• Published 14th Jan 2015
  • 20,180 Views, 2,190 Comments

Friendship is Grievous - Snake Staff



All welcome the latest visitor to Equestria... General Grievous?

  • ...
91
 2,190
 20,180

A Grievous Conspiracy

As the smug alicorn princess and the cyborg general reentered the crystal, Grievous’ mind was in overdrive, trying to figure out some way what he had just seen could be possible. And if the other one could truly move the sun – a fusion-power ball of gas millions of times larger than any planet – that was even more impressive. Though he had to consider the possibility that she merely made the planet rotate. Either way, Grievous could think of a dozen ways to weaponize either talent in a heartbeat, and he was sure Lord Sidious would have even more uses for them.

So engrossed was Grievous in his thoughts on how to exploit these two creatures to kill Jedi that he missed hearing what the white one said next.

“Excuse me?” he said, blinking. “I didn’t quite catch that.”

“I said,” Celestia replied. “You mentioned earlier that your only wish was to leave our planet and return to the “Clone Wars”. Had you any plans on how to do it?”

Grievous considered lying about his plan, but then thought better of it. “I need to get to the debris on your planet’s moon. My ship crashed there after experiencing an enemy boarding action,” He decided it would be better not to reveal that he had boarded the Republic ship with the express intent of slaughtering every living thing on board.

It sounded off-putting.

“I was forced to eject,” he continued. “My escape pod made it to this planet, but the ship itself crashed onto the moon. If I can get there, I believe I can make use of whatever equipment survived the crash to create a long-distance communications array. With that, I will be able to call for Separatist ships to retrieve me, and I will be gone from your planet. The question is, of course, how to get there.” Grievous looked pointedly at Luna.

Not seeming to notice the look the cyborg had given her sister, Celestia asked another question. “Have you means to get there? The same way you came down, perhaps?”

Grievous shook his head. “No. The escape pods are designed to be picked up in space or survive a descent into an atmosphere. They lack sufficient thrust to exit one.”

“Unless they could be modified somehow…” he thought to himself. But that was a backup plan at best. The primary idea he’d had so far was standing right in front of him.

“Princess Luna,” he said, looking at her again. “You can apparently cause your moon to move in the sky. Do you have a way to get up there, or no?

“I…” Luna hesitated, taking a quick sidelong glance into her sister’s eyes before looking back at Grievous. “No, I do not. I am sorry.”

“But,” Celestia intercut. “We might be able to research something for you. But perhaps you could excuse us to take a look into that possibility for a moment, General Grievous?”

Grievous eyes’ narrowed. This was very suspicious. But he had little choice but to play along for the moment.

“Go right ahead,” he said.

“Thank you.”


The three alicorns chose to meet together in the library room of Twilight’s castle, which was naturally the largest room in any case. After casting a quick spell of silence to ensure nopony could eavesdrop on their conversation, they began their meeting in earnest.

“Princess Luna,” Twilight was the first to speak out. “Why did you lie to him? You can move ponies to and from the moon – I’m sure you could do the same for him.”

The dark alicorn sighed. “Because… oh forgive us for being so bad at it… we are still not quite back in the habit of modern diplomatic talking…”

“I can explain,” Celestia intervened.

Twilight looked up at her earnestly.

“The simple answer is because we do not trust him.”

“Why not? He’s not from our culture, we can’t just declare him bad because he looks scary.”

“According to what you wrote to us, the first thing you saw him do was kill another living creature,” Luna pointed out.

“In self-defense!” Twilight objected.

“Might he have done otherwise, had he not wished to take its life? Could he have defeated it non-lethally without endangering himself?” Celestia.

“Well…” Twilight hesitated. “Yes, he could have.”

Celestia placed a comforting hoof on Twilight’s shoulder. “Do not let your eagerness to discover something new blind you to what is in front of your eyes, my old student. Think. He could have spared a life, but did not. What does that tell you about his character?”

“He doesn’t take well to being attacked?”

“And what else?”

“He doesn’t have much mercy for his enemies?” Twilight guessed.

Luna nodded. “Exactly. Even Lord Tirek did not kill his enemies once they were defeated, not even ourselves. Yet this General Grievous did so within the first few minutes of his arrival on this world. That alone tells us we must be wary of him.”

Celestia nodded in confirmation. “But there is more to it. This Grievous is a general in an army, an army with access to more than one space-going craft of considerable size. If he is to be believed, he is not only the head of this army, but it is fighting a war on a scale so broad that it can be called galactic. Can you picture what that means, Twilight? Thousands of planets, tens of thousands, maybe even millions, all engulfed by a vast conflict between soldiers like Grievous has out there and these clone armies of the Galactic Republic?

Twilight tried to picture such a war in her head, and found the image utterly appalling. So many dead, and how many worlds snuffed out forever?

“And,” Celestia continued. “Can you imagine what would happen if such a conflict were to be brought here?”

Twilight shuddered. The entire nation of Equestria – no, the entire world – could be drowned in blood and crushed between two vast alien superpowers they knew nothing about.

“We have no knowledge of the character of this Confederacy of Independent Systems, save that they choose to employ a warrior like General Grievous to fight for them. And that does not speak well for their benevolence,” Celestia shook her head. “And as to this Galactic Republic, we have even less knowledge, save what their chief enemy has to say about them. We cannot predict how they might react to us.”

“I shall find and explore this ship of his,” Luna added. “But I do not know how much that will be able to tell us.”

“That is why,” Celestia took over for her sister. “We cannot yet risk allowing General Grievous to contact these powers. Until we can get an idea of what they will do – of what he will do – to Equestria if has a fleet and army at his back, we cannot risk the safety of our kingdom.”

“But what if he finds out?!” protested Twilight. “Wouldn’t that make it even worse for us if they do come?”

“That is why he must not find out, Twilight Sparkle,” Celestia said. “What is said here must never leave our number. Not even your friends must know.”

“Not even Spike?” Twilight asked.

Celestia shook her head. “Not even Spike. Nopony must know.”

“… Alright,” Twilight said. “What’s the plan?”

“As General Grievous does not seem immediately violent, I am prepared to leave him here, under the care of yourself and your friends. After Fluttershy’s success with Discord, it may be that time with you will change him, or at least ensure he bears us no ill-will. However,” Celestia’s face went hard. “He could be quite dangerous. We know little of his capabilities. If he should become violent, do you feel you would be able to contain him, Twilight Sparkle?”

Twilight thought back to the many foes she’d battled. Eventually, she nodded her head.

“Then we are prepared to trust you with his safekeeping,” Luna smiled slightly. “We know you can do it.”

“So, you want me to keep him here… how long?”

“We simply don’t know,” Celestia answered. “Until we have reasonable assurance that he will not order his armies to invade Equestria the moment he is able to do so. You must study his character, and if you can, do your best to show him the magic of friendship. When you feel he is ready, or if he should prove uncontrollable, contact us again.”

“Princesses,” Twilight asked. “One more thing: what happens if somepony shows up looking for him before we have our assurance?”

“Then we welcomed him into our midst and provided all available hospitality and aid,” Celestia replied. “And we shall have to pray that that is enough.”


"General Grievous?"

The cyborg looked up from where he paced to see all three princesses emerging from wherever they had been, Celestia once again taking the lead.

"Yes?"

"We are afraid that there is good news, and there is bad news," Luna said. "The good news is that we may be able to use magic to send you to the moon after all. The bad news is that creating this spell may take some time.

Grievous' eyes narrowed. "How long?"

Luna looked embarrassed. "Several weeks? Perhaps longer."

The cyborg's fists clenched.

"But," said Celestia, injecting herself once more. "In the meantime, we would like offer you Equestria's hospitality. In fact, we have a place where you and yours might stay..."