• Published 23rd Feb 2015
  • 2,070 Views, 120 Comments

Avatar: The Last Alicorn. Book 4: Alicorn - Jeweled Pen



Book four of the Avatar series, with Discord free and the story under his control, what danger awaits our heroes?

  • ...
7
 120
 2,070

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 19: Our friendship's magic

Twilight let out a eek as she fell to the ground, looking around wildly. A moment later a spike of rock stabbed out from the ground, stopping only a few inches from her forehead. “Yah got her?” Flowerbloom asked before pushing a hoof down and sending the spike back into the ground. She then sent a hoof forward, raining rock spikes down at their attackers.

“Ah'm here!” Applejack said, confusion in her voice. “What in tarnation is goin' on?”

The alicorn looked around. There was water and rocks everywhere. Sweetie only had a little water, but she knew how to use it as she cleaved stones and rocks before they came near her, jumping and weaving as she went. Flowerbloom and Rainbow were working together, the earth pony directing the air bender where to fire as she used her earth bending to deflect and block the attacks at them. Gilda was keeping anypony who got close out of the way, namely by picking them up, body slamming or just generally making sure they had a bad time. Her greater size was quickly coming in handy.

Unfortunately, they were fighting a losing battle. The doors were being cleared out and the walls were on the verge of collapse. Long cracks were etched all over them and even parts of the roof had collapsed. There was no telling how long they'd been in there, but she could see the drops of sweat dripping from her friends and the way their movements were turning sluggish. Fortunately, they now had reinforcements.

“Applejack, come on!” she said before stomping a hoof. The earth pony mimicked the movement. A ripple spread out from the two, streaking across the ground before rising up into a wave, just past their friends. “We don't have to hold them off for long! Discord's control should wear off soon!”

“Soon may not be soon enough!” Rainbow yelled as she sent another burst of wind out, managing to send a pony who had tried to leap over the wave flying back through the walls.

“Defense, that's all we have to do. Applejack, Applebloom, just focus on that.” Twilight said before stomping her hooves again. Another wall formed up, behind the wave. It rose up, wrapping the ponies in a circle of stone. Sadly, it only lasted a few seconds before the earth benders on the other side began leaping through, blowing holes in it. “Rainbow, can you make a vortex with us in the eye of it? Make it swirl around the walls!”

“What walls?” Rainbow asked, her wings flapping as the winds began to pick up.

“The ones we'll make! Everypony get by Rainbow!” Twilight yelled. The others grouped up close. “Flowerbloom, help me keep the wall up! Applejack, keep anypony from going under it!”

The two earth ponies nodded and got to work, meshing their bending together. Outside the wall, the earth benders continued to try breaking it apart. However, together they managed to keep it standing, repairing holes as the ponies leaped through. They were then quickly caught in the vortex from Rainbow and sent spinning around the wind tunnel. Applejack tapped her hooves, knocking those who tried to sneak under them up into the air, making them get caught in the vortex as well. The alicorn looked back at her friends. “We're doing it! We've got this!”

Worry began to rise in her as she saw her friends. None of this was easy and she could see the strain it was causing on Rainbow, her wings struggling to maintain their speed as they flapped, each flap getting a little weaker as the winds began to slow down. Flowerbloom was the first to fall, collapsing to her knees and panting for air.

“Flowerbloom!” Applejack called out, reaching a hoof out.

“A-ah'm fine. Keep, keep goin'. A-ah can do this.” She surged her hoof forward, her repairs getting slower and slower as more and more holes formed in the wall. Then the vortex began to die as Rainbow's wings gave out and she fell to her knees. Twilight flapped her wings, trying to help it, but it was no use. There were too many of them, they were going to be overwhelmed. There was a shriek as Gilda was tackled by two earth benders who managed to make it through the barrier. They molded the earth around the griffon, capturing her.

Then it stopped. There were no new holes in the barrier, there was no more rumbling from below and those who were already within the barrier started to pull back. At least the ones who could stand without falling over or getting caught in the vortex. Twilight slowly let the winds die down, though she kept her wings out warily. “Mare Do Well?” she called out.

“Cease this attack!” the mare yelled. “Enough! Do not harm ze Avatar!”

The alicorn let out a sigh of relief. “I think we did it. We're going to be okay,” she said to the others. “Girls, how are you doing?”

“Ah'm confused. Bit of a jarrin' experience tah come out of there an' end up in the middle of a battlefield!” Applejack snapped, looking around. “Jus' what in tarnation has been goin' on while ah was under?”

“So very, very much,” Twilight said with a shake of her head. She waved her hoof and the wall fell. Mare Do Well was standing on the other end, a look of horror on her face.

“Deplorable, such, such travesty! Such horror! Such... unforgivableness!” the mare said as she shook her head.

“It's fine, you were under Discord's control,” Twilight said with a sigh. She was really getting tired of having to say that.

“Such... such tackiness!” Mare Do Well said as she looked at her hoof. “To think, still wearing this deplorable uniform! The shame! The humiliation! I cannot bear it! It went out of style months ago!”

Twilight narrowed her eyes. “What?”

“No! This uniform should have been tossed aside so long ago! Do not look at me!” the mare yelled before galloping off.

“What was that about?” Applejack asked, cocking an eye.

“I have no idea,” Twilight said before looking to the other earth benders. Those who weren't hurt were busy trying to help unbury and wake up those of them who had been. “So! Does anypony else plan on attacking us? Maybe launching a few earth spike, bringing down the roof, body slamming us?”

There was nothing but silence from the ponies as they quickly lowered their heads, shook them and mumbled weak little apologies.

“Good. How is everypony on our side?”

“I-I think... I'd almost welcome the whole relaxing and being pampered thing now,” Rainbow said with a groan. “I want some ice for my wings. Ow...”

“I want some ice for my everything...” Gilda mumbled.

Twilight let out a soft chuckle. “Good to know you're all okay then. How long were we in there for?”

The ponies didn't answer. Instead, all she received were a few groans and the collapse of Sweetie, the last to drop.

“Okay, let's get all of you somewhere to rest and relax,” Twilight said with a nervous smile. “Sorry.”

------

“I am so, so sorry!” Photo said, the Mare Do Well costume gone to reveal the blue earth pony with a white mane underneath. She was wearing her tinted red glasses and black and white dress once more. She was kneeling before the throne while Twilight and Applejack watched. Sitting on the throne was none other than Fancy Pants, the returned emperor.

He just gave a nervous, kind smile. “It's quite alright. The Avatar has already explained everything. You were quite out of yourself at the time, there was no way I, or anypony else, could have expected you to fight off such a powerful influence. I am just thankful the Avatar and her friends were able to release the bonds on all my ponies.” He gave a soft sigh. “And... thankful he didn't make me submit to such fel power.”

Twilight nodded slowly before looking to him. “Wait, you didn't? You mean you never felt his magic on you?” She stared at him warily.

“As near as I can tell, no.”

“I must be banished or executed or imprisoned! Or all three! I have brought great dishonor on my family and I!” Photo yelled as she shook her head.

“I wonder why? If he changed everypony else, why wouldn't he... oh.” She sighed and rubbed her forehead. “I'm guessing he wanted to make you... watch.” She glanced to Photo, who was on the ground, begging to be banished.

The emperor nodded and shook his head. “It was... difficult, watching and hearing my ponies squabble so. Even with the taint cleared from their minds, I think it will take years for the pain and conflict caused here to pass. Already I have dozens of ponies coming to me, demanding compensation for how they were cheated by others.” He turned to Photo and smiled. “I will not allow you to be banished or sent away. I need you now, more than ever. All of my ponies need you. At my side, where you belong. You will not abandon us in our hour of need, will you?”

“What? No! But I must be punished! To have done a great misdeed as I have done, is unforgiveable! Is a travesty! Is... is...”

“Cease this self degradation or you will have to wear the Mare Do Well costume from now on while in my service,” the emperor said firmly.

That made the mare pale. “NO! It has already gone away with the times! Is tacky now! I... I shall relent.”

“Good.” He turned back to Twilight. “This curse on my ponies, is it gone for good?”

Twilight sighed and gave a soft shrug. “I don't know. We've moved on too fast to see if he performs it again once we're gone. Unfortunately, we must leave again. We still have a lot to do and even more ponies to save. I'm sorry. What I can promise is that if he does return and unleashes his magic on you poor ponies, we will return to save you. We can and will defeat Discord once we are back together. We're almost there, as it is. Just two more elements to save.”

The stallion nodded. “I see.” He gave a soft sigh. “I... will do all I can to prepare and minimize the damage dealt by this monster, especially should he return. But...” He climbed off his throne and walked down the steps to look her in the eyes. “Please, Avatar. I beg of you. Stop this creature as fast as you can. This... is like nothing we've ever dealt with before. He doesn't just imprison a pony's body. He imprisons their very mind. The damage he has wrought is far worse than any I'd wish on any pony in the world.”

Twilight nodded. “I will. My friends are recovering, but we should be good to go after they've rested a bit.” She paused and gave a small shake of her head. “Trixie may come back. If you can... try to delay her as long as you can.”

The stallion nodded. “Of course. Our kingdom will not be in ruins, but we can make a fake statue to disguise your friend's departure. We can try to make her wait as long as we can, but I can make no promises. We... dare not openly fight her. Not as long as that thing backs her.”

“Of course,” Twilight said with a nod. “I wouldn't expect you to. Just delay as long as you can. I'm going to gather my friends and leave. Thank you.” She turned and trotted from the room, glancing out the windows as she walked. The courtyard was filled with angry ponies, those who had been cheated and scammed during the time of treachery. It was a sight that broke her heart.

------

A much better sight greeted Twilight as she stepped into the medical ward. Her friends were all up, eating, talking and in Rainbow's case, stretching. “Everypony feeling better?” the alicorn asked as she looked around.

“Nothing worse than a few pulled muscles,” Rainbow said with a smirk. “I feel right as rain. Time to go kick some butt, get the rest of our friends and thrash Discord, right?”

“Of course,” the avatar said with a grin. Judging by the smiles on the rest of her friend's faces, they were just as ready as her. “But we need to talk. As the only pony who has been inside all of these... dream things, I think I'd best tell you what I've figured out so far.” She took a deep breath, before letting out a sigh. “There is absolutely no pattern I can find.”

“What?” Rainbow asked, shaking her head. “That's stupid. Mine was simple, it--”

“Yes, it was. But they don't all work like that. They all seem to be dreams and follow their own little rules. I've talked to Spike, apparently when I was in Fluttershy's, he said I'd only been in there about ten minutes. But in the dream I had felt like I was stuck there for days. For Applejack's, I was in there for only a few hours before we escaped, but I was in there a lot longer than ten minutes. Time doesn't flow the same there so there is no telling how long we'll be in there when we go in.”

“If it's Discord's weird magic, it ain't surprisin' that time don't work right,” Applejack grumbled from her bed. Poor Flowerbloom was trapped in a very firm hug from her big sister, though she didn't seem to mind. “What else yah got for us?”

“Well, I haven't found any real patterns aside from they seem to be based around hindering our elements.” She pointed at her crown as it materialized on her head. “My dream seemed to be focused on making me afraid to make friends. On making connections. It made it hurt so much worse and fed off it. At its strongest, I didn't notice things even when they made no sense. For example, the entire world turned gray for a while and it never even occurred to me at the time that things were wrong. It wasn't until I turned to the help of the previous avatars that I was able to push it aside.” She then smiled. “And that seems to be the weakness.”

“The past avatars?” Rainbow asked.

“No. It's Discord's magic but... it's weaker. Not subtle in the slightest. Once I started realizing things were wrong, it couldn't cover them up fast enough. It tried and over extended, allowing me to see the faults and break through. It's like... being inside a dream and frightened, until you realize it's not a dream. Once that happens, the nightmares don't have enough control.”

“Well, that makes it seem pretty simple,” Gilda said with a snort. “So why do you need to even help them? Something that easy should be a cinch to break on their own.”

Twilight sighed. “It's... not that easy. Everypony, when you were in it, things you didn't understand or believe before made perfect sense, didn't they?” The ponies gave slow nods. “In the end, we need to just let the other pony know it's a dream, or push them. The problem is... well, each dream seems to be different. There seem to be new rules for each one.” She glanced to Fluttershy. “For example, in Fluttershy's dream, I was captured almost immediately in the darkness. I thought it was Discord's power, but it seemed to be her element. All I could do was call out to her. But that was enough.” She then turned to Rainbow. “Rainbow's was easier, in theory. I was able to appear inside her dream as myself, with Fluttershy. We were able to talk with her. But by then she'd been so twisted and lied to, that she didn't believe me. When she told us to go away, well... we couldn't fight it. It was like being dragged off.”

“Sorry about that,” Rainbow said sheepishly. “I wasn't in a good place and, well, it made sense at the time.”

“That seems to be the problem,” Twilight said with a shake of her head. “I think I can only do things that ponies expect. Fluttershy didn't expect a friend in the darkness, so I couldn't come out of it. Rainbow expected me to be there and to tell her lies, so nothing I said she believed. Applejack, well...” She turned to the earth bender. “Yours was the strangest of all.”

“What? Why? What was so special about mine?” the earth pony asked with a cocked eye.

“I couldn't talk to you. No, I could, but... you didn't see me. I tapped you a few times, you looked right at me and couldn't see me. I yelled in your ear, but you didn't hear me.” A grin formed on the alicorn's lips. “But there is still one good piece of news. We're not alone. I wasn't able to call to you, but I got help. Your element came to me, helped me change who I was to something you believed. Together, we were able to talk to you. Push you back to the pony we knew you were. That's the secret. In every dream, the elements are fighting against Discord's power and they seem to be what causes the weakness we can exploit.”

Rainbow nodded. “So, what you're telling us is basically, we have no idea what'll happen in each dream, but it's okay because the elements will be there as backup?”

“Well, yes. Hopefully.”

“Here's an idea,” the pegasus said. “What if the reason each one is different is because it's getting harder to get them out of it? Applejack had been in there the longest, maybe the element was too weak to talk to her and so it joined with you because it needed your help?”

Twilight paused and felt the color drain from her face. “That's... that can't be good. If that's the reason...” She shivered. “We'd best move quickly then. I imagine the next will be the most difficult of all.”

“Why?” Gilda asked with a cocked eye.

“We'll be going into the heart of the Fire Tribe lands. That is where Discord now reigns.” She took a slow, calming breath. “Even... worse than that. It is also where Pinkie is being held. Our dreams are all formed by things that we know. But Pinkie...”

“O-oh, oh dear,” Fluttershy said softly.

“That... don't sound good at all,” Applejack said slowly.

“What's the big problem? Pinkie seemed nice,” Sweetie asked.

“Oh, she is nice,” Rainbow said with a sigh. “Wonderful even. But she doesn't... well...”

“She marches tah the beat of her own drum,” Applejack mumbled.

“There's no telling what insanity Discord has spread through her mind,” Twilight said with a shake of her head. “This won't be easy. But once we rescue her, we'll only have Rarity left.” The others gave small nods before slowly getting to their hooves.

As the small herd walked out from the city, new thoughts sprang to their minds as they tried to imagine what madness the next leg of their journey would bring.

------

“Ah'll meet yah at the gate!” Flowerbloom yelled as she separated from the group.

“What?” Applejack asked, stopping in the road. “What in tarnation do yah think you're--”

“I just... I need to do something. It'll just be a few minutes, please,” the young mare said with a shake of her head. “I need to do it alone.”

Twilight glanced at the mare, before nodding. “Come on, Applejack. She'll be fine--”

“But she--”

“She's been helping me on this trip this entire time. She can take care of herself while in a city of allies. If she needs to do something... well, she has every right to.”

The elder earth pony sighed and glanced down at her little sister. “Well... fine. But yah'd best be safe! If anythin' happens tah yah, ah'd never forgive mahself!”

“Ah'll be safe, I promise,” Flowerbloom said before galloping off.

She dove and weaved between the streets, passing a muffin salesmare who was in tears as she apologized to one of her customers. She soon came to the center of the town, with a big smile on her face. It evaporated when she saw the big boulder, complete with little pebble on top of it. She slowly trotted towards it and lowered her gaze. “O-oh. I thought... well, I thought you'd be all better too,” she whispered softly as she gently poked the boulder. The pebble shook a little. “Don't worry, I'm a friend.” She sighed. “Don't worry, Rock Knight. The Avatar and the others are going to fix everything. Once they do, I'll make sure they come to fix you.” She then looked up at the pebble. “You take good care of her, Boulder.” She turned tail and ran off.

PreviousChapters Next