• Published 14th Jan 2015
  • 20,183 Views, 2,190 Comments

Friendship is Grievous - Snake Staff



All welcome the latest visitor to Equestria... General Grievous?

  • ...
91
 2,190
 20,183

A Grievous Betrayal

On the Invisible Hand’s command bridge, Count Dooku was on one knee before the hologram of Darth Sidious.

“I understand what must be done, my lord.”

“Very good, Lord Tyranus,” Sidious said. “Thus far you have done well, my apprentice. Do not disappoint me at this crucial juncture.”

“Of course not, Lord Sidious.”

Without a further word, the image of the cloaked human disappeared from its place atop the projector.

Count Dooku rose back to feet in one swift move, ignoring the slight protests of his aging body. With one hand he brushed some imagined dirt from the shoulder of his armorweave cape, and then he took several swift strides across the bridge to settle in to the command throne in its center. It was uncomfortable and somewhat too large for him, being designed to accommodate General Grievous’ cyborg frame, but such issues were mere trifles to the former Jedi. Beside the chair lurked General Kalani, his super tactical droid and second-in-command.

“Report,” said Dooku brusquely.

“My lord, we have entered the system. Our scanners have detected a habitable planet with a number of orbiting Republic ships matching the data sent back by our probe droid.”

“Are we still receiving communications from the probe?”

“No sir, all transmitions have ceased and its homing beacon has gone dark. I calculate a 97.83% chance that it was destroyed by the Republic ships.”

“I see,” Dooku considered. “How many enemy ships are there?”

“Five cruiser class, nine escort class,” Kalani answered. “Fighter contingent is unknown, but has a high probability of being substantial.”

Count Dooku smiled. Those numbers were more than manageable. “Initiate approach vectors,” he ordered, pointing his finger in the direction of the blue-green orb in the distance. “And commence attack.”


General Grievous sat sullenly on a chair that was too small and designed for a being with four legs, his faithful MagnaGuard standing protectively over his shoulder. Commando droids covered the room’s exits. He sat in full view of the nearby open window, knowing full well that ponies outside were snapping his picture but pointedly ignoring them. It was an irritating but necessary public appearance to keep the mob from wandering off into the forest. At least in today’s stormy weather the crowd was smaller than usual.

It was the general’s relief when he caught a glimpse of a moving shadow. That was always the way the pony that he probably hated least announced her impeding arrival. Grievous stood up, strode over to the window, and closed it with a firm hand. He then pulled what curtains there were down to ensure their privacy.

Sure enough, the princess of the night soon manifested before the cyborg general in a whirling black mass of magic. As always, she was dressed in her requisite black regalia. Her face bore no expression, but Grievous observed that her ears were occasionally twitching slightly. That meant, if he recalled his lessons on pony body language correctly, that she was on edge about something.

“Welcome, princess,” said Grievous.

“General Grievous. ‘Tis good to see you again,” she replied, offering a grin.

“Let us dispense with the pleasantries,” he said, waving an arm as if to brush away a cobweb. “To the Everfree! I will be finished soon, I know it!” Grievous clenched his fist.

“Actually, we have some good news for thee on that front.”

“You do?” Grievous’ eyes focused in on the alicorn, and he couldn’t keep a certain excitement from his tone. “What is it?”

Luna nodded. “We believe… we believe we have discovered a ritual that will accomplish thy goal for thee.”

“You mean…” to his disbelief, Grievous couldn’t even bring himself to say it, for fear of the sudden hope rising in his chest being dashed.

“We mean we think we have a ritual that can send thee to our moon and back.”

Grievous paused as his rational mind struggled to catch up with his emotions. “You think?” he asked after a moment. “Or you know? I don’t want to end up floating around in the void or burning up in the atmosphere.”

Luna shrugged. “We know it worked for us.”

“That’s about as good as it’s going to get here,” Grievous thought. “But no sense taking too many risks.”

“Then I wish to test this ritual myself before I use it,” he said aloud, pointing to one of his commando droids. “Use it on that droid. I want to be certain it survives the trip there and back.”

“We… we cannot,” Luna replied.

Grievous narrowed his eyes and took step forward, looming over the alicorn princess. “What do you mean you can’t? What’s the good news if you can’t do what I need done?”

“We mean we cannot cast it here,” Luna added hastily. “The ritual doth require specialized components and a prepared summoning circle.”

“Where can you cast this spell of yours, then?”

“We can do it from our chambers in the palace in Canterlot,” Luna answered.

“I assume you can take us there from here?” Grievous asked. He had never cared enough to pay a visit.

Luna nodded. “Aye, we can do that, if thou wishest.”

“I do.”

“So be it, General Grievous.”

The alicorn princess lit up her horn once again, and familiar tendrils of darkness reached up to envelope the cyborg.

General Grievous and Princess Luna, along with the MagnaGuard and a pair of B-X Commando Droids, walked through the halls of the royal palace in Canterlot. The sounds of hooves and heavy metal feet impacting on age-old tiles echoed and resounded throughout the palace walls. The group passed numerous doors, ornate paintings, exquisite statuary, and extremely detailed portraits of famed members of Equestria’s government throughout the ages. But there was one thing that they did not pass.

Other people.

Grievous, while excited by the prospects of finally getting to the moon and making a beacon from the ruined Republic warship, did not allow such feelings to make him careless. He was a veteran of many battles, living on where others had perished, and a large part of his secret was the maintenance of environmental awareness. Knowledge of what was going on around oneself was key to surviving the galaxy’s multitude of warzones.

The cyborg’s yellow eyes swept the palace as the two marched onwards. It was large, well-furnished, and undoubtedly inhabited. But for all that he saw not one servant, guard, or petitioner anywhere around himself. The only sounds he heard were those of their footsteps and the stormy winds wailing outside. Grievous’ eyes locked onto the back of Luna’s head.

“What is she playing at?” he wondered. This smelled of a trap to his military instincts, but for what reason? He couldn’t go anywhere regardless, being effectively confined to a tiny village already. He had not killed or even seriously injured someone. There didn’t seem a reason for turning on him, so he dismissed the misgivings.


Eventually, Princes Luna reached an ornate wooden double doorway painted in black and embellished with artistic silver engravings, whereupon she halted.

“Our chambers,” she explained, putting a hoof on one of them. She looked strangely melancholy for a moment. Then the expression was gone, as if it were never there.

“Please, come in,” Luna continued, pressing one of the doors open with her front hoof. “Make thyself at home, general.”

Taking a step inside, one thing was immediately obvious: Luna’s chambers were dark. Not even the kind of dark one would expect to see in a forest at night. Not even pitch black. Rather, they seemed to be, impossibly, sucking in the light around themselves, rendering it into nothingness. Though all his mental alarm bells were going off, Grievous continued forward. A few more paces inside, even Grievous’ enhanced vision could see absolutely nothing before him, and the open door a short distance behind was barely visible through the gloom.

General Grievous’ hearing alerted him to the fact that his droids were following him inside. Even the glow of their artificial eyes failed to shed any real light into the area, appearing instead to be red and white orbs floating eerily in the shadows. Finally, Grievous heard the sound of the princess’ hooves stepping inside, and the door closing behind her. All was plunged into utter blackness, where not even the droids’ photoreceptors could be seen.

From seemingly right beside him, Grievous heard the sound of Luna sighing deeply. She sounded weary – wearier than he had ever heard her, even after their first sparring match.

“We are sorry, Grievous,” came the mournful sound of the alicorn’s voice. “We had no choice.”

Grievous blinked. “Huh?”

Without warning, the blackness around him vanished. It did not fade away, as one expects a shadow might. Rather, it suddenly and entirely disappeared into nothing, leaving Luna’s chambers as well-lit as if they had never been consumed by darkness. In the sudden light, Grievous could make out a number of shapes he had become intimately acquainted with.

Clone troopers.

The cyborg general acted entirely on instinct, his long years of battle experience propelling his hand towards the lightsabers on his waist. Seizing one entirely at random, he thumbed the activator even as he swung for where he estimated Princess Luna to be. A bronze blade emerged from the hilt and cleaved through the air towards the alicorn.

But Luna’s body had dissolved into a thick black mist. Grievous’ blade passed harmlessly through the inky black cloud, which dissolved into nothingness before his eyes.

General Grievous heard the sound of another lightsaber activating with the characteristic *snap-hiss*, followed by the sound of a very familiar voice.

“Surrender, general!”

Grievous’ head whipped around even as his arms went back towards his waist. His eyes became little more than slits as he took in the image before him.

Kenobi!"