• Published 26th Feb 2015
  • 4,394 Views, 99 Comments

A New Stall in the Square - Night Music



A hot dog vendor from New York gets teleported to the market square of Ponyville. And the person behind it? Doesn't care at all.

  • ...
7
 99
 4,394

Applejack

It was the strangest day in Ponyville today. Not because Discord had done anything, no quite the contrary in fact, Discord literally did nothing today. But that's not why today was weird. It was weird because there was a newcomer to Ponyville market square. But he wasn't a pony, he was a giant hairless ape, and he stood maybe a head taller than the princesses. So, ponies had been wary of him. But he just stood there, behind his stand that had appeared with him. And from that stand of his came the most heavenly aroma, taunting everypony to come closer. And one brave soul had done so to find out what he was selling from his stand.

"Hello?" The earthpony known as Applejack had said with a little uncertainty in her voice.

"Hey, how ya doin'?" He replied picking up a pair of metal tongs.

Applejack had looked up at the ape with questioning eyes. And the ape looked back with an emotionless face.

"So, ya going to order or what?" The ape asked. Applejack had jumped a bit startled by the question. She had looked back at the crowd of ponies that had been hiding around the corner and watching with awe as the brave pony had approached the new vendor.

"Uhm, what are ya sellin'?"

The tall ape replied with pointing a finger to the small banner that had adorned his vendor.

"Hot... Dogs? What are hotdogs? You sell puppies or somethin'?" Applejack asked with concern, she had not heard any puppies in the time she was next to the vendor. He shook his head.

"Than, what are ya selling?"

"Would you like a sample?" He asked, holding the tongs above a opening in the vendor.

"..."

"...?"

"Sure..." Applejack finally said.

He then stuck his hand into the opening and pulled out a tube made of dark brown stuff, he then stuck it between two slices of connected bread. Looking down at Applejack he then asked.

"What do you want on your dog?"

A look of horror made its way onto Applejacks face as she stared at the thing in his hands.

"That's sick! Why in Equestria would you kill and cook dogs?!" Applejack yelled.

"They're not actually dogs, ya know? just the name, ya see?."

"Then what are they?" She asked as she continued to look at the thing in his hands.

"Look, at this rate, it's gonna get cold, and cold dogs are just gross, what do you want on it? We have ketchup, mustard, onions, beans, cheese, bacon, and for the weirdos, veggie bacon." He gagged at the last one.

"Ketchup, I guess..." Applejack said.

"A classic, not my favorite, but a classic none the less." He said as he whipped a red container and squirted a stream of ketchup onto the hot dog.

"So, what's ya name?" He asked before wrapping the dog up in a small napkin.

"Applejack." She replied as she took the food in her hoof. She stared at it, wondering if it would do anything now that she had it.

"So, what's this place called?" He said as he began to make another hotdog and spread beans and onions on it, along with pieces of bacon. He then began to eat it.

"Ponyville." Applejack said before she took a small bite out of the food in her hoof. She chewed for a good minute and swallowed. A small smile spread across her face as she devoured the rest. A hearty smile appeared on the vendor's face.

"Glad ya like them, now, how about we talk payment."

"How much for the one and maybe another for the road?"

All he had replied with was four fingers. Applejack took a saddle bag and tossed him four bits. He looked down at the gold coins, picked one up, and tested to see if what fake."This can't be real gold... Oh well, the coin is real."

"So, what do you want on this one?" He said as he put the bits away.

"Surprise me." Applejack smiled. The ape shrugged lifted another dog onto the piece of bread. spreading beans, onions, mustard, and finally, ketchup. Before wrapping it and handing it to her.

"Here ya go, the whole shebang."

"Thank ya kindly." Applejack said as she took the dog in her hoof and began to eat. "So, ya never told your name..." She said with a full mouth.

"Vinnie, Vinnie Abate." He said with a small smile.

"Where are ya from Vinnie?"

"The Bronx, New York, bad neighborhood, good people." He said, the smile on his face growing by a small amount. Remember his old job in New York.

"You mean Neigh York?"

"Yeah, whateva'." He said shaking his head. "I hate puns, and now, I have to live in one." He thought as he watched the small pony eat the tube of meat.

"What did ya do there? If I might ask."

"I worked for a group of people, nothing much else to say." Applejack shrugged and continued to eat.

"So, what is actually in these things? I think I want to try and make 'em."

"Eh~, You got your common dogs that are filled with various things." He said as he looked around at the crowd of ponies that have been inching closer and closer to them.

"Like what?"

"Ya got pigs, cows, and maybe a little bit of horse." Vinnie said nonchalantly.

And at that moment, the dog that had been in her hoof, hit the ground, and so did the one she had earlier.