• Published 17th Oct 2014
  • 2,930 Views, 164 Comments

The Ninth Fantasy - Gaia - MrAlterad



Spike, Applejack and Pinkie Pie find themselves in a world connected to Equestria, a world called Gaia. Follow them in this FFIX crossover where the fate of two worlds rests in their claws and hoofs.

  • ...
4
 164
 2,930

12. Stolen Eyes

With the festivities had died down a little, and it was time for Spike to collect his reward, and for everyone to enjoy the Feast of the Hunt. Applejack grinned to the young dragon as the five of them entered the royal chamber. She was happy for him, and she personally had a lot of fun competing against Freya. I wouldn't mind doin' that again sometime soon, she thought as Cid looked to address them, Garnet at his side.

“That was marvelous, all of you!” he said as the party gathered before him, sitting on his throne. Artania was standing to his side, carrying a small, finely crafted bag. “A grand display of skill and tact if I ever saw one. And your festive additions were quite the unexpected joy, Ms. Pinkie Pie.”

“It was nothing~” She replied as Artania walked up to Spike.

“195 points,” Artania complimented, “most impressive, congratulations Spike!” he happily said as Cid continued.

“We grant you, Spike the Dragon, the title of Master Hunter, and your reward.” On Cid's cue, Artania presented the dragon with the sack of gemstones, which Spike eagerly peaked into. His eyes widened in happiness as he beheld the bag's contents, which Applejack couldn't see from here, but she assumed it had an impressive array.

“Gotta say, that was pretty awesome. Nice one Spike!” Zidane complimented, Applejack wasn't sure if he was sour about losing the hunt or not, but he seemed genuinely happy for the dragon.

“Wait till you tell Twilight about it~!” Pinkie added.

“This is all kinds of awesome! Thanks everyone!” Spike replied as he eyed a purple gem he pulled from the bag. Freya hesitated, before also congratulating Spike-

Showering the dragon with congratulations and praise was interrupted by a Lindblum guard helping a terribly wounded rat-folk soldier into the royal chamber.

Applejack's mirth and line of thought instantly froze as she took in the wounded Burmecian. Those wounds were fatal, and despite what she wished, she could tell he was on the brink.

“Messenger from Burmecia,” the guard grimly informed Cid as Garnet quickly worked to cure the Burmecian of his wounds. Despite her efforts, the wounds didn't seem to close up, which made her distraught from her lack of success. The Equestrians stood looking in shock, the scene alien to them. Applejack lifted a hoof, wanting to step forward and help, but put her hoof back down as she stared on helplessly. He's bleedin', an awful lot... She thought as the soldier looked to the regent.

“Please forgive my intrusion...” the Burmecian weakly said, “I bring urgent news from our king,” Freya move to help the soldier, worry and concern written on her face as well.

“The King of Burmecia?” Cid asked, alarmed, but composed, “Please, continue.”

“Our kingdom,” he began, drawing on what was left of his strength, “is being attacked by some unknown force! We're severely outmatched... please send reinforcements, immediately!” Everyone was surprised by the news as he continued, “The enemy is an army of mages, wearing steeple-crowned hats...” Like the Black Waltz's!? Applejack thought wide-eyed, her fear momentarily switched out for confusion, and anger.

“I see,” Cid replied, his brow furrowed, “the king and I are old friends. We will send reinforcements to Burmecia immediately!”

“Thank you, regent, the king, and all of Burmecia will be most grateful... I must... return now...” he finished weakly as he slowly slumped to the ground, his breathing dying down as they all looked on, helpless. Seeing him perish made Applejack's eyes sting, but she wasn't going to indulge the itch, as she felt Pinkie and Spike at her side, and her pride wouldn't let her be the first to cry. Applejack vaguely noticed that Zidane looked like he wanted to hit something, while Garnet was trying to remain composed.

“Take him to the infirmary!” Artania ordered.

“It's too late,” Freya sadly declared as she respectfully closed the dead soldier's eyes. “He's gone... It's a miracle he even made it this far.” She moved back as the guard that helped the soldier in moved the body out of the room. Freya watched them leave, her shoulders heavy as her eyes fell to the red mess on the floor near her.

“I can't believe this is happening.” She admitted as she looked up from the blood, turning to Cid. Her movement stopped a moment when she saw how the Equestrians looked.

Applejack had kept her tears down. She didn't need to look to know that Pinkie's mane was a little deflated. She looked to Spike, and didn't know whether to feel relieved, or concerned. Spike looked confused, the entire event not processing to him. Zidane looked at Freya, concern written on his face. The others didn't notice the outsider's distress, they were too wrapped up in the big picture.

“This is a problem,” Artania stated as he turned to Cid, “because of the festival, there are hardly any men left in the castle. It will take time to mobilize!”

“We have no choice,” Cid admitted, “we'll have to call back the 4th aerial division patrolling the border.”

“But Cid, We'll lose our eyes over Alexandria if we do that.”

“Burmecia is our ally!” Cid answered with anger, “We must help them.”

“Steeple-crowned hats...” Zidane said, his frown melting when he looked to the Equestrians. He hesitated a moment before continuing. “They must be Black Mages, like what we saw at Dali,” he suggested bitterly.

“No! That's no true!” Spike claimed, having become attached to the Black Mages at Dali, he wouldn't believe the very same ones made there were the ones that were responsible for the blood that lay before him on the ground.

“Could my mother have done this?” Garnet wondered aloud. A troubling silence was born from her question, which was broken by the dragon knight.

“I must go.” Freya stated, looking to the others. “I cannot sit and wait for reinforcements.”

“I'm coming with you,” Zidane proclaimed.

“No, this doesn't concern you.”

“What's this, I'm a stranger all a sudden!?” She looked taken aback by his outburst, and she wasn't alone, Applejack was just as surprised by his swift volunteering. “I'm not gonna sit back and watch your home get destroyed, alright?” Freya took his words in, and gave him a small nod.

“Thank you, Zidane,” she finished, happy that she wasn't going into this alone.

Applejack looked between the two, then the red puddle on the floor. The idea of either of them sharing the fate of the messenger made her heart falter. Blank, petrified in the forest, flashed before her eyes. I, I don't want to lose them! Either of them! She thought as she looked away from the blood, taking in a deep breath.

“I, I wanna help too,” she said as she steeled herself. Freya looked even more surprised at that, and Zidane gave Applejack a weak, almost sad grin. “Yer home needs aid, and I wanna help.”

Applejack was scared, no, she was terrified. This world was dangerous, and it was clear that people kill people here, it was clear to her now more than ever. But still, she considered Freya her friend, after what the two have been through these last two days. And she was going to help her friend. Freya needs all the help she can get if she wants to save her homeland! Applejack knew that this was a dangerous venture, but she refused to abandon Freya, just like she had abandoned Blank. Freya helped her find Pinkie, and Applejack was going to return the gesture.

No one objected to the orange mare helping as she looked towards Pinkie. Applejack was use to going into danger with her friends, but she was unsure if Pinkie would be willing to accompany her on this venture.

Pinkie stood quietly, looking between the others. She looked like she was having a mental conflict, and provided no certain response to the situation. Applejack was worried for her, she's been acting strange, for Pinkie, ever since the mist appeared back in Equestria, and it's only gotten worse since she came to Gaia.

“Alright then,” Garnet let out, a fire in her eyes, “Let's go to Burmecia.” She said it as if it was a foregone conclusion, drawing almost everyone's attention.

“This is a foreign matter Garnet,” Cid admitted, disapproval clearly on his face, “We are not positive if Alexandria is involved.”

“But if Black Mages are involved,” she began, almost pleadingly, “Zidane, Applejack, you know what I'm talking about.” Zidane looked to the princess, considering it for a moment, “If mother is behind all this, I'll make her stop, I promise!” Applejack glanced back to her friends before stepping forward to Garnet.

“I think ya should stay here, princess,” Applejack began, “This is gonna be mighty dangerous, and royalty like yerself should stay away from danger.”

“I agree,” Zidane added, surprising the mare and the princess.

“What? Why!?” Garnet asked indignantly.

“We don't know what to expect there,” Zidane answered firmly, it was clear to Applejack that he wasn't going to give on this matter.

“I've already faced danger coming here! What's the difference!?”

“Dagger, this is war. A lot of people are gonna die,” Zidane replied. War? What is war? Applejack thought, her eyes falling back to the red puddle as she swallowed back her growing fear.

“I know that!” Garnet shouted, clearly not happy being treated like a child.

“How did you feel when you saw the Burmecian solder die, just now?” Zidane asked.

“I felt sad, of course.” Garnet hesitatingly answered, unsure where his question was leading.

“Just sad? Weren't you scared, too?” He asked as he shook his head, “Obviously, you haven't realized how dangerous it's gonna be. You could get killed. This is no time to be talking about convincing your mother of anything.”

Applejack looked to him, his words seeming to make the danger she pictured seem more real to her. She could get killed, we could get killed. I'm not some coward, I've been close to losin' my life already in this world. I'm not gonna cower now, not when a friend needs me! But Spike, this is too much for him. And maybe too much fer Pinkie. This could even be too much for me! She glanced to them briefly, before turning to her two friends.

“Spike, Pinkie, what do ya think?” The orange mare asked her friends. She had already agreed to help, but she needed to know what they intended.

“If you're going, I'm going too,” Pinkie replied, but it lacked the bouncing energy her words always carried. She was just as scared as Applejack, but she was also the element of laughter, “Sounds like they're gonna need somepony to bring the smiles in Burmecia,” She finished weakly, avoiding Applejack's gaze as she eyed the floor.

“I'm coming too,” Spike added, “I want to make sure it's not Black Mages, that it's some big misunderstanding.” While the mares were afraid, Spike was angry. And that made Applejack pause.

No, what we're heading towards is more than just dangerous, what we'll find in Burmecia is something we'll never find in Equestria. I can't expose Spike to that. It was more than just the danger, she felt that something important would be lost if Spike went with them. She also doubted Twilight would ever forgive her for letting Spike waltz into such danger.

“I'm sorry sugarcube, but yer stayin' here, where it's safe.”

“What? Why!?” He shouted, mirroring Garnets outburst. Applejack looked to Zidane, their eyes met, and Zidane saw what she wanted from him. She doubted she could convince Spike to stay, but she knew Zidane could pull it off.

“Because someone needs to stay with the Princess.” Zidane answered as he knelt down to Spike, “And I can't think of anyone better suited than the Master Hunter.”

Applejack hid her shame as Zidane smoothed things over for her. Her honesty was her pride, but right now, it would only put Spike in danger. She didn't want Spike to go with them to spare him from Burmecia, but if she told him that, it would hurt his feelings, and make him only more curious. Zidane's reasons for him to stay were less painful, and this time, Applejack took solace in it. Spike took in Zidane's words, and reluctantly accepted them.

“Well, alright, I'll stay with the princess. But you all better come back alright!” He ordered of them.

“I'm not staying,” Garnet interjected, “I'm going with you!”

“That will be enough, now's not the time to argue,” Cid said, breaking up the discussion.

“He's right," Freya said, “We must head out at once. Come, let's go.”

“W-wait!” Garnet said, stopping Freya from leaving, “If it's really that dangerous, shouldn't you at least enjoy the feast before leaving? You don't know when the next time such a meal will be available.”

“We don't have time for a victory meal, my homeland is in grave trouble!” Freya shouted, forgetting that she was talking to royalty.

“You may as well," Artania suggested, "We had to close the Dragon's Gate for the festival, it'll take some time to open it again. The monsters at the base become agitated during the festival." Everyone but Garnet shared a reluctant look, but decided to take part in the feast, as they couldn't leave just yet, even though they wanted too.

On the floor below the royal chamber was a large dining hall, with a table buried in all manner of food, and to the ponies' disgust, a good amount of meat was on it. Thankfully, a number of plants were also arranged for them.

Freya was reluctant to partake, and Applejack wasn't hungry, considering what just happened, but at Zidane's insistence, they all partook of the meal. Well, besides Spike, he was feasting on his new cache of gemstones. It was a quiet dinner, no one wanted to talk about what happened, or what was going to happen, as the air was heavy with worry.

As Applejack noticed that the princess wasn't eating, Applejack started to feel sleepy. She saw the regent fall over, passing out, as well as Freya and Zidane. Pinkie didn't seem to be succumbing to the same fatigue that was washing over the orange mare. Then she saw Pinkie twitch and pass out unexpectedly. The last thing Applejack saw as she tried her hardest to keep her eyes open, was an apologetic look from Garnet as Spike looked at the others, confused.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ATE: The Garnet and the Dragon
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Applejack, Pinkie!?” Spike said in alarm as he tried to stir his friends.

“They're okay Spike, it's just sleeping weed, they'll be up before long,” Garnet assured.

“What? Princess, you do this?” Seeing her nod, he looked to her, confused, “But why? They're our friends!”

“Because, I need to stop this war, and they won't trust me, trust us, to be able to pull it off. Come on Spike, let's go, before they wake up.” Spike stood there unsure what he should do. His eyes looked to Applejack, then Zidane. He said that I needed to protect the princess while they're gone. If she's leaving, then I have to follow her! He realized as determination lit up his face.

“Okay! You lead, and I'll follow,” Spike said, he had a task to follow through, and he wasn't going to let his friends down. He was the Master Hunter after all, and the princesses' assistant. He didn't know anything about wars or how to stop them, but he trusted that Garnet had a plan. He also saw another adventure ahead of him, this time just him and the princess, and he was certain he could pull it off. We were going to split up anyway, so this should be fine. He thought as he left a note for the others, and departed with Garnet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Applejack stirred from her plant induced sleep before the others did. She saw that Garnet and Spike were gone, and it wasn't that hard for her to put the pieces together. She moved to wake the others, while doing so, she saw a note left on the table. Seeing Spike's signature at the bottom, she quickly looked over it.

'Dear friends, the princess has decided to take matters in her own hands and is going to stop the war. As her assistant and protector, I'll be accompanying her. Please be safe, and I hope we'll be seeing each other again soon.' -Spike

Applejack was slammed the ground with her hoof. She adopted a glare, but didn't know who it was intended for. Spike for not stopping the princess. The princess for not trusting their words on the matter. Or herself for not being able to stop them from doing something as foolish as running off to tackle this by themselves. Zidane saw the letter and read it aloud for everyone else. After finishing he crumpled it up.

“Tch, It was the sleeping weed I gave her, said she was having trouble resting. She got us good.” He said, both frustrated and impressed.

“She got it from ya?” Applejack asked, trying not to let her anger be vented against Zidane.

“I gotta say,” Freya said, “I'm impressed. There's more to her than meets the eye.”

“Just what is she thinking!?” Zidane exclaimed as he looked to Applejack and Freya, “They must have gone to Burmecia.”

“If you head out now, you might be able to catch up to her!” Cid suggested worriedly.

“If she's heading to Burmecia,” the dragon knight explained, “she'll have to pass through Gizamaluke's Grotto, once through, she'll be in my home nation.”

“The gate must be open by now <gwok>.”

“In that case, let's get a move on!” Applejack said as she made for the exit, but paused when she saw Pinkie. The pink mare seemed at odds with herself. It got Zidane's attention, he quickly glanced back to Applejack before approaching Pinkie.

“What's wrong Pinkie, do you want to stay here?” He asked her calmly, as if he was walking on eggshells. She looked at him, confused. She then shook her head.

“I said I was going to go help them smile, and that's what this Pinkie is gonna do~” she said half excitedly. What is wrong with her? I'm scared too, but our friends are in trouble!

“Maybe you should stay put,” Freya suggested, “I don't think war is someplace a pony like you should be around.”

“I'll be an okay alright just fine pony. Okay?” She replied, trying to bring back her usual enthusiasm. “Staying put here isn't helping anypony, not even me. So I'm going too, and don't try to make me stay like Spikey, you saw how that turned out~” she finished, almost singing out the end of her sentence. “I'll be super duper, because I'll be with my friends!” She concluded, settling the matter. Applejack still saw the uncertainty in her eyes, but trusted her decision.

“Alight then, let's move!” Applejack ordered, and the four of them moved to leave the city behind them, off to Gizamaluke's Grotto.


~~~~~~~~~~~
Moogle Notes:
~~~~~~~~~~~

'Howdy Equestrian, Mois the moogle here with more tid-bits about Gaia!'

'If you're curious, Spike was given seven Ore, two Garnets, two Amethysts, and three Rubies.'

'The wounded soldier arrived by boat, he wouldn't have made it on foot otherwise. The Dragon's Gate was closed for the festival, so he wouldn't have been able to deliver his message had he arrived to the city on foot.'

'I fell asleep from the food too, but Spike carried me till I woke up. Wasn't that nice of him! Kupo~'

'...poor Burmecia...'

~~~~~~~~

Applejack

~~~~~~~~

Items Equipped:

Iron Sword: Minus Strike

Applejack's Hat: Applebuck(mastered)

Iron Scabbard: Bird Killer

Elem-Def: Thunder damage reduced by 50%

Basic Barding: Hog Tie(mastered)

Leather Saddlebag: Hog Tie(mastered), Antibody

Elem-Def: Earth damage reduced by 50%

Lvl-9 HP 454/454 MP 36/36

AP 4/21

*Bird Killer (3) - Deals lethal damage to flying enemies.

*Beast Killer (4) - Deals lethal damage to beasts.

*Antibody (4) - Prevents Poison and Venom.

*Cover(6) - You take damage in place of an ally.

Abilities:

Apple Arts:

Applebuck 12 MP - High chance of removing an enemy from battle.

Apple Toss 8 MP - Restores HP of single target, Cures Doom and Trouble.

Hog Tie 8 Mp - Traps single target, causes Applebuck to do high damage.

Sword Arts:

Minus Strike 8 MP - Damages with the difference between your max HP and current HP

Author's Note:

And so everything takes a turn for the bad.
Have a muffin as an apology.

Thank you for gouging your eyes out over this story!
And Big thanks for OCisbestpony for that thing he does that makes this story a little less bad. :twilightsheepish: