• Published 17th Oct 2014
  • 2,930 Views, 164 Comments

The Ninth Fantasy - Gaia - MrAlterad



Spike, Applejack and Pinkie Pie find themselves in a world connected to Equestria, a world called Gaia. Follow them in this FFIX crossover where the fate of two worlds rests in their claws and hoofs.

  • ...
4
 164
 2,930

1. The Place I'll Return to Someday

Where can she be? It's not like her to be late! Spike wondered worriedly as his eyes scoured the interior of the Sweet Apple Acres barn. The others were intending to leave for Canterlot to talk with Celestia about the moon turning red, and the eerie mist poring from the Everfree. However, Applejack never showed up, leading to a missing pony search. Rarity was going to help Spike sweep through the orchard soon, so he moved to leave the barn.

As he did, he felt a familiar sensation, closing his eyes out of reflex as the world glowed a white light. He fell over as the sensation of being unexpectedly teleported washed over him.

Ugh, did Twilight teleport me again? I wish she'd ask before doing that. Spike thought, annoyance chasing his thoughts. He got on his legs, rubbing his eyes, the world still white around him. Huh? Twilight's little hops usually take just a second to clear up.

He stood rigid as his eyes finally took in his surroundings. He stood on a beaten path outside a large unfamiliar city, a couple minutes walk away. The buildings were similar to Ponyville's, but these buildings seemed to have an unnecessary love of chimneys and curved roof tiles. They were also clustered together, smooshed side by side, closed off, giving the feeling of being uninviting. The entire city was also wrapped in a defensive wall of stone, and near the back end of the city, towering high, was an impressive castle.

The non-equine figures guarding the gate into the city caught his eye. They resembled him in some respects. They stood on two legs, and had arms. Wait, humans!? Am I in the other world? Considering the possibility, he quickly noticed he still had his claws and let out a sigh of relief. Being a dog isn't all that fun, he thought as his eyes roamed the countryside, eagerly absorbing all they could.

Off beyond the city was a range of mountains that wrapped in both directions, forming a natural wall behind the city. He was surprised to see a large valley not too far behind him. At least, he assumed it was a valley, as the entire basin was covered in mist, and Spike was certain it was the same mist that has had everypony in a panic for some time now. He didn't know how deep the valley was, and was perfectly fine with not knowing. Casting his vision to the sky, his worry started to grow as his suspicions were confirmed. The moon, it was blue, as apposed to red.

This isn't Equestria! he thought in alarm, is this part of the other world? As he looked around, he crossed his arms and looked to the ground. Should I wait for Twilight to come find me, or check out the city? His thoughts were interrupted by noticing a pair of items littered on the dirt path before him.

One was a small stick, as long as he was tall. It had a rounded head, like the wood had been bent into a closed finger, while retaining its wood-like shape. It looked more like it was grown into that shape than carved, giving Spike the impression that the staff was mystical. Beneath the bend was a small coil of cloth, right were one would grasp the stick from.

Oh, this looks cool! he thought as he picked it up, and he did indeed feel something magical about the staff, though he couldn't place why.

The other item was a small piece of paper, and it kind of reminded him of the gala ticket he had received from Celestia a while back. Checking the ticket, he saw it was for a love story called 'I Want to Be Your Crow'.

Ugh, a love story, I'll pass on that, thank you, he thought with disgust. Looking at the ticket he no longer wanted, he acted on a whim. Getting his pencil out, he wrote a letter to the princess on the back of it.

'Dear Princess Celestia, this is Twilight's number one assistant, Spike, and I'm lost! I think I'm in the world beyond the mirror. The mist seems to be here as well.'

'I think Twilight was teleporting me to Canterlot, but I'm at some other large city instead, and she isn't with me. Please send help if you can.'

'-Spike'

Finished, he rolled up the ticket and breathed fire on it, burning it with magical fire to send it to the princess. The ticket had other plans, such as wafting in the wind, unharmed.

He looked at the ticket, confused, and he breathed his greenish flame on it again, with more vigor this time. The ticket's pristine condition seemed to be mocking the young dragon. His grip on the staff tightened in frustration. Why won't you burn! Spike felt a strange sensation travel from the staff into his arm, and the ticket instantly burst into red flame.

He jumped back, his breath caught in his throat as he eyed the conflagration. Did I actually do that, with my mind? For a moment he didn't notice the fact that his letter was burnt to ash, or that he had no way of calling for help.

He stared at a small cluster of grass, and tried it again, feeling that sensation from the staff as the grass was burnt to a crisp. He jumped up in joy, unable to contain the unbridled emotion. I can't wait to show Twilight! His joy was put to work demonstrating this new power, defacing the countryside and leaving burnt patches of grass in his wake.

His glee was short lived, as his eyes were drawn to something moving towards him from near the cliff. It looked like a large spider with a pair of large antenna and a really large lower body. The monster was easily bigger than a pony. It's heading right for me! His legs refused to move as he tried to process the monster's hostility.

With startling speed, the spider plowed into the dragon, still confused, knocking him back several feet. Spike gasped and moved out of its way as it tried to spin a web around him. Not good! In a moment of dread, Spike willed it to burn, and the creature let out a hiss as it was caught in a fireball.

When the smoke cleared, the monster was gone, a small pile of round metal pieces in the spot it once occupied. Spike stood there silently, looking over the pile, his side sore, his breathing heavy. Just what in Equestria was that!? Spike winced in pain from the monster's attack, and looked back to the city.

Now realizing what the wall was for, he moved towards the city, leaving the round metal pieces that sort of resembled bits behind. He saw safety behind those walls, and it motivated his movement, as the fire he summoned up to defeat the monster seemed to call upon some sort of fortitude he was unfamiliar with, and he felt that he couldn't bring forth any more fire until he rested.

So not only am I not in Equestria, but there are monsters too! Just great! He would harrumph if he wasn't too busy running. Ohh, I hope Applejack is having a better day then me! He thought as he ran as fast as his short legs could.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ATE: An Apple Far from its Tree
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This day is the worst! Applejack thought with a frown as she looked upon the unfamiliar city, Alexandria. Letting out a sigh, she moved from the window, continuing on to the princesses' chambers, her steps echoing off the marble floors down the old, majestic stone hall. She spotted her destination, a large pair of red double doors with a single guard in front. The guard wore metal armor, had a buckler and sword strapped to her side, and she wore a domed helm that easily concealed her face.

Reaching the room, the female guard nodded to the mare. Most of the guards Applejack had encountered in the castle were female, and the mare suddenly appearing after a flash of light an hour ago in the center of the castle had caused quite an incident. The memory made her cheeks flush as she knocked on the door of the one that kept Applejack from being thrown into the castle prison right on the spot.

“It's Applejack, yer highness.” The mare informed, before the occupant could ask who it was, getting a raised eyebrow from the guard. Oh shucks, I did it again, didn't I? Applejack wasn't use to being extra formal to royalty, which was expected in this castle.

“Come in.” A soft voice replied, and not waiting for the guard, Applejack went into Princess Garnet's quarters. Her eyes took in the princess, making her stop mid-step. She was wearing a white, cumbersome looking, but still fairly pretty and magnificent dress. Garnet herself had long brown hair, light skin and brown eyes, and was just a smidgen taller than Applejack. “Is this about earlier?” She asked as she turned to the mare, radiating concern and worry.

“Yea, about that.” Applejack began, rubbing the back of her head as she glanced out the window. “I first wanted to thank ya fer speakin' fer me. I mean, just suddenly appearin' in yer castle and what-not is bound to make anypony right suspicious.” Applejack then looked to Garnet, who was eyeing the mare with patience and respect.

“I was just wonderin', if perhaps, ya could...” Applejack sighed as she shook her head, forcing out the words. “If ya could help me get back home.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spike stood before the gates of the city nervously as two guards looked over him. One of them gave him a kind smile, and pulled out a small vial, making her partner give her a bothered look.

“Hey there little guy,” The female guard began, her warm smile melting the dragon's worry away. “You look a little rough, drink this potion, it'll fix you up.”

Not questioning her good intentions, he took the vial, quickly downing the concoction. He felt magic born of the drink immediately wash though him, making his aches and pains disappear, surprising him with how fast it worked.

“Wow! Thanks!” Feeling a lot better, he gave his full attention the guard who aided him, giving her a toothy grin. “I'm Spike!” he then glanced into the city, “Would you mind telling me where I am?” They both gave him an odd look, provoking him to add, “I'm not from around here.” From absolutely nowhere around here. He added, to himself.

“Well Spike, I'm-” the guard with the warm smile began, but was interrupted by her female companion.

“You know that potion was for us, for an emergency, right?” Her companion commented, looking a little distressed by her companions actions. “Biggs is gonna throw a fit!”

“I'll just tell him Wedge lost it.” She quickly, and deviously replied. She then looked back to Spike, blushing as she rubbed her neck. “Yes, well. I'm Tina, and my friend here is Celeste, and you're at the southwest gate of the capitol, Alexandria.” She then frowned a little. “Of the nation of the same name.”

“Alexandria?” Spike replied. “Do you know where I can find Equestria from here?”

“I, can't say I've heard of that place.” She stood and pondered for a moment before looking to have an answer for him, motioning Spike towards the path into the city. “You can try asking the merchants in town square. Many have come from far and wide for the Princesses' birthday, so you're bound to find someone who knows there.”

There's a princess? Here!? His eyes quickly fell upon the large castle at the back of Alexandria, and he was struck with a plan. Aha! I can talk to the princess, and she can help me get back to Ponyville! With almost a skip in his step, he thanked Tina and Celeste, and moved into the city.

Considering his exposure to royalty, he didn't think it would be odd to go right up to the front gates and ask to talk to the kingdom's princess. As he walked through the city, he saw not just humans, but other human-like creatures inhabiting the place. There were rat-folk, penguins, and hippos with human features populating the city. All of them moving about their busy lives, not even giving the young dragon a second glance.

No wonder I wasn't bothered for being a dragon. Finding his way through Alexandria, he passed by the market and found the gates to the castle. Much to his dismay, the guards in front of the gate did not let him inside.

“I'll have you know I am Twilight, the Princess of Friendship's number one assistant!” They didn't seem impressed. “Please let me through, I have an emergency!” He asked of the guards, but they wouldn't even answer him. They simply stood watch, and made sure no one got through.

Looking past the gate, he could make out the spires of the castle. It had several small towers, and four large towers that were spread at the points of a square, in the center was a very large blade that reached into the sky, as if trying to cut the heavens. The blade itself reflected the sky, its size made it thicker, and taller than the towers surrounding it, and Spike could only wonder how that blade had been forged.

Looking away from the castle, he went back the way he came, kicking the cobblestones as he did so. Spike briefly noticed a small rat-kid watching him, but payed him no mind as he considered what to do next.

Well great, how am I suppose to talk to the princess if I can't get in? He thought as he wandered to the market he had passed. As he did so a large ship flew overhead, overshadowing a good portion of the street. Spike looked at it in wonder, it reminded him of a blimp with a ship hanging under it back in Canterlot.

This boat, however, was bigger, it had several large spinning propellers swinging lazily in circles. Spike craned his neck, unable to see more of its features as it flew over towards the castle. Okay, this Alexandria place is pretty cool! Big castle with a large sword, and awesome flying ships!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ATE: We are Thieves!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Several figures stood in a poorly lit room on the ship passing over Alexandria. Surrounded by a large number of spare parts, a round bellied rat-folk with a purple beard and mustache took in the others. He stood before a round table with several figurines on it, and appraised his company.

“Right! Here's the plan!” he began, motioning to the other four. “Tantalus, the infamous band of daring thieves,” He then raised an eyebrow, as if wondering if the others needed be affirmed on this, “Which is us. Is headin' to the Kingdom of Alexandria.” He said, motioning to the toy model of the Alexandrian castle to the others.

“Our mission!” he continued, “to kidnap the heir to the throne, Princess Garnet!” He then looked to the man in the back of the room. “Cinna?” The small man with a crushed gray top-hat, scruffy brown beard, and smelled of engine oil, stood up, turning to the company.

“I'll take it from here, so listen up!” Cinna then pulled out a small toy model of the Prima Vista, the very ship they were flying upon. “Our ship's about to dock at Alexandria. And when it does, we're gonna put on our costumes, and perform 'I Want to Be Your Canary,' the most popular play in the kingdom!”

He then looked to the man with a red bandanna, wearing a blue sleeveless shirt and short pants. “Break a leg, Marcus! 'Cause you're playin' the lead!” Marcus nodded as he stood up.

“Leave the actin' to me!” Marcus declared, “Of course, the real kidnappers'll be Blank and Zidane!” He said as he looked to a man with red hair, wearing loose leather clothes with animal furs, and another man who had short blond hair, wearing a blue sleeveless shirt and pants. The blond headed man also had a tail, and he nodded in unison with Blank at Marcus' proclamation. Blank pulled something from his pocket as he looked to the others.

“I'll distract the audience from backstage with these little buggers.” Blank explained, showing a large orange and yellow insect with a preference for bouncing around. It made a <gwok> noise as Blank actively shivered. “I can't stand oglops,” he admitted as he pocketed the bug. “But I'll manage, so don't worry about me.” He then looked to the man with the tail, “And that'll be your cue, Zidane!”

“Right! That's when I kidnap Princess Garnet, right?” He asked as he looked to the leader of the Tantalus gang, the man with the purple beard, Baku.

“You bet!” Baku replied enthusiastically as he pulled out a small doll labeled 'Princess Garnet', “You're gonna kidnap the most babe-ilicous beauty in all of Alexandria, Princess Garnet!”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Pst, hey you, shrimp,” Spike's thoughts on getting inside the castle were interrupted as his eyes fell on the young rat-folk who eyed him earlier, who he noted was shorter then he was. The rat-kid looked poor, sporting light brown fur and wearing a ragged light blue shirt with tan overalls. Despite his poor attire, the kid seemed brimming with confidence and authority.

“You're the one that wants to go inside, right?” He asked Spike, who nodded, wondering where this was going. “You wanna go into the castle? I'll help you in if you become my slave! Well, whaddya say?”

“Your slave!? No way!” Spike quickly refused, wide-eyed.

“Oh, um,” the rat-kid looked around, a little embarrassed before turning back to Spike. “How about assistant then?”

Assistant? I think I can manage that. Still, really? Slave? Spike nodded as he looked back to the castle. I really need to get inside and talk to the princess! Assuming it was a temporary agreement, the child led Spike down an alley. He stopped at a ladder near a signpost and asked Spike to carry it for him.

“This is gonna be awesome,” the kid affirmed, “this way shrimp, we gotta get that to the roof!” and Spike was pulled along by his enthusiasm. It was clear to him at this point that they were probably gonna sneak into the castle, which didn't bother him. He enjoyed the last time he had done that, and carried the ladder with a smile on his face.

Following the rat-kid up to the roof-tops, the entire affair started to feel like an adventure to Spike. They walked across wooden planks suspended precariously between buildings, getting closer and closer to the castle. When they reached the last gap, they used the ladder they acquired to bridge the gap between the roof and some scaffolding attached to the castle wall. And in one quick motion the two of them were in the castle.

“Alright, we're here!” the kid proclaimed, then turned to Spike, “Ahhh darn! I forgot!” He shook his head, a little embarrassed before composing himself. “I'm Puck! What's your name?” I guess we should have done that sooner. Spike thought as he smiled to Puck sheepishly.

“I'm Spike, pleased to meet you!” he said as he took in the area. The ship he saw before was docked at the castle, resting in an artificial lake seeming made for this purpose. The ship itself had a stage built into it's deck, facing an audience of wealthy looking individuals. It looked like a play was about to start, and looking to Puck, Spike saw that the rat-kid carried a look of expectation, his eyes locked on the stage.

“Wait, you wanted to see the play?” Spike asked, surprised and confused that someone about his age would like to see such a thing.

“Well yea! It's the best play in Alexandria!” Puck declared as they moved around behind the seats the wealthy looking individuals were sitting in. “You should stay and watch the beginnin' at least!”

Spike shook his head. I need to find the princess and- his thoughts were interrupted by the explosion of fireworks as the stage came to life, music blaring as the play began, instantly drawing his attention, and making him momentarily forget the reason he came here.

The audience cheered and applauded the opening of the play, as a large man with a purple beard, wearing kingly garments, walked to the center of the stage. He looked to the audience, spreading his arms wide as the cheering died down. He bowed down before addressing everyone, his voice booming and deep.

“Ladies and Gentlemen! Tonight's performance is a story that takes place long, long ago. Our heroine, Princess Cornelia, is torn from her lover, Marcus. She attempts to flee the castle, only to be captured by her father, King Leo.” The speaker eyed his audience, giving a moment of dramatic pause.

“When our story begins, Marcus, having heard of this, crosses swords with the king!” He then motioned towards a platform above Spike, making the dragon look, but he couldn't make out what was on the platform.

“And now,” the speaker continued, “Your Royal Majesty, Queen Brahne, Your Highness, Princess Garnet.” He then motioned towards the wealthy individuals in front of Spike, and the audience of people watching the play from nearby roof tops.

“Noble ladies and lords, and our rooftop viewers, Tantalus proudly presents 'I want to Be Your Canary'!” He then bowed as the audience applauded, and Spike found himself captivated, joining in the applause as the music boomed up, and the man moved to the left side of the stage.

The doors in the stage's center opened up, revealing three actors of different colors. A man with red hair and leather stood tall, speaking up.

“Bereft of father! Bereft of mother!” he declared, his eyes afire with anger as he shook his head. “Marcus! Thou hast lost even thy love!” He declared as a short man with a scruffy beard took a step forward.

“Fortune hath escap'd thee!” the short man cried out worriedly, “For what end shalt thou live?” The man standing between the two actors, a man with blond short hair, wearing blue, stood tall, a sword drawn.

“For the sake of our friend, let us bury our steel in the heart of the wretched King Leo!” the man in the middle declared, and his two companions turned to him with a nod.

“Aye!”

“Aye!”

They declared in unison as all three of them charged onto the stage. This is a love story!? Spike wondered in amazement as he eyed the weapons the actors had, they looked real, and Spike could only wonder what he would have missed had he ran blindly into the castle. Spike's eyes widened as he realized that he wasn't actually looking for the princess right now.

Ah man! He really wanted to see what happened next, but he tore himself from the play, looking to the castle. Twilight is probably worried about me, I should look for the princess. Garnet was it? He thought as he looked up to the balcony above him. Is she up there? He wondered as he bid Puck a 'See you later,' Puck looked at him, a little disappointed, but wished Spike good luck.

Leaving the play behind him, he ran into the castle to find his ticket home. Well, Spike thought, at least I don't have to see the romantic parts of that play, either. He admitted to himself, brightening his mood as he lost himself in a maze of stone and marble.


~~~~~~~~~~~
Moogle Notes:
~~~~~~~~~~~

'Hello Equestrian, I'm Mois, a moogle, and I'll be your guide for the Gaian chronicles of The Ninth Fantasy.'

'This is where I'll be explaining some workings of Gaia's magic to you, as there are many things on Gaia that are not on Equestria.'

'As I said, I'm a moogle, and moogles such as I are responsible for chronicling history of the nations, as well as helping with communication between everyone through our mailing system. You'll see more of us moogles in later chapters. Kupo~'

'Now then, what to start with? Well, how about the beginning with Spike? During the opening stages of the Ninth Fantasy, several individuals were transferred between Gaia and Equestria. All transfers happened in pairs, Spike was switched out with Vivi Ornitier, dumping the quiet black mage in the barn at Sweet Apple Acres.'

'The ticket Spike burned was a fake ticket for the play 'I Want to be your Canary', a tragic love story that is a favorite to the Alexandrian royal family. The Prima Vista, the theater ship that flew over Spike, is performing the play to celebrate the princesses' sixteenth birthday.'

'Beneath is a bio, usually for the narrator the chapter focused on, in this case that would be Spike. It will show his physical and mental stamina, as well as equipment, abilities and spells. I'll go more into abilities next chapter, while chapter three will cover how items interact with them. Kupo~'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spike the Dragon

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Items Equipped: *New Item Acquired*

*Mage Staff: Fire

Lvl up! Lvl-2 HP 82/82 MP 4/52

AP 15/15

*Dragon Scales(0) - You take no fire damage.

Abilities:

Black Magic:

Fire 6 MP - Causes Fire damage to single/multiple targets.

Friendship's Magic:

Spike's Flame 0 MP - Green and harmless warm fire. Perfect for lightening up any party.

Author's Note:

I just might love MLP:FIM and FFIX, maybe just a little. Spike and Applejack are best pony.

Also, here's a picture of Alexandria castle, because it's awesome.

And just a quick thank you to my readers, and my friend OCisbestpony for helping me with editing. :twilightsmile: