So, ya could say she gave it up fer you. You could say she gave it up fer alla us. Me? Ah think she gave it up ‘cause she had succeeded. She made the Wonderbolt and had a choice of what she wanted more: us, or them?”

“She really chose us? When? When did that happen?!”

“Geez… musta been a good number’a years ago. Long before Ace Awift and Ventura. Ah don’t know, maybe… about a half a year or so after me and Fluttershy got married.”

Pinkie just looked at that stunned. That was when… “That was when we first started going out.”

“Na, it where long before that. Know you where tagether long before you told us all but it where much further back than that. It where when she went ta that ‘World’s End’ place way up ultra-high in the sky. ‘Fact, ah think that’s why the Wonderbolts asked her, something about getting up there twice.”

“She… she did give it up for me then…” Pinkie sighed.

“Na, you where… where you seeing one-another all the way back then?”

“Since your wedding.” this revelation was staggering to accept. For both AJ and Fluttershy. That was easily four years before any of their friends had noticed… or at least said anything.

However, it started to look more like Pinkie was right, that Dash HAD done it for her. AJ wasn’t going to say that out loud though. She had yelled at Dash back in the bar for being so stupid. If she had been given the opportunity, all her friends would support her in becoming a Wonderbolt. But Dash had been adamant about not leaving her friends. And now AJ knew, she hadn’t wanted to leave Pinkie.

“Ah where wrong Pinkie Pie… she did do that fer you. She may’a well given up her dream for you.” at hearing that, Pinkie only grew gloomier. “But that’s not a bad thing… she chose you over her life-long dream. Ah mean, ah can’t even tell ya how much that says about how she feels about you.”

“Maybe… but I…”

“Ain’t no ‘maybe’s about it Sugercube. We’re all worried about her, don’t make us have ta worry about you too okay? You know Rainbow loves ya and she knows you love ‘er too. And you know what else she knows? That you love her just as much. Ah guarantee she knows that Pinkie. Ah guarantee!”

Pinkie visibly lightened from hearing this. Literally, her coat seemed to phase into a bright shade of pink. “I know. And I know you’re worried too, it’s just, I’ve lost someone before… you don’t know what it’s like.”

“Yes, we do.” Fluttershy replied.

“Yeah, ah may’ve been only a youngen at the time, but I lost both ma parents.” AJ followed, remembering back to the incident that took both their lives and why she’d gone off to Manehatten afterwards. “Don’t think ah’ve ever told mosta ya’s how…” Applejack said, preparing to tell a long and needless story. “But now ain’t the time fer it anyhow.”

“That’s not the same. I’d hate it if something happened to Octavia or Elliot, but Dashie’s… she means more to me. I’m sorry you two but it’s true.” she said, the last part aimed towards Octavia.

“Th-that’s not what I meant Pinkie.” Fluttershy muttered. “I lost… my Angel…” she looked down, also remembering his passing. It had been only a year and a half ago, much fresher in Fluttershy’s mind than AJ and her parents. She’d had him as a pet for more than half her life. But he was more than a pet. She’d saved him, or maybe he’d saved her by giving her the strength to save him. Either way, he meant so much to Fluttershy.

“You think some mean old rabbit is like Dashie?...” Pinkie deadpanned. To everypony else however, that rabbit was a jerk. Sure Pinkie could understand that losing a pet could hurt but it was nothing compared to what she may lose now. “If you had a choice, Applejack or Angel Bunny?” Pinkie rebutted.

“I, um…”

“Easy there girl.” AJ stepped in. she tried to keep her tone calm but she was a little annoyed at Pinkie’s question. “She’s just saying that everypony’s lost something at some point. I lost Winona and you lost Gummy.”

“Gummy’s still alive… at least Dash thinks so. That’s why she hasn’t used the toilet in this house since I flushed him.” and that wasn’t even a joke. And all humour that AJ had gotten from it, thinking it was a joke, which is wasn’t, [seriously don’t use the toilet at Sugercube Corner] was erased when she heard Fluttershy stifle a sniffle and sob.

“Y’all alright Sug?” AJ said, turning back towards Fluttershy and putting a hoof on her shoulder. She didn’t reply though. Instead she turned and slowly left the room, heading into the kitchen. AJ followed her but Pinkie continued to stay by Dash’s side. “C’mon Fluttershy, what’s wrong?” she asked again.

And again Fluttershy didn’t answer. Instead just facing away from AJ, trying to avoid eye contact as AJ tried to get to look back at her. When Fluttershy couldn’t avoid AJ’s eye any longer, she finally said “It wasn’t you.” which AJ had no idea what it meant. She gave a question look before Fluttershy answer “To choose between you or Angel Bunny… I didn’t choose you.”

“Shhh-shh… it’s alright” AJ said, putting both hooves around Fluttershy, hugging her. “It was a bad question and a horrible choice ta have ta make. But ya don’t have to. It’s jus’ a hyper-ma-thetical. Ah loved that little bunny too ya know. Even if I didn’t show it as much as you did. I loved Winona too. Still do on both accounts.”

“No you didn’t… I mean, not that you didn’t love them, just, you didn’t love Angel as much as I did. W-would you… would you choose Winona over me?”

“Well no, o’course ah wouldn’t…”

“But I did! I would choose Angel over you… I… I don’t want to weigh you against each other but… I miss him.” that part had been evident ever since he’d passed. But the new part, it pained Fluttershy to admit, and AJ to hear. “More than I do you” she finished before shedding a few more tears and wiping a few away.

“Ah, ah…” AJ couldn’t really think of a way to respond to that. Sure there’d been a point where she’d have chosen Winona over Fluttershy but that had been for a week or so after her death. This was Fluttershy’s choice almost two years afterwards. “Ah’ll be back in a just a tick.” she said as she turned away, before turning back and adding “Now don’t take this as me walkin’ away in anger, ah’ll be back in just a tick.” she clarified before turning once more.

“O-ok.” Fluttershy said as AJ walked back into the main living room/customer’s area of the place back towards Pinkie and Dash, and Octavia nearby. Elliot was out with Seafoam doing her best to tell him that she was actually married… while on a date with him.

AJ walked up to Pinkie and put a hoof on her shoulder. This time however, it wasn’t in support. She pulled Pinkie around to face her, staring her straight in the eyes. “Pinkie. You have to apologise to Fluttershy. Ya really upset her just now.”

“Oh, I did? I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to make her sad.” Pinkie said, trying to break eye contact with AJ.

“Tell her, not me.” AJ replied sternly.

“Alright.” Pinkie said. She turned back towards Dash and continued to sit in place.

“Well?...” AJ groaned.

“Is she coming?” Pinkie asked. And as if to answer the question for her they heard the back door opening. AJ turned, hoping it wasn’t what she thought it was and that Elliot had just returned after the night ended. And surprisingly, she saw Elliot walking into the living room.

“Is Fluttershy alright?” Elliot asked right away. “She looked awful when she walked past me just outside.” the question was never answered… or maybe it was by AJ running past her toward the back door. She looked outside but couldn’t see Fluttershy in the dark. It was about half past 11 and the moon was pretty much blocked out by a cloud layer.

“FLUTTERSHY!?!?!?” AJ yelled out. She was about to again when she remember that was about half past 11 at night. Yelling at this time of night: not a good idea. Honestly, she had a pretty good idea where she was going anyway. AJ marched back inside right up to Pinkie, grabbed her by the ear with her teeth and muffled out “Yur comin’ with me!” as she dragged her away.

“No! I can’t leave Dahsie!”

“To bad!”

~ ~

Fluttershy had made it there with just a few minutes of flying and had been there for about five now. On hoof it would still be a bit still before AJ got there. That’s if she even knew where Fluttershy had headed. She was sitting down, in front of a tree. Barely a tree: a sapling, just under two years old. Angel Bunny’s tombstone.

Fluttershy was a member of the Apple family. And so was Angel. He was buried on their land with a tree to mark his grave like everypony else. Well, the pets where in a separate area from the ponies but it was just on the other side of the path. Winona’s was there too, a tree about four years old. And near that where four more trees about fifteen years old: Applebloom’s Mister Fishy numbers 1 through 4.

She sat there, waiting. And slowly that waiting turned into hoping that AJ wouldn’t show up. But Fluttershy had no doubt that her wife knew exactly where she was. It was a blessing and a curse to know each other so well. And sure enough, Applejack arrived not to long after. What Fluttershy didn’t expect was Pinkie to be with her.

She looked agitated and nervous, which was very un-Pinkie Pie. “Look, um, Fluttershy…” Pinkie started. She knew what Fluttershy said to AJ and where they were going; told what this place was by AJ and how much she’d hurt them both. But all the same, she wanted to be by Dash’s side rather than here, even if she did owe an apology. “I’m sorry if I made you feel sad. I didn’t know you cared for him so much.”

“I shouldn’t care for him that much. He was a mean little critter… but I still loved him.” Fluttershy said looking away from Pinkie back towards the sapling. “And I feel horrible for making that choice.”

“It’s ok… I shouldn’t have said it in the first place; I was being a mean little critter too. But you still love me! And I love you! And Applejack loves you too! Um, but I don’t love you that way of course, I mean platonically and not like the months we lived together… -ly.”

“I know… and um, Pinkie. I’ve made another choice. And I feel just as bad about it.”

“No, don’t feel bad. That’s the opposite of how I want you to feel!”

“But, it’ll make you feel bad, so it makes me feel…”

“Well if it makes me feel good instead you’ll feel good then if that’s how it works?”

“Um, I suppose so, but I don’t think it will. I’ve chosen a name for our son. And I know Rainbow wanted to name him but I, don’t think we can… wait that long.”

“Oh, don’t be silly, you’ll only have to wait a few hours. Like late tomorrow morning at the most.” Pinkie said, as her eye twitched akin to how Twilight’s did when she started to have a panic attack. Half in denial and half out of shear hope. “You shouldn’t name him yet. No.”

“I know. I, I shouldn’t have said anything… c’mon let’s go back to Sugercube Corner and Rainbow Dash. Y-you’re right. She may even be awake right n-now…” Fluttershy sighed. She knew exactly what she was going to name her son. So did AJ and so did Pinkie.

Angel.

In all honesty, Fluttershy had thought she’d be naming her son after Bysen’s real name, and that that had been the whole point of that story. Turns out it had been much deeper than she originally thought. And while it was a different scenario, she too felt she loved Angel as much as Pinkie had loved Bysen. But, Pinkie wasn’t going to let it be. Dash was naming this child. End of story.

The end.











“Now hold on a minute there Pinkie!” AJ called out, stopping Pinkie, mid-bounce and also somehow mid-air. “Look, ah know ya don’t wanna face it, but Dash… ah don’t see her waking up anytime soon. This is what happened last time remember? She where out last time for two months. And from what Elliot told us, it’s worse this time and she’ll be lucky ta wake up at all.” AJ said.

“No, she will wake up, she will!” Pinkie re-outburst-plied.

“Now don’t get me wrong, ah have no doubt she WILL wake up. It’s just, it just ain’t ganna be any time soon…” she said flatly to Pinkie. Giving her friend false hope wasn’t going to help her.

~ ~

“OUGH!!!!....” Dash groan as she woke up. Her head hurt, her vajayjay hurt more but most of all, her chest hurt. It wasn’t from the heart-attack though. It was from the three freshly cracked ribs. That wasn’t to say the heart-attack didn’t still hurt somewhat but breathing hurt more. Much more!

She wanted to cry out in pain but to do so would cause more pain. She took shard breaths in and quick gasps out. Tears rolled down the side of her face but she didn’t try to wipe them away as her hooves where clutching at her chest. To state that she was in pain was an understatement. She was in agony to say the least. While unconscious she didn’t have to deal with it but now it was simply brutal.

“Rainbow Dash!” Elliot said for the third time now, finally getting her attention as Dash unclenched her eyes and looked up at her new sister. “Take your hoofs off your chest. You’re just pushing on it, making it hurt more.” Elliot stated calming but with authority. And Dash obeyed. There was an instant difference, although the act of moving her hooves had cause a small jolt of pain for a moment.

“Uh… Pinkie Pie?...” Dash asked, slightly moving her head from left to right and scanning the other half of the room with her eyes as much as she could. She half expected her to appear back where she’d just been looking after turning away, but didn’t. “Where is everypony?” Dash asked, finally realizing it was just them two.

“Octavia’s upstairs with the new born. Fluttershy, Applejack and Pinkie are… somewhere. I think Pinkie upset Fluttershy so she ran off, then Applejack dragged Pinkie away to say sorry.”

Dash groaned once more. Not in pain though it was still substantial, but in annoyance. She needed Pinkie here now. “Yeah… she’s good as scaring ponies off.” Dash lifted her right hoof and started to wipe away some of the tears. It didn’t really hurt doing so but what scared her was she had also lifted her left hoof too. She just couldn’t feel it. It was numb. “Elliot…?” she said with noticeably panic in her voice.

“What’s wrong?” she replied dropping down beside Dash, instantly grabbing her left hoof to feel her pulse and putting her over hoof lightly onto Dash’s chest. She quickly felt a pulse and calmed dramatically before starting to count the beats. Then Elliot’s heart metaphorically skipped a beat, as Dash’s heart literally did. After that, it was strong again, but another ten or so later it skipped another.

She turned to Dash, fear on her face as noticeable as it had been in Dash’s voice. “That can’t be good.” Dash quipped. Despite the pain and the impending bad news she was feeling rather good. Then again, the last thing she remembered before passing out was feeling an absolutely fantastic ecstasy so maybe feeling good wasn’t good after all. She wasn’t feeling THAT good now though. It was more of a feeling herself and herself’s base state was good.

“You’re heart’s not beating normally.” Elliot said, removing her hooves from Dash. Dash then put her hoof to her neck, feeling her own pulse. She had one, that was a good start. Then she felt it, or didn’t rather but just chalked it up as she missed the feel of it. Then soon enough missed another, then a third.

“So I’ve got an irregular heartbeat… what’s the medical term for that?”

“An irregular heartbeat.” Elliot answered.

“Yeah, what’s that called?”

“No, it’s called…” she stopped when Dash started laughing… she fell right into that one. “Har-har.” Elliot sighed, letting out a slight laugh. Her face cleared as she became serious again though “This isn’t funny Rainbow Dash. This is very serious! We should get you to a hospital once Pinkie comes back. Before then even. She shouldn’t be lo…”

“DASHIE!!!” Pinkie screamed as she rocketed towards Dash as the door flew open. Pinkie lunged at Dash only to be tackled by Elliot mid-air, landing just short of Dash. Good thing too, as Pinkie remembered, among other things, Dash had three newly broken ribs and a Pinkie hug would not feel as good as it usually did. “Oh, right… but anyway, DASHIE!!!” she cheered once more. As she ran to her side.

Before Dash could reply though Elliot spoke up. “We should get her to a hospital Pinkie! She’s had the foal, now can we PLEASE take her to a hospital like I’ve told you to do a thousand times!” she yelled before turning to Dash and calmly asking “Think you can walk?”

Accepting the challenge, Dash groaned loudly as she rolled onto her side. She’d been up and walking while in labour, as much as this hurt now, it wasn’t as bad as before. It still hurt though. And damn did it hurt! Dash shakily stood up, Pinkie rushed to her side to offer her help, putting a hoof under her chest… which was a bad idea.

Dash groaned again, which only made Pinkie to lift harder, which in turn made Dash groan even louder. “Stop!” Dash finally managed to say after gasping in a quick breath. Her eyes clenched shut and her head hung, she stood in place for a moment just breathing slowly but heavily. “Ok…” she said, opening her eyes and looking up.

Beside her was Pinkie, in front of her was Elliot and behind them was Applejack and Fluttershy. And behind them was a clock. It was minutes from midnight, she’d been out for ages it seemed. Of course looking outside and seeing it was dark was evidence of that already. “Well ah’ll be… ah’m glad you’re alright!” AJ proclaimed.

“Shh!...” Octavia shh’ed as she came down the stairs. New born foal in toe, asleep on her back. Dash’s first thought upon seeing it was ‘Whose kid is that?’ her second thought was ‘Oh right…’ her third thought was ‘ough!’ as she took a step towards the stairs and her fourth was ‘That’s my son’. She smiled at the little guy.

Before she could do anything though, Fluttershy flew over to Octavia and carefully picked up her son. You can guess what Dash’s fifth thought was. Cradling it in her front hooves as she gently flew back over to Applejack, she stopped in front of Dash. “Thank you.” was all she said. It didn’t seem like much but that’s only because she had no other way to express how much joy this little foal had given her as she hovered on past Dash.

While Fluttershy was blissfully ignorant, AJ saw Dash’s expression and moved in close saying aloud “Yeah thank ya RD.” and then more quietly saying to just her “Ya ain’t havin’ second thoughts are ya?”

“No, no I’m fine.” Dash said some-what confidently.

“Listen, ah know ya want me ta say it’s alright fer ya to have second thoughts about giving up ya son but… it’s not. Ah can’t let ya take him back. He’s Fluttershy’s child now. He’s ma child now. And ah can’t let ya take that away from us. You do understand right?”

“Ya… I understamd.” Dash said dejectedly. She never wanted the child so why should she now? Chances are she didn’t really and she was just feeling maternal after giving birth. She even acknowledged that herself. Post-pardon depression? No, she’d been much sadder just this morning. It would pass... “He’s yours AJ. I kinda want him back but… I wouldn’t do that to you.”

“I’m sorry Rainbow.” she didn’t need to say anymore as she put a hoof on Dash’s shoulder. Dash let out a slight groan as the weight was added. She was in a good deal more of pain than she was letting on. Well mostly. Her upper left side was still quite numb and despite what she’d hoped, getting up hadn’t gotten the blood flowing back to that part of her again. Also the second half of her tail was numb but the only ponies she even knew who would use their tails where the Apples anyway. Knowing how Ace and Ven turned out, being more like their other-mothers, she wouldn’t be surprised if her foal… their foal would be able to use his tail just like AJ could.

That thought made her chuckle under her breath. The little guy was part of the Apple family now: a family that was as big as it was old. The founders of Ponyville… or something like that. It was kinda cute imaging this colt out on the fields bucking apples with his pristine white coat covered in dirt. Rarity would faint at the thought. But without realizing it, Dash had pictured the boy fully grown, out in the world. Maybe even out in the deserts of Appleloosa. But still with no name.

Dash had been out for who knows how long. Well she could’ve easily used some fancy mathematics to tell her it had been like nine hours but that’s not the point. By now, he would’ve been given a name by Fluttershy and AJ. “So, what’s the little guys name?” Dash asked, sounding more enthusiastic than she had intended.

“Oh my gosh!” Pinkie chime-yelled-in. “You were going to name him. I completely forgot about that.” she lied. “So what are going to name him Dashie?”

“Look uh, Pinkie?” AJ stepped into the rant Pinkie was about to go on. “I’m pretty sure Fluttershy’s chosen a name fer him already. And I stand by her choice. Again uh, sorry Rainbow Dash.”

“That’s alright. So, what’d you name him Fluttershy?”

“Oh, well… I haven’t named him yet. I have an idea for what I wanted to call him but, um, Dash. I want you to name him still.”

“Are, are you sure Sug?”

“I am.” Fluttershy nodded, calmly. She was. She knew that despite what Dash may’ve said, this foal still meant a lot to her. And even if she wasn’t the colt’s mother, she was still its auntie and close family friend. “Would you do the honours?” she added as she presented the still sleeping foal to its former mother.

“Yeah. Thanks Flutters.” she said as she sat down. Her rear still ached immensely but it was bearable now, enough so to sit on at least. Dash had spoken softly, a lot quieter than most the other ponies in the room had been speaking but had still managed to stir the little fella from his sleep. He coo’ed cutely before bursting into loud crying; killing all aforementioned cuteness. Dash pulled him into her chest. “Hey there little guy…”

The babe kept crying for a few moments but its wailing died down gradually. Soon enough he opened his eye. It may not have been the first eyes the foal had made contact with but their where just as mesmerising to him as Fluttershy’s and Applejack's where. He began to coo again looking around and being captivated by Dash’s colourful mane. His giant new-born eyes, a deep black, not having developed irises yet.

“Hey, um, sorry about giving you up and all that. But trust me, these two, they’ll love you, you know? Like a lot. I don’t know what they’d come up with for your name. Probably some weird earth pony name like ‘Ventura’…” Dash said sarcastically. Going back to one of her old jokes and not knowing a damn thing about how stupid what she had just said was. “Can’t say my name’s much better though I guess. Little guy, your name... is Angel.”

There was a moment of silence. Instead of cheers or clapping… or at the very least the ‘d'aww’s that Dash had expected which made her think she’d messed up somehow. That was reinforced by Fluttershy starting to cry. Finally AJ spoke up. “Thank you Rainbow Dash… thanks so much. For all’a this. I mean…” and even AJ started to tear up. Apparently Dash had really struck a chord.

“See, I told you she could hear my story while she was sleeping.” Pinkie said. After all Fluttershy had said her part about Angel Bunny after Pinkie’s story about Bysen/Ventura.

“What story?” Dash asked… completely dashing Pinkie’s optimism and just leaving them staring blankly at each other. A second later they both just just started laughing. Dash gave the newly named Angel back to Fluttershy, stood up slowly and started “I have no idea what she’s talking about, but I was ganna name him that ages ago. Well, ages ago since I saw him. White coat, big blacks eyes. I mean it’s almost like he was specifically made to look like Angel or something.”

Dash laughed once more, before suddenly collapsing as her legs gave out. She let out an ‘oof’ as she hit the ground. Naturally Pinkie rushed over to check on her but was reaffirmed as Dash struggled back to her hooves. Only to collapses again. She lay there this time, not trying to stand back up, instead just breathing heavily. She was exhausted. She hadn’t been moments ago though.

Pinkie grabbed hold of her Dashie and checked her pulse. It was still there, it hadn’t stopped again and she thanked Celestia for that. Then it stopped! Then it went again… a few more beats passed and it stopped for once again. Before Pinkie could ask or even say anything about it Elliot spoke up “Now can we get her to the hospital?!”

“Yeah, right.” Pinkie replied. “Hop on my back!” she added as she somehow managed to slide under Dash even though she had been flat on the ground and lifted her up. Despite the ribs, Pinkie managed to lift her in a way that put minimal pressure on them. As Dash lay on her back she swore that somehow the parts of Pinkie’s back her chest was up against were physically softer than the rest of her wife’s back.

“I don’t need a lift Pinkie. I can walk. I’m just really tired!...”

“That’s because you’re bloods not flowing and your everything isn’t getting enough oxygen.” Elliot stated. “And if you’re that exhausted already it’s a lot worse than I thought. You’re bodies trying to shut down, or at least sleep to conserve energy!” she said, with all due concern as she took one of Dash’s hooves to once again check her pulse.

“She’s right Rainbow.” AJ added. “You of all ponies being tired from doing nuthin’, then that certainly can’t be good at all.” she stopped and turned towards “Octavia, would you mind staying here and takin’ care o’ Angel for us?” AJ finished. She planned on going with to the hospital with them, along with Fluttershy. Dash however had other ideas.

“No, um… did you?...” Dash stuttered trying to find a delicate way to put it. Then just gave up “Are you stupid or what?” delicate… “Octy, come with us. AJ. Fluttershy. Stay here and take care of your son. He’s your son now. Look…” Dash cut herself off with a slight yawn/groan before continuing. “you know me, I’m ganna be fine. Just, don’t worry alright? Today’s about you not me. I think I said it already, but… congratulations. You’re a family now.”

Both Applejack and Fluttershy smiled at this. She was right. They had a child now. Naturally they wanted to be there for Dash right now but really being there for Angel would be doing that too. There was no doubt in Dash’s mind that these two would be terrific parents and this was their first chance to prove it. “And I’ve said it already too…” Fluttershy spoke up “but thank you. We were already a family though. We’re just, a slightly bigger one now.”

“No, no problem. It’s the least… least I could do for you on a day, like today.” Dash said softly. She sounded weak in the voice from how out of energy she was. That was until she lifted her head up a bit and with as much energy as her usual voice spoke “Let’s go Pinkie.” she hadn’t been weak from exhaustion, she’d just been overcome for her friends. “Can you let me down, I can walk there myself.” She insisted.

“Nope, to bad. I’m carrying you!”

“Fine…” Dash said with a tone that was betrayed by her actions as she lazily lay her head down into Pinkie’s mane. And then slightly weaker volume added “Just try not to bounce, ok?”

“Ok.” Pinkie said, taking the first few steps. She turned her head back. “Bye girls… and guy. I’ll see you tomorrow. Which BTW is only like two minutes away now.”

“Goodbye.” came Fluttershy.

“See ya’s soon.” Applejack added.

“Catch ya.” Dash replied, flipping her hoof up then lett it fall back down and hang over Pinkie’s shoulder. Pinkie reach the door, opened it and headed out. Elliot and Octavia shortly after as they closed it behind them. It was just them now. Applejack, Fluttershy and Angel.

Fluttershy drifted down from the air towards Applejack and ran her neck alongside hers. Her wings occasionally flapped with, laying in between them, their son with a small mouth fall of his mother’s pink mane. Applejack leaned in and gave him a peck on the forehead. Fluttershy had craned her neck and was looking back at him too. AJ pulled back a little and put a hoof onto Fluttershy’s shoulder and indicated to sit.

Once they were both down she reach out and picked up the little fella. She placed him down on the ground just between them. He stood on the shaky legs of a new born foal and looked at both of them before walking up between them. He then once again swung his eyes between each of them, but this time back and forth. Fluttershy scootched over, closer to Applejack so they their where barely inches away from one another. Angel stopped looking back and forth and sat, laying up against both of them at once.

Fluttershy leaned down and gave him a kiss on the top of the head like AJ had done before. Then when she pulled back she gave another kiss to Applejack. Looking directly into Applejack’s eyes she realized something. Until she had sat down she had been hovering. Just floating in a magic she didn't understand but knew was created by the purest of happiness This was a perfect moment for her. And she knew it was a perfect moment for Applejack too.

I learnt that long ago Sug, just being with you is a bigger gift than this could ever be.

Applejack had said that to her two years ago. The last time Applejack had seen her hover. And even if she wasn’t seeing it now, she knew it was happening in spirit. And Applejack was thinking the exact same thing. Only there was something more. One thing that could top even a perfect moment.

For a brief second she turned her head towards a clock. Pinkie was right, there was only a scant few moments left in the day. Rainbow Dash was right too, it was the least she could do for them on a day like today. Honestly, Applejack had only just remembered herself. She looked down at their son, now drifting off to sleep between them. She returned her gaze to Fluttershy’s whose gaze returned to her from Angel at the same moment.

They both leaned in and gave a light but meaningful… very meaningful kiss before parting not long after. There was barely seconds left to do it. Without breaking eye contact, Applejack turned a perfect moment into something beyond even that with just three simple words...

Happy Anniversary Sug

Author's Note:

Closing credit music

Well, it's over. Well actually it's not, there's an epilogue. I can't really describe what happens in it without ruining it but it's going to have ALOT of story in it. Think of it as a P.S. like at the end of Marvel movies.

As for that whole Rainbow Dash live or die thing... I messed that up so hard. I was torn between thinking 'I should kill her just cause' 'no, why should I kill her? it's mean' 'but I've set it up so much why should I have her live?' 'but it's completely unnecessary, you only put it in for drama' 'what's drama without pay off, kill her!' and ultimately I couldn't bring myself to kill her or make it clear she lives. So I'm going to put this right here... Dash is alive.
For now.

The last words of this story, it had been the plan since day one. The first words and the last. I find it poetic I guess.
Again, it may have that same thing I've said before where it's really emotional to me but not necessarily conveyed with as much passion as it disserves.

As for the title of this chapter, it seemed easy to just name it Angel seems it's safe to say you guess what the foals name would be the second Fluttershy said the word 'Angel'... so I did.
I had thought about that horrible pun I made in a blog post about calling it 'Foalen' as a reference to fallen, as in a fallen angel. But dear god was that a bad title...
I also thought about calling it 'A pony with no name' but this is the last chapter and I wanted it to be a meaningful name and I think Angel fits that the best. [subject to change in the next few days before I press publish]
[Yes I keep these a few days before posting them so I can make last minute changes like this]
Edit: I did change it as you can now tell: Sapling. Referring to Angel's tombstone while also tying it to Applejack.

Now, it's time to take the four flash back sequences and make them into stand alone stories. Maybe flesh them out a little and remove a few of the parts that directly relate to this story but are still part of what I call the Sug-averse.
On a similar note, I should probably go back and change all instances of AJ saying 'sug' 'sugar' or 'sugercube' or any other nickname time things to starting with a capital.
Edit: done.

I'll be heading back and redoing all the chapters. mostly just grammar check, keeping everything that I lost track of over the year process of writing this consistent and using hyperlinks instead of just linking everything at the end in these notes.
Seriously, one of my notes was over 2000 words long.
Edit: done.

As for individual things I thought about this story:
'over nine hours' - over 9000 reference? No. But I couldn't help but hear that when giving my final check and though it's not worth a hyperlink I thought I'd mention it.
Pinkie and Dash being left at AJ and Fluttershy's alter evoking feelings from Pinkie was pulled from Bones when Hogens and Angela left Bones and Booth at theirs.
This pic is somewhat related but only made it into these notes for its epic beard! http://images.buddytv.com/btv_2_800018361_1_590_-1_0_/left-at-the-altar--1.jpg
I came up with that idea for the Wonderbolts and why Dash never joined them probably back at chapter 15-ish but never found a place to put it in. It in itself could be a short story after this. either way, I think it's something that Dash would do if actually given the choice between the Wonderbolts and her friends. I mean she essentially made it in the pilot with the Shadowbolts... even though she'd never heard of them before and had no reason to join them what so ever but hey... knit picking.
How many times have I used the 'I could go into the back story but who really even cares?' joke?
I finally got around to using the Gummy got flushed joke.

Hey look, it's only about 20-something chapters late but I finally found this link
http://dreatos.deviantart.com/art/Origin-Story-Fluttershy-Pg-1-245575419
This was one of those flashbacks I was talking about making into a stand alone story but I think I'll talk to the guy who made this before I do that though.

Another possible spin-off story about Elliot cheating on DJ with and Seafoam? No. That was more a self confidence joke about Elliot.
As for spin-offs I have a two pretty solid ideas.
1: Red and Golden Delicious' story about him coming out after Applejack's wedding.
2: Diamond Tiara's attempted suicide after being responsible for Twist's death.
3: That unreleased chapter I've talked about a few times. Actually, that's pretty much ready to go. Expect that very soon.
Edit: I'm not ganna link number 3 seems I've linked it about five times already in these notes...

Well... what a long and strange trip it's been.
Much love, much thanks and much muchness to all of you who managed to make it here.

Bysen.