• Published 28th Feb 2015
  • 10,595 Views, 911 Comments

The Completely Normal Pet of Spike the Dragon - DauntedSuperior



Spike, in his spare time that seemed abundant in the past few months, has been keeping a secret from Twilight. That secret's name is Scruffy, the completly normal, mundane, and in no way special, little black kitty... If only that were true.

  • ...
22
 911
 10,595

Just the Beginning

With Scruffy seeming to have fallen asleep, I looked around at the crusaders and the crushed spider, “So, how did you girls manage to move that rock?”

“What?” Apple Bloom asked as she stuck her hoof over Sweetie Belle’s mouth to shut her up, “I didn’t hear ya.”

I picked up Scruffy in my claws and held him against my chest, “How did you move that rock?”

“Oh we didn’t.” Scootaloo said with a smile, “They did.” she looked up towards the ceiling and I followed her eyes. Currently lowering themselves from the ceiling were two fairly big and very familiar looking spiders. Scootaloo had a big smile plastered across her muzzle, “We ran into them after we ran off and they said they came to help.”

Apple Bloom stepped in front of her, “Then Sweetie said somethin ‘bout wishin she could squash it like the spiders at home and that gave me this idea.” she finished proudly looking over towards the crushed spider with twitchy legs.

‘We are sorry we couldn't come sooner little drake.’ the lead spider stated in my head as they touched the ground, ‘We are happy to have made it in time to assist.’

Once again I looked at the rock then back to the spiders, “How did you get that thing up in the air without us hearing you?”

‘We didn't. This chunk of rock used to be in the ceiling of this cavern. We cut it out while you were fighting mother and held it up with our web until the right moment.’

“They tore it out of the ceiling, but I didn’t think they were going to need to help with how you and Scruffy were kicking her but!” Sweetie stated very happily, seeming to not hear the lead spider’s words, “The way you ran up and bit that big spider’s leg to save Scruffy, it was amazing!”

“Oh, uh,” I scratched the back of my head, “That wasn’t anything special. I could only distract her long enough for Scruffy to be able to leap back onto her.”

‘Do not underestimate your own abilities.’ the lead spider stated, ‘Even in her delirious state of mind the damage you were able to do is certainly amazing. It was my thinking that your kitten friend had a better grasp on his magic that what he had shown.’

“What are you talking about? You guys were awesome! How could you say it wasn’t?” Scootaloo exclaimed before she started messing around with the camera on her hoof.

A large twitch of the mother spider’s legs drew my attention back towards the flattened spider, “Uh, will she be alright?” the lead spider didn’t answer, “I know you said she’s immortal, but that’s got to hurt right?”

‘Yes, and-’

“Immortal?” Scootaloo looked up from the camera and looked at the other crusaders. Sweetie started to explain while the lead spider continued without pause.

‘-she has passed out from the pain, but this was the plan. When she awakens she will be calmer and more reasonable. As long as we remove the boulder before she wakes. Do not worry, you have saved your village and you will be rewarded like the heroes you are.’

“Reward?” besides Scruffy mentioning it a few seconds before he fell asleep this was the first I had heard of it. I also saw the crusaders off to the side stop talking and look up.

‘Yes. It is customary to give adventurers such as yourselves rewards for your services rendered. To not do so would be an insult... We can not give you your reward at this time though, as we are not allowed to give out anything more than bits unless permitted by mother. We are sorry.’

I was kind of let down by that, despite not even expecting a reward in the first place, “Well, it’s fine, though Scruffy asked me to get the reward before we left.”

‘As I said we can give you bits, but we will contact you when Mother has calmed down enough for you to receive a proper reward.’

“I guess that would be okay.” I stated a little unsure as the spider leaned down to the ground.

‘Climb on, we will take you back to your camp.’ that got a smile out of me. I hadn’t been looking forward to the long walk back through the winding tunnels. We would of probably got lost if I hadn’t been able to find Scruffy’s scent trail. Not many things smell like lilacs underground.

Smiling, I climbed on the lead spider and the crusaders climbed on the second, ‘I wonder if they have names... probably would have been a good idea to ask before all of this.’ for some reason Sweetie looked disappointed when the spider I was on got up before she got on the one with the other crusaders, ‘Weird.’

With how I could no longer make eye contact with the spider the trip back was mostly spent in silence for me and Scruffy. The other spider with the crusaders was too far back to actually talk to them, so I was left to think about just what had all happened over the course of one night.

My best friend told me he got superpowers from the ghost of one of the most famous unicorns of all time just after waking me up to go and find Apple Bloom, Scootaloo, and Sweetie Belle. The resulting adventure was completely random. Going from searching for some missing fillies to talking to giant spiders, to helping Scruffy take down an immortal spider with magic.

At some points I was more confused than I had ever been. Others I was scared out of my mind like during the fight with the mother spider. Then right now, when everything was finished and we were on our way back I was near falling asleep myself, feeling more tired than I could ever remember.

On top of all of that though, the sense of accomplishment was unlike anything I had ever felt. When the crusaders and I had walked out of the tunnels into the seemingly endless cavern I felt a chill run down my spine.

I remember only one other time I had gotten that feeling and that was when I had followed the dragon migration and saw the Macintosh Mountains up close for the first time. The feeling of looking at them and knowing I was getting to the other side no matter what was exactly how I felt when I entered that cavern.

Though paying for a train ride through them with one of the gems I brought made the feeling disappear I never forgot how it felt.

Looking down at Scruffy I couldn’t help but smile and think, ‘What other crazy adventures are you going to get me into?'

Author's Note:

Hmm, after working on my other story a bit and that last chapter being twice as long as normal, this feels short... *shrugs* Oh well.

Be sure to comment! :pinkiehappy: You may think that it doesn't get these out any faster, but it does!