• Published 13th May 2012
  • 1,935 Views, 27 Comments

Syren Song - Lucario247



Capricornian pony meets fluttershy

  • ...
0
 27
 1,935

Chapter 3: Transfer Student from Heaven

(AN: I added a part of the story in on chapter 2. If you haven't seen it yet, please go back and read it. Thnx!!<3)

Chapter 3: Transfer Student from Heaven

Syren was daydreaming during her Capricornian History class. She was thinking about the events of the previous day.

When she had returned home after her encounter with the Pegasus, she went straight to her room. Her mother wasn't home. She got into bed, and Jet curled up on the covers that were made of woven sea silk. Syren tried to fall asleep, but couldn't. She was to busy thinking about the Pegasus.

She'd probably tell all her friends about Syren. Then news would spread through all of Equestria about the "Mermare". Then mobs of land ponies would swarm the beaches and lakesides and other places of water. The land Equestrians would probably capture the Capricore and experiment on them or something. Syren put her hooves on her forehead and rolled around with eyes closed.

"What have I done?" she thought to herself

Her bedroom door opened and her mother walked in. Jet opened his eyes and swam to greet his other owner. Syren pretended to be asleep. Her mother sat on the side of the bed and began rubbing her back.

"I love you Syren. And I only want what's best for you." she said.

Remora was getting up to leave when Syren said, "Then why don't you want me to sing land pony songs?"

She sighed and turned around, "It's just that I don't want you becoming obsessed with them. You've seen how the ponies at the observation center act. Like the world revolves around the Equestrians."

"Technically it does, mom. Because the two alicorns move the sun and moon."

"You know that's not the point Syren. Look, I just want you to be happy with your dream. To sing. And I don't want you to fall into a pit because you're singing these land pony songs, do you understand what I'm getting at?"

"Yeah..." said Syren as she pulled the covers over her head.

"I want you to promise me you won't sing anymore land pony songs."

She sat up, "But mom!-"

"I don want to hear it. Do you promise or not."

Syren looked at her mother sourly, "Fine."

"Good. I love you Syren. Goodnight." her mother said as she closed the door to Syren's room.

"Miss Syren! Please pay attention!"

She was jolted from her thoughts because of the teacher's command, "U-uh, Yes ma'am!"

She was now focussing on how the famous explorer, Finnegan McGill, discovered the founding place of Aquarius. After settling, he began constructing inns and houses for other travelers. As more travelers appeared, the town became a boomtown for its production of coral structures and-

The lesson was cut off when the end-of-the-class gong sounded. Syren got up and headed to her choir class. She swam in and took her seat, as the rest of her classmates filed in or lingered at the doorway. As the passing period gong rang out, the rest of the students went to their seats. Mr. Trench called the attention of the class.

"Class, we have a new student who is transferring into this class. I want you to welcome him and help him with his singing if needed."

Whispers rippled across the classroom.

"Now let me introduce you to...where is he?" said Mr. Trench, looking around.

The door opened and a student walked in. Syren nearly fell out of her seat.

"Sorry I'm late, Mr. Trench. I got lost on the way here." said Ray as he swam into the classroom.

"Well I guess that's a possible explanation for being late." said the tea her as he scanned the room, "Why don't you sit right there, next to Syren."

"Sure thing." he replied as he swam over to his seat.

Syren could barely contain herself. Her crush was sitting next to her, in the class that she was most open. It seemed like fate had decided to shake things up a bit. Add some spice to Syren's life. She was alright with it, it was just that it was quite overwhelming.

"Hi there! I'm Ray." he said with a warm smile.

"Uhh... I'm uh, S-Syren." she stammered.

He laughed tenderly and then asked, "I'm kinda new to this, so I might ask you a lot of questions. If that's not any trouble to you, of course!"

"N-not at all." she replied, still stammering.

Mr. Trench called the attention of the class, "Now class, we're going to get back to where we left off from yesterday. So we'll begin with-"

He was interrupted when a student called out, "Hold on a sec! The new guy needs to sing first!" Many other students agreed with the opinion.

There was no way around it, "Well Mr. Ray... I guess you gotta strut your stuff first."

"Oh, okay then." Ray said, getting up

He swam up to the front of the classroom and began tapping out a beat with his hoof. He took a deep breath of water into his gills, and then let the first few lyrics of the song flow from his lips.

"You want me to come over,
I got an excuse.
I may be holding your hoof,
But I'm holding it loose.
First we talk, then we choke,
It's like our neck's in a noose.
Avoid the obvious,
We need to face the truth.
I start to think it could be fizzlin' out
Kinda shocked, cause I never really had any doubts
Look into your eyes, imagine life withoutcha..."

He paused and then looked at Syren with a fierce look of concentration.

"And the love Kickstarts again."

His classmates clapped profusely, in a frenzy from the smoothness of his singing voice. Mr. Trench approached him.

"Good job, Mr. Ray. I must tell you though, I have a strong feeling against land pony songs."

"Oh, ok sir. I'll take note of that for the future." said the Capricorn, returning to his seat.

For the rest of the class period, other ponies got up and sang. But Syren wasn't focusing on them. Instead she was thinking about the mastery that was Ray's voice. His somewhat higher pitched voice made the song a perfect match tone wise. The dynamics of his voice shifted perfectly with the song, and his vibrato was unreal.

Syren felt a tap on her arm. She turned and saw Ray lean in to whisper something into her ear.

"Would you mind meeting me in The Reef after school? I need some help with my voice."

The shock of what he just said stunned Syren for a moment. Then she looked at him and nodded.

(The song is Kickstarts, by Example on Won't Go Quietly)