• Published 28th Oct 2014
  • 697 Views, 13 Comments

Of Mice and Mares - TyHunter



Applejack and Fluttershy have been together for as long as they can remember. Together, they are nomads, moving from place to place, hoping to finally find what they're looking for. The sad reality is; the world in an unfair place.

  • ...
4
 13
 697

Chapter 4

Cook, the Unicorn stable keeper, had his bunk in a small room off to the side of where the bears used to be kept. A small dorm that protruded from the side of the barn. On one side of the room there was small window, and on the other, a thin wooden door that led to the inside of the barn. Cook's bunk was just a long box filled with straw, on which a thin blanket was flung. On the wall by the window there were pegs on which hung aprons, goggles and lots of other trade equipment. Under the window, sat a small work bench with lots of little vials and tubes, filled with numerous substances. Scattered across the floor were lots of clothes and books. Since Cook lived alone in his small room, he was free to do what he pleased with his possessions.

The books that Cook owned were ones you would expect any young Unicorn to own. "A Guide to the Aether", "Magick for Fillies", and "Potions, Potions, Potions" being some of the more well-known titles. Cook read these books in all the free time he had. They were beat up, dented, and scratched, from the amount of times he had threw them, or slammed them into walls out of fits of frustration. He'd even gotten so mad once, he'd shot one with his rifle.

Cook wasn't like normal Unicorns. His magic was inept. He couldn't cast spells, make potions, or even hold things with telepathy. He was born in Canterlot. His mother was an Astronomer, and his father, part of Equestria's Royal Guard. When he was little, his magic never seemed to present itself, as it did with most fillies his age, but his mother brushed it aside. She decided after a few years to sign Cook up for magic school. The first weeks for him were hard. He didn't understand the material, and didn't find the connection with his horn that the other Unicorns had spoke of. He didn't feel it or anything, it was as if it wasn't there at all. When the higher-ups at the school had realized Cook was incapable of performing magic, they kicked him out. His mother and father, being the perfectionists they were, decided that having a crippled Unicorn was not okay. He would never fit in. And so they put him out, at only eight years of age. Cook wandered the Canterlot Countryside for a while, and made a few friends. After about a year, he had a nice house, and plenty of friends.

One clear afternoon, as he awoke and looked out his window, a large black cloud filled the sky. Changelings. Thousands of them, coming from the North, and headed for Canterlot. Small patches of them began flying down towards his village, and not long after, the screaming started. He left with nothing, fleeing into the woods just as the Changelings started setting fire to the first of the houses.

He wandered for a few more months, before coming upon this carrot farm. When he decided to work here, it had a different owner. One who didn't only care about money, but about seeing ponies happy with her products. He worked happily on this farm for seven years before Filthy Rich bought the place, and made him the stable buck. Four years later, here he his, still doing the same thing, with a crippled horn that sat atop his head as a constant reminder of how cruel the world was.
His mane was dusty black, and his coat grey. On his flank was a flame.

It was a warm Friday night. Through the open door that led into the barn came the rattle of a chain that connected the only bear left to it's pen. Every once in a while, he would let out a low growl, but he knew it was of no use. Inside of the room, a small lamp produced light, that shone out of the doorway and into the barn.
Cook sat on his bunk, a book to his right, as if he were deciding whether he should begin his futile attempt at magic again, or give up all together. He looked down, and blinked slowly. His hair came down over his forhead, and made a curtain, making his eyes invisible from the outside. He exhaled a deep breath and looked towards the ceiling.
Noiselessly, Fluttershy appeared in the doorway and stood there looking in. She looked around shyly. For a moment, Cook didn't even see the small pegasus, but upon looking down, he narrowed his eyes and a scowl spread across his face.

Fluttershy smiled helplessly.
Cook said sharply, "You have no right being in here. This is my room."

Fluttershy took offense at the words, her smile fading. "I wasn't doing anything." She said, "I just came to see the rabbits for a bit. But they all fell asleep, and I saw your light."
"Is it wrong for me to have a light?"

"Well, um, no.."

"Well go on then. If I ain't wanted in the bunkhouses, then you ain't wanted here."

"Why aren't you wanted in the bunkhouses?" Fluttershy asked curiously.

"Cause I'm a Unicorn, can't you see? They all think I'm too uppity to be with 'em, or too stupid, because I can't do anything Unicorns can do."

"Oh, well, I don't care about any of that. I just saw your light and thought you might need a friend. Everypony else went to the bar."

Cook stared at Fluttershy, cocked his head, and started again, "What are ya doin' in the barn anyways? You ain't a bear keeper or nothin'. There's no reason for you to come in here at all."

"The bunnies." She said happily, "I came to see the bunnies."

"Well, then, go see the damned bunnies. Don't just come wanderin' in here."

Fluttershy's smile was gone. She looked helplessly around the room again, and backed through the door a little. "I played with them a little. But, they all got tired and fell asleep. I didn't want to wake them."

Cook said, "Well, you wake 'em up any other time. I wonder why they haven't got tired of you yet."

"I don't think they care, they always seem happy to see me." Fluttershy inched another hoof back into the doorway.

Cook scowled a bit, but Fluttershy's disarming smile defeated him. "Come on in and sit down. Long as you won't leave me alone, you might as well sit." His tone was a bit more friendly. "All the mares go to the bar, then?"

"All but Cloudchaser. She's still sad about poor Winona." Fluttershy frowned at the thought of the old dog, and she stifled a tear.

Cook cocked his head a bit, "What happened to Winona?"

"She got sick, and she... she...-" Fluttershy couldn't finish the sentence.

"Oh." Cook said, understanding what she was trying to say.

Fluttershy didn't speak.

"You're travelin' with that new farm pony, aren't ya? I think her name's Applejack?"

Fluttershy forgot about Winona at the sound of her friend's name. "Yeah, that's my friend."

"Friend. I used to have friends. Used to have a lot of 'em. Now I ain't got nothin'. Not single Unicorn this far South. If I say somethin' or do somethin', why it's just a Uni doin' it."
"How long do you think it'll be before the bunnies wake back up?"

Cook laughed. "Ponies can talk to you and be sure you won't go blabbin'. About an hour or so and I say those rabbits should be well rested. Applejack knows what she's about, keepin' you around. Just talks and you don't take in anything." He leaned forward excitedly, "This isn't anything but a Uni talking, and a limp-horned Uni at that. So it doesn't mean anything. You wouldn't remember anyways." His excitement had increased until he was closer to Fluttershy, not far from her face.

His voice grew very cunning and persuasive. "Suppose Applejack doesn't come back. Suppose she took some cider, and just ain't never comin' back. What'll you do then?"

Fluttershy snapped her head back up from the ground, and gradually caught hold of what the Unicorn had told her. "What?" She asked.

"I said suppose Applejack goes out tonight and never comes back." Cook seemed to be enjoying this. "Just suppose that." He repeated.

"She wouldn't do that," Fluttershy said. "Applejack would never forget about me. We're best friends. She'll come back tonight, just like she said..." She looked down again, a hint of worry on her face. "She will, won't she?"

Cook's face lit up with the pleasure in his torture. "Nopony knows what another pony'll do." He said calmly. "What if she wants to come back, but she can't. Suppose she get's killed, or hurt so she can't come back."

Fluttershy grew more worried about Applejack, and more livid at Cook. "AJ would NEVER do anything like that." She repeated. "She's a careful pony. She's never been hurt. She won't now, because she's careful."

"Well, just suppose, just suppose she never comes back. Then what?"

Fluttershy's face wrinkled with apprehension. "I don't know. Why?" She cried. "That's not true. Applejack's not hurt."

"You couldn't do nothin' about it. That's what."

Suddenly, Fluttershy stood up from her seat, and took a few careful steps toward Cook. Her eyes were centered on him angrily. "Why are you saying these hurtful things?" Fluttershy demanded. "Where's Applejack?"

Her stare bore into him, as if judging beyond what he knew. Looking at his deepest fears, and surfacing them. Thoughts of his parents and his childhood flooded his mind, and he struggled to fight back tears. She continued to gaze, and he searched for words to speak, but found none. Finally, after a few quiet moments, he spoke. "No, no I'm speaking , metaphorically Fluttershy. Applejack isn't hurt, don't worry. She's alright."

"Why were you thinking about that? Nopony is going to hurt my friend." She lightened her glare, but Cook could still feel it scouring him. He looked left and right, and wiped his forehead with his hoof.

"Just sit back down, Fluttershy. Applejack isn't hurt. Nopony is going to hurt her."

Fluttershy thought for a minute, and sat back down. She took her eyes off Cook, which suddenly flooded him with relief.

"Maybe you can understand now. You got somepony. Somepony to be there for you. You know Applejack will come back. But, just imagine if you didn't have her. Imagine you were a broken, crippled Unicorn with nowhere to go and no friends. I didn't mean to scare you. Applejack will be back."

"She will." Fluttershy reassured herself. "We're going to be getting some bunnies soon."

"Bunnies? For what?"

"For our farm. We're gonna get some land, and Applejack said I can tend the rabbits."

"You're nuts."

"No, really! We are."

"I seen plenty of ponies come and go with that same story. Everypony wants a piece of land for themselves, but it's all just a dream. You all got the same dream. And every one of you is crazy."

Just then, a voice came from outside the door. "You in there, Cook?"

"Shush, you gonna wake up the bear." Cook called back out.

Then, a pony came to the door. It was Cloudchaser. "You seen Fluttershy anywhere?"

"The other pegasus? Yeah, she's in here with me."

Cloudchaser stood in the doorway, looking blindly around the lit room. "Ya' might wanna come back to the bunk, Fluttershy. I don't know if Cook is too comfortable with you in here."

"She's fine." Cook said. "You can come in. Might as well, if everyone's coming in." Cook found it hard to hide his pleasure with anger.

Cloudchaser stepped in embarrassingly. "Cozy little place you got here Cook. Must be nice havin' a whole place to yourself."

"Sure." Said Cook, "I love bein' all alone all the time."

Fluttershy started to speak after Cook, "What did you need me for, Cloudchaser?"

"I was just comin' to make sure you wasn't annoyin' the rabbits is all. You seem to have found someone else to annoy, though." Cloudchaser chuckled. She leaned against an old wooden wall in the room.

"Oh, me and Cook were just talkin' about how AJ and I are going to be getting a farm soon, and we're going to have lot's of bunnies!"

Cook chuckled sarcastically. "There ain't no way that's gonna happen. Been here too long to know how it's gonna turn out."

"Now, you don't know Fluttershy and Applejack. Applejack seems like the type of mare that get's somethin' done if she puts her mind to it. Just you watch, they'll get their farm." Cloudchaser replied.

"And where is Applejack now? Throwin' her money away on cider and dances at the bar."

Fluttershy grew irritated with Cook's negativity, but before she could reply a voice came from the open doorway.

"Any of you foals seen Diamond Tiara?"

All at once, they snapped their heads toward the door. Looking in was a small filly, with a grey coat and glasses. Her mane was grey, with a white streak, and on her rear end was a spoon. She breathed strongly, as though she had been running.

"She ain't been here." Cloudchaser said sourly.

The filly stood still in the doorway, smiling. She looked back and forth between them, her eyes traveling from one face to the next. "So they left all the low-lifes here?" She said finally. "Earth Pony night out huh? You misfits weren't invited." She smirked.

"Then why come here startin' trouble if you know where she is?" Cloudchaser said.

"Who's this?" The filly asked, avoiding the question and taking a step toward Fluttershy. "Another pegasus? I didn't even notice we got another one. Never expected a pegasus to show their face around here, since what happened to the last one."

After a pause Cook said, "Maybe you better just go home, Silver Spoon. We don't want any trouble."

"I'm not giving anypony trouble. I was just looking for Diamond Tiara. You think I like staying inside all the time?"

"We don't want you scarin' Fluttershy here either. It don't matter that she's a pegasus, she's not like others."

Cloudchaser broke in, "Yeah, you let her alone. Or I'm gonna tell Applejack. Applejack won't have you messin' with Fluttershy."

"Who's Applejack?" The filly asked, "That orange pony she came with?"

Fluttershy smiled happily. "That's her." She said, "And she's gonna let me tend the rabbits."

"Tend the rabbits?" Silver Spoon replied, "What's wrong with you?"

Cook stood up from his bed and faced her. "I've had enough." He said coldly. "You have no right comin' into a Uni's room and disrespecting his friends. Now, it's time you just get out. Just get out and go home. If you don't, I'm gonna tell Mr. Rich not to let you in the barn any more."

She turned back on him, her eyes fueled with rage. "Listen, Uni." She said "You know what I can do to you if you don't shut up?"

Cook stared hopelessly at her, and then sat back down on his bed.

She took a step torward him. "You know what I could do?"

Cook seemed to grow smaller. "Yes, ma'am."

"Well you keep your place then, Uni. I could get that horn cut off your head so fast it isn't even funny."

Cook had reduced himself to nothing. He had no personality, no ego. He replied, "Yes, ma'am." and his voice was toneless.

For a moment, she stood staring at him. The small filly looked up at him, as if wating for him to move so she could threaten him more. But, Cook sat completely still, his eyes looking toward the wall. She finally turned toward the other two ponies.

"If you did that, we'd tell." Cloudchaser said toward her. "We'd tell about you framin' Cook."

"Tell? Ha!" She scoffed, "As if anypony would listen to a bunch of stupid pegasi. You two are lucky we haven't sent you to the Rainbow Factory by now!"

Fluttershy's eyes widened. "AJ said there's no such thing as the Rainbow Factory!" She looked frightened.

Cloudchaser stepped a bit toward Fluttershy, "There's not Fluttershy. Don't worry, she's trying to scare you." She comforted.

"Hmph." Silver Spoon scoffed again.

"You better get lost before Filthy Rich finds you here and don't let you back over. I just heard the others comin' in." Cloudchaser said.

"Yeah, I bet you didn't hear a thing."

"Well, better safe than sorry. You better leave."

"Hmph." Silver Spoon replied. She turned to the door, looked around the edge and slipped out quietly. The chains holding the bear rattled as she scampered by.

"Is Applejack really back?" Asked Fluttershy quietly as soon as she was sure Silver Spoon was gone.

"Sure, I heard the gate open."

Cook seemed slowly to come out of his layers of protection. "I didn't hear anything." He said.

Quiet filled the room for a bit, as they waited to see if they could hear the others.

"I'm not sure I want you two in here anymore." Cook paused.

"That little filly shouldn't have said that stuff to you Cook." Cloudchaser said.

"I know, but I know my place. Just, plea-" He was cut off by a voice from outside the barn.

"Fluttershy! Oh, Flutters! Flutters, you in there?"

"That's Applejack! AJ, AJ, I'm in here!" Fluttershy said excitedly.

In a second, Applejack appeared in Cook's doorway, and looked around disapprovingly. "Why you in here botherin' Cook?"

"I told them at first. But it's alright, Fluttershy is a nice gal." Cook said.

Applejack nodded her head, "Well, come on Fluttershy. You got no business bein' in here."

Cloudchaser walked out the door first, and Fluttershy began to follow. Cook called, "Fluttershy!"

"Yes?" Fluttershy turned back.

"I hope you and Applejack fulfill your dreams." He paused again. "Maybe you guys aren't so crazy afterwards."

Fluttershy smiled at him, and turned to walk out the door. As they walked by the bear again, it turned about in it's slumber. This was the first time she had gotten a good look at the bear, and she found it as one of the cutest things she'd ever seen. It's chains rattled, and she stopped. Suddenly, a voice broke her from her amazement. "Flutters! Come on!"

Fluttershy turned quick, but shot a backwards glance towards the bear one last time as she walked out the barn. She smiled a small smile, and a gleam sparkled in her eyes.

Comments ( 4 )

Ohhhh, that's clever. That is so clever. Amazing! Best story I've read this year.... (and I've read a lot!) I loved the Rainbow Factory thing! :rainbowkiss:

I don't know if you have something going on right now but... I really love this story, like love love. it's amazing and i'd like you to know that it's by far one of the best stories I have ever read... Good luck! :raritywink:

Ah fuck. I know how this is ending...

Cook, the Unicorn stable keeper, had his bunk in a small room off to the side of where the bears used to be kept. A small dorm that protruded from the side of the barn. On one side of the room there was small window, and on the other, a thin wooden door that led to the inside of the barn. Cook's bunk was just a long box filled with straw, on which a thin blanket was flung. On the wall by the window there were pegs on which hung aprons, goggles and lots of other trade equipment. Under the window, sat a small work bench with lots of little vials and tubes, filled with numerous substances. Scattered across the floor were lots of clothes and books. Since Cook lived alone in his small room, he was free to do what he pleased with his possessions.

Didn't expect you to adapt Crooks...

Login or register to comment