• Published 1st Dec 2014
  • 3,332 Views, 60 Comments

Binary Suns - Cosmic Cowboy



Celestia wakes up feeling beside herself.

  • ...
2
 60
 3,332

Have Fun, Twin Suns.

At precisely 5:35 a.m., just like almost every other morning for the last two centuries, Princess Celestia opened her eyes and smiled at the canopy over her head.

“Good morning, Equestria,” said two identical voices, simultaneously.

Celestia blinked in surprise. She turned her head on her pillow and saw herself blinking in surprise back at her. Well this is odd, she thought to herself in amusement.

She shifted and propped herself up on her left foreleg to get a better look. At the same time, her counterpart pushed back the covers to sit up. Both goddesses froze, realizing the same thing.

“You’re not a reflection, are you?” they both asked, sitting-up Celestia a heartbeat later than leaning-against-the-pillow Celestia.

The two separate and distinct deities shared a look and came to an agreement, getting out of bed on opposite sides and coming around to meet each other at the foot. They circled each other, studying every detail, smiling in curiosity.

“How fascinating,” the princesses said together, then they giggled. They each gestured for the other to speak, then pulled back, rolling their eyes. After some confusion, the Celestia nearest the balcony doors successfully deferred to her twin. They shared a smile, and began a more normal conversation.

“Are you… some sort of copy? A changeling perhaps?”

The other Celestia shook her head. “I don’t think so. I believe myself to be the real Celestia, of course, but you likely believe the same about yourself.”

The first Celestia nodded. “I do. I suppose there is no way to satisfactorily prove either of our legitimacies one way or the other, is there?”

“No, I suppose not.”

“Well, it may not serve as absolute proof, but we may try comparing memories.”

“I was thinking the same thing,” one Celestia said with a smile. “Why don’t you start?”

Celestia narrowed her eyes in thought while Celestia waited expectantly.

“What is the name of Twilight Sparkle’s old doll?”

The response came immediately, as if Celestia had known what question to expect. “Smarty Pants. And she had her own notebook and quill so she could study along with Twilight.” She smirked. “A good sweep for amateur imposters, but hardly a thorough test. Of course, it was the same question I would have asked.”

“Of course.”

“Let’s try something harder... When this castle was first built, what was the name of the assistant chef?”

Celestia had tried not to predict the next question, so she had to think for a moment to remember the name. “Trencher Loaf.” She snorted as she remembered the bombastic Earth Pony and his cooking. “He never became Head Chef, though, and I know of no historical mention of him. Nice choice. Okay, let’s try a different sort of memory…” She smiled smugly as she settled on a stumper for any non-goddess. “What are the final two Laws of Five-Dimensional Matricial Latticing that have yet to be re-discovered by contemporary arcanoscience, and who was the last unicorn to know them?”

Celestia narrowed her eyes and smiled back. “Trick question. The unicorn was Stone Circle, but there are three more laws for them to find. And if you happened to be an imposter, this would be a fine opportunity to learn them from me. So, to prove to me that you know them, we will say the first together, then I will give the second and you give the third. Is that agreeable?”

“It is. Shall we begin?”

It took some concentration to speak in unison again, but it helped that they were reciting academic definitions. “Astrali’s Fifth Law: Identical five-dimensional matrices cannot be constructed under the same lunar phase.”

“Astrali’s Sixth Law: The lengths of the axial lattices of a five-dimensional matrix are determined according to the length of the caster’s horn.”

“Astrali’s Seventh Law: The magnitude of the fifth-dimension component of a five-dimensional matrix is inconsequential. Are you satisfied?”

“I am. Are you?”

“I am.”

The two Celestias smiled warmly at each other, then burst out laughing.

“We should play chess,” one suggested. “I’ve always wanted a worthy opponent.”

“Ah ah ah,” the other tutted. “Aren’t we forgetting something?”

“Of course not,” one replied, walking toward the balcony. “We have to raise the sun in two minutes.”

“Three and a half minutes,” the other corrected, following her and casting a spell of illusion around the balcony to hide the strange phenomenon of there suddenly being two Goddesses of the Sun.

“Nice catch.”

Standing side by side on the balcony, the two Celestias prepared themselves magically and mentally to raise the sun, stances tense and eyeing each other challengingly.

“Together,” one said after a long silence. The other nodded.

As the moon fell toward the west, two long white horns lit up with golden light simultaneously, and two identical magical energies merged together to pull the morning sun up from behind the eastern horizon. Its movements were jittery, being tugged by two forces, but it obeyed and rolled upward with less resistance than its normal sluggish pace. The twin princesses nodded at each other. Their powers were equally matched.

Any other pony, or even Celestia faced with anypony else, might have been surprised by suddenly being turned blue. This pony, however, was thinking almost the exact same thoughts as the one who did the casting, and had come to the same conclusion. They needed some way to distinguish themselves. For the purposes of that morning, they became Blue Celestia and Yellow Celestia.

Blue Celestia nodded in agreement with Yellow Celestia’s decision, and led the way back into their bedchambers. Together they sat down on cushions in front of the unlit fireplace, but before they could resume their conversation, there came a knock from the door, and the voice of Feather Duster, one of the Royal Maids.

“Good morning, Your Highness! May I come in?”

Blue Celestia covered her mouth with a hoof and nodded for Yellow Celestia to answer.

“Not today, Feather Duster. I have matters of personal importance to attend to this morning.”

There was a pause that might have signified concern, but Feather Duster’s response was as chipper and enthusiastic as always. “Very well, Your Highness. Call for me if you require anything.”

The two Celestias waited for their maid to leave, then looked at each other in thought.

“Now what?” Blue Celestia asked.

“We can’t go about our duties as two Princesses,” Yellow Celestia observed.

Blue Celestia shook her head. “Only one of us can do that. As for the other, I’m not sure what will happen to her.”

“To be perfectly frank, I’m still not convinced that you are really me.”

“Neither am I that you are me. However, you have proven that you have my memories and my power. I think I might be comfortable leaving my kingdom in your hooves, with my close, yet remote supervision, of course. If I were to leave with you remaining in my stead, the only thing I would be concerned about would be your motives.”

“I agree. Somepony of your power would have no trouble resisting mind magic or even leading me to false conclusions if I were to search your mind, so there is no way for me to be able to completely trust you based on what evidence we have available to us now.”

“Naturally. If I were to leave, I would most certainly keep a close watch on you and your rule, and I would be ready constantly to step back in to restore my rightful rule.”

“Of course. And if I were to stay and remain Princess Celestia, I would be able to rule peacefully knowing that you are watching my every move for signs that I have ill intentions for my little ponies, and I think I could trust you to remain uninvolved in my affairs so long as the arrangement lasts.”

“And I you. If I remained and you are, in fact, an imposter, I would not fear you any more than I fear any other threat to Equestria, and probably less than if I knew you were at large somewhere I couldn't watch you. Of course, we must keep in close contact.”

“Yes, we must. If I were to leave, I would want regular, truthful, and detailed reports from you about affairs both political and personal, as they would be my affairs, too.”

“As would I. I believe this solution could work. The only question that remains is which one of us stays, and which one leaves?”

“Hmm. Rather than volunteering, why not leave the decision up to chance? I propose a simple game.”

“Oh? Which one?”

“We tell a servant to flip a coin. No magic, no power of suggestion. We change back to our normal colors, one of us hides, and the other calls back Feather Duster to relay the command to a random guard in the castle, then report the result back to us.”

“That sounds reasonable. Shall we write up the instructions, so we can both agree on the exact wording?”

“We should. We should allow for no interference either way.”

“My thoughts exactly. Here, I will record the instructions, then I will hide myself in the wardrobe while you call Feather Duster to deliver them. You may scan the document magically to your satisfaction for signs of enchantment, as will I at the same time for any tampering of yours.”

“Very well. Now would you be so kind as to write up our draft?”

“Certainly,” Celestia said, pulling writing supplies out of her desk and smiling cheekily. “Now think carefully, do you want ‘moon’ or ‘sun’?”


Feather Duster knocked apprehensively on the large oak doors to Princess Celestia’s private chambers. “You called, Your Highness?”

The doors swung open, and the Goddess of the Sun smiled down at the little unicorn. Feather Duster felt a breeze from the open balcony doors, and a strange, momentous feeling of importance settled on her withers as she met Celestia's eyes. Inexplicably, she suddenly felt as if she were witnessing some great and historic event, though to all her normal senses it seemed to be a perfectly normal morning.

“I have a small errand for you, Feather Duster.” Celestia levitated up a sealed envelope. “I want you to go down to the barracks and deliver this to the fourth guard you see there. Wait for his response, then bring it back here to me. And please remember to knock on our door first.”

‘Our’ door, madame?”

Celestia smiled. “I must be picking up old habits from my dear sister. Pay no mind.”

Feather Duster curtsied and took the envelope (reverently, she noted with bemusement) from her mistress. “Of course, Your Highness.”


Some time later, the best chess game of Celestia's respective lives was interrupted by another knock at the door. Excitedly, Blue Celestia walked quickly and quietly to the open wardrobe and shut herself in, leaving a small crack open to watch her yellow counterpart as she restored their coats to their natural colors to answer the door.

“Here you are, Your Majesty.”

“Thank you, Feather Duster. That will be all.”

“Um, yes, Your Majesty.”

The formerly Blue Celestia might have frowned at the curt dismissal, but she herself was carelessly barging out of a wardrobe as soon as the door was shut, not caring if Feather Duster heard or not.

“What does it say?”

Celestia opened the envelope and pulled out the paper inside, both sets of eyes immediately searching the bottom of the page for the result.

There on the line, written in clumsy but legible mouthwriting, was simply the word “sun”.

Both Celestias’ faces lit up. One because she didn’t have to leave her kingdom in the hooves of a possible imposter, and the other because she was secretly happy to have an excuse to get away from her responsibilities.

The twin Goddesses met each other’s eyes with a smile and shook hooves warmly.

“Good luck to you, Celestia.”

“Same to you, Celestia. I want reports every Sunday and Wednesday, and if you miss one I’ll be coming by for a visit.”

“Of course. I would love updates on your activities as well, though I have no way of following up with you or ensuring your honesty. And I expect your next move in this game of ours in your first letter. I couldn't bear to let it go unfinished.”

“Don’t worry, I promise I will.” Her expression turned serious, and she looked to Celestia with pleading eyes. “Take good care of my little ponies. I’ll never be far away.” She stepped to the middle of the room and began gathering magical energy.

“Of course. They’re my little ponies too, you know,” Celestia reassured her. “Assuming you aren’t secretly a Changeling Queen or Discord in disguise, I would love to see you again. It’s been refreshing, meeting myself in person for the first time.”

“I would like that. If all goes well, though, it will be a few years before that time comes. Goodbye, Princess.” Celestia flared her wings and lit her horn, and with a powerful flash, she was gone.

Princess Celestia stepped out onto her porch and looked up at her sun– their sun? She saw movement from above and stepped aside to let Luna land next to her.

“Sister! Is everything alright? I sensed something strange earlier.”

“I’m sure I don’t know what you’re talking about,” Celestia said with a smile, walking back inside. “Care to join me for breakfast?”

Author's Note:

And so, Celestia began her epic journey, which would make for a far more interesting tale than this was. Celestia also continued her reign as the all-powerful Princess of Equestria, as if nothing had ever happened. Neither of them ever spoke of this to another living soul, though it was often wondered how one princess could seem to be in two places at once. Rumors of her speed and powers of teleportation became legend.

But how and why did this all happen in the first place? The world may never know.

Comments ( 58 )

Are you continuing this? Because, in my humble opinion, you totally should.

5331483 I'm playing with the idea of all my stories being in the same universe, so maybe someday some adventurer will run into Blue Celestia (or Yellow, I get them mixed up).

Please continue this! I'd love to read about the adventures of Celestia! :yay:

I'd love this to continue!

This begs for a sequel; the comedic potential is too damn high.

Creative and well written. I'd love to see more.

Yeesh. This keeps up, and pretty soon I'll be outvoted.

...Sorry bro, you opened Pandora's box with this one. One Celestia doing jobs, the other vacationing. Moreover, seemingly the exact same pony, but in 2 separate bodies. You HAVE to at least say how the idea came about, if not the actual cause in this universe. Either way, well done, you have honestly made me both interested, and perplexed.

5332500 You know, I only came up with this idea yesterday or the day before, and I really don't remember where it came from. I got three or four other one-shot ideas along with it (Equestria Girls Make Rainbow Rocks, Goldilocks and the Chimera, Luna Knows (And You Should Be Ashamed), to be precise), but this is the only one I ended up writing. I do know the idea came before the title, so it's not astronomy-inspired.

5332517

:rainbowhuh: Huh...fair enough. Granted, the title was rather what made me stop, do a double take, and check it out. All in all, I'm curious if you WANT to expand upon this. If so, I have a few ideas if you need them. Though I'll admit the Luna one sounds hilarious, and I'd love to see that. Still and all, great work!

5332588 It'll probably be a few long stories before I do anything like a sequel, but go ahead and PM me your ideas, I would love to hear them.

5332594

Sure thing, likely sometime tomorrow...on that note, see ya then!

Well written. An enjoyable addition to my morning coffee

does this have sequel or prequel.

Superbly done, and an excellent concept.

So, Equestria is on Tattooine?

5335340 Teeheeheehee... You made me laugh. They're just in the same system.

I found this story to be intriguing and surprisingly thorough as to how to discern oneself from oneself... especially given that magic is involved.

Overall, five stars!

5336601

Yeah. Considering that Celestia herself is an immortal goddess with a bit of a trickster streak (like Discord, though his "trickster streak" is more like a "trickster football field"), it would only make sense for her to use all of her wit and cunning to see who is the real Celestia, even though both of them appear to be real.

5340239
Make this a story =D

lost opprotunity. Make one of the Celestia's.... Luna

5343760 Uhhh... make her turn into Luna? Make another Luna to be the other Celestia's sister? Have it turn out to be Luna in disguise? I'm a little confused by what you mean.

If this happened to me I would probably just switch off every day who gets to be the real me. One of me sits reading fanfiction all day, or doing homework, while the other goes to school and stuff. Or even just have a permanent set-up like that, though it would be hard deciding who got the laptop.

But how did this all happen in the first place? The world may never know.

Bored extra-dimensional god.:moustache:
What?! But I just told you how!:facehoof:

5345454 I figured this was before recorded history and when one Celestia turned blue the idea popped into head. Luna being Blue Celestia.

5346401 Oh my gosh. You're right, I should have written that story. A person can change a lot over centuries, after all. Can you imagine that?

Feather Duster: "Good morning, Your- uh, what's going on?"

Yellow Celestia: "Oh, Feather Duster. This is my... um... sister, uh, Luna."

FD: "Uh huh. And why are you yellow?"

YC: "Oh, Luna's quite the jokester... you know..."

Blue Celestia: "..."

Actually, no, scratch that. This is how it should have happened:

FD: "Your Majesty! Wake up! It's nighttime and there's a little sun in the sky!"

*Both Celestias burst out of bed and tumble over each other trying to look outside. One identification scene later, they settle for Black Celestia and White Celestia. Both try moving the new little sun, and Black Celestia finds she's in control of it, and holy crap I'm taking this too seriously again. I really can't make anything silly and inconsequential. Hopefully that means my adventure/dark story will be really good.

5346410 glad I could help. Heck it even works well with the whole jealousy angle.

5346485
I can see it now:

Luna/Blue Celestia: Um... I'm getting kind of tired of raising the moon. Can we switch now?
Yellow Celestia: NO! I won the coin toss fair and square!
Luna: Why you... (turns into Nightmare Moon)

And 1000 Years Later:

Yellow Celestia: I'm terribly sorry Lu- ur, Blue Celestia. We can switch now if you want. I'll be Luna.
Blue Celestia: Really? *squee*

5368307 it would add more credence to the fight

Really needs to be longer or more chapters (like 5 or 6) I would like to see if the Celestia double is a Discord or a Changeling Queen. Or one day they get caught talking to eachother and now Equestria winds up seeing TWO Celestia's needless to say this story needs an ending.

5335340 Maybe Maybe... Though of course you will have to invent a way to go in another solar system BUT STILL... maybe:trollestia:

5368597 That or it's like this:

Good story. :pinkiesmile:

I'm guessing one Celestia being off by one-and-a-half minutes may prove relevant to why there are two Celestias. Perhaps one is one-and-a-half minutes displaced in time somehow - but in so doing, this prevents the very event sending her back in time, thus creating a two-Celestia paradox? :derpyderp2:

Heh. You know, I expected something along these lines to happen. One may call it a "Deleted Scene". :raritywink:

Standing side by side on the balcony, the two Celestias prepared themselves magically and mentally to raise the sun, stances tense and eyeing each other challengingly.

"Together," one said after a long silence. The other nodded.

As the moon fell toward, two long white horns lit up with golden light simultaneously - and the warm glow of the morning sun became visible from below the horizon. The sun peaked, then rose in full, high into the sky.

It was then followed by the sun rising.

"Oh," said Celestia.

"This is ... unexpected," Celestia agreed.

:derpytongue2:

5368619 :rainbowlaugh: EXACTLY MOAR POWER TO EQUESTRIA :rainbowlaugh:

First of all, I don't get it.

Second of all, what did I just read?

Third, I can't exactly tell if this is funny, but I like it.

Fourth, at this point I'm just adding numbers.

5368619 There's the explanation, people. This guy figured it out. It's all because of the power of Old Spice.

Hello, and Happy Holidays! I'm IncoherentOrange of WRITE, here to review your quirky little tale.

Suppose I'll start at the very beginning, as any reader will, with the description. Rhetorical questions seem to me a rather weak method to hook a reader, and a rearrangement of that might make it a more potent opener. It stands solid enough on its own, however, and for a lot of the target audience, the image will sell it anyway.

Usually, I'd have more material from which to determine repeated structural and grammatical irregularities, but I'll see if I can come up with some general advice to improve the flow of your story. Upon finishing it, the only real gripe I have is with the descriptive style:

“How fascinating,” the princesses said together, then they giggled. They each gestured for the other to speak, then pulled back, rolling their eyes. After some confusion, the Celestia nearest the balcony doors successfully deferred to her twin. They shared a smile, and began a more normal conversation.

It feels a little bit like a script for an animation, laying out the details of how a scene plays out; it's a bit too fast, a lot of things like "then", and "after". Other areas are devoid of description whatsoever, and while this is fine for strict dialogue - and that is what makes up the meat of this story - the short length leaves it a little lacking in description, and at times the two Princesses get a little bit of talking head syndrome, the characters' actions and gestures having no importance until they are suddenly dragged back to a described location when needed. It's not as bad as I make it seem, but I think you could improve upon it a bit with more spread out descriptive paragraphs.
That in mind, your story sets out and soundly accomplishes what it sets out to do; be a jovial little romp. The grammar is quite good, having no real flaws, and the style is consistently readable, if imperfect in my limited eyes. It is what it needs to be, and it's entertaining to boot. Hope I could be of service!

~IncoherentOrange

This was very well thought out and quite imaginative. Simple, short, and most entertaining. You show a level of skill that has me mildly jealous.

5705412 Why thank you. The more I look at the work, the less satisfied I am with it, but I'm glad this works.

5705457 like a few commentors have mentioned, this story could easily support being continued. But it also has the strength to stand on its own as a oneshot. I cannot see where you would be dissatisfied with your story. I feel you did an outstanding job writing it.

Quite the entertaining story you have here. It has been approved by The Good Fic Bin and the review can be found here

i.imgur.com/GizVyc0.png

5938383 Why thank you very much. I'm glad you liked it so much.

5938854 Not a problem :) I'll ask haphazred to move it to the main stories folder soon, since I can't move them

This is a wonderful story, and felt very in-character all around.

This was a fun little read. Did anything else end up springing from this concept?

That was a nice and fun little story to read. Imagine how it would be like if the two Celestias somehow met with each other again.

:trollestia: Hello, there, my twin. How was everything?

:trollestia: Oh, it was wonderful. People in Manehattan was amazed when I was strolling through their city. Fillydelphia more so.

:trollestia: What are you planning to do next?

:trollestia: How about a hug?

:trollestia: I was thinking the same thing. (hugs each other)

Well this was interesting. Would have been more fun if they had decided to just act like nothing was wrong and go about their day. She's something of a troll after all. :trollestia:

Part of me expected them to try to get a vacation out of it, honestly, lol.

I didn't get it. Where did she go, and what "sun" means?

Login or register to comment