• Published 13th May 2012
  • 1,934 Views, 27 Comments

Syren Song - Lucario247



Capricornian pony meets fluttershy

  • ...
0
 27
 1,934

Chapter 1: Orinoco Flow

Chapter 1: Orinoco Flow

"Let me sail, let me sail, let the Orinoco flow.
Let me reach, let me beach on the shores of Tripoli.
Let me sail, let me sail, let me crash upon your shore.
Let me reach, let me beach far beyond the Yellow Sea."

Syren then hummed the beat until the next verse came up.

"From the North to the South, Ebudae unto Khartoum.
From the deep Sea of Clouds to the Island of the Moon.
Carry me on the waves to the lands I've never been.
Carry me on the waves to the lands I've never seen.
We can sail, with the Orinoco flow.
We can sail... sail away...
We can steer, we can near with Rob Dickins at the wheel.
We can sigh, say good-bye Ross and his dependencies.
We can sail away..."

When she was done singing the song her fellow classmates clapped for her, however, her teacher gave her a stern look.

"Now, Syren, you know how I feel against land pony music."

"I'm sorry, Mr. Trench. Its just that this is such a magical song!"

He sighed and said, "Alright, you pass this one, but from now on, no more land pony music."

"Yes sir!" replied Syren

The school gong sounded, signaling the end of school.

"Now remember class, those who haven't sung yet must have their songs by tomorrow, or they will get a zero. See you all tomorrow."

The students got out of their seats and headed either towards the exit or towards Mr. Trench to talk. Syren swam to the exit. She swam through the circular doorway and and stopped just outside the classroom. She let her turquoise hair wave in the soft current. She glanced up at the shimmering surface.

Syren felt that she needed some clean water in her gills, so she decided to head towards The Reef.

Using her Capricorn magic, her tail slowly enveloped her hind legs, until her entire lower body was that of a fishes. She then swam towards The Reef.

When she arrived she sat at her favorite spot, on top of the red brain coral. She watched as a school of colorful fish swirled and undulated around her, smiling gleefully. But her observation of the fish was interrupted when she saw... him.

Ray wasn't very popular at school, but he did have a lot of friends. He was swimming through The Reef with to of his pals, chatting.

Unbeknownst to him, he was being watched by an extremely love-struck mare. Syren had hidden behind the brain coral when he drew near enough to see her.

When Ray and his friends left, Syren ascended from her hiding place, and sighed in obvious affection. She sat and hummed the chorus to "Orinoco Flow" while fantasizing about Ray and herself.

"Whelp, better head home." she said to herself

She swam out of the park and headed towards the pod that she and her mother shared. When she opened the door, she was greeted by Jet, her pet Batray.

"Hi, Jet! It's nice to see you, too!" she giggled as he swam around her in delight. He was full of abnormal energy today, and Syren knew what that meant.

"Ugh, did Mom forget to feed you, again?" she asked the Batray. At the words "feed you", his tail started swishing around.

"Well I guess I'll have to fix that, Hm?" she said to Jet, rubbing his sleek, frictionless back.

He flipped in mid-water, turned and glided into the kitchen. Syren swam in and pulled out a jar full of sliced shrimp. She unscrewed the lid and let the contents float out of the jar. Immediately, Jet zoomed around and ate the pieces of meat, one by one.

Syren swam to another cupboard and pulled out a container of Sargason Weed, her favorite after school snack. She headed to the table and started munching, until the door opened.

"Hi, Mom. You forgot to feed Jet again," Syren said with a mouthful of kelp.

"Chew with your mouth closed, dear. Honestly, were you raised in a grotto?" asked Remora, her mother, paying no attention to what her daughter actually said.

She went to the chilled box and pulled out a Fresh Water Fizz and undid the cap.

"So how was your day at school?" asked Remora after taking a sip of the drink.

"Good. I sang my song in choir today."

"Oh really? What did Mr. Trench say about that?"

Syren looked down at the table and said, "He said that I ONLY passed because I sang it perfectly."

"Why'd he say that?"

"Because the song was the land pony one."

Remora sighed and said, "Honestly, I don't know why you even use their songs in the first place."

"Because they're beautiful songs, Mom!" Syren was getting annoyed about how everyone thought about the Equestrians, "What's the deal with everypony not liking the land ponies!"

Her mother threw her hooves in the water and said, "Aw for the love of Prince Pisces, Syren! There you go using that word, "everypony", how absurd."

Syren had had enough. She got up and flung open the door to the pod. She them swam out as fast as she
could. Jet followed behind her. She heard her mother calling her name but she didn't stop or look back. She was heading to her place of solitude.

Syren swam towards the shoreline. She saw the lone rock that she loved to lean against and sing by. Her head broke the surface and she closed her gills, pulling air into her dormant lungs. She swam to the rock and put her back against it. She thought about what her mother had said.

"It's not about the songs, it's about the land ponies,"thought Syren, "It's just so frustrating always being scolded when you associate something of your life with them."

She glanced down at her cutie mark. At the music note that symbolized her special talent: singing. She was always complimented about how good she is at singing. Even her friend, Ripple, said that she was the greatest singer in the city of Aquarius. Oh, how desperately Syren wanted to live up to that name.

She let out a soft sigh and glanced at the far horizon. It was a somewhat foggy day on the surface. She felt a tapping down by her leg and looked down. Jet was there, looking at her pleadingly.

"It'll be okay, Jet." said Syren, not entirely sure herself.

"What'd you say?" said a voice ON the shoreline.

(The name of the song is Orinoco Flow by Enya on Watermark.)