• Published 23rd Feb 2015
  • 2,070 Views, 120 Comments

Avatar: The Last Alicorn. Book 4: Alicorn - Jeweled Pen



Book four of the Avatar series, with Discord free and the story under his control, what danger awaits our heroes?

  • ...
7
 120
 2,070

PreviousChapters Next
Avatar shortie 9: Goodbye

The skies above were dark and gray, though no water fell from them. An aura of sadness hung in the air as dozens of ponies stood around a great, stone statue of a pegasus mare surrounded by foals and little animals.

So many ponies coming to Ponyville would normally be a time of celebration and excitement, but nopony could bring themselves to squeal with delight or party as they silently watched the casket slowly being lowered into the ground before the statue. Once there had been a different statue of the same mare, but this time there would be no awakening from it.

Ponies from all over the countries had come to share their grief. Some for the loss of the yellow pegasus, others for the loss of those who had never truly been given a chance to have a funeral of their own. The war had taken much from the ponies and now the ripples it had caused had finally claimed the life of one of their kindest.

Even the Water Nation had sent a small procession, Rarity standing alone small group of water benders. Though there were still some bad feelings between the nations, none could think of violence on a day like today. Not on her day.

The silence turned deafening as a pink mare slowly trotted through the crowd. Despite the fact she was quite a few years older than most of the ponies here, she barely had any wrinkles or marks on her skin to show her age. Only the slightest dimming of her mane stood as a testament to how old she was finally becoming. She stood in front of the crowd and sat down.

She let out a deep breath. “Friends, we all have gathered here today for one simple reason. The passing of Fluttershy. I... I know this is a hard time for most of you. No, for all of you. You've all been touched by her in one way or another. I'm sure there's one thing you're all asking. 'Why?' She wasn't old enough for this. She should have had years left. She didn't deserve it.” She took a deep breath. “Well, knock it off. This was Fluttershy!” She thrust a hoof over the hole in the ground, tears welling up in her eyes. “She... she was the greatest of all of us. She never wanted to fight, she was terrified of it. But when she had to, she made sure to charge in with the rest of us. More than anything though, she was willing to give of herself. When the Avatar nearly... when Twilight died. She could have let her. She could have stood by and watched her friend leave. There was nothing we could do. There was...” Her body trembled. “If... if things had happened the way they were supposed to, she'd still be with us. But they didn't. Discord didn't let them. Twilight would have been gone and the world would have been lost. But she didn't let it. She stood up! She knew it would cost her her bending. She knew it would cost her part of her very life! But she didn't care. She gave everything she had to... to save her. To save all of us.” She looked towards the hole and trembled a little more.

“Fluttershy was an amazing pony. She never cared who you were, where you came from. She only cared if you were her friend and if you could be. I'm pretty sure if there had been any good in Discord, she could have even turned him to good. In fact, I know she could have. Would have without a second guess. She was probably the most frightened of all of us.” She stomped a hoof again. “But that made what she did all the more important. All the greater. She was terrified, but she never let it stop her. Never let it scare her. Even when she thought she'd lose everything, she never stopped. Never gave up.” She took a deep breath. “Now... now there are some more ponies who... have some things. Mayor Mare?”

A very old, gray maned pony slowly stood up and walked towards the front of the crowd. Her steps were slow and gradual, but she refused any help until she made it to the front, sitting down. Unlike Pinkie, her voice was small and weak and a small amplification cone had to be hovered in front of her.

“Now... I know most of you ponies don't know me,” she mumbled softly. “Ponyville has never really been a large settlement, or popular. But we were fortunate enough to be the birth place of three of this generation's greatest heroes and the rebirthing place of the Avatar. When I... when I heard that Fluttershy had passed, I must admit I couldn't believe it. But it brings me great comfort to know she passed peacefully, surrounded by the ponies she knew and loved. I remember when she was just a young filly, so tiny and gentle. Couldn't hurt a... hurt a fly.” She took a slow, deep breath. “I... never thought then I would grow to outlive her. And I never would have guessed she would be one of the mare's to change this world for the better. I am not surprised to know that it was her kindness that served as a guiding light to ponies.”

She took a deep breath. “She, Pinkie and Rainbow were inseparable. Even though the latter could not be with us today, I'm sure wherever she is, her heart is sent along with her friend.” She paused. “I once... thought when I retired, she would be the one to take my place. I know she would have been an amazing mayor. She would have ruled with kindness and grace, a sort most of us could only imagine.” She took a deep breath and wiped a few tears from her eyes. “And I know if she were here now, exactly what she would say. 'Oh, all of you ponies need to stop mourning me and get inside where it's warm! Oh bother, you'll catch your death of chill'.” There was a light, halfhearted chuckle from the ponies. “We've all heard the stories of her adventures, all of their adventures. In the end, Fluttershy was a hero to us all; her kindness will shine as a beacon for generations to come.” She took one last deep breath and looked over.

“Now, I think I've talked long enough. Please, take a moment and listen to Fluffle's, Fluttershy's final caretaker.”

The gray mare stepped down slowly from the stage as a green unicorn with a light yellow mane stood up and walked past her. He turned to face the crowd and took a deep breath. “Now... I doubt most of you know me, that's probably not surprising. I was one of the many, many ponies she aided after she finished helping to... well, save the world. One of the fortunate few able to aid her when her time came.” He gave a small smile, though tears lingered in his eyes. “I... wish I had a good story about how we met. About how we were instantly friends. But the truth of the matter, the first time I met her, heck, the first week I knew her, were spent with me trying to kill her. I was only a foal at the time, so I had no actual capability to do it. But as a water bender, I believed it was my duty, that it was something I needed to do.” He took a deep breath, the words seeming to turn heavy as he struggled to keep them up.

“I... I was an orphan, one of many from the war. One of... thousands. Maybe even millions. I couldn't really wrap my head around the whole war, but I knew we lost and I blamed the other countries and the Avatar for the lost of my home and my parents.” He took a deep breath.. “Other... ponies had given up on me. I was always fighting and lashing out. My magic made it all the more difficult. Finally I ended up on Fluttershy's door, amongst with so many others. She... she told me exactly who she was.” The tears welled up in his eyes and he had to blink them away, shaking his head. It took a few seconds to calm himself. “She even apologized to me. Told me... told me how sorry she was for what she did. She acted as if the lost of my family and home was her fault, personally. Even when I hurt her, when I cut her, lashed out, struck her. Did everything I could to make her bleed, if not physically, then emotionally, she never struck back. Stars know she had every right to.”

“I heard what others said. How she should just send me to the Water Nation. But she refused. She knew I'd just be sent along again and again, going from home to home. Even though I hated her, she still loved me and wanted to give me... give me back a part of what I lost. A home. Even when I ran away, when I tried to cause problems. Even when I tried to hurt others. She was always there to be by me, guiding me back, showing me... showing me where I belonged.” The tears flowed without stopping now. “My story is just one of the hundreds, maybe thousands of lives she changed. She threw her whole into what she cared about, even when it hurt her. Even when it destroyed her. And what she cared about was us. She wanted to make sure every single pony, even ponies who viewed her as an enemy, had a home. Not just a place to live, but a real home.”

He took a deep breath, his hoof grinding into the stage. “And... and it wasn't just us foals, either. She didn't care who you were. Water Nation, Earth Kingdom. Pony, minotaur. Foal or even adult. She would find a home for you. She'd believe in you when nopony else would. She would find someplace where you belonged. I spent the majority of my life beside her and I can't tell you how many ponies I've seen given a second chance that they never would have had if not for her. Or how many she gave a third, fourth, even fifth to when they didn't deserve it. Because at the end of the day, that's who she was. She never cared about who or what you were. She just cared that you were crying, or hurt, or needed kindness.” He had to stop and cover his face for a moment, sitting down.

“I once... I once asked her if she was afraid,” he practically whispered the words, his voice cracking with each one. “When she... when she helped the ponies who were once her enemy. I thought she'd say no, that she knew they'd be good.” He shook his head and moved his hoof. “She told me that half the time she was terrified. She didn't know if they'd try to hurt her or those she cared about. She didn't know if she could help them. But then she told me that, no matter what happened, she had to try. That it didn't matter how kind you were, if you didn't have the courage to act on it. So in the end... she... she had to at least try.” He took a deep breath and his eyes moved over to a small group in the crowd. Tear filled eyes matched his.

“Fluttershy... Fluttershy is gone now. And the world will be a worse place for it. But I and the others she left behind will do everything we can to continue her legacy. To live the way she would. She had only one lifetime to try and make this world a better place. I and the many others who felt her hoof will hopefully spread her legacy out for many more years to come. To... spread her kindness throughout the whole world. So... don't...” He took a deep breath and lowered his head. “Be sad. Please, be sad. Cry. Let it all out. Mourn her for the angel she was. But don't let it stop you from trying to be like her. None of us will ever be like Fluttershy. But that doesn't matter. As long as we all work together, then... I firmly believe we can create the kind of world she would have loved.”

He kept his head lowered as he trotted off the stage, making it back to his seat where he was promptly grabbed in a tight hug by a pegasus.

Pinkie stepped back onto the stage, wiping a few more tears from her eyes. “So... that about wraps things up. Everypony, let the uhhh... mingling begin. And if you want to say a few last words before Fluttershy is put to rest, well... she's here and in life I never knew her to turn an empty ear to anypony. Just make sure to--” She was cut off as a massive gust of air blew through the procession. Some ponies were nearly knocked over, but the wind died a moment later. The crowds looked around, but the source was nowhere to be seen. “Well, that was fun. Just make sure to remember her. In the end, we all adored her so much and... I know she's still here with us in spirit. Good bye.”

Author's Note:

And so marks the end of the shorts. The new generation begins soon. I hope you enjoy and have liked these little spoilers into the future.

PreviousChapters Next