• Published 17th Oct 2014
  • 2,930 Views, 164 Comments

The Ninth Fantasy - Gaia - MrAlterad



Spike, Applejack and Pinkie Pie find themselves in a world connected to Equestria, a world called Gaia. Follow them in this FFIX crossover where the fate of two worlds rests in their claws and hoofs.

  • ...
4
 164
 2,930

7. Black Waltz

Black Waltz No.3 looked on in disgust as the Queen's two jesters complained about the petty failures of No.1 and 2. How insufferable, and to think I was constructed by these inferior creatures. No.3 thought as he distracted himself from their pointless squabble, keeping his attention on the cargo ship.

Black Waltz No.3, being the strongest of the Waltzs, was also the largest, had more pronounced blue wings, and a large staff that occasionally crackled with lightning. Despite the fact that it was fabricated, it took pride in its power, and was eager to put it to use.

Black Waltz No.3 and the two jesters had been watching from a distance on the deck of a small airship, which barely had room for the three of them, but was fast. From there, they witnessed the failure of Black Waltz No.1 and No.2. Now, the cargo ship was taking off from Dali, and was bound to Alexandria, with the princess on board.

“We should have sent all three at once?” Zorn asked, tilting his head as he looked to his red and white clad twin.

“All three at once, we should have sent!” Thorn annoyingly said, practically jumping as he replied. Zorn quickly shook his head.

“We should have made them more compatible!”

“Work together, they should have!” Thorn affirmed.

“Now we only have No.3 left,” Zorn said with a hint of fear in his voice as he looked to the cargo ship. They then both looked alarmed when they saw the ship turn towards the South Gate, instead of Alexandria.

“Our heads, the queen will have!” Thorn bemoaned as he pointed to their escaping target.

“Go retrieve the princess, quickly!” Zorn ordered Black Waltz No.3.

“Quickly the princess, you must retrieve!” Thorn proclaimed, his brow furrowed. No.3 wings furrowed, and didn't humor them with a response.

Damn pests, he thought as he glanced over his shoulder to them, I live to capture the princess! I need no orders to do my sworn purpose! No.3 was the strongest of the Black Waltz's, so he naturally saw everything else beneath him. All the Black Waltz's refused to work together, believing that they could each capture the princess on their own. One and Two were inferior, their deaths a certainty. I shall retrieve the princess, and crush the vermin she surrounds herself with!

Wasting no time, No.3 took flight, heading after the cargo ship, quickly catching up to it. He saw on the deck an the orange-four legged creature and a small black mage. No, No.3 corrected himself. It was some sort of lizard wearing the robes and hat of a black mage, A mere pretender, how disgraceful!

The impostor had fallen beneath his noticed when he saw No.2 perish, the lizard fought with magic, and was thus beneath Black Waltz No.3.

No.3 knew how the others were defeated. Strength in numbers. He wouldn't allow himself to fall to the same trick. I will not give them time to gather! Catching his enemies off guard, he landed on the ship and blasted the orange one with his most powerful stroke of lighting. Caught off guard, she was hit by the full brunt of his assault, sending her rolling, and flying off the side of the ship. No.3 smiled to himself. One down.

“Applejack!!” The small lizard cried fearfully. A small rope flew over the side and caught the railing, but No.3 didn't pay it any mind. He instead prepared another blast for the monkey wearing blue that was coming out of the ship's cabin. Before his magic could be cast, the small mage used his own magic against the Black Waltz, which No.3 deflected, with shameful ease.

“Pathetic,” he commented offhandedly as he gave the human with the tail his attention. The magic No.1 and 2 had were child's play compared to what No.3 had. His Thunder was on a completely different level. He blasted the monkey, causing him to stagger and fall back. As it started to get back on its feet, No.3 noticed the princess coming out of the cabin. The princesses' healing magic did in No.2, not this time!

“Princess!” No.3 proclaimed maliciously, “Use your magic to aid these rats, and I'll have to shut you down.” It was the only warning No.3 was going to give.

Regardless, he saw that the princess was preparing a spell, but he fired his off first. The electric storm took her down, and she fell to the deck, unmoving. While dealing with the princess and the monkey, he failed to notice the lizard helping the mare climb the rope to the deck. He spread out his thunder as the monkey started to move to the princesses' aid. Fool, you wasted your chance to strike me!

As the monkey rubbed a red feather on the princess, she started to stir, but the following thunderstorm that hit everyone on the deck knocked her and the thief out. The lizard lost hold of the rope from the thunder and a cry of alarm came from the one hanging onto the other end.

Only the small lizard remained, and Black Waltz No.3 ignored it. He moved to the unconscious princess, he was here to capture her, and his goal was right in front of him. And that is why I am the strongest-

Black Waltz was hit by fire, but to his surprise, it hadn't been from the lizard. Half a dozen Black Mages gathered before him, coming up from the lower deck, keeping him from the princess. What!? These dolls choose to stand before me!?

“Get out of my way!" No.3 ordered, sweeping his staff to the side, "You dare stand before a Black Waltz?” The Black Mages responded by preparing their spells, gathering magic to strike No.3. “You trash!” No.3 shouted as he let forth another thunderstorm.

His storm lashed over the six Black Mages, knocking them back as their bodies were burned by the crackling lightning. The force of the blast sent each and every one of them overboard, disappearing into the mist below. No.3's lightning arced out, destroying most of the deck, it crackled through the hull, destroying the barrels full of sleeping mages on the sides of the cargo ship, that had just been loaded up in Dali, sending them falling into the mist.

No.3 looked at the carnage he had caused, the only sound welcoming him was the purr of the engine, and the rustling of the breeze. What rubbish, good riddance! He thought as he looked to the princess. The way clear again, he moved to retrieve her.

“Why? Why did you do that?” An unexpected voice asked of him, “Weren't they your friends!?” No.3 stopped, confused that someone was asking him a question. The small lizard stood in front of him. It was so short that No.3 hadn't noticed it until it spoke. The expression it was giving him made him pause. The lizards face was wet, it's accusing glare demanding an answer. The damn thing has tears in its eyes. What was that suppose to be, a sign of weakness? No.3 thought as he stepped back to appraise the false mage.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spike stared at the Black Waltz, his cheeks wet from his tears, his chest aching at the pain in his heart, which hurt more than the burns the Waltz's attacks had caused. It had killed the Black Mages that chose to help them, and he wanted to know why.

“Because they were in my way.” No.3 replied viciously, “They were trash, rubbish, mass produced dolls created to fight and die, so I killed them.” Spike shook his head before looking back into No.3's yellow eyes.

“But they're just like you!” Spike proclaimed. “Why do that to someone that's just like you?”

“They are nothing like me!” No.3 replied, the air crackling with magic as he did so. “I captured the princess, No.1 and 2 failed, I have succeeded, and you are finished!” he said as it gathered more power for his spell.

They're nothing like him? Spike thought as he took a step back, Why would anyone do that? Can people really be that mean? he then shook his head. No! I won't believe that! I've met plenty of nice ponies, and very few bad ones! He's wrong! His claws were clenched hard as he glared up at No.3. I won't let him get away without showing him how wrong he is! Spike's will to prove the Black Waltz wrong was powerful, very powerful. As Spike saw Applejack swing over the side of the ship towards the Black Waltz, he felt himself become empowered with energy.

He felt the power flow through him, and his clothes and weapons disappeared into a smog of magic, his green spines shimmered with power as purple and green lightning arched from him. Feeling a compulsion born of the Trance, he took a deep breath. As he did so, Applejack slammed into the side of No.3. The mage, caught off guard by the unexpected attack, misfired its spell, the lightning flying harmlessly off the side of the ship.

“How do ya like them apples!” Applejack proclaimed as she moved in front of No.3, glaring swords at him. “How's it feel to be caught off guard, ya monster!”

As No.3 turned to attack Applejack, anger in its eyes, Spikes spines shimmered green as he let forth a swirl of power, breathing out a jet of magic. Fire, Blizzard, and Thunder all assaulted the Black Waltz in a Tetra-Breath of destruction. No.3 cried out in pain, and took flight to avoid another barrage. Applejack, however, caught the Black Waltz with her rope, and tied it down to the deck.

“Ya'll pay for what ya've done, ya ain't getting away, ya darn fiend!” She proclaimed as the Black Waltz prepared another spell. Take another one, you big jerk! Spike thought as his spines shimmered again, letting forth another breath of electric chilling fire, washing past Applejack's rope and greatly harming No.3's wings. He let out a cry of rage as he glared at them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“I will not be dealt in by a fake mage and an overgrown house pet!” No.3 proclaimed as it let forth its spell. The orange rubbish got in front of his attack and took the brunt of it, to his dismay. He quickly followed up with another that would cover both of his foes. When his spell flew, he managed to knock out the lizard, but the other was still standing. As the lizard fell unconscious, the energy wrapped around it dissipated, and its clothes rematerialized over its form.

“Spike!" The pony screamed out in concern, then turned to No.3, "Ah now ya've done it, take this ya darn monster!” The overgrown house pet said as it ran up to the Black Waltz, and it kicked him with her rear legs. Power surged through her legs into him, the ropes bound him and kept him from flying away, causing massive bodily damage, making him cry out.

No.3 couldn't take another hit like that, so it focused its efforts on escaping. Gathering magic, it burned the ropes with a fire spell. Summoning power into its damaged wings, it quickly flew back to the airship the despised jesters were on. I fled from them! I fled! I will kill them! I will kill them! Kill! Kill! Kill!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Though still wounded, Applejack ignored the pain as she focused on her friends first. With three red feathers in her mouth, that she had bought back in Dahli, she was quick to get them back up. She also didn't fancy the idea of taking that thing on alone when it chose to return.

The new barding had saved her neck, the power within it letting her summon a strong rope that spared her from falling into the mist. She was surprised at what the abilities items granted her were capable of. She had summoned that rope out of thin air.

I'm an earth pony, not a unicorn! She thought as she reached Garnet. How is this possible? Thinking on it, she realized that the apples from Apple Toss were also created with magic. Just what is up with this world, does it have more magic than Equestria?

During the fight, she had used the rope to swing back on deck. And with a combined assault of Applebuck and Spike going into Trance, they had managed to scare off their foe, for now. Spike's Tetra-Breath was impressive, but what happened to trigger it weighed on the mare's mind.

After Garnet stirred from the Phoenix Feather, Applejack asked her to get a Cure spell going for when she woke the others, and in less than a minute all four of them were back on their feet.

“That was too close for comfort.” Zidane admitted as he overlooked the damage, “Good save, Applejack!” Applejack nodded as she saw the look on Spike's face, and his eyes met hers. Zidane noticed the look they shared, and asked the princess to make sure the cargo ship didn't crash into the cliff sides. He then kept an eye out for the Black Waltz, leaving Spike and Applejack to themselves.

Looking over the carnage, Spike was just short of crying, next to a mage's hat that had gotten caught on splintered wood from the now battle-scarred deck. He asked them to take us to Lindblum, and now this. Applejack thought, her ears low as she wondered if her friend was blaming himself like she had over Blank.

Moving to his side, she comforted him as best she could. She hugged him, saying it wasn't his fault, it was the Black Waltz that did it, not him. He returned the hug, silent for a minute, before breaking the silence.

“I know,” Spike admitted with a sniffle, “it doesn't make me feel better, but I know it's not my fault.” He then looked to the sky, as if searching for something. “Why's it willing to kill its own? I don't understand. Ponies never kill ponies, dragons never kill dragons, so why did that black mage kill the others?” His question made her heart ache, and she considered it a moment before shaking her head.

“I don't know sugarcube, I just don't. I guess he was as bad as Sombra or Tirek. He was a bad pony, and we shouldn't expect any better from him.” Applejack looked out over the mist, her mind lost in thought. This world was dangerous, the mist seems to be everywhere, with monsters being born of it. And the queen of Alexandria isn't afraid to kill us to get her daughter back. She let out a sad sigh as she recalled her small farm back home, feeling homesick, and wishing she wasn't on Gaia.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ATE: Airway Robbery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Failed, all three have!” Thorn cried out as he clutched his head in frustration.

“And now the queen will have our heads!” Zorn bemoaned. Thorn noticed something moving towards them, and pointed to it.

“It returns, No.3!” Thorn proclaimed, looking towards the Black Waltz. Zorn looked to it, confused as he tilted his head.

“Something's wrong, its broken!” Zorn declared as he looked to his twin in worry.

“Control it, we cannot!”

“Run away!”

“Run away!”

With that, both jesters abandoned their airship, jumping out and flailing in the wind as No.3 landed on it. Shortly after landing, the small ship zipped off towards the cargo ship. As the two jesters slowly fell into the mist, the couldn't help but fear what the queen would do with them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Dagger, give it all you got!” Zidane ordered as indicated towards the South Gate, “Drive the engine as hard as it can go! We'll slip through the gate and trap him outside it!” He shouted as he spotted their pursuer. Looking ahead, Applejack could see a large structure built between two mountains, a wall with a giant round door in its center. That's the South Gate!? It's a lot bigger than I pictured! Applejack thought. It was a man-made wall of stone, its inside hallowed out, with two doors on each side to control airship traffic.

“Let's make sure he doesn't get another chance to do that again, okay?” Applejack asked Spike, hoping it would distract him from the sadness hanging his head down. He gave a small nod that the mare almost missed. She gave him another reassuring hug before quickly moving to the back of the ship, watching the small craft the Black Waltz flew getting closer. Spike shortly joined her at her side, watching as well. The cargo ship was gaining speed, the wind passed by so fast it was roaring. As the Black Waltz got close enough for it to attack the ship, she was caught off guard when Spike teleported over to his.

The Black Waltz turned around in surprise as Spike used Thunder on his ships engines, the ship spun about, knocking the dragon off it, making Applejack's heart skip a beat. He teleported back to her side before he fell too far, making her sigh in relief. She then frowned as she lightly hit him on the head for scaring her, and he gave her a sheepish grin in turn. Looking to the bow of the ship, they saw they were about to go through the large doors of the south gate. The doors were closing, but they slipped through before they could be trapped outside.

Black Waltz slipped through as well, to Applejack's dismay. He followed through the door, having recovered from his spin. The mage pulled his ship close and prepared to let out a thunderstorm on the group. Applejack moved to take the brunt of it, but to her, and his surprise, the lightning damaged his own vessel.

Quickly looking back to appraise the fire, he failed to avoid the closing doors at the end of the South Gate's passageway. Slipping out and safely through the South Gate, the explosion of the Black Waltz's ship was all they needed to see to be assured of their foes fate. With the threat behind them, everyone went to the cabin of the ship, and sat in silence. Spike and Applejack sat next to each other, and several minutes passed before anyone spoke up.

“So, why's everyone so quiet?” Zidane asked calmly, almost cautiously, hoping to get a conversation rolling.

“We damaged the South Gate,” Dagger said, her eyes on the broken flooring, “No thanks to me.” Applejack shook her head as she got up, stomping her hoof as she moved before Zidane.

“Zidane, ya idiot!” Applejack said as she looked him in the eyes, “The ship is wrecked, it's not even ours! And all its crew is dead, and we went and broke the South Gate. Ya expectin' us to be happy or chatty after that!?”

“Applejack, it's okay,” Spike assured as he move to her side, “Don't take it out on Zidane. Yes it's bad, but like you told me earlier, it wasn't our fault. This wasn't our fault.” He assured as he motioned to the damaged vessel. “I'm sure who ever is in charge will get it when we explain.” Applejack looked to her friend, then to Zidane, who gave a weak apologetic grin and shrugged. She let out a sigh as Garnet appraised everyone.

“There's Lindblum castle.” She then looked to Spike and Applejack. “You two should go out and get a good look. It's something I'm sure neither of you have had the pleasure of witnessing before.” The princess offered, giving everyone the distraction they needed from recent events.

Going to the deck, the two Equestrians stopped moving as they looked ahead of them, finding themselves in awe. The castle of Lindblum was large. Dauntingly large. It was a castle as big as a city. A big city. Canterlot was a small village compared to the large city before them. Flying to the gate of Lindblum, they saw several airships traversing in and out of the city, its gate as large as the South Gate's had been.

As the cargo ship flew into the city, they saw a large sprawl of buildings. Lindblum seemed to be divided into several districts, and at the center of the city was a large tower that housed all of the city's airships. There were several buildings throughout the city letting out stacks of steam, and the bustling of people down below was intimidating, reminding the mare of the crowds in Manehattan. There were also a large number of small airships that seemed to ferry people between the districts.

As she took in the city, Applejack started to wonder where she should go once they've docked. They got Garnet to Lindblum, now it was time to find a cure for Blank, then a means back to Equestria. As the ship made to dock, she wondered if this would be where she and Spike would part with Zidane and the Princess. The ship docked as she was thinking on it, and she found herself being disappointed with the prospect of parting, which surprised her. Ah shucks, I've gone and grown fond of them. Well, how 'bout that.


~~~~~~~~~~~
Moogle Notes:
~~~~~~~~~~~

'Howdy Equestrian, Mois the moogle here to fill you in on things about Gaia!'

'If you're curious, Spike's Trance is called Tetra-Breath. it lets him cast three Black Magic spells at the same time as a breath attack. He can choose which spells he uses, but it costs the same MP as casting them individually. Since it's a breath attack, it cannot be spell reflected. Reflect can wait for a future chapter. Kupo!'

~~~~~~~~

Applejack

~~~~~~~~

Items Equipped:

Iron Sword: Minus Strike

Applejack's Hat: Applebuck(mastered)

Leather Scabbard: Cover(mastered)

Basic Barding: Hog Tie

Crude Saddlebag: Apple Toss(mastered)

Lvl-9 HP 454/454 MP 0/36

AP 11/21

*Beast Killer (4) - Deals lethal damage to beasts.

*Cover(6) - You take damage in place of an ally.

Abilities:

Apple Arts:

Applebuck 12 MP - High chance of removing an enemy from battle.

Apple Toss 8 MP - Restores HP of single target, Cures Doom and Trouble.

Hog Tie 8 Mp - Traps single target, causes Applebuck to do high damage.

Sword Arts:

Minus Strike 8 MP - Damages with the difference between your max HP and current HP

Author's Note:

Oh, there's No 3! :twilightsmile:

Thank you for being a part of this story reading enrichment experience.
Also, thanks to OCisbestpony for the help.:twilightsmile: