• Published 28th Oct 2014
  • 697 Views, 13 Comments

Of Mice and Mares - TyHunter



Applejack and Fluttershy have been together for as long as they can remember. Together, they are nomads, moving from place to place, hoping to finally find what they're looking for. The sad reality is; the world in an unfair place.

  • ...
4
 13
 697

Chapter 2

The carrot farm was a serene place. It smelled of sweet fruit and herbs, and carrots, of course. There were rows upon rows of rolling carrots planted across hills and plains, as far as anypony could see. The green stems stuck out of the ground and danced together harmonously in the wind. The sky was bright, blue, and clear of any sign of bad weather. The pegasi had done a beautiful job. In the middle of the fields sat a large, red ranch. It looked as if it had just been repainted. Even the fence surrounding it was as stark white as the purest cotton. On the side of the farmhouse sat a towering silo and a few bunkhouses. The bunk houses were red, just like the rest of the ranch, but looked as if some of the paint had peeled, showing the wood underneath.

It was midday, and the ponies that usually tended to the carrots were taking a break, playing cards in the largest of four bunkhouses. They sat on overturned crates and played on a low table. Some had cups of cider in hoof, while others were nibbling on carrots. One had a cigar, and blew the smoke up in the air lazily. They all turned towards the door as they heard hoofsteps outside, and the door opened. A large grey stallion walked in. He had a brown mane with a blonde streak, and a dollar sign on his flank. Behind him came Applejack, and behind Applejack, Fluttershy.

"Now, if I knew you and your mate had been coming Applejack, I would have found a more sutiable place for you guys to sleep." The grey earth pony said sarcastically.

"Yeah, and if ah' would've known that you took over this here farm, ah' wouldn't have showed up in the first place, Filthy Rich." Applejack spat back.

"Now now, I'm giving you shelter. A place to sleep, rest your head. I'm providing you with work and paying you accordingly. I think I deserve a little more respect than that."

Applejack looked away from Filthy Rich, disgusted. But, she couldn't argue.

"I'm glad you agree. Now, you two can have those bunks against the wall."

Filthy Rich pointed to a bunk bed against the far right of the small cabin. It was old and withered, looking as if it wouldn't even be able to support their weight.
Applejack stood there for a moment, before Fluttershy brushed passed her and walked next to the bottom bunk. She set her hat down on it and the sat herself there. She looked down at the mattress, inspecting it, and rubbed her hoof along the edge. She then looked toward Applejack and smiled. Applejack looked toward the other ponies in the room, who seemed to pay more attention to their game, as if this kind of thing happened daily.

Filthy Rich turned to leave. As he opened the door, he looked back at Applejack.

"If you learn to be as optimistic as your friend, you might make it places, sweetheart."

Applejack shook her head in annoyance as she walked toward her bunk. She walked slowly up the few stairs that led to the top mattress. They groaned loudly as she did, but she continued until she was on her bed. It felt a lot more stable than it looked. The mattress was suprisingly clean for how many workers were here. She took her hat off, laid on her back and put it over her face, closing her eyes.

"Sorry about Filthy, I know he can be quite a prick sometimes." One of the ponies playing cards said. She didn't look at Applejack, she was still facing her game.

Applejack looked out from under her hat at the pony who spoke up. She turned sideways and sat up, letting her hooves dangle over the side of the bunk, over Fluttershy's. She put her hat back on her head.

"You ain't the only one that finds him obnoxious. We all do. Especially the Uni' he bosses around all day. Makes him tend the bears."

The pony speaking turned around to face Applejack. She had a lavender coat, and light blue hair with white streaks that ran down it, but was dirtied with soot and soil. Her wings were tucked against her back. Matter of fact, she was the only other pegasus in the room, save Fluttershy.

"Bear tenders a Uni', eh? What do they need bears for anyways?"

"Filthy use to keep them in a stable. Then they all broke out and ran to the Everfree. He only's caught one since, and he keeps it chained up in the same stable. Says he uses it to pull the plows."

"Why doesn't he just get ponies to pull the plows? Hell, ah've pulled plenty o' plows in my lifetime."

"Oh, but these are big plows. They gotta go across the whole carrot farm. And ain't no pony as strong as a bear could be."

"Ah guess yer' right. Makes sense."

"Names Cloudchaser. I heard Filthy call you Applejack, is that right?"

"Yep."

"And what about yer' friend? She doesn't seem to be much of a talker now, is she?"

At this point, all the other ponies in the room were listening to the conversation. The cards had been set down, and all eyes were now on Fluttershy. The cigar was still lit, and the pony holding it blew more smoke in the air, but kept her eyes locked on Fluttershy.

After a moment, Applejack spoke up.

"That's Fluttershy. Yeah, she don't talk much, but she's a hell of a good friend, and a hard worker."

The pony with the cigar spoke up.

"Where ya'll from?"

She had a poofy orange mane and yellow fur. Her eyes were a brilliant, bright green. She was the only pony who hadn't been playing cards a few minutes before.

"Ponyville." Applejack replied, "Been working in Sweet Apple Orchard, just til' recently."

"You from the same place, Fluttershy?"

"Yeah she's from the same place."

The yellow pony narrowed her eyes. "I wasn't asking you. What're you trying to pull here?"

"Pull? Whaddya' mean?" Applejack asked.

"You taking this mares bits or something? Bullyin' her?"

"What? No! She's ma' friend. I'd never do nothin' like that!"

The pony took another puff of her cigar, and then puckered her lips, as if assessing what Applejack had said.

"Why'd ya'll leave Ponyville?" She asked Applejack.

"Just.. Job was done, ah' guess."

"Job was done? Well what job was ya' doin'?"

"We were... gettin' rid of some fruit bats. After they were gone they didn't need us anymore."

"Alright. But I've got my eye on you. Don't try pullin' anything stupid."

Cloudchaser looked at Fluttershy.

"Why don't you guys come out with us when we go to tend the carrots. I think that's what Filthy wanted you to do anyways."

Applejack looked at Fluttershy, and Fluttershy looked back at Applejack. Fluttershy was scared, and one of her hooves trembled with slightest bit of nervousness. Then, Applejack looked back toward Cloudchase and nodded.

"Good. Probably be leaving here in about ten minutes. We'll show you what to do."

All but the yellow pony nodded in agreement.

Ten minutes flew quick and the ponies who knew what they were doing walked out the door promptly, leaving Cloudchaser behind with Applejack and Fluttershy.

"Let me bring ma' dog in, and we can be on our way."

Cloudchaser walked out the bunkhouse, and turned right.

Fluttershy looked toward Applejack in excitement.

"Oh, Applejack, she has a dog! Do you think she'll let me pet it?"

"Don't be goin' annoyin' these ponies already, Fluttershy. Give it some time."

"But, it's just a dog, Applejack. I'm not going to hurt it.."

"I said no! Wait until we know them a little better."

Fluttershy looked down at her hooves, just as Cloudchaser stepped back in. She had an old brown and white dog on a leash. It trudged lazily behind her, struggling to even stand. When it finally made it's way to Cloudchaser's bed, the dog laid down slowly, and shut it's eyes.

"That's a hell of an old dog." Applejack said.

"Yeah, her names Winona. Had her for 15 years now."

Fluttershy smiled.

At that moment, a small Earth Pony, barely larger than a filly stepped in the door. She was thin and pink, with a white and pink mane. She had a crown on top of her head and she looked around hastily.

"Have any of you seen my dad?"

"Haven't seen him since a while ago." Clouchaser spoke up, "He's probably in the ranch now."

She glanced over the new mares, but her eyes stood glued on Fluttershy. Her expression slowly turned into one of hatred, and she scowled.

"We don't need another pegasus. We've already got to deal with one feathered freak."

Fluttershy looked away and shut her eyes tight, Cloudchaser looked down at her dog.

"We're here to work." Applejack said.

"I didn't ask you what you're here for. I know what you're here for. I'm telling you that we don't need no more of her kind."

They all stood there in the bunkhouse awkwardly, not knowing what to say to one another. The filly looked back and forth between them for a few seconds before turning to leave.

"My father will hear about this!" She screamed back at them.

Applejack looked over slowly at Cloudchaser, bewildered.

"How is a little filly like that so rude to somepony else?" She asked.

"Well, now, let me tell you. That's Filthy's daughter, Diamond Tiara."

"Yeah, well, what's she got against Fluttershy?"

Fluttershy cowered a bit after hearing her name.

"See, Diamond Tiara's grown up around Earth Ponies all her life. She hates ya' if you ain't one. Reckon she's jealous I guess."

Applejack didn't know what to say.

"Grown up with a silver spoon is all." Cloudchase added.

"Silver spoon, huh?"

"Literally." Cloudchaser said. "You don't know the half of it."

Then, Filthy Rich walked back in the bunkhouse, his eyes also seeking.

"Have any of you seen Diamond Tiara? I can't find her anywhere."

"She was just here a second ago." Cloudchase answered. "Went off lookin' for you."

"Ah, alright then."

Then, Filthy Rich started to walk back out the door. As he walked, he perked up, as if remembering something, and then turned back to face the mares.

"Oh! Applejack and Fluttershy, no work today. You two will start first thing in the morning."

Then, he walked out of the bunkhouse, and down the dirt path that led to his ranch.

"Well, shoot. You two got off lucky. I've got to get goin' though. I don't want that stallion all on my flank for me being late. I'll see you guys when I get back."

Then Cloudchaser trotted to the door way, and took off, flying to the middle of the farm to catch up with the other workers.

"AJ, let's leave! I hate it here, everyone is mean!" Fluttershy bursted out, finally letting the tears stream down her cheeks.

Applejack put her hoof around her friend.

"Now, Fluttershy, don't pay that little filly no attention. You ain't no freak, and you know that."

Fluttershy sobbed silently.

"Fluttershy... well... get it out now at least. Why don't you take a nap, that way you can be well and rested when the workers come back from their jobs."

Fluttershy agreed. She layed her head down and fell asleep within a few minutes. She had no pillows, no blankets, nothing. Applejack looked, and felt a little sorry.

Winona sat up by Cloudchaser's bunk, looking at Applejack lazily through it's half closed eyelids.

"What?" She asked her.

The dog let out a small whine and laid it's head back down.

"Applejack, don't be mean to Winona... she's a nice dog."

Applejack looked toward Fluttershy.

"Fluttershy?"

"Yes, AJ?"

"Listen, Celestia forbid we do get in any trouble here, do you remember the river that we slept by?"

"Oh, yes AJ, with the bunnies."

"Yeah, that one. Well, I want you to go there ok? And I'll meet you there as soon as I can, to make sure you're safe. Can you remember that?"

"I will, I swear I will, AJ."

"Good, now head on back to sleep."

Applejack sat with Fluttershy on her bed until she fell back asleep.

Then she sat up and looked out the window of the bunkhouse. It was midday and the sun was as bright as ever. The ponies were tending the carrots and the wind gave them a gentle breeze to work with.

Applejack sighed.