• Published 7th Jun 2015
  • 672 Views, 53 Comments

The Transporter: Second Gear - Unit_ZER0



After the events of The Transporter, Morris Cole has kept up with his side business. But this assignment is a bit different...

  • ...
2
 53
 672

Part 18: Horsepower

The changeling forces arrayed at the end of the short corridor had been confident they could stop these intruders, no matter what strangely effective weapons and techniques they had brought with them. After all, they had completely wrecked the previous machine, and with several explosive trap spells being prepped even now, there was no way this new one would fare any better. Even the assault of light and sound had been anticipated, at least partially, but the sudden acceleration had not.

As the machine, for that was what it had to be, leaped towards them, an unholy scream coming from its black wheels, the unicorn-generated barrier in front of them blinked out, and the changelings in the front ranks opened fire. In a shocking turn of events, the incoming magical bolts didn’t punch through the surface if the machine, or even break its windows, instead glancing off the body and windshield, leaving faint streaks of carbon.

The Optima leapt forwards, having gone from a dead stop to nearly 200KPH in the scant tens of meters between it and the forces arrayed to stop it. As its acceleration reached maximum, a new barrier flickered into being, this one a fiery orange, with a wedge-like prow shape. The shielded vehicle plowed into the massed changelings like a cannonball, it’s wedge shape allowing it to deflect the insectile creatures in a wave to either side. An added benefit to this was that by deflecting them, rather than colliding with them, the vehicle lost no momentum, and anyling caught in the vehicles path was forcefully shoved up and away, instead of crushed.

Still, Gossamer couldn’t help but feel guilty seeing her former fellows being tossed violently aside as they swept past. Earth Mover caught her gaze, and gestured to her horn. “I added a friction and impact reducing effect to my shield. They’ll be fine. Bruised, but fine.”

“I’m not sure I deserve you going out of your way like that…”

“I did it because it was the right thing to do. I’d say the majority of the ones we ran into today were given as little of a choice as you were.”

“…Still… Thanks.”

As the Optima continued to accelerate, Cole kept a course headed outwards, fortunately, that meant he had only one screaming sideways skid to make, before they were headed straight for the outer wall of the hive, and Trixie’s horn began to glow again, as she readied a familiar set of kinetically energized projectiles.

From the outside of the mesa, Celestia’s sun had just broken the horizon, and the surrounding desert was beginning to lighten considerably from the predawn it had been under a few minutes before. The mesa wall was featureless, solid, until an arch or glowing blue spikes abruptly punched through the sandstone, flashing brightly before exploding. The resulting hole was almost immediately filled with the speeding Optima, as the human machine tore out of the unicorn-generated exit in a blast of sound and fury.

Cole kept his foot to the floor, as the team, package, and passengers made their escape. The sensors on his instrument panel showed the same thing his eyes had: a clear, flat desert hardpan, marked with the occasional rock, or desert plant. Still, that was what he had seen the first time they’d been running from a changeling pursuit across the desert as well… On the rear camera, their pursuers filled the sky like a kicked hornet’s nest, which quickly began to sparkle, as magic bolts then began to rain down.

Fortunately, Earth Mover was up to providing extra shielding, as the stray bolts that did end up on-target were deflected easily by momentary shields that flashed into being in the fractions of a second before impact.

“How soon until we’re clear?” Sergeant Stormcloud called over the din of impacting energy bolts.

“As soon as I can find a flat stretch of ground.” the human called back.

Cole’s silent prayers were answered when the ground smoothed out, and he was able to put his foot all the way to the floor. The Optima leapt forward, and kicked up a wake of dust and sand for a good distance behind it as the group made their escape.


It was getting towards evening when they rolled back into the station at Appaloosa. From there, it was a simple matter to use the clearance they’d initially received to roll the human’s vehicle aboard its specialized railcar, and from there to ride back to Canterlot, and the Transportation Division’s de facto headquarters, where an unexpected visitor awaited them.


“I thought ‘twould be appropriate that I greet you upon your return, Cole, Sergeant.”

Princess Luna had wasted no time in reaching the Transport Division stables once she’d spotted the train pulling in, and after grabbing two of her regular guard detail, had eagerly awaited their return.

“And greetings to you as well Miss Lullamoon, Princess Earth Mover, and I see we have a new arrival?”

“Gossamer, your highness.” The changeling in question said, before retreating behind Earth Mover as well as she was able.

“There is no need for you to fear, young changeling. We are not so impolite as to immediately ascribe wrong motives to your kind upon mere sight alone.”

“That’s… good… your highness.”

“Still, it is not beyond the realm of sanity to insist you accompany Us for a simple vetting.”

At Earth Mover’s silent assurance, Gossamer looked between the group she’d attached herself to, and the calm presence of the princess of the Night.

At the assuring nod from the Pegasus sergeant, the newest changeling to join their group of irregulars trotted over to the two night guards, and awkwardly saluted.

“No need for that, Miss.” One of them said calmly, “Just need you to come with us, and get checked into the grounds. You can rejoin the others in a bit.”

With a last look over her shoulder, Gossamer allowed herself to be escorted to the security division’s offices.

As the trio made their way out of sight, the Princess nodded firmly, and returned her attention to the others. “And were you successful in your other mission?”

A grin crossed Earth Mover’s tired face, and she gestured into the still open door of the Optima at the package that had finally arrived at its intended destination.

“Indeed we were, your highness. Princess Luna, please allow me, as an ambassador of the Changeling race, to present to you, the artifact known as the Ark of Queens. Its contents have been lost to time, but may provide a foundation to bridge the gap between our two species.”

As Earth Mover had made her impromptu presentation, Cole and the others had silently stood off to one side, and let their rescue direct the conversation. Once she’d detected a suitable break, Trixie walked up to the two princesses, and asked the question that had been burning in her mind since the rescue.

“Please excuse the interruption Princess, but I have a question for Earth Mover.”

Sensing what the question would be, the princess raised an eyebrow, and then gave a silent almost-chuckle. “I am curious as to the answer as well. Go ahead, Miss Lullamoon.”

“Earth Mover, when exactly were you going to fill us in on the fact that you were a changeling?”

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment