• Published 18th Jan 2015
  • 552 Views, 16 Comments

The Secret Side Of Discord - Lemon Pegasus



Have we ever seen Discord as a father?

  • ...
6
 16
 552

Breaking news!

Author's Note:

I'm no biologist, but remember: these are equestrians, their anatomy may be very different to pony anatomy on Earth!

Waking up by now in a different environment was expected, no longer was it a surprise to wake up, look around and see nor a bed nor window. Ever since the attack on Hollow shades a few days ago, Discord would wake up with Starswirl close by, the group would work together to cook up some food (though that was mostly Laba's job) and they would set off on a journey. It just so happened that last night's journey was through pretty rough environments, good thing they had Sam Blue's story to take their minds off the dust and open heat. Today would hopefully go in a similar direction. Spiral Dust's time to shine, he would talk while the group walked through the Everfree Forest. There were rumors that it was a dangerous place, but just that, rumors.

By now I could probably copy and paste the scenes in the outposts and get away with it, but I won't! The morale in the group was very high as they sat in the cave, exchanging witty comebacks they came up with from past experiences!
"Okay, so this mare is all bitchy and stuck up," Discord recalled hearing Chrysalis exchanging banter with Laba and Sam.
"Okay..." Laba replied....
"And she says to me: 'you're so weird, why don't you get work in beauty and earn lots of money like I did' you know, trying to show off..." It was great seeing Chrysalis in such a great mood, she seemed like such a serious pony, but they're all sassy lassies at heart!

"And I respond to her: 'yeah, and look how you turned out!" Chrysalis, as well as Laba and Sam started laughing, "and she just walked away!" Well, that must have been a funny moment. All the while, Starswirl seemed to take an interest in Spiral Dust's ability to shape shift into a pixel-like dust cloud, completely immersed as Spiral Dust entertained him with his unique talent.

"Mr cloud, I believe you have a story to tell all of us?" Discord sarcastically said to Spiral Dust. The cloud of dust spiraled into the ground and reformed into the shape of the yellow furred, black maned pegasus that was his sweet-voiced friend.

"How about we talk while we walk?" Spiral Dust suggested. Come to think of it, probably best.
"Breaky is ready anyway." Laba announced. Hey, every time I say that Laba announced something, take a shot!
"Did you just use slang," asked Discord, "breaky?" Laba seemed like quite a mature pony and he just used slang!
"Ay boy, kiddo, yippidy doo, yolo, we all need to let lose now and then." Laba replied. Oh no, was he gonna start singing wearing lip stick while sharing a drink with Friar or something? Hopefully, "letting loose" would only go as for as it just did.

So, "breaky" was served on paper plates from the rations box- cough cough, I mean: THE BOX OF MYSTERIES! It was good to be able to eat some genuinely tasty food, what with the candy bar last night and now canned ravioli! Starswirl seemed to enjoy it, he ate hungrily, occasionally dropping a piece of pasta on accident despite the fact the spoon was being controlled by magic (you know something's up when you still spill your food when you're using magic to hold the spoon).

Laba suddenly noticed something... what it was exactly wasn't known. He appeared to be looking at Starswirl, who was simply eating his breakfast, what was abnormal about that? Laba's horn glowed slightly, before Laba spoke to Starswirl.
"Hey, Starswirl, watch this:" Starswirl took interest, the curious foal he was. A small white orb arose from Laba's horn, which glowed and slowly rose to the roof of the cave, Starswirl observing it with amazement the whole time. The orb expanded in an almost silent poof, painting a beautiful picture of the night sky onto the roof. Laba seemed focused on Starswirl though...

"Those are all the stars visible from Canterlot observatory," Starswirl was in awe, Laba was staring... at his neck? "Starswirl... can you speak for me?" Starswirl did not speak, he just looked at Laba, probably wishing he could talk. Discord spoke up.
"He's very young, he can't speak yet." Laba signaled for Discord to walk over to him. Starswirl noticed Discord walk away, but he didn't seem to care that much, he was smart enough to know that Discord was going no where walking in Laba's direction, seeing as he sat in front of a wall.

Discord joined Laba's side, Laba whispered to him.
"Starswirl, as he ever spoken to you? A laugh or a scream, something?" he asked Discord, who shook his head. Laba looked concerned.
"Look at his neck," Laba requested. Starswirl was looking directly at the roof, his light blue neck exposed. It was very smooth and it... went in a bit? Half way down, there was a small area where his neck caved in slightly. Discord hadn't noticed before now, he didn't see much of that area and it was only slightly visible.

"Uhm... is it about that part where his neck goes in slightly?" Discord asked, Starswirl not really caring since he was transfixed on a quadrant of stars. Other ponies in the room enjoyed their meals.
"Yes, it is," great, just great, "that's where the voice box should be. It's not uncommon to have foals from unhealthy parents be born with undeveloped organs and it's not the first time I've seen a foal with undeveloped vocal chords... uhm..." He was holding back.
"Speak up, Laba. Spit it out." Discord wasn't going to let this slip, something was wrong with HIS foal!
"...He may never talk."

"And... is that, certain?" Discord wanted the best for Starswirl, if he couldn't talk... that would set him back a while with his English skills.
"How old is he?" Laba asked. Discord quickly replied,
"Three." Laba shook his head.
"No signs of speech by this age, dent where his vocal organs should be... your odds are slim, to say the least." This was a tough thing for Laba to say and a dreadful thing for Discord to hear.

"...How do I tell him?" Discord was concerned as to how he should break the news to Starswirl.
"I'll help you if you need it." Laba's offer was kind, though it was one Discord denied.
"Thank you, but... I think this should be a father-son thing." Discord wasn't going to tell Starswirl yet, maybe when he was older. He would find out sooner or later, but for now... there was too much going on already.

"We'll be setting off now." Laba announced (take another shot) "and we'll be heading through the Everfree Forest so keep your eyes peeled." The group got up. Friar putting on his saddlebags followed by him helping up Sam and Chrysalis getting up rather quickly thanks to the energy she gained from that funny little moment she was saying earlier. Spiral Dust got up last, stretching his legs and wings.

Discord joined Starswirl's side again, avoiding showing any change in emotion. He put each of his arms through the belts on the rucksack, lifted Starswirl into said arms and headed outside the cave. The cave faced in the direction the group came from: towards a mass of sand and rocks. In the other direction: a lush collection of trees! Quite the change of scenery.

"Now would be a good time to start your story, Spiral Dust." Discord was hoping that it would last the whole journey. If they were entering the Everfree Forest, Ponyville should follow! Spiral Dust replied:

"Ladies and gentlemen, fasten your seat belts. Spiral Dust's story shall now begin"