• Published 13th May 2012
  • 1,935 Views, 27 Comments

Syren Song - Lucario247



Capricornian pony meets fluttershy

  • ...
0
 27
 1,935

Chapter 2: Sea Tears

Chapter 2: Sea Tears

Syren nearly shot out of the water in surprise. She stuffed a scaly hoof into her mouth as to keep herself from screaming. To make herself reassured, she also put a hoof on Jet's mouth. He looked at her in annoyance.

"I didn't say anything." replied a quieter voice from the beach

"Oh I thought you said something. Must have been those pesky gulls."

"Pesky?!"

Syren glanced around the rock, just enough so she could peek out without being seen. On the shore she saw two ponies. They were both Pegasi! One was cyan with rainbow colored hair, and the other was yellow with pink hair.

"Anyways Fluttershy, I need you to take over cloud control while I'm gone." said the cyan one

"I'm not so sure, Rainbow Dash... You know how much trouble I've had with clouds in the past." replied the yellow one shyly.

"C'mon! It'll only be for a week. I can't trust Thunderlane to do it. He'd probably just blow it off."

"Oh, um...ok."

"You will? Thanks Fluttershy!" the cyan one hugged the one named "Fluttershy"

They were sitting on a red and white, checkerboard blanket. They had a basket that was overflowing with food, LAND food. Not the moist slimy kelp that the Capricore eat. Sandwiches, pasta, berries, it took all of Syren's self control to keep herself from walking up there and chowing down. She shook herself back to her senses and continued watching. Food was one of her weak points.

Syren had heard all about the land Equestrians in school. They were rumored to be...unpredictable. Unstable. Although Syren didn't believe in these claims, she'd never seen a real land pony in real life before, so she had no knowledge of these visitors except for the inferences of the Capricore. Syren had seen the surface land before, through an observational telescope. She had watched the great castle known as Canterlot. It appeared that the citizens had some zany traditions. Syren observed a pink sphere encircling the castle, and dark colored ponies bouncing on the sphere. She also observed a rainbow colored pulse followed by an arching rainbow, itself.

Syren continued to watch the two Pegasi as they chit chatted. The subject of the conversation often shifted, going from "...Need a turtle care book from Twilight..." to "...Angel hasn't been feeling well...". Syren didn't know what they were talking about, but it was still interesting to watch two fellow equines conversing. She felt a squirming under her hoof and looked down. Her hoof was still on Jet's sucker like mouth. She mouthed an apology as she removed the hoof. His eyes would've lit on fire if he wasn't a sea creature.

Syren's attention returned to the Pegasi. It appeared that they were getting ready to leave. They shoved the stuff into the basket and then went off, the cyan one flying while the yellow one walked. She let out her breath, apparently she had been holding it. She had a sudden wave of excitement.

"I've actually documented how land Equestrians converse, in the flesh!"

As she normally did when she celebrated a victory, she began to sing.

"This was a triumph.
I'm making a note here: HUGE success.
It's hard to overstate
my satisfaction."

She was about to sing the second verse when something fell into the water next to her with a splash. Upon closer inspection, the object was a picnic basket with a red and white, checkerboard blanket on the top. Syren looked up at the top of the rock.

Standing there, mouth open in shock, stood the yellow Pegasus, looking at Syren.

Syren sat there for a moment, staring back. Her face probably mirrored the shock of the Pegasus.

Then she turned and bolted, diving into the deep blue sea. Her salty tears mixing with the salty water.

(The song is Still Alive by Jonathan Coulton)


Fluttershy returned home with many questions on her mind.

"What was that?" she thought to herself

When she and Rainbow Dash left the beach after their picnic, Fluttershy had realized that she had forgotten her sunscreen. She said goodbye to Rainbow Dash and trotted back to the beach. She was walking up to where her sunscreen sat, when she heard somepony singing. It was coming from the other side of a rock that was sitting by the shore. Fluttershy hopped on top of it and peered down at the singer. Her jaw went slack and the picnic basket slipped from her mouth, falling into the water. This caught the...pony's attention. She turned and made the same expression as Fluttershy. And then she dove into the water, revealing a fish like tail. It appeared that there was a Batray that followed her.

Fluttershy was extremely curios as to what what this creature was.

"Does it-she need my help? Is she alone?" Fluttershy needed answers.

She walked over to Twilight's house. As she swung the door open, she was greeted by her unicorn friend.

"Hello there Fluttershy! What brings you here?" said Twilight with polite enthusiasm.

"Um, I'd like to borrow a book, if that's, um, alright with you..." replied the meek Pegasus

"Well of course you can! What book would you like to borrow?"

"Um I'd like one about sea creatures."

Twilight's horn glowed as a book floated into the air. "Here you are, "Creatures of the Abyss"."

"Um not to be rude or anything but, um could I actually have a book about mythical sea creatures? Or sea monsters...if that's alright with you of course."

Twilight was puzzled about her friends choice of literature, "Are you sure that's the kind of stuff you want to be learning about, Fluttershy? We know more about space then we do the sea, you know."

"Oh yes. I'm positive."

"Ok then." Twilight retrieved the book and handed both to Fluttershy.

"Thank you so much Twilight! I'll return these as soon as possible."

"No problem. Don't be a stranger!" she called after the Pegasus after she left.

Fluttershy hurried back to her cottage. She flung the door open, dropped the books onto the carpet, and then sprawled onto the floor. Her animal friends came to observe what she was doing, but she paid them little attention. She began on the first page of the mythical creatures book.

Fluttershy vowed to herself that she would see this creature again, even if she died trying.