• Published 30th Apr 2012
  • 2,195 Views, 39 Comments

A face of names - DTFluttershy



The mane 6 each meet there perfect Coltfirend, but Spike and the CMC thinks somethings going on

  • ...
1
 39
 2,195

Chapter 3: Lassoes and Unicorns

The next Morning at 8 o’clock, Applejack was sleeping peacefully. She never normally slept in this late, but she had stayed late at the concert to try and sell what was left on the stand. She was enjoying her lye in when she was woken up by pots and pans being banged loudly in her room. “GAAAAAAAHHHHH!”

“Wake up youngin’,” said Granny Smith. “Time to git up.”

Granny descended back stairs with her instruments as Applejack would put. After finding having a quick shower and put on her hat, she descended downstairs where the rest of her family was settling down to breakfast. She had her trademark hat on with her precious stone that Twilight gave her. “Mornin’ ya’ll,” she greeted.

“Hi sis.”

“Mornin’ AJ.”

“It’s about time you got up,” said Granny Smith.

“Sorry Granny. It’s just ah stayed up late tryin’ to sell more apples.”

“Early to bed, early to rise youngin’.”

“I know Granny, I’m sorry.”

“Oh well,” conceded Granny Smith, “at least sold some more apples.”

As the Apple family settled down to breakfast and simply talked about the day’s schedule. Then Applebloom brought up a new topic. “Applejack, have you ever had a coltfirend.”

Applejack’s pupils shrunk as she nearly choked on a pancake. She eventually calmed herself to respond. “What makes you say that Bloom,” stuttered Applejack.

“Well, it’s just Sweetie Belle told me that Twilight has a coltfriend. I was jus’ wonderin’.”

“Don’t fret about it sis,” said Applejack as she put a reassuring hoof over her little sisters shoulder. “I have had a few coltfriends. They haven’t lasted very long cos’ THESE two keep scarin’ ‘em away.”

Applejack at pointed at both Granny Smith and Big Macintosh. “Well we need more help around the farm.”

“Granny!”

“And I want great gran kids before I go.”

“GRANNY!”

“What?!”

Applejack glared at her. Then her gaze turned to Big Mac. "An then, there’s yer brother. He won’t even let me be alone with another stallion.”

“I don’t know what yer talkin’ about,” said Macintosh. “I was just tryin’ to protect my little sister.”

“Ya made Rodeo cry!”

“I stand by my reasonin’ forever more. None of them were right for you.”

Applejack just moaned and continued with her breakfast. Evening had come round fast over Equestria. Applejack had, had a terrible day. Her argument with her family had thrown her rhythm of when it came to bucking apple trees that morning, so she only bucked half of the goal today. Selling apples down in Ponyville had gone even worst. She barley sold 1 apple. The only one she sold was to Fluttershy, but she had the suspicions that Fluttershy only bought it to Applejack feel better. “Celestia it was hard today. Flim and Flam made it look so easy,” she muttered to herself. “Ya jus’ show up, dance and sing and there just linin’ up to by cider.”

Applejacks mutterings were ruined when she noticed something in the orchard. She dropped her cart to have a closer look. She saw a mysterious figure bucking apple trees. It was obviously a unicorn. He was loading apples into a cart. “Well, that no good thief,” said Applejack. She had begun to approach him with her lasso in tow ready to subdue the intruder. Before she could even get her lasso ready though, one flew out towards her from the unicorn. Before Applejack knew it, her legs were tied together and she had been dragged towards the mysterious. She couldn’t get a look at his face due to the angle he was at and Celestia’s sun casting behind his head.

Applejack decided to get the first word. “What the hay are you doin’ here stealing our apple’s. This is Apple family private property and ya’ll have no right to...”

Before Applejack could finish, the stranger had whipped the lasso away from her legs allowing her to get up. “Ma apologies for that ma’am,” said the stranger lending a helping hoof. “I didn’t know you were an Apple.”

Applejack accepted the hoof. “Yeah well ya’ll really...shouldn’t...have...”

Applejack was just lost as she finally got a good look at the unicorn. He was brown with a black mane and tail. Not much of the mane could be seen as it was covered by a 10 gallon hat. The unicorn’s cutie mark was a simple lasso being twirled around.

“Scuse me miss,” said the unicorn.

“Huh,” said applejack snapping out of trance. “Oh Sorry. It’s just that, ya’ll really shouldn’t be trespassing.” She said that last part in a more softer tone then she was going to initially use.

“I do apologise ma’am. It’s just that earlier I overheard an apple family member that you hadn’t bucked enough apple trees and well, I decided to help. But where are my manners, I haven’t even introduced myself. My name is Loose Rope, but my friends call me Lasso. I’m from Mannessee”

“Well Lasso my names Applejack. I have to say you do know how to work a rope. No one’s ever been able to lasso me.” Then Applejack remembered. “But then, you’re a unicorn. Ya probably just used your magic to lasso me.”

Lasso looked at his horn. “This stupid thing. I never use it.”

Applejack was surprised. “Why ever not?”

Lasso turned away. “Back in Mannessee, I always wanted to lasso. When I finally earned ma cutie mark I thought I was more than qualified to enter the annual competition. But they didn’t except me because I’m a unicorn and they thought I’d use magic.”

“Well that...that just ain’t right.”

“It was at that point I decided to travel. I’ve travelled all over Equestria, an just findin’ ponies who needed my help. I always resorted for a hooves on approach, never once resortin’ ta ma magic.”

Applejack felt very sympathetic and put a reassuring hoof on Lasso’s shoulder. Before she could say anything else though, she heard Big Macintosh. “Look out AJ.”

“Macintosh wait. He’s fine.”

“He’s a no good thief is what he is,” said Macintosh. He was going at full speed, ready the charge into Lasso. Lasso quickly reached for his lasso and quickly threw it towards Macintosh. It landed in front of him. When Macintosh trotted over it, Lasso pulled tying the rampaging stallion’s legs up and sending Macintosh tumbling head over hooves towards them. He stopped just in front of them.

“Howdy,” said Lasso.

Big Macintosh was lost for words. Applejack wasn’t not far behind. “Ah don’t think anypony’s ever lassoed Macintosh.”

Then came another call. “Dinner youngin’s. Come and git it.”

“Well boy howdy, I’m starvin’. Lasso, would ya like to stay fer dinner,” said Applejack.

“Well, it can’t hurt. And it’s been such a long time since I had a home cooked meal. What the hay, I’d love ta stay.”

“Come on then,” said Applejack. “I hope ya’ll like apples,” and they began to trot to the house.

“Erm, I think yer forgetting something,” said Big Mac.

“Oh right, sorry,” said Lasso. He took his lasso and gave it a firm yank. Big Macintosh was spun round like a top. The spinning motion had also set him on his feet. When he stopped spinning his eyes kept twirling around in circle. Applejack couldn’t help herself and laugh herself stupid. Big Mac’s eyes finally stopped spinning and he glared at Applejack. “Yer not ma friend anymore.”

During dinner, Lasso introduced himself to the other members of the apple family. He told stories about his adventures through Equestria. Macintosh still glared at him the whole time they were eating. He still didn’t believe a unicorn would never use his magic. Applebloom however was completely fascinated by the stories Lasso told. His heroism was astonishing and how he asked for little in return was simply astonishing. Granny Smith had also enthralled in the stories Lasso told and she had told her own stories. Lasso held onto every word of it.

Applejack on the other hand wasn’t paying attention to the stories. She spent almost all of dinner staring dreamingly at Lasso. “Applejack.”

Applejack was drawn away from her fantasies as Granny Smith interrupted. “Huh, wha?”

“I said, did you enjoy yer food?”

“Um, yeah I did Granny.”

“Alright then. I’ll just clear the table.”

“No Mrs. Smith,” interrupted Lasso. “What of guest would ah be if I let someone of your age do the work? I’ll take care of the dishes.” Lasso was as good as his word and quickly gathered up all the dishes and took them to the kitchen.

Applejack kept staring at him dreamingly. “Well he’s a keeper,” said Granny Smith.

Applejack glared at Granny Smith and said through her teeth, “Granny!”

“Well if you won’t have him I will.”

“GRANNY!”

“I’m only kiddin’ yougin’. But you clearly haven’t been ‘ere all evenin’.”

“I suppose, I do have a crush on him.”

Big Macintosh snorted. “He is still a un-trust worthy pony. No unicorn can resist using your magic.”

“You’re only mad because he beat you up,” said Applejack triumphantly.

“Hey he took me by surprise. I bet in a straight up brawl I can take him.”

“Why don’t you do it now,” asked Applejack. “I mean, you’ve got the element of surprise.”

Big Macintosh’s eyes went wide and his pupils shrunk. His darted round nervously. “Well, I um...”

“You have been gettin’ a little flabby Mac,” said Granny.

“Um...”

“Yeah,” said Applebloom. “Well I bet even I could wrestle you to the ground.”

Macintosh finally took control. “Alright then. I’ll prove to you all I was as strong as I ever was.” He got down and quietly trotted into the kitchen. Lasso was cleaning the dishes. Macintosh knew it was the perfect time to pounce. He trotted up towards Lasso, but before he could make the first move, Lasso quickly turned around and attacked. Next thing Macintosh knew, he was upside down on the floor and his legs tied up. The rest of the Apple family tried their best to hold in there laughs. They failed. Miserably. They were laughing so much the both Applejack and Applebloom were on the floor. Granny smith tried her best from breaking her hip. “I didn’t find it funny the first time,” said Macintosh.

“Well Macintosh,” said Lasso, “have you learnt your lesson.”

Macintosh just snorted as the rest of the Apple family stopped laugh. “Oh boy howdy,” said Applejack. “I haven’t laughed that hard in years.”

“Neither I youngin’,” said Granny Smith. “Well time for bed I think.”

“But Granny,” whined Applebloom.

“Early to bed, early to rise. Lasso, d’ya wanna a bed for the night.”

“I thank you kindly ma’am,” said Lasso.

“You can stay in my room then,” said Macintosh, “so I can keep an eye on you.”

Applejack was now getting really annoyed with her brother. “Sorry,” said Lasso, “but as a traveller, I sleep under the stars.” He then proceeded towards the door after removing his lasso from around Macintosh. “I do thank you kindly for the offer though an for givin’ me food.”

“You can come for breakfast if you like as well,” said Applejack.

“Sorry ma’am, but I’ll be leavin’ tamarrow mornin’ Gotta keep up my travels. See ya another day partners,” and Lasso exited the house.

Applejack was disappointed to say the least. “Good riddance,” said Macintosh.

Applejack had, had enough. “You know what Big Mac, forget you. He is a kind gentlepony and all you did was eye him suspiciously all evenin’,” she shouted. “Maybe for once, yer wrong about this colt and what if I do like him. It’s my life to live, not yours. Who do ya’ll you are my father.”

The Apple family was in silence. It wasn’t just Applejacks outburst but also due to the fact she mentioned Father Apple. “I’m goin’ ta bed,” said Applejack and stormed upstairs with a tear in her eye.

Macintosh resumed a face of anger. “She’ll come round eventually,” he said as he went into the kitchen for a drink.

“Granny.”

“Yes Applebloom.” Applebloom just gave Granny smith a look of concern. “Don’t worry Bloom. I know what she’s goin through. Come on, let’s get you ta bed.”

Later that night, Applejack was staring out the window at a faint glow in the distance she could only assume to be Lasso. She sighed mournfully. “He’s only tryin’ his best.” Applejack turned around to find Granny Smith standing in the doorway. Applejack just rested her head on her hooves. Granny Smith came forward to greet her by the window. She stared into the sky full of Twinkling stars and Luna’s moon.

“He still blames himself fer the accident.”

“I know Granny. It’s just he’s tryin’ ta be my parent, but, he jus’ isn’t.” Applejack then looked to Granny Smith. She then returned the look. “I miss ‘em everyday Granny. I really do.”

“I understand Applejack. I miss ‘em to.” They stared out the window again for a few moments until Granny spoke again. “I can see it in yer eyes ya know.”

“See what?”

“The look. I saw it in yer grandpapy’s eyes when he met me, and I saw it in my own daughters eyes when she met yer father.” Applejack knew what Granny meant. “Go on. Go see ‘em.”

Applejack was surprised by this turn of events. “But, you said early ta bed, early ta...”

“Never mind what I said. Go see ‘em if ya want. And don’t worry about yer brother. He’s thinking a lot to.”

Tears began to form in Applejack’s eyes. “Thank you Granny. Thank you.”

Applejack then grabbed her hat and trotted quickly out to meet with Lasso. “Eeyup. Young love,” said Granny Smith, thoughtfully.

Applejack walked through the orchard to the tallest hill. She knew that Lasso would be there. As she got closer, she began to here a harmonica playing. As she assended the hill, she saw Lasso around a fire and very skilfully playing an old tune on his harmonica. When he finally stopped, Applejack trotted to his side. “Hey.”

Lasso looked up. “Hey.”

“D’ya mind if I, sit with you?”

“Not at all. Make yerself comfortable partner.”

Applejack sat down next to Lasso. Lasso just kept staring at the stars. Applejack meanwhile looked at him. “Ya’ll didn’t tell us you played.”

Lasso gave a quick chuckle. “When ya travel around as much as I do, sometimes music is yer only company.”

They sat in silence for a bit more. Applejack also began to stare into the sky trying to see what Lasso was looking at. “Listen, I wanna apologise fer my family this evenin’,” said Applejack. “Big Mac can get a little over protective.”

“Ya’ll should appreciate fer what yer family do fer ya,” said Lasso. “Otherwise one day,” he paused. “They may not be there.”

Applejack was puzzled. “Ya didn’t tell us that at dinner either.”

“I didn’t want to remind you all about your parents.”

“How did ya know?”

“Well, the pieces aren’t that hard to put together.” Another moment of silence. “Look Applejack, I completely understand what Big Macintosh does. He just doesn’t wanna repeat of what happened to yer parents.”

“I know but, I’m a grown filly who can already take care of myself.”

“So I’ve heard,” said Lasso smiling.

“Why can’t he just accept that though?”

Lasso took Applejack’s chin in his hoof and turned it to face his own. “Because he loves you. And he will protect you from anything. It’s just that to him, colts and stallion are threats.” He frowned. “Look, if he doesn’t want me here, I won’t be a bother anymore. I’ll back ma bags and head to the next town.”

“But, you only just got here,” said Applejack, sadness building in her voice. “Ya can’t keep travelin’ like this. Yer gonna hurt yerself, And...and...”

Applejack was now beginning to stutter a little, but before she could say anything else, Lasso kissed her on the forehead. Applejack was largely taken aback. Lasso then gave her a smile that just seemed to say, “I know.”

Applejack then in the spurt of the moment, jumped back and kissed Lasso on the lips. Lasso returned the same energy that Applejack gave. There hooves also trying to bring each other closer. When they finally parted, Applejack had tears of joy in her eyes. “Well,” said Lasso, “it’s getting late. We really outta get some sleep. I’ll see ya in the mornin’ Miss Applejack.”

Lasso laid down to get some sleep. Applejack however didn’t move. “Ya mind if, I sleep out here as well.”

“Don’t mind at all,” said Lasso and reached out his front left hoof to invite her to come in. Applejack obliged. She made herself comfortable with her head lying on Lasso chest. She listened to his gentle heart beat. Lasso then put his hoof over Applejack in a loving embrace and kissed her again on her forehead. Applejack was meant to say something, but she was so happy, that she dozed of immediately.