• Published 24th Nov 2014
  • 1,905 Views, 99 Comments

All I Really Want For Hearths Warming... - Ugly-Duckling123



We get a little look at what a certain orange filly wants for Hearths Warming

  • ...
9
 99
 1,905

Chap 6

After a few hours of being out in the snow, waiting for something to happen, Scootaloo had gotten bored and decided to head off to the library to see what there was to read and to get a bit warmer.

When she got there she saw Twilight and Spike coming down the stairs with back packs, while Twilight was hovering a scroll and quill in her magic writing on it.

"Going somewhere Twilight?" Scootaloo asked staying by the door so she didn't get in the way.

"You could say that dear," Twilight said smiling "We're going up to Canterlot to spend Hearths Warming with my parents. We were just about to leave, as a matter of fact. But if you need anything we'll be happy to help."

"No, it's ok," Scootaloo said smacking a smile onto her lips "It can wait until after Hearths Warming. Say 'Happy Holidays' to your parents for me please. Bye." she said and left, deciding to go to Sugarcube Corner since it was around lunch time.

Inside the gingerbread house sweet shop and cafe, there were a few ponies buying gingerbread ponies, from across the counter from a cheerful (as always) Pinkie Pie, and there were others who were watching over their kids in the shops new play area built in when Pound and Pumpkin, the Cakes fraternal twin son and daughter had arrived.

Having mixed feelings but having her tummy say to stay, Scootaloo went over to a free table and waited patiently for Mrs Cake to come take her order.

While she was waiting, Scootaloo's thoughts turned back to yesterday morning up on the cliff with Rainbow. In truth she was embarrassed that she had called her 'mum'. But only because she saw her as a big sister instead. Getting the thought of writing a Hearths Warming list after all she wondered if she or Santa would still have time to get it done.

Just as Mrs Cake was coming over, Scootaloo got down from her seat and rushed outside and down the street.

"I wonder what that was all about?" Mrs Cake said out loud as she went back to the counter with Pinkie.

"Only the Author knows Mrs Cake," Pinkie Pie said grinning as she handed over the next box to the pony in front of her.

"The Author?" Cup Cake asked confused and slightly worried that Pinkie wasn't making any scene.

"Yeah you know," Pinkie said putting her newest order into a 'to-go' bag and held out her hoof for the money "The one who's writing down everything we do and say. Like that," Pinkie said cheerfully "And that. And that. And that. And..."

"I get the point dear," Cup Cake said taking a sip of her tea to try and take the pain of Hearths Warming away from her.


At the orphanage, Natty was just on her way out to the post office with the other foals wish lists as Scootaloo came up panting like she had just ran a marathon.

"Natty... Wait... Please..." she huffed making Nat turn around surprised.

"What's wrong Scootaloo?" she asked getting to the ground to see if she was alright.

"Is... Is it too late to make a Hearths Warming list to Santa?" Scootaloo asked looking down to her hooves. "Cause I think I know why all my other ones hadn't worked... I wasn't being specific enough with what I wanted. I said what I would like, but I didn't tell him who I wanted to be my family. Now that I know who I want to be with... Can I give it one more try?"

"Of course Scoots," Nat said going back up the stairs and holding the door open for the filly smiling. "Come on I'll help you with it."

After a about half an hour, and many crumpled up pieces of failed wish lists on the floor later, Scootaloo bounced happily along with Nat to the post office carrying her letter in a tight grip with her wing making sure she didn't lose it.

But when they got there...

"Closed?" Scootaloo asked looking at the sign in the Post office's window as Ditzy Doo came out with the keys.

"Yep," she said smiling "Just finished my last run of the year."

"But... But I need to get this to Santa," Scootaloo said pulling out her letter as Nat came up with her and showing the others as well.

"Sorry Scootaloo," Ditzy said playing with her wings a bit, not wanting to look into the hurt filly's eyes. "But by the time I would get them to the North Pole, he would already be on his way here."

"So you're not even going to try?" Scootaloo asked lowering her letter as tears that were building up her eyes.

"I can try," she said trying not to upset the filly even more "But I know for a fact I wont be fast enough. Besides you can just leave it out for him on Hearths Warming Eve. Right."

Not giving an answer, Scootaloo ripped her letter in half and ran in the opposite direction as fast as she could blocking her ears to Nat's calls not knowing where her hooves would lead her.

Suddenly warmth over came her, and Hearths Warming music rang in her ears.

Looking around, Scootaloo saw she was in the toy store with that Santa's village she had been taking the kids to.

"That's it," she said and rushed to the back of the store and got in line to see him to give him her wish in person, and even if he wasn't Santa, he would be able to pass the message on seeing he's said to be 'One of his helpers'.

After ten minutes of waiting in line and trying to get the tear streaks from her face, Scootaloo had finally entered the tunnel to Santa's village and set out to find him.


'It's Hearths Warming Town
It's Hearths Warming Town
We're up here in the North
Making toys for you until December 24th

We're the elves of Hearths Warming Town
We fill up Santa's sleigh
Making sure that everyone
Has toys on Hearths Warming Day

Making sure that everyone
Has toys on Hearths Warming Day'

The song went on as Scootaloo slowly went though the village, eyes full of wonder never remembering this from all the years she had come here before.

Along each side there were pony robot elves making, wrapping and placing presents into sacks.

'Tap, tap tap the hammer
Ring and ring the bell
With lots and noise and clammier
For Santa's pry and tell

A talking doll that dances
A puppet that has strings
A rocking horse that prances
A music box that sings...

Oohhh...

'It's Hearths Warming Town
It's Hearths Warming Town
We're up here in the North
Making toys for you until December 24th

We're the elves of Hearths Warming Town
We fill up Santa's sleigh
Making sure that everyone
Has toys on Hearths Warming Day

Making sure that everyone
Has toys on Hearths Warming Day'

The next section showed a train with it's bell ringing every now and then, it's carriages full of already wrapped presents on one side while the other held the elves testing the gifts mentioned in the song.

'Pick pick pick the candy
Pack pack pack the train
Us elves are pretty handy
With a car a boat or plane

We got the list and counting
And checking everything
And though it all surrounded
No two will be the same

Oh

It's Hearths Warming Town
It's Hearths Warming Town
We're up here in the North
Making toys for you until December 24th

We're the elves of Hearths Warming Town
We fill up Santa's sleigh
Making sure that everyone
Has toys on Hearths Warming Day'

Making sure that everyone
Has toys on Hearths Warming Day'

The last part of the tunnel showed the elf ponies picking candy canes from trees and filling the train carriage, others on fork lifts with piles of ready-wrapped gifts, and finally a group of four polishing Santa's sleigh so it shone the brightest red that Scootaloo had ever seen.

At last she was at the curtain that separated her and Santa. The curtain that that blocked her way to a happy Hearths Warming and a miserable one.

Taking some deep breaths trying to calm herself and get in her head what she wanted for the holiday, Scootaloo pulled it back and went up to him.

"Ah... Scootaloo," the stallion in the chair, in the red suit said happily holding out his arms to welcome her. "I was wondering when you would come see me."

"You know who I am?" Scootaloo asked mentally hitting herself for the stupid question 'Of course he knows who I am,' she said 'He's Santa, he knows everyone.'

Heaving Scootaloo up onto his knee, Santa Hooves looked down to the filly. "Now I have a feeling you didn't just come here to say 'Hi' did you? So tell me what do you want for Hearths Warming?"

"Well... For the past seven years, I've only wanted a family for Hearths Warming," she began explaining "I'm an orphan you see so I only wanted to know what it would feel like to have one. But you never gave me one.

"I was not going to try this year, but then Rainbow Dash spent the night with me on top of the cliff over Ponyville and that got me thinking.
And I think I know why you haven't been able to get me what I wish for... It was because I didn't say who I wanted in my family. So I went to post my letter to you but the post office was closed so I came here instead to ask...

"To say, 'For Hearths Warming this year, I would like to have Rainbow Dash, the coolest bestest awesomest pony ever to be my new big sister.'
Please." she finished tapping her hooves together not looking into Santa's eyes.

"Well," he said thoughtfully "That's a very specific and well thought out wish there Scootaloo. But you do know what a family is right?" he asked a twinkle in his eyes.

"Yeah, there ponies who look after you, and love you, and care for you, and play with you." Scootaloo said off the top of her head.

"And I have a feeling you may of had a family all along in that orphanage of yours." Santa said smiling. "That is another reason why I didn't grant you your wish Scootaloo, because in my eyes you already had it."

Cocking her head to the side thinking this over, Scootaloo's thoughts were interrupted when someone called her name.

"There you are Scootaloo," the voice said making the two ponies look up to see a worried looking Nat and Rainbow Dash.

After Santa had put her back down, she immediately ran over to the two mares.

"Squirt you should know not to run off like that," Rainbow said almost like a caring big sister would.

"I'm sorry Rainbow," Scootaloo said pulling away "I'm sorry Natty. I was just upset that... that I couldn't get my list posted."

"We understand Scoots," Nat said hugging the filly then looked up to Santa who held a 'From Santa' gift in his magical grip out to Scootaloo. "Sorry if she was a bother Santa, and thank you for looking after her.

"Your welcome Natty," he said smiling warmly.

"And good luck with your quest in the toy drive Rainbow Dash," he said turning to the rainbow maned pony.

"How do you know about that?" she asked.

"I'm Santa aren't I dear?" he said chuckling "I know almost everything about everypony."

"So you know everything about Twilight?"

"Yes,"

"Rairty?"

"Yes,"

"AJ?"

"Yes,"

Fluttershy?"

"Yes,"

"Every tiny little thing about Pinkie Pie?"

"Ok no, but I did say 'I know almost everything'." he answered smiling.

"Well either way thanks again for looking after Scoots Santa," Natty said as the three left and each returned outside the shop and into town.

~~*~~

"What did Santa mean by 'Good luck with the toy drive' Rainbow?" Scootaloo asked on top of the older Pegasus's back shaking the present trying to guess what was inside, picking at the paper slightly.

"Mr. Crinkle sort of talked me into doing some singing for it."

"I'll remember to find everypony ear-plugs then," the filly said grinning nearly being thrown off as Rainbow jumped at that remark trying to make her pay for it.

"You didn't seem to mind it yesterday morning." she said now laughing along with Scootaloo and Nat.

"I was asleep remember," the filly protested "Besides that... That was always the song my mum use to sing when I got scared, or upset... It was the song that made me better, not the pony singing it."

"So decided what you'll be singing for the drive Rainbow?" Nat asked trying to put some happiness back into the pot and not cause an awkward moment.

"So... I get to pick any song I want right?" Rainbow said thinking.

"As long as you can sing it and give us the music to it if we don't have it." Nat explained as they entered the front door of the orphanage so the mares could continue their conversation.

"And they don't have to be Hearths Warming ones do they?" Rainbow asked.

"They don't have to be," Nat answered handing Rainbow a mug of hot chocolate before sitting down too, Scootaloo was in her room going over what Santa had told her about her already having a family. "But it would be more appreciated. And they can't be rude. This is a toy drive for colts and fillies remember." she warned.

Thinking hard, Rainbow thought of all the songs she knew, going through those she learnt from school, to those her mother use to sing to her, to all of Vinyl's records, completing with all the Hearths Warming songs she could think of off the top of her head.

'Maybe Fluttershy can think of one,' she thought when nothing came at all. Thanking Natty for the hot chocolate Rainbow went to say good bye to Scootaloo and went off to see her friend.

Author's Note:

Ok not sure if I have it all right, or if you will hear different words than I did when you listen to where I got it from
Christmas Town - Rudolph the Rad Nosed Reindeer the Movie (1998)

PS need help thinking of a song Rainbow can sing for the toy drive...
If you have any ideas, PM me ASAP please :twilightsmile: