• Published 30th Apr 2012
  • 3,364 Views, 76 Comments

Chrysalis's little Rush - Evowizard25



Chrysalis never knew what it was like to love and be loved, until now

  • ...
8
 76
 3,364

Deciet

The Queen of the changelings basked in a sunny patch of treeless forest. A sunhat sat upon her head, doing its job in keeping the sun out of her face. Not mention making her look fabulous. 'Don't I always. To which she internally answered yes. She held a glass of lemonade in her hoof and took a sip. The lemonade was freshly squeezed and done well enough, but with her heightened taste buds the drink held the slight taste of Rove. 'Simply horrible.'

Chrysalis groaned as she watched Rove play with her daughter, for like, the umpteenth time. That’s all that confounded mare and filly did all day. Play catch, tea parties; ‘I never understood what fillies see in pretending to drink and eat. It serves no purpose. This is why ponies are far inferior to us.’, and all that other sappy stuff. She felt like gagging, but this love was so powerful that over the last few days she’d gathered enough energy to walk on her own hooves.‘Well, that’s a start.’ But she knew that she needed a direct source of food. Feeding on their scraps wouldn't do her for long. She needed to get them to love her. And fast. She knew that the remaining changelings would have little to no chance of surviving without her leadership.‘But how?’

Currently, they were playing keep away with a ball. 'More like ‘daughter runs around stupidly while her mother does a half-flanked job of catching her.’ Soon enough, Sugar Rush had accidentally kicked the ball over to her. The little Earth pony rushed over and grabbed it, but stopped immediately upon seeing her. She was right in front of her. Chrysalis could see the terror in her eyes. She smiled sweetly, to which the filly started to smile as well. Until, the changeling queen bared her fangs, hissed, and lunged.

The filly ran away screaming, leaving the queen laughing hysterically. “Oh, that was rich.” She licked her lips. “And most satisfying.” Yes, she knew that her little act was terrible, but it helped vent a little of her frustration.

Sugar Rush ran past her mother and into the wagon that held all their belongings. Rove glared at Chrysalis and stomped on over to her. “I bet you’re really proud of yourself. Scaring a little filly like that.”

“Of course I am.” Chrysalis smiled. “Fear is the second most delicious emotion.”

“Well sorry, but I think you need to go on a diet.” Rove said.

“Were you trying to be funny?”

“I was trying to get through that thick skull of yours.” Rove yelled. “For the last few days, all you’ve done is complain and scare the living Tartarus out of my little filly. Don’t you have the least bit of compassion?”

“I haven’t felt compassion in over nine hundred years.” Chrysalis took another sip from her drink.

“I’m sorry for your troubled past, but that gives you no right to terrorize my daughter.”

“Fine.” Chrysalis harrumphed, turning to look elsewhere. “Then I’ll have to find something else to occupy my valuable time.”

Rove scoffed. “Valuable time, my flank.” She muttered. “Well then, you wouldn’t mind helping me collect a few things from the forest, now would you?” Chrysalis looked at her, as if she was mad.‘Me? Do manual labor? Surely she jests.’ “I mean, you said it yourself. You need something to occupy, your ‘oh so valuable time’.” She spat.

Chrysalis narrowed her eyes at the mare. ‘She will pay for actions. I swear it. And it won’t be pretty. Oh no, it’ll be brutal. So brutal, that the brutality will be renowned through the brutal underground that was founded on brutality…Oh my stars, I can’t even monologue to myself right. After this, I need a vacation.’ “Fine.”

“Who knows, maybe you’ll find a cute, innocent bunny to snack on.” Rove said, going over to the cart, which her little daughter hid. “I know how you Changelings prefer fresh meat.”

Chrysalis gave her a quizzical look. This mare knew quite a bit about Changelings, more so than she liked. She preferred it when the ponies were ignorant of her race and their customs. They seemed to fear the unknown and that’s was she strived for. ‘This mare…could be problematic, but at least she has a good head on those shoulders.’

Rove called. “Sugar, sweetie. Come out. Chrysalis isn’t going to eat you.”

“Really?” The filly called out from within.

“Yes, really.” Rove answered. “She’s just frustrated is all. She is far away from home remember.” The filly nodded. “Beside, Changelings don’t eat ponies. They eat love.”

“Love?” Sugar quirked her head to the side. “How do they eat that?”

“Because they feed off the emotions of others so they can survive.” Rove looked back at the Queen, sending a small glare her way. “Though, they tend to snack on other things.”

“Are you still on about those strawberry tarts?” Queen Chrysalis scoffed. “I was doing you a favor. Ancestors above know that you need to loose weight. You look like a bloated pig with that form.”

Rove looked as though she was about to explode in a volcano made of pure fury. Instead of making a comeback, which the Queen was prepared to match, she turned to her daughter. “Now, could you be a dear and grab my saddlebags. One for me and Chrysalis here.”

“Okay mommy.”

“Now see here.” Chrysalis rose to her hooves. “I will not be used as a pack mule.”

“Oh hush.” Rove started on her. “I’ve had it up to here with you.” She raised her hoof to her forehead. “Now, if you want to be fed and taken care of you’ll have to earn your share. I know that maybe foreign to the likes of you, but not to us ponies it isn’t.”

Chrysalis wanted to argue, but she let it die in her throat. She needed them if she was going to survive. The Changling race had to continue, since her subjects couldn’t go on with their lives without her there to guide them. She hated to acknowledge it, but she highly doubted that any of her attack force could have survived the blast. She was the queen, who had been more powerful than Celestia, and she’d barely survived a few days. Of course, she didn’t let any of her sadness and grief show. She wasn’t going to allow these ponies to see her weakness.

The filly finally came out, interrupting the intense ‘stare down’, that was going on. She carried the bags in her mouth, spitting it out in front of her mother. “I got them, mommy.”

Rove broke eye contact with the Changeling Queen and nuzzled her daughter. “Thank you, sweetie.” She grabbed one of the saddlebags with a hoof and stood on her back legs. She pulled the saddlebag around her back and clipped it in the front. When she was finished, which took a couple of minutes, she smiled and ruffled her daughter’s mane, before falling back to all fours. Chrysalis was impressed. Not many ponies could maneuver so well and for so long on their hind legs. “Now be a good girl and stay in the wagon.” She gave the little Earth pony a hug.

“I’ll be careful.”

“Promise?”

“Promise.”

Rove smiled warmly and kissed her on the head. She pulled away and wiped a few strands of hair out of her daughter’s face. “My, my. I think somepony forgot to brush this morning.”

Sugar Rush pouted. “I was tired, mommy.”

“Ah, ah.” Rove waved a hoof, dismissingly. “A lady keeps herself in order. And that means you have to brush your hair every morning.”

“Do I have to?” Sugar said. “My mane seems fine.”

“Oh, but what about those dolls you keep brushing all day long.” Rove said. “Do they deserve more attention than you?”

“No.” Sugar’s ears splayed back. She looked up at her. “Will you brush it for me, mommy?”

“Of course I will.” Rove said, running a hoof through her little filly’s mane, before it rested on her cheek. She gave her one last kiss to the forehead, before turning to Chrysalis. “Let’s go.” She said, quite sternly.

“After you.” Chrysalis shot back.
_________________________________________________________
The two walked on in silence. Neither of them wanted to talk to each other, which Chrysalis found a bit odd. Rove seemed like a nice, talkative mare.‘Maybe it’s because I’ve been scaring the daylights out of her precious little filly.’ She mused. But she was happy for this silent moment. She preferred the quiet tranquility over the ruckus of the crowds. Except those of her own kind, but never could any of them hold a conversation. ‘Drones are drones after all.’

“So,” Chrysalis started, wanting to kill the silence. ‘That’s not the only thing I want to kill right now.’ “Why didn't you use your magic to put on the saddlebag? It would have saved you time and effort.”

“Well, that’s easy to answer.” Rove said. “As you’ve noticed, Sugar Rush is an Earth pony, so she doesn’t have any magic. It was quite shocking, since me and my husband were both unicorns and to our knowledge both out lineages were pure, but we loved her all the same. We decided to try and do everything with our own two hooves, to show her that she can do whatever she puts her mind to. That she isn’t inferior to unicorns. She’s special, in her own way.”

Chrysalis scoffed. “That’s by far the most ridiculous explanation I have ever heard. If you have gifts, use them. Don’t throw them away for the sake of some midget.”

Rove glared at her. “Do not call her names.” Her horn lit up, looking like she was ready to prepare a spell.

“Alright, I won’t.” Chrysalis held up a hoof, defensively. She couldn’t fight the unicorn in her current state.

“Good.” Rove said.

A thought occurred to the queen and she knew she had to ask. “Where did you learn about my race?” She asked aloud. This single thought was nagging at her. They were too far out for this mare to have learned about their existence and Chrysalis had done her best to keep herself and her children out from the evil eyes of her family.

“I once encountered a changeling scout in my youth.” A look of nostalgia traced itself onto her face. A slight smile graced her lips. “He was lost in the woods, hurt and alone. I didn’t know what he was at the time and to be honest I was scared of him when I first met him, but I had to help him.”

“Why?” Chrysalis asked. She wasn’t expecting this of her.

“Because I’m a pony.” Rove said, as though it explained everything. “Anyways, I nursed him back to health and we parted ways.”

“And that’s it?”

“Yes.” The unicorn mare nodded.

Chrysalis could sense she was hiding something. She could feel Rove’s emotion emanating from her. ‘Let’s see. Pride, embarrassment, longing, a tiny bit of arousal…’ “Rove, you naughty mare.” The changeling couldn’t help but giggle.

Rove blushed when she heard it. She used the magic that she had been building up to take out a scroll and hand it over to her. “Now, be of some use and get the items on this list.”

Chrysalis reluctantly grabbed the parchment with a hoof. She still didn’t have the energy to conjure up a simple levitation spell. ‘How long is it going to take, before I free myself of these ponies?’ She grumbled inwardly, before making her way through the trees.

Several hours of pain and dirty work later, Chrysalis went looking for Rove. She had a fierce scowl on her face. ‘I’m going to give her a piece of my mind.’ It didn’t take her long to find the horrid mare that had forced her to work in such conditions. She was plucking a few mushrooms that were growing beneath a tree, humming while she did it.

Before she could walk over and ruin the peaceful moment, she noticed a pair of eyes watching the oblivious pony. She recognized the cat like eyes. They belonged to none other than a manticore. Horrid beasts they were. Renowned for their strength and vicious attitudes.

With her heightened vision, she could make out that it was indeed a manticore, albeit a young one. Most likely it would be scared off if she walked out of her concealment. Though, she didn’t want to chance it. Manticores, even young ones, carried a poisonous sting. She’d be dead in minutes, especially in her current state. But if she did nothing, the manticore would surely seize Rove.

The Queen had to make a decision and fast. A pony’s life depended on it. All of a sudden, an idea struck her. ‘It’s so simple, yet it solves everything.’ She knew what she had to do and she was going to do it now.

Chrysalis took a step back….
___________________________________________________________
Sugar Rush sat inside the wagon, playing with a couple of toys. One was a toy of Princess Celestia and the other was a National Guard. “Oh, thank you for saving me, Mr. Guard.” She moved Celestia’s doll, trying to say it in a Princessy manner.

“There’s no need, milady.” She said, in her best guy voice. “I’m the hero.”

She made them kiss, avoiding to look at it. ‘Cause kissing is icky.’ But then, she was interrupted when she saw her mother rush out of the forest. She smiled brightly. “MOMMY!” She yelled rushing out of the cart.

“Sweetie.” Her mother yelled, happily. She looked rugged and beat up. She opened her arms out wide and welcomed her daughter’s embrace. “I’m so happy to see you.”

“I’m happy to see you too, mommy.” Sugar Rush said, nuzzling her mother’s side. “Where’s that big mean lady?”

“She’s…she’s not coming back, Sugar.” Her mother said. “But that doesn’t matter. What matters is that I have you all to myself.” She hummed, soothing her little filly. “Tell me that you love me.”

“I love you, mommy.”

“And how much do you love me?”

“A whole lot.” Sugar giggled.

“Good.” What the little filly couldn’t see, was that her mother had a wicked smile upon her face. She opened her eye to reveal a green, slitted iris. “That’s what I wanted to hear.”