• Published 26th Jan 2015
  • 2,298 Views, 57 Comments

Legends of Unova - Tricondon



A magic mishap sends Celestia off to the wonderful world of Unova.

  • ...
4
 57
 2,298

6

Chapter 6

N’s words had barely left his lips when the Snivy leapt in front of Celestia. His tail opened wide like a shield between her and N; his red eyes were locked onto the strange human, as if he was analyzing his opponent’s next move. Every so often his arms would twitch, tensing up for a moment in anticipation.

“He seems very eager for this,” N said, his gaze shifting from the green lizard to Celestia. “Are you?”

“You’ve got me all wrong,” Celestia sighed. “I am not a Pokémon trainer, nor do I want to be.”

The Snivy glanced back at her, dumbstruck that she’d decline a fight. N tilted his head to the side, curious at her response, before his face settled into a smile. “That’s good. Very good. We can have a much friendlier competition between two like-minded individuals.”

“The park is nearly empty,” Evan broke in, stepping forward, “so here’s as good a place as any. And I can help you out with a few basics, Celestia.”

Celestia sighed through her nose in resignation. “You aren’t going to let up, are you?”

“N looks to be as much a greenhorn to this as you are, so this is just going to be a friendly test of skill. Plus, you do need to practice ordering Snivy around if we end up travelling to any dangerous areas,” Evan explained. “And besides, this is your chance to see why Pokémon battles are important to us.”

“Very well. I suppose those are the terms I requested.” Celestia looked at the Snivy, then back at Evan. “So... how do you have a Pokémon battle?”

“You have to command your Pokémon in battle. We’ll keep it simple for now and just worry about instructing Snivy on which move to use. We can get into items and switching out later.” Evan crossed his arms, thinking for a few moments. “Professor Juniper trains them herself a little so they’re not completely helpless when given to new trainers, but your particular Snivy has been with her for longer than most. I’d say he knows Tackle, Leer, and Vine Whip.” At seeing Celestia’s bewildered expression, Evan explained a bit further, “Tackle and Vine Whip are both damaging moves, while Leer lowers the opponent’s defense.”

Celestia blew a few strands of her mane out of her face. “That sounds deceptively simple. I’m quite certain there’s more you aren’t telling me.”

“Of course there is, but that’s all above your skill level.” Evan smirked and waved her towards the rather-patient N. “Best learn to walk before you run, right?”

Celestia grimaced, but dutifully stepped towards the green-haired youth. The Snivy leapt in front of her not long after, overjoyed at finally being called to action.

N looked at Celestia. “Are we ready to begin?”

Celestia nodded. “Yes, I believe we are.”

The green-haired boy smiled and slipped a hand into his pocket. “Then let me introduce you to my friend.” He pulled out a Pokéball and tossed it into the air. From it emerged a small cat with an angular face and a small, scythe-tipped tail. Its purple fur was broken by blotches of tan on its face, arms, and legs, which made the cat appear to be dressed in some article of clothing.

The cat quickly took notice of Celestia and Snivy and locked onto them with its emerald eyes. With a lazy, yet mischievous grin, it stretched its front legs in the air and stood up on its hind legs.

I know this Pokémon, Celestia thought. She found herself remembering back to when she and Professor Juniper had discovered the mirror shard. The Snivy had been battling with a small feline that could also walk on its hind legs. Could this be the same individual?

“That’s a Purrloin,” Evan told Celestia. “It’s a very common Pokémon for beginning trainers.”

“Anything I should know about it?” Celestia asked. She kept her eyes on N, looking for any subtle similarities between him and the shadow human that had commanded the Purrloin before.

“It’s a Dark type and it’s fast, but that’s all you’re going to get from me in this battle. Good luck.” Evan smirked and walked between the two combatants, arms extended, and raised his voice enough that both Celestia and N could hear him. “Trainers, this will be a one-on-one Pokémon battle between Celestia’s Snivy and N’s Purrloin. It will last until one Pokémon is unable to battle, or a trainer forfeits. Now begin.”

N moved first, tossing his hand out as he declared his attack. “Purrloin, use Scratch.”

The bipedal cat grinned wickedly and leapt forward, catching the Snivy unprepared. Three long claws extended from its right paw, which raked across the Grass type’s back and darted away, returning to N’s feet before Celestia could scarcely comprehend what had happened. The Snivy, though clearly in pain, still glanced back at Celestia, obviously awaiting a command.

“What would be most effective?” Celestia muttered to herself, then said a bit louder, “Try Vine Whip.”

The Snivy nodded and locked eyes with the Purrloin. Two vines snaked their way from either side of his neck and whipped towards the cat. The Purrloin dodged one, but the second wrapped around his tail and twisted, tripping his knees out from under him and slamming his face into the dirt.

A look of concern flashed across N’s face, though it quickly faded as the Purrloin leapt back to his feet. N gave a smile of relief and bade his hand out once more, uttering, “Purrloin, Growl if you please.”

A low growl came from the Purrloin’s throat. It was soft, yet unsettling, like a manticore toying with its prey. The Snivy felt it as well. When Celestia told him to use his vines again, they were slower and shakened, so the Purrloin was able to jump over both and close the gap between the two Pokémon.

Celestia’s mind raced as she struggled to recall what those other attacks were called and managed to stammer out “T-Tackle it!” The Snivy darted forward, leaping at the Purrloin with the full weight of his body behind it.

The two creatures slid along the ground, kicking up dirt and grass in their wake. Celestia felt her breath catch in her throat, her pulse beginning to race — skies above, was she actually enjoying this? N’s face was calm, but his green eyes were ablaze as well, though she couldn’t tell what emotions she was seeing.

N’s Purrloin was the first to rise. His purple fur was matted with dust, but when N instructed him to Scratch, he moved just as quickly as when the battle began. His claws caught the Snivy on his right side, but the Grass type used his vines to help him rise quickly, which spared him from the full force of the attack.

The two Pokémon jumped away from the other, bruised and winded, but neither seemed willing to give up the fight. Celestia heard herself call out ‘Vine Whip’ at the same time N shouted for ‘Scratch’ and the two combatants ran towards one another once more. The Snivy’s vines spiraled out, trying to ensnare the Purrloin, but the bipedal cat was more agile, leaping over them with ease, and ran up to the Snivy, slashing it across the face. The force of the strike sent the Snivy tumbling backwards into the dirt.

“Growl!” N commanded as the Snivy was struggling to his feet. Again the Purrloin made that unsettling sound, and Celestia could see that the Snivy was taking it hard. His leg muscles were quivering, and he covered both sides of his head in a vain attempt to block the noise.

“That’s enough!” Celestia looked at Evan. “I think we can end this now.”

Evan nodded and raised his hand. “Celestia has forfeited the match. Purrloin is the winner and the victory goes to N.”

N grabbed his Pokéball and recalled his Purrloin. Celestia knelt down beside the Snivy to inspect the severity of his wounds. There were scratch marks along his back and face, and his proud green body was sprinkled with dirt.

“I’m sorry that it turned out this way,” Celestia said, using a wing to dust off some of the dirt. The Snivy kept his eyes on the ground and away from her. I must have hurt his pride.

“I never expected to hear Pokémon say such things,” N said. “Now you know how Pokémon battles work. What they do to the Pokémon involved.” He turned away from Celestia and looked down at the Pokéball containing his Purrloin. “As long as Pokémon are confined in Pokéballs, they will never become anything more.” He pocketed the Pokéball and began to walk away.

“Where are you going?” Celestia called.

“I have to change the world for Pokémon, because they’re my friends.” He turned his head to smile back at her. “I’m glad to have met you Celestia. And I’m glad to have met your Snivy. I hope we’ll see each other again soon.”

And with that the odd trainer rounded a corner and vanished from sight, leaving Celestia just as confused about him as she was when he arrived. After a few moments Evan came up and gently patted her shoulder. “We should be getting to the Poké Center. We need to get Snivy’s Pokéball and get him healed.”

The three of them set off down the road, though after a few steps it became apparent that the Snivy was in no condition to be keeping up with them. Celestia knelt down to let the tiny Pokémon onto her back, which he accepted after a few moments of uncertain hesitation.

“You did well, by the way,” Evan told her.

“This counts as doing well?” Celestia asked, gesturing to the injured Snivy.

“Sure it does. You knew when to back off before your Pokémon got too hurt. Knowing the limits of yourself and your Pokémon is one of the most important things when going into a battle.” Evan paused for a few moments as he got his bearings, only continuing once he was satisfied they were headed in the right direction. “That’s partly the reason we have trainer battles to begin with, to test and push our own limits.”

“If that is the case, then why are the Pokémon the ones who battle and not the trainers?”

He sighed. “You know, they enjoy fighting most of the time.”

Celestia decided to remain silent for the rest of the journey. On the one hoof, it was wrong of her to be criticizing this culture so much. She was a stranger here, and the Snivy did seem eager to fight against N’s Purrloin... but on the other hoof, the words of N and Ghetsis seemed to only reinforce how wrong the idea of Pokémon battles were. Do the Pokémon truly enjoy it, or is that just what humans made them believe?

The Poké Center wasn’t too far from the park. It was a round structure, at least two stories tall, coloured red with neon blue windows and doors. A Pokéball insignia was on the front doors and second-story windows. Once again, her centuries of hiding her thoughts while ruling helped her keep her marveling to respectable levels, though that all seemed to fade away once she stepped inside.

From the way Evan had explained it to her, Celestia had been expecting a veterinary clinic. Instead, she wasn’t quite sure what to make of this building. The curved doors slid open with an oddly calming metallic whir, while the reception area smelled faintly of flowers. Like the exterior, the primary colour scheme seemed to be blue and red, though the floor itself was a bright beige. At least a dozen humans were already inside, sitting in a small waiting area, browsing from a pharmacy close to the entrance, or ascending to the upper levels in pairs by means of two grey staircases that seemed to move on their own.

Directly ahead from the entrance sat a red counter, and behind it a red-haired woman waited patiently, her hands cupped in front of her while she simply gave a soft smile to anyone who looked her way; even Celestia felt oddly relaxed just from seeing her.

“Welcome to the Pokémon Center,” the woman addressed them with a smile, her voice as joyful and calming as her appearance. “How may I help you?”

“Nurse, could you please look after this Snivy for us?” Evan took the Snivy off of Celestia and handed him to the woman.

“Of course. Just relax in the waiting room and he’ll be right as rain in no time.” The nurse took the injured Pokémon from Evan with as much care as a doctor handling a newborn.

“Thank you.” Evan paused for a few moments before unclipping some Poké Balls from his belt and passed them to the nurse as well. “Ah, while we’re here, no harm in a check-up.”

The nurse accepted the Poké Balls as well, tucking them into her apron. “Of course. They’ll be better before you know it.” With a smile she turned around and carried the Snivy through a pair of doors on the far end of the building. He was oddly calm during the journey, no doubt still nursing his injured pride.

Celestia watched him go with a heartfelt look of concern, dimly aware of her own smarting pride from her recent loss.

Author's Note:

Written by Samaru163 and Tricondon.

Comments ( 12 )

6545693

Hopefully future chapters won't be so sporadic or far apart.

I am a filthy horrid liar.

-Tricondon

Oh, a new(ish) Tricondon fic? How have I not already read this?

6553820
...
-Looks at chapter 6-
-Looks at previous comment-
-Looks back at chapter-

hmm....have you read any of Saphroneth's fics? like Ashes of the Past?
if so, will the battling in this fic ever be similar?

7476595

Nope. Nope. And possibly, though it'd be purely coincidental.

-Tricondon

*Waits in anticipation for Keldeo to show up.

7476595 I'm curious. You think you could put up a link?

7547343

Ash teaches him how to manipulate Aura and invents Volt Crash, an Electric version of Hyper Beam. Then there's the part where he half-evolves, keeping the form of a Pikachu but gaining all of the power of a Raichu and then some.

i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/facebook/000/852/331/c86.jpg

-Tricondon

7548932
hang on, i just PM'd the author for a better way to describe it...

7548932 try the Funny page instead
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Funny/AshesOfThePast

Ash's egg hatches into a Mawile in the Dragon Holy Land. The Dragons know Ash's fame.
"Ash Ketchum has a Fairy-type. Ash Ketchum. Has. A Fairy-type."
"The guy whose Charizard knows Draco Meteor?"
"And it's even immune to Poison?"
"We're all doomed."

They try to calm down when they see the Mawile is nice... Then she shows she knows Ice Fang.

"It knows Ice Fang! Run!"

And Ash doesn't notice the panic until all the Dragon-types have fled for the hills.

7549725
Which chapter was that in Ashes of the Past?

Login or register to comment