• Published 30th Dec 2014
  • 1,499 Views, 28 Comments

Of Tea and Discord - JLBDreamer



Tea and Picnics might sound like simple activities but when a certain Draconequus is involved things are never boring.

  • ...
1
 28
 1,499

Bending the Dimensions

Fluttershy smiled as the warm breeze gently caressed her cheeks. She loved the springtime the most of all seasons of the year. Specifically, this particular time of year was the best of the best.

“So Fluttershy…”

The pony cracked her left eye open and regarded the owner of the voice. Discord lay, semi-recumbent on the checkered blanket propping his head up with his tail, picking tufts off of a dandelion.“Yes?”

“I know I said it was your turn to choose something to do last time, but this is boring. Why can’t I do something to liven things up?” The draconequus blew on the dandelion making the airborne white tufts explode into miniature fireworks.

“You might scare the birds away and then it would disrupt their natural nesting grounds. No, you must not even think that way! When all of the birds get here things will liven up.”

“What if the birds don’t get here today though?”

“Well, the Pegasi scheduled bringing in the warm trade winds today. The birds always follow and then they come here to build their nests and start their families.”

Discord sat up and crossed his arms. “Yes, I forgot you ponies make everything so orderly.”

Fluttershy frowned. “I’m sorry Discord. If it’s that unpleasant for you then you can go. I suppose, I should have expected you wouldn’t like this. If nopony else wants to watch the birds arrive with me, then why would you?”

Discord felt a very odd feeling as he watched the pony’s ears drop half-mast and her wings drooped while she slid down onto the blanket. The gnawing feeling in his gut was something he was unaccustomed to, and yet it had been happening more often when he was around Fluttershy. Ordinarily, he would have snapped his claws and gone off to another activity he actually liked without a care. However, that was something that had become increasingly harder to do the better he knew Fluttershy.

“Why do you look so glum, Dear? I said I found waiting boring, not this activity per se. If perhaps, we had some conversation and shared some tea then the waiting might not be so bad. However, its hard to talk to you when your head turns to stare up into the sky every time the breeze rustles the leaves, hoping the little birds have finally arrived.”

The pony raised her head and looked up at her companion’s earnest expression. She was surprised that he still was there. “I have been doing that haven’t I?” She looked forlornly at the cold cup of tea and the plate of barely touched cucumber sandwiches with drooped ears and red-stained cheeks. “I get caught up in my own thoughts too easily. I’m not a very good friend after all.”

Discord grumbled under his breath. “You know you are quicker than anypony I have ever met to admit to your own failings. Its very aggravating.”

Fluttershy’s eyebrows dipped causing a very deep crease to form on her forehead. “You say that like it isn’t a good thing. Why does it bother you?”

“Frankly, it gives me far less material to work with in getting my own way. I can’t play on your guilt or pride to make you do what I want.”

Fluttershy sat up straight, ears forward and neatly folded her wings. “That’s not what friends do, Discord. You don’t do things with your friends because you’re forced to. You do them because you want to. I’m here because I like your company and I wanted to enjoy something with you. If you aren’t enjoying it I won’t make you stay.”

“Are you telling me to leave?”

“Only if you want to, Discord.”

The draconequus studied the mare’s face intently and he saw an uncertainty there he really didn’t want to admit he understood. “Well, I don’t want to go.”

Fluttershy’s smile radiated a gentle, happiness. “I’m glad.”

Before his companion decided to say anything too maudlin about friendship Discord flopped onto his back staring up into the heavens above and spoke. “I came here to do something fun with my friend today. In case you were wondering, that means doing something other than staring up at a sky devoid of anything but the color blue.” Abruptly, Discord sat up with a grin. “Maybe, if I changed the color-”

“No.”

“Why not?”

“It would upset everypony. Then they would complain to Celestia and they’d want to use the Elements of Harmony on you”

Discord frowned. “What about making the trees float up to meet the birds?”

“That might scare the birds and disrupt their migration patterns.”

“Is there anything that you wouldn’t object to?”

“Well, as long as it didn’t affect anypony other than us I don’t mind your chaos.”

The Draconequus stared at the mare as she smiled angelically up at him. This pony is driving me crazy. What on earth can I do on such a small scale that will be entertaining? Discord coiled himself around the mare as the wheels in his head turned at break-neck speed. “So, as long as it doesn’t upset the natural order of the world you won’t mind if I do something that affects you?”

Fluttershy dipped her head to the side hiding her face behind her rosy locks. “Yes. I-I trust you.”

Its statements like that make it so hard to be devious. “Well, then how about if I shift us into a more interesting dimension? Not one that’s so far removed from this one you won’t know when the birds arrive here, but one different enough to be more entertaining.”

“A different dimension? Do you really think that would be safe?”

“You’ll be with me, Dear. Of course, you’ll be safe.”

Fluttershy became quiet mulling over the odd proposition. “Okay-“

“Wonderful!” Discord giggled leaping into the air. He slapped his palms together with great force and vigorously rubbed them to together giggling madly. The draconequus looked down and saw Fluttershy smiling oddly up at him. “What?”

“Its nothing. I’m just so happy because you’re happy.”

Discord’s body plummeted back to the blanket as the air was huffed from his lungs. Why did she have to do that? Popping her through the most unsettling dimensions and watching her adorable reactions would’ve been such fun. “Fluttershy you… well…. What sort of place would you like to see first?”

“I have no idea what another dimensions would be like. You decide.”

Discord rubbed his beard. He grinned at his pony companion and snapped his claws. Fluttershy felt only a slight tingling in her body and her brain seemed momentarily surrounded by a fuzzy curtain. She snapped through the fog and a forest of unruly verdant bushes and grey brambles immediately assaulted her vision. They were in a glen surrounded by a wild and untamed wilderness.

“Welcome to a version of your world where ponies aren’t in charge.”

“Oh my!” Fluttershy squeaked. “W-where are they?”

“I’m not quite sure. There are so many of these dimensions I’m afraid I loose track.”

“You mean there are more places where ponies aren’t around?”

“Yes. There are infinite possibilities in time and space, after all. Though I’m pretty sure there is a version of you somewhere out there so don’t worry, my Dear.”

The pony turned her eyes, sweeping the vista before her slowly. “It reminds me a little of the Everfree. A-are the birds okay in this world?”

“Of course!”

Fluttershy’s ears pricked as an odd sort of twitter floated up through the choked meadow.

“Ah, here they come!” Discord announced.

A puffy blue bird with bulbous eyes, long legs and tiny flittering wings jumped into the glade.

Instantly, Fluttershy’s eyes shined and her lips formed a tiny ‘oh’. “Its so adorable!”

Soon another joined it. Then it was joined by still another. Three, four and upwards continued to jump into the clearing. It was followed the unmistakable patter of thousands of tiny feet.

“I think there might be more than I bargained for-“ Discord’s eyes grew as an avalanche of fluffy blueness poured into opening.

Fluttershy squeaked in surprise when Discord scooped her up into the sky as the tiny, avian stampede passed through beneath their feet until everything in the glen was completely engulfed. This included the entire picnic spread making continuing their picnic impossible. Before Fluttershy could question him further she was once again swallowed by the tingly and fuzzy curtain and spit out into an unfamiliar place. Discord and Fluttershy alighted on a perfectly manicured lawn. Fluttershy blinked up at the marble equine standing atop a pedestal rising up directly next to them.

“D-does that mean we missed the migration back home.”

“Most likely not. This dimension is much closer to ours and there are no birds here.” Discord palmed his forehead. “Well, it looks like I forgot to bring the picnic with us. I’ll be right back with the eats!”

“Discord-“

Fluttershy fell silent when the spot in which he was standing was no longer occupied. Why did he have to leave me alone? I don’t think Discord would leave me anywhere I’d be in danger. At least not on purpose-

The silence was abruptly shattered by the clanging a bell and Fluttershy huddled next to the cold stone as her heart hammered against her ribs. She heard a murmur. Voices? Sneaking a peek around the pedestal she noticed a red three-story building. The doors opened and strange, tall, technicolored, bipedal creatures began to pour out of them. The pony recoiled. Crouching down, Fluttershy made herself as small she could and held her breathe.

“I’ll set-up the picnic!” she heard a strangely familiar voice proclaim.

The pounding of a pair of bipedal appendages against the ground approached and Fluttershy squeezed her eyes shut. An uncomfortably nearby rustle of cloth pricked the pony’s ears. Her eyes popped open and she decided to sneak a glance at just what sort of creature was on the other side of the statue. Creeping around the corner saw the back of one of the creatures. It had yellowish skin and a pink cascade of hair going down its back. She raised her hoof and pulled a lock of her mane into her line of sight. Its coloring is a little like me. Maybe these creatures here aren’t that dangerous then?

“Oh!”

Fluttershy instantly shrunk back reprimanding herself for being so careless.

“Hello little friend. Its okay, I won’t hurt you. I like animals!”

The pony remained where she was and covered the top of her head with her hooves. A teal eye peeked around the corner. Fluttershy jumped back and squealed and the strange creature did as well.

“I’m baaack!” Discord suddenly popped in with the basket over his arm.

The creature fainted as the pony hyper-ventilated.

“Oops!” The Draconequus declared lifting up the pony and spiriting her away.

“W-what was that creature?”

“Does it matter?” The draconequus stated setting the pony down. “You’re safe now.” He rolled out the blanket with a flourish as a lavish spread of tea, cucumber sandwiches and a pot of steaming tea appeared. “Have some tea and relax, dear Fluttershy.”

The pony puffed out her cheeks and trotted over. She plopped down on her behind and didn’t look at Discord as she accepted the cup and saucer. “It wasn’t very nice of you to leave me all alone in such a strange and dangerous place.”

“Maybe, I shouldn’t have left you alone for so long. Those infernal Groundlings were everywhere! I had a horrible time trying to get them all out of the picnic basket. I’d scoop three out and five would jump back in it! I finally had to hover in the air with it and poof them all out of it with my magic.” Discord filled his own cup.

“Well, I didn’t know that. It was very frightening to be all alone somewhere I didn’t understand.”

“Fluttershy, I-I-” Discord cringed. He knew what words would unruffled the pegasus’ feathers but they were so distasteful.

“Yes?” She looked expectantly over with pleading teal eyes.

“I’m sorry.” Discord quickly pulled the cup up to his lips nonchalantly and took a sip.

“Thank you.”

It was then the pony first took a look at her surroundings. A sparkling expanse of cerulean beauty stretched across above them. It was as dazzling as gems, faceted and twinkling as far as she could see. The ground beneath them was lacking in coloration but the sky more than made up for it.

“This place is beautiful Discord!”

“Here they come!”

“Birds?”

“Well their equivalent in this dimension.”

The pony looked off into the horizon and saw an iridescent shimmering mass approaching. As it got closer the light played across the aerodynamic, featherless surface of wings as they glided towards them. The featureless ray-like creatures danced through the air above them. Fluttershy watched breathless as they somersaulted in the sparkling expanse, changing colors as they did. It was nothing like she had ever imagined.

“It’s beautiful Discord!”

“I thought you might like it here.”

“Oh I love it! Thank you so much!”

“We can stay here as long as you like but I think you’re missing the birds back home.”

“Well, I do that every year so maybe this is nice for a change.”

The draconequus and the pony shared a grin as the colorful flying creatures swooped and circled around them. One passed so close by her it tickled her the pony’s nose eliciting a pleased giggle.

Discord lifted up the tray. “Cucumber sandwiches?”

“I’d love some.”

Author's Note:

It’s so lovely bending the dimensions to my will
But when it makes you smile its just so much the better still.

Discord, My Fair Draconequus

Hi everypony! Well, I am now officially slowly coming out of my hiatus! I say slowly since there are still a few goals that I wanted to accomplish before I came out of hiatus that I haven’t met. The good news is I’ve accomplished most of it and I didn’t want to completely leave you all hanging until May, so I’ve decided to do a couple of story updates and articles.

This is the second story in my Of Tea and Discord Series. You’ll notice that this story is set after Fluttershy and Discord have known each other for a while but they still don’t know each other extremely well. As promised, this slice of life series is intended to show their friendship developing over time.

Edited on 4/21/15

Comments ( 10 )

Fluttercord BFF is OTP. Gives all the fuzzies.

Yay, update! The part where Fluttershy meets her EQG counterpart was funny.

I really like how you're taking the route of slowly building their relationship from hardly knowing each other to close friends.

5887175 Ah, I missed that bit. Or at least, there was enough space between when it was named and the narrative's first use of it for me to be confused. I suggest, though I might be wrong here, to stop calling it just "the Ursa" when it has received a name. And maybe making the first reference to it after the "naming" be something along the lines of "the Ursa, or Fuzzy, as Discord had named him..."

But that might just be me. Also, the suddenly: I use that exact word too much too. Because a lot of things are sudden. But I try to stop that, because the overuse makes the word useless.

Cute. Again.

Two points:

Discord coiled himself around the mare as the wheels-in-his-head turned at break-neck speed. “So, as long as it doesn’t upset the natural order of the world you won’t mind if I do something that affects you?

. It should just be "wheels in his head", without the hyphens. And

The doors opened and strange, tall, technic-colored, bi-pedal

. It is "technicolored, without the hypen and certainly without the "c". Also bipedal is a perfectly useful word without the hyphen.

5889180

Thanks again!

Yeah I'll be doing another edit and use your notes. Its veyr nice of you to take the time like an editor. Like I said I'm sort of hopeless on my own. I wasn't sure on the "Wheels in the head" and I thought I corrected the other two. Ugh. I swear I need to borrow someone else' eyes when I proof-read. I seriously suck at my own stuff.

5890820

Lol. I was sort of inspired by the alien design in the Abyss. The movie isn't that great but I sort of liked the design of the alien and used it for inspiration in my description.

5889083

Thanks! I couldn't resist visiting that alternate dimension through Fluttershy's eyes. I'm glad you are enjoying my approach. That's why I wanted to present them as a story set and not just post each on its own. I want the progression of their friendship seen as a series of events.

5890999 That is only natural. The author always knows what is happening and what the text is supposed to be. So it is often hard to see the writing as an outsider would. I personally always try to have at least a day pass between writing the text and proofreading it. That way, it isn't so fresh in my head what is supposed to be in the text.

Again, I'm giving out obvious advice. Sorry 'bout that.

Happy writing.

That was beautiful! I'd like to read more of these little gems :twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment