• Published 26th Feb 2015
  • 4,397 Views, 99 Comments

A New Stall in the Square - Night Music



A hot dog vendor from New York gets teleported to the market square of Ponyville. And the person behind it? Doesn't care at all.

  • ...
7
 99
 4,397

Luna

"When I get the coin, I'll make my way up to Neigh York and poke around about getting protection." Vinnie thought to himself as he made his way to his vendor. An awkward feeling entering his stomach, he clutched his gut, in hopes that the feeling would go away.

"I got a bad feeling about today..." Vinnie said to himself as he watched all of the other ponies go about their day. The feeling of excitement permeated the air. And this set Vinnie on edge. The hairs on his neck would stand on end and he would look behind him to make sure he wasn't being followed. This happened until he got to his vendor and took the sign from on top of it and stowed it away. Vinnie gave a sigh of relief before two heavily armored stallions walked up to him and one of them said.

"Excuse me, sir? Do you have a license to be selling whatever you are selling?" The stallion on the left asked.

"Yeah, I do. Why else would I be selling, what I'm selling, ya know?"

"Can we see it?" The guard on the right said.

"Give me a moment to get it." Vinnie said before he had thought. "Christ, I don't have a permit to sell these things, let's hope my old one works here." He pulled a card out of his wallet and showed it to the two guards.

"Hmmm... Everything seems to be in order. Sorry we bothered you, hey, you don't mind if we get one of these things right?"

"Huh?" Was all Vinnie said before he looked at his card and thought. "This isn't my card! What the hell? 'School for Gifted Unicorns'? When did I graduate from there? I ain't even a unicorn..." Vinnie looked up from his card and looked down at the two stallions.

"Huh, oh right, dogs, yeah, what would ya two want on it anyways?" Vinnie asked as he put on a mask of cheery goodness.

"What ever, just want to try one of these, friend of mine who came down here, said they were pretty good."

"Do you have any drinks?" The left guard asked, completely ignoring his friend.

"Sure, but nobody's asked for those yet, don't know why."

"Are you advertising them? Ponies will usually take a drink if they are offered one with the meal."

"Hmm. Never really occurred to me."

"Well here ya go. Two plain dogs and a water."

"Thanks, how much for all of this?"

"Four for the dogs and one for the drink."

The guard moved his head to his side and pulled a sack of bits from his side. He placed it out onto the stall counter and opened it up and pulled out five bits.

"Here you go. Have a nice day."

"You too."

"Goodbye Mr. Monkey!" The left guard shouted as he trotted away.

"Ignore him! He was dropped!" His friend shouted back.

"Hm... Odd."


"Almost closing time, should probably be able to close up early and relax at home." As Vinnie had been closing up his stall for the day. He got a chill up his spine. It was as if he was being watched. He stopped to look around at his surroundings. Nothing but the usual. He shrugged. He resumed closing his stall. Not a moment later, the same feeling enveloped him. He grabbed his bat from the stall and turned around.

"Whoever's out there, just come on out and we can talk this out! Doesn't have to get messy!" Vinnie yelled into the open square. He stood there, staring, waiting for whoever was watching to show themselves.

"I applaud you creature. It seems that you are one of the few who can see right through our illusions."

"Show yourself and we can talk."

"Okay. We shall talk."

At that moment. A pony stepped out of the shadows. It was a tall one. Taller than any other Vinnie had seen. Dark blue coat, with an ethereal mane that seemed to flow in the non-existent breeze.

"So, what do ya want?" Vinnie asked defensively.

"Nothing but a moment of your time."

"Well ya have it..." Vinnie said, gesturing for her to proceed.

"I— I would like to ascertain one of your meat sticks."

Vinnie said nothing after hearing that. His mind quitting on him.

"You mean a hotdog?"

"Yes, a hotdog, may I ask something?"

"You just did..."

"You know what we meant."

"Yeah, what do you wanna know?"

"Is it real meat? Or is it some kind of fa—"

Luna was interrupted as Vinnie put his hand up to shush the princess.

"Why do ya want to know this?" Vinnie asked with a raised eyebrow.

"My ponies of the night require something to eat as well as the ponies of the day."

"...That's gonna cut into my sleeping schedule and from what I can tell is that most ponies around here aren't out at night."

"Canterlot has a whole society of ponies that are out at night. I could even pay you, fifty bits a night."

Vinnie almost had a heart attack. "F—fifty?!"

"Is that not enough? I could raise it...?"

"No, no, fifty would be fine, I usually end up selling to around thirty to forty ponies in the same day. If what ya say is true, I could end up with..." Vinnie did the math in his head as he counted away his fingers. "... Little over a hundred bits a night!" Vinnie's eyes were darting in every direction, instincts kicked in and he began to search around for other ponies in the dark. The deal was just to good.

"So, will you agree to feed my ponies your hotdogs?"

Vinnie calmed down, wiping sweat from his forehead as his heart rate returned to normal.

"Yeah, sure. Hell, I could even start selling other things too."

Luna smiled. "This is wondrous news, I hope to see you in the near future."

"Yeah, same here, oh by the way, I didn't catch ya name...?"

"I am Princess Luna, but you may call me Luna. And yours?"

"With the bits I'll be makin' I could buy anything... A trip to Neigh York doesn't sound so bad this time of year. Go and see if I got family around here."

Vinnie smiled and walked towards the princess. He extended a hand and Luna offered her hoof. "Name's Vinnie." And the two sealed a deal as sweet as those nasty corndogs.

Author's Note:

This chapter idea was thanks to Lord_Kalbario, I hope you all like it.


I'm alive! Muahahaha! *cough* *hack* What was that? Anyways, like I said, I hope you liked this chapter of A New Stall in the Square. Took me long enough...