• Published 24th Nov 2014
  • 1,905 Views, 99 Comments

All I Really Want For Hearths Warming... - Ugly-Duckling123



We get a little look at what a certain orange filly wants for Hearths Warming

  • ...
9
 99
 1,905

Chap 7

As Rainbow flew over to Fluttershy's she kept trying to think of a song that she could sing at the toy drive but still got no where.

As she neared, she thought she could hear Fluttershy singing sweetly as she was checking up on her hibernating animals.

Deck the halls with boughs of holly
Fa la la la la la la la la
Tis the season to be jolly
Fa la la la la la la la la

"Hey Fluttershy!" Rainbow called as she landed behind her.

"Oh," the shy Pegasus said bumping her head on the roof of a badger sett, in surprise.

"Oh. Hello Rainbow," she said smiling "Happy Hearths Warming."

"You too," Rainbow said "Err... out of curiosity can you think of any Hearths Warming songs that you think I can sing to a crowd of colts and fillies?"

"I can try," Fluttershy said "Why? That is if I can ask..."

"Mr. Crinkle has asked me to do some singing for the toy drive," Rainbow began explaining as the two went inside to get warm. "The problem is however, I can't think of anything."

Nodding in understanding after getting Rainbow something eat, Fluttershy went to her room and came back with her holiday songs book and went through it.

Letting Fluttershy find a song Rainbow began biting off a head off of a gingerbread pony.

"Any in particular you want Rainbow or is it just any Hearths Warming song?" Fluttershy asked sticking in some bookmarks before carrying on.

"Well Natty says they don't have to be Hearths Warming carols," Rainbow explained "Just that it would be better if they were."

After a few more minutes, questions and cookies later, Fluttershy made up a list of songs and gave it to Rainbow to see.

Frosty the Snow-colt
Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer
Show Me The Light (duet but can be done on own)
Santa Hooves Is Coming To Town
Let It Go

Fly To Your Heart
Let the Rainbow Remind You
Shine Your Way (duet)
Don't Wake Me Up

"That's all I can think of or found," Fluttershy said shuffling her hooves "Don't know if it will help though."

"Well it's given me some ideas," Rainbow said hugging her friend in thanks "Now I just need to pick what one to do. Oh why did I have to say I'll do this?"

"The Wonderbolts?" Fluttershy guessed hearing that they will also be in the show.

"Oh... Yeah," Rainbow said blushing a bit "What one do you thing I should do Flutters?"

"Well the ones I like best are Show Me The Light, Let It Go and Fly To Your Heart" Fluttershy said giving her choices "But if you don't like them then you can do something else... Maybe the others will help you decide better I mean not that you wont be able to do it yourself it's just..."

"I get it Shy," Rainbow said smiling at how Fluttershy worried was that she might of upset her friend because of her choice of songs. "But maybe I should go ask. See if they can narrow it down or something."

After another thank you, and a goodbye later Rainbow was going round to all her friends asking them on their opinions.

After seeing all of them, minus Twilight because she had already left for Canterlot, the list looked like this...

Frosty the Snow-colt I
Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer I
Show Me The Light (duet but can be done on own) III
Santa Hooves Is Coming To Town I
Let It Go IIII

Fly To Your Heart III
Let the Rainbow Remind You I
Shine Your Way (duet)
Don't Wake Me Up II

"Ok..." Rainbow said when she was home and rubbing her head free from a head ache this was giving her.
"So that narrows it down to... Show Me The Light, Let It Go and Fly To Your Heart"

Then remembering an old trick to pick things when they got hard like this Rainbow cut up the list and placed the songs in question on the darts board she had in her room, taking down the pictures of her old friend Gilda and Lightning Dust.

Then after picking up the darts and flying back to the other side of the room, Rainbow placed a blind fold over her eyes, took aim, and fired the dart.

For the rest of the day, Rainbow was practicing the song she would be singing after finding the music to make sure she knew the words.



Down in the orphanage, Scootaloo was helping Natty and Frostbite in the kitchens get dinner ready, when a thought came to her.

"Why don't we ever see Chris as often as normal around Hearths Warming?" she asked cutting out cookies that everyone would have for afters.

"Hearths Warming's a very busy time Scoots," Frostbite said as he turned the hay-frys over under the grill "Maybe he's just held up with what ever he does."

"But he helps out here," Scootaloo protested, "I mean he's Mr. Crinkles son, shouldn't he be here instead of where ever it is he is?"

"He might be in that workshop of his perfecting those toys he's always going on about," Natty said stirring the soup. "Or he might just be caught up with the toy drive preparations seeing we do it every year as well."

Not sure that this would get sorted out, Scootaloo said the next thing on her mind.

"I went to see Santa today Frostbite..." she said moving the cookies over to the baking trays "And he said one of the reasons why he hasn't given me my wish is because he has always thought I already had a family. But I don't think I understand. How could I of had a family already if I've been here all the time?"

"Don't you think of us as family Scoots?" Frostbite asked smiling.

"Not really," Scootaloo said pressing raisin eyes into the dough.

"Let me try," Natty said. "One of the first few nights when you were here, and a few more over the years, you've woken up in the night by terrible nightmares." she began "And one of us has always come in to you to calm you down and see if you were alright. On the first night just as you were falling back to sleep, and I was leaving, you called out 'Good night Mummy'." Natty said placing Scootaloo's cookies in the oven.

"That doesn't mean anything," Scootaloo said moving her stuff over to the sink.

"No, but you said the same thing for a month. And when you were upset, you went to Frostbite told him your problems and asked for advice.... Just like a little sister would do to a brother."

"So..."

"And finally even though you denied it the other day, I know for a fact you see all the kids as little brothers and sisters," Nat said putting out cutlery on the table "Especially Holly."

"Families are more than something you're born into Scootaloo," Chris's voice said behind the thinking foal as he came into the kitchen "They're also the friends you make, the ones who stand with you, ones who fight by your side. You know that you'll be there for them and they'll be there for you. No matter what. And the ones who will follow you into dangerous places, just to see if your alright."

~~*~~

All through dinner, Scootaloo went over in her head what Santa and the three helpers had said.

When she had got to bed, after brushing her teeth, and all that, as she cuddled up with her teddy she silently said to herself, If I don't get what I want this year, I'll stop trying. Cause they're right, I do already have a family.

As she was closing her eyes, her door opened a bit and a nervous looking Holly Leaf came in her blanket wrapped around her.

"Scoots?" she asked in a whisper getting closer. "Scootaloo? You awake?"

"Yeah, but I hadn't gone to sleep yet, so no need to be nervous." Scootaloo said happily "That dream again?"

"Ah huh," Holly said crawling under the covers with the orange filly "But this time I... I was in my brothers place, and... And..." she said struggling to explain why she had come here.

"And that meant it was you who got under the ice." Scoot said understanding, getting a nod from Holly tears falling down her face.

"Ok..." Scootaloo said thinking "I'm not much of a singer, but would a lullaby help?"

"No," Holly said snuggling into Scootaloo more. "I think just being here with you would make things better."

"Goodnight Holly," Scootaloo said closing her eyes and laying one of her wings over the other filly, falling asleep.

"Night big sis," Holly said yawning and falling asleep herself.