• Published 5th Apr 2015
  • 1,105 Views, 9 Comments

Pony Immortal - VectorSprite



What will Twilight do now that she's immortal? What would anypony do?

  • ...
4
 9
 1,105

Rarity: Love

Before Rarity knew she was immortal she and Spike had dated for a period of time, but Spike had not been able to maintain their relationship. He realized that although the age difference between them wasn't that large, as a dragon he was still far too young. Despite still being in love, Spike ended it and left Ponyville to live amongst his own kind. Rarity was heart broken, but she knew it would only be harmful to Spike and herself if she didn’t let him go.

With Spike gone Rarity wasn't sure how to move on. She considered going back to her old plan of marrying into royalty, but after having been with Spike that old dream felt childish, and the royalty she had met hardly as classy as she imagined. Still, Rarity found herself moving to Canterlot and opening a shop. It was there she met a stallion who had a business close to Rarity's. He wasn't royalty, but he sure made her feel like a princess. Together they moved back to Ponyville and were married by Twilight. They would have lived happily ever after together, but the loss of Rarity’s mortality changed that.

They had planned to have kids together, but when Twilight had revealed the truth Rarity had her tubes tied. She initially lied and told him that she was barren, but eventually she could no longer hide the fact that she wasn't ageing. She admitted that he had no choice but leave her behind, frozen in time. She then explained that living without him will be hard, but outliving her own children was something she wouldn't have been able to cope with. He understood as he always did.

Eventually he did die and Rarity was again heart broken. She thought about moving back to Canterlot, or maybe Manehattan, but she decided on staying in Ponyville. When she had left before it was to find someplace new to move on from the past, but she realized all she needed to do was wait and the world around her would change to something new. Even if she wanted to stay someplace familiar it would still become unrecognizable over time. Ponies would come and go and the world would change, but she would just stay the same. At first Rarity resented Twilight for making her this way, but now that she knew exactly the alienation Twilight faced, Rarity was glad she did it. Rarity couldn't stand the idea of Twilight facing this alone.

Eventually Spike returned to Ponyville. He was bigger, but still not a full sized dragon as he had never given into his greed. When he saw Rarity again they both found that the love they felt towards one another was still there. Rarity felt guilt over this. She felt it dishonored the memory of her late husband to consider remarrying. She resisted for a number of years, but in that time she got to know the new Spike. He was more mature and refined, almost exactly like the imaginary prince Rarity would fantasize about. She imagined the young Spike and how hard it would be for him to act that way. What kind of dragons did he live with that could have turned him into such a gentlecolt?

One day spike explained to Rarity that his time amongst his people taught him who he really was, and it was the only way he could have matured. But despite this he was born amongst ponies, and it was with ponies he truly belonged. Spike knew returning to Ponyville meant condemning himself to a life in which he would outlive most his friends and loved ones. He then placed his claws over her hoof and said “but it turns out it doesn't have to be that way.”

Rarity realized that by himself Spike faced the same sorrow as her, but together they could both be free. So Rarity agreed to marry him, and Twilight again performed the ceremony. Rarity always had the romantic idea she would only ever have one husband, but she realized it was ok because Spike wasn't just her second husband, but also her first love. Their union would eventually change the relationship of ponies and dragons which lead to mutual prosperity for both species.

As Ponyville became a bigger and bigger tourist destination the Carousel Boutique became more and more popular. Ponies from all over Equestria would come just so they could say “I bought it from Rarity.” Knowing of her marriage to Spike, dragons eventually started to visit and Rarity pioneered dragon fashion. It wasn't long after that griffins started coming around eager to shop from the famous interspecies fashion designer.

At some point Rarity began to hate sleeping. She had made an estimation of when she would have died, averaging the life spans of mares in her family and the deaths of their spouses Rarity figured it would have been one year to the day of her first husband. She thus decided that every single minute beyond that day was a precious gift from Twilight, and sleeping squandered that gift. She went to Luna, the princess of the night, in hopes that she could find a way to make sleep unnecessary for her. Luna was pleased that a pony found her night so precious. Using alchemy Luna extrapolated a small piece of her essence and turned it into a potion, which Rarity drunk. Now, rather than sleeping Rarity now became refreshed by the night itself. Spike still lived within his normal life span so Rarity didn’t have a problem with him sleeping, but he still got up early every morning to watch the sunrise with her.