• Published 18th Jan 2015
  • 551 Views, 16 Comments

The Secret Side Of Discord - Lemon Pegasus



Have we ever seen Discord as a father?

  • ...
6
 16
 551

To the Hollow Shades

Discord sat and waited outside his small cave, the charred wood inside leaking black smoke from the fire. Of course it took Starswirl more time than usual out here, how often are you forced to "do your business" out here in these conditions? Finally, Starswirl approached Discord after appearing from behind a tree, walking much more steadily now he wasn't on a full bladder.

The pathway along the mountainside now was going downwards, soon enough the two of them would be on the ground and out of this cold weather. Discord exhaled heavily as he got to his feet, he then proceeded to lift up Starswirl into his big arm and set off down the path, all the while that same falcon watched them from some kind of nearby perch. What was the deal with that bird? Well hey, free food, don't argue with it!

Honestly, this path must surely be going against some kind of "Equestrian Rule for Path Safety" law, or something! Multiple times, Discord almost slipped off due to the thin paths and lack of safety fences. Still, it's not like taking the risk of flying down was much of an alternative... or was it? Discord peeked over the edge, took one look at the colossal drop, and immediately had the traditional Big Macintosh "Nope" reaction.

Well, that was that, the path would have to do. It hugged close to the mountain, Discord occasionally having to lean on the cliff face to make the corners. The route of the path was simple and complex at the same time, in a way. It never detached from the rock-face, which made it fairly simple, but since said rock-face took on such a crazy, winding route, multiple times the path would curve around only to appear facing back in the same direction.

The cold weather was improving the further down Discord and Starswirl traveled, and it wasn't very tiring since it was a downhill journey. The time didn't exactly pass quickly, just walking with a repetitive pattern -step, step, step, step- with such similar surroundings all the time -rocks, sky, falcon, rocks- was not what one would call "a good time." This effect was reflected upon Starswirl, he looked pretty darn bored in Discord's arm, occasionally sighing or playing with his mane.

So, yeah. Step, step, step, step... it felt like an infinite cycle, and all because one random business pony saw Discord with Starswirl. Though Discord didn't know what was going on there, he was certain that -oh Celestia! Discord was in deep thought, and had lost concentration! He was now in mid fall, after walking straight over the edge! Discord faced directly upwards, watching the path slip away from him, Starswirl clutching his torso, terrified! It all happened so quickly, Discord did not have time to take flight before his back suffered a great CRUNCH and he rolled clumsily down a steep cliff face. He finally stopped falling.

He just lay there for some time, before he was hit by an enormous jolt of pain in his back. He groaned in agony, as he attempted to get up. He looked in his arm, Starswirl was not there! He continued moaning, it was like somepony was crushing his back with the force of a Woolly Mammoth, but Discord tried his best to shut it out as he looked around for Starswirl. He had landed on a ledge about 20 foot below the path. The ledge looked stable, and was large enough for a pony to build on! Soon enough, the sight of the small, blue pony came into Discord's spinning, blurred vision.

Starswirl laid there, facing the opposite way, inches from the edge. His mane was messed up and filthy, scratches littering his back. Discord slowly and desperately crawled towards him, pain jolting through his body with each step, yet it could not be any worse than the pain he would feel if he abandoned Starswirl; the tiny, innocent foal wouldn't last a day on his own!

After slowly trudging through burning pain and dirt, he finally reached young Starswirl. Now he was closer, he could see that he was shaking, as if traumatized beyond belief.
"S-Starswirl..." Discord desperately tried to get a reaction from the foal. He only lowered his head into his chest and started shaking more, his breathing sounding out of control.

Discord groaned even more as he tried to get up so he could get a good look at Starswirl. He placed his weight on his strong, bear like arm. He then slowly slotted his bird-like claw under the small body of Starswirl, and lifted him up. Kneeling back, more pain shooting through him, he now had Starswirl in his arms again. Turning him over, Discord noticed that Starswirl was hiding his tiny head under his hooves, and... he appeared to be silently crying. There were bruises all over his body, a large one by his eye. A cut ran across his shoulder and torso. In all of Discord's life, he was not ready for such a moment of heart break. He felt responsible. This didn't have to happen, none of this had to happen, this child could be enjoying himself in his REAL home with his REAL mother right now, but instead, he was suffering.

Discord looked up, he couldn't stand to look at this painful sight for longer than he had to. The forest was now in sight, an army of ever-green trees in the distance, representing hope and shelter. Yet, here stood Discord and his injured child. He had to get up, he had to. With a mighty heave, and a great moan, he got got back to his feet. He breathed heavily as the pain died away, Starswirl still lying in his arms, distressed.

He took one step forward, then another, then another, as he slowly approached the cliff-face. He fell from a path 20 foot above him, but there was part of the path closer towards him, just an arm's reach up. He stretched his arms up and safely placed Starswirl on top. He then grabbed onto the ledge, and flew himself up. He landed beside Starswirl, he continued shaking. Discord couldn't allow him to just sob. He picked him up, and... tried.

He placed his hand on Starswirl's head and held him close to his chest. He then repeated the words "it's all okay, it's all okay..." Starswirl continued crying. "We're going to get out of here, we're going to find a house, and we're going to be safe... together." As much as Discord hated saying stuff like this, he felt as if it was his duty to try and calm Starswirl at this moment. It very much warmed Discord's heart to hear him finally stop crying, to feel him stop shaking, and to see him embrace his chest.

Holding Starswirl close to his body as he could, Discord continued the journey. It was much slower now they were covered in bruises and hurting, but it certainly did not stop them. It didn't stop the falcon either, who continued watching them as they traveled. It was still the most repetitive thing imaginable, having to walk for ages and ages downhill. At least they had a target now the trees were in sight. It was getting dark, the sun still high in the sky, but late, nonetheless.

The path was flattening out now, the flat ground becoming ever closer, but... it was getting to Discord. Walking for so long, getting injured, having to skin a dead rabbit... it was making him... dizzy. No! The trees were in sight! As were the lights of the town inside the forest! Suddenly, he was falling again.

Author's Note: