• Published 13th May 2012
  • 687 Views, 21 Comments

A Filly's New Life - BananaPeeler



A story about a filly coming into the new world and experiencing it's many joys.

  • ...
 21
 687

Ponyville

Next Day

I wake up to a very thick morning. The air smells like dew, and the air is humid. Opening my eyes I can see that there is a slight fog in the air. Mrs. Cheerilee is still asleep, quiet as can be. I stand up on all fours, stretching my legs, and giving my hooves a slight shake, then walk over to get a drink from a nearby pond. We didn't have time to gather water yesterday, so this with suffice. Drinking the water, I slowly remember the previous day and the events that occurred within them. The lesson about plants, the bandits, the fight, and especially what happened near the end...What did happen? All I remember is a bright light, a sudden blast of wind, and then I blacked-out. I'll be sure to remember to ask Mrs. Cheerilee later. A sudden, but small, sense of urgency goes through me. Rose is still missing! I guess I'll have to go find her. A bit of a chore, but I don't even know if she's okay...

I pack up a small amount of rations, fill my water skin and set off to find Rose. I start by walking towards the spot where I remember the fight was. I might be able to find her tracks if I start from there, then follow them to her. Walking through the forest, I think to myself, "Why did she run off? Did something happen whilst I was out? Did Mrs. Cheerilee say something?".
My mind is racing, trying to grasp at some solution of why she ran off, but there were flaws in all of them. After about five minutes, I come to the spot of the mugging. As I look around, I find a few things on the ground. Pieces of paper, but blank. A few books, yet non of relevance. Nothing I could find was useful to me, just trash. I don't know what I'm going to do, but I have to find Rose before something happens to her.

I start to think to myself again, where could she be...Ponyville? No, probably not. She doesn't enjoy being there. Possibly somewhere out in the plains? I suppose it's not a very good spot to run off to. The Everfree Forest! I bolt off, galloping at full speed, a sense of dread deep within me. Trees are flashing past me as I dodge in and out of them, attempting to get to Rose as quickly and as efficiently as possible. "Run! Run! Run!" I was telling my brain, pleading it to hasten my travel. My running was getting faster and faster, increasing my hoof speed, decreasing the height that they raise off the ground. My hooves feel as though they were ablaze, with each hoof strike, fire seemingly spat out from them. I think I even phased through a tree! My eyes were frantically searching for some sign of her, hoofprints, markings, a shelter...

After what seems like another five minutes, I start to slow down. My enthusiasm matched my speed, making my face into a worried frown. I start yelling for her, hoping she'll answer back. "Rose! Rose? Where are you?" With my hope depleting, my fatigue growing, I begin to accept her to be gone, but then I hear a noise...It sounded like some type of animal, but I don't think it actually is. "Rose?" I say. The sound repeats! I run towards the sound, expecting to see Rose, but upon getting to the sound's origin, I am greeted by the presence of Rose, although what I see was not as I expected. She was pale, and shriveled up under a slightly uprooted tree. I look at her, trying to make sense of why she was there, and notice that her eyes are shut, and there is a displeased look on her face.
"Are you alright, Rose?"
"Uggghhhhh...." She moans in pain.
"I'll take that as a no." I say sarcastically.
"We need to get you back to home, but I can't carry you. Can you walk?" I question.
She clears her throat. "Cherry? Is that...actually you?"
"Yeah it's me! Now come on, we need to get back and find out what's wrong with you!"
As soon as I answer her question, she brightens up immensely!
"Cherry!" She says, jumping up from her position and gave me a large hug.
Still in her grip, I say "Well, it's a good thing you can walk!"
"I can, but I think I've caught something."
"Well we won't able to find out what ailment you have here. We ARE in the Everfree Forest after all."
"Oh yeah, I kind of forgot." She jokes
We start walking towards the general direction of our home.
"So..." I say
"Yes Cherry?"
"...Why'd you run off yesterday??" I blurt out.
"Well, when you did that thing. When you were floating in the air and did that spell, it brought up some bad memories. I'd tell you...but It's a long story..." She looks off into the distance.
"Don't worry, we're at least half an hour away from home." The enthusiasm in my voice is apparent.
"Okay, fine, but don't interrupt me or ask any questions in the middle. I get off track easily." She smiles.

...I wait in excitement...

Flashback (Rose's Point of View)

"It all started about a year and a half ago, when I moved to Ponyville. I was very nervous and didn't think I would fit in. I was from Lindale, a far off town. So I obviously wasn't updated with the modern clothing in Ponyville, so my clothes were not only out of date, but they were also dirty from hard work on the farm I did, when I used to work there. I walked through Ponyville, trying to find my home. I look down at a piece of paper, my new address written on it.
'Ponyville 539 East'
I didn't even know where that was, or how I was going to get there, but when I looked back up, there was a magnificent Pony standing in front of me! His mane was gleaming and shiny! His horn was glorious! His smile was hypnotizing! He said to me
"Is there anything I can help you with?"
Of course, I nervously replied, "well...I could use some help umm, finding my home...I've just moved here from Lindale." .
"Not a problem Miss, may I have the address?"
"Why of course you can!" I handed the dreamy Colt the slip of paper, forgetting my dirty and outdated clothes.
"Ponyville 539 East is it?" He says.
"Yes" I reply.
"That's just along the way, let me walk you there. If you don't mind of course." He smiles kindly.
"Not at all!"
"Let's be on our way then shall we?"
We started walking along the path, talking with each other similarly to how two people who have just met would talk.

"So do you live here?" I say
"Yes! I live just across the path from you in fact! I heard there was someone coming, but I always thought they would be from Canterlot. On that topic, what made you come here?" He asks me.
"I came here from Lindale because of a great famine. My family and I heard there was well to do in Ponyville, so we all decided that one of us should come here. I guess it just happened to be me."
"Interesting. So you plan to get a job here, right?" He says, his words soothing me like a warm bath.
"Yes, but I'm not quite sure where to start."
"Hmmmm...Ah! I know! You could work at my shop! I own the general shop up in town. We've been needing a teller for a while now, but no one's applied."
"That would work!" I replied
We neared my house while we continued to talk.
"So I'll be talking to you tomorrow?" I said, stepping in the doorway.
"Yep, I'll work everything out for you in the shop, and in a few days time, I'll put you to work."
"See you later then!" I closed the door, waving goodbye at him.
As soon as the door was closed, I sighed in disbelief. Disbelief that this man even exists! He was amazing!

Back to Cherry and Rose, who were still walking back home, about half way there.

"So how does that have to do with what happened yesterday?" I said
"Well that doesn't. I have much more of the story to tell, so don't worry, you'll find out in due time my child." Replied Rose