• Published 14th Jan 2015
  • 20,183 Views, 2,190 Comments

Friendship is Grievous - Snake Staff



All welcome the latest visitor to Equestria... General Grievous?

  • ...
91
 2,190
 20,183

Friends?

After their short physical bout, Princess Luna summoned her magic to heal her body’s injuries. Wounds flowed shut, bruises vanished, bones knit, and blood vanished into thin air. By the time she was done regenerating, General Grievous had reclaimed his cape and his lightsabers, and returned to work on the escape pod.

The princess sat down on the grass to rest after her wearying exertions, feeling triumphant despite all the pain she had endured. She felt that she had finally gotten a spark of genuine emotion out of the general that wasn’t in a dream. Luna had observed his past and… she oddly, in spite of what she’d seen aboard the Fateful, found herself somewhat sympathizing with him. More importantly, perhaps, was the idea she had had to ensure Equestria’s safety. If she could convince Grievous to, if not bond with her, at least respect her on some level, Luna felt certain that he could be made to leave the planet be if and when his friends arrived.

He truly did not want to be here, she had understood that much. He hated, to the very depths of his dark soul, these sword-wielding figures she had seen in his dreams. These Jedi. He wanted nothing more than to be back in combat with them, and from what she had seen Luna found she could understand. He had been through quite a lot. She had hoped he might sympathize with her own tale, but a bout of fighting would serve just as well if the same ends were met.

“So,” Grievous’ voice cut into Luna’s thoughts. “Why did you really come to me?”

She looked up from her reverie, startled. Grievous was still where he had been, underneath the escape pod and working to modify it.

“Pardon?” she said, more to play for time than anything else.

“You heard me, Princess Luna. For what reason did you truly come before me today?”

“We already told thee, general. We felt guilty at our lack of progress and wished to lend our aid.”

Grievous made a noise that sounded like something halfway between a cough and a chuckle. “And here I thought we had made progress.”

“What?”

“People interested only in helping typically do not blurt out deeply personal life stories on a whim, princess,” he paused, though his hands continued to work. “You came here to learn my life story, didn’t you?”

Not exactly, but getting him to tell it firsthand would be a step in the right direction.

“Alright, we confess,” Luna said. “We did indeed come to you in hopes of learning more about thee. Thou hast been most frustratingly recalcitrant on the details of thine past, and we wished to know more.”

“So does the little purple princess,” Grievous grunted. “She won’t shut up about it, to tell you the truth. I had to lend her one of my B-1s for study to distract her.”

“B-1s?”

“Baktoid Combat Automata B-1 series battle droid,” Grievous commented. “The thin white ones,” he added after a moment. “Useless things, and annoying too.”

“Mmm…” Luna refrained from observing that she had seen many clone troopers dead at the hands of these “useless” machines.

Grievous seemed to be deep in thought for some time before speaking up once again. “I think perhaps you’ve earned the right to hear at least part of my tale.”

Luna nodded eagerly, wondering inside what he was going to say.

“I was not always the mechanical freak you see before you,” Grievous said, sounding almost… wistful? “I used to be a warrior of flesh and blood, not bolts and circuits. I come from a planet called Kalee. My people are the Kaleesh. Many years ago, we were invaded by a fearsome and greedy foe. Thousands died. But we did not give in. We fought, and through our warrior spirits pushed our enemies back. I lead the counterattack, and pushed them to the brink of destruction. But then…”

Luna noticed that Grievous had stopped all work and clenched his hands into fists, which were shaking. He hadn’t seemed to notice.

“The Jedi came. They called us the aggressors! Us! We who were invaded without cause or mercy! We could not stand before them, and we were driven back to Kalee. Our planet was left in ruins, our people in poverty and starvation! And that was not even the end of their perfidy,” Grievous snarled. “Many years later, when I traveled upon a shuttle, the Jedi bombed it in a cowardly effort to kill me! They knew that if I lived I would one day avenge my people against them! And they would have succeeded, too, had it not been for Count Dooku. He saved my life that day, and it was thanks to him that I was rebuilt. Since then I have lived only to take revenge on those who wronged me: the Jedi and their hateful Republic. That is why I fight! The politics of the Confederacy mean nothing to me, only that the Jedi are cast down and killed to the last, that they might know what my people suffered!”

Luna waited carefully for the general’s most immediate rage to cool before replying. “We see,” she said, simply.

Grievous turned his head to look at her. “Do you now? I doubt it.”

“More than thou knowest,” thought Luna.

“We think so,” she said aloud.

“Hmph,” Grievous went back to work on the pod. “Do you know where I got lightsabers from?”

“Yes.”

“No,” she said.

“Each one of them I took from a Jedi I killed with my own hand. A symbol of victory, and promise to others of what fate awaits them.”

Luna felt revulsion curdling within her, but suppressed it. Her sympathies for him were already limited, and she didn’t particularly like being reminded of his gruesome habits.

“Thank thee, general,” Luna bowed her head when it became apparent that he wasn’t going to say anything more.

She had gotten somewhere on this; he had trusted her with an honest (if partial) story of his life. Now she just needed to cement the deal. If the general thought of her as at least someone he could respect, and to some extent trust, Equestria would be safe from him. Luna was confident in that.

She would help him a few more times, perhaps spar some more, and observe his reaction. If he seemed somewhat amendable to her, she might “discover” the spell he wanted. After due consultation with her fellows, of course.

Yes, Luna reflected, that seemed a good plan.


Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi nodded his head respectfully in greeting to the holographic figure taking shape in front of him.

“Master Yoda,” he said politely.

“Master Kenobi,” answered the little green creature with a smile some might describe as grandfatherly. “This pleasure, to what do I owe?”

“I am calling in to the Temple to report on my progress in tracking down General Grievous. You’ll recall I hypothesized that he was aboard Master Ceidia’s ship when it made an uncontrolled hyperspace jump.”

“Remember this I do,” Yoda replied. “Think you that sleep through your transmitions, I do?” he said with the slight hint of a mischievous grin on his face.

Obi Wan chuckled lightly and shook his head. “No Master. I wished to report an update to the hunt. While I have been unable to locate the Fateful’s tracking beacon, I have been able to find Master Ceidia’s personal Jedi homing beacon. From the looks of it, it appears to have crashed on an undiscovered system somewhere in the Unknown Regions.”

“Hmmm…” Yoda put a clawed hand to his chin, considering this. “Yet, more you have say, I sense,” he said, looking up.

Obi Wan nodded. “Yes, Master. I’m afraid my contingent has been badly depleted in several recent battles. I don’t want to go in blindly, especially with Grievous in the area, without proper numbers. Unfortunately it seems all local assets are tied up in the Outer Rim Sieges. Even Anakin is tied up fighting on Felucia. I was hoping you might be able to help me with this.”

“Hmmm…” Yoda tapped his chin and thought for a moment. “Speak to the Supreme Chancellor, I shall,” he said. “Perhaps get you the reinforcements you desire, he can.”

Obi Wan bowed his in thanks. “Anything he is able to send my way would be most appreciated.”

“May the Force be with you,” said Yoda, beginning the traditional Jedi farewell.

“And with you,” replied Obi Wan, completing it.

The hologram faded away.