• Published 17th Oct 2014
  • 2,930 Views, 164 Comments

The Ninth Fantasy - Gaia - MrAlterad



Spike, Applejack and Pinkie Pie find themselves in a world connected to Equestria, a world called Gaia. Follow them in this FFIX crossover where the fate of two worlds rests in their claws and hoofs.

  • ...
4
 164
 2,930

23. Good Night

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ATE: The Dragon and the Bird
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spike took his eyes away from the river to look at the stone tablet Choco had dug up in the forest. Mene, Choco's moogle friend, called it a 'Chocograph', an old map etched in stone that revealed where treasure lay buried.

If I'm reading this old thing right, it should be around here somewhere. He wasn't too far from the chocobo's forest, and he was with Choco. They had spent some time digging around in the forest, and Spike was surprised and excited by all the things buried in there. From gil to powerful restoration items, finding treasure with Choco was proving lucrative. I wonder if this treasure comes from the same place as the gil and items monsters 'drop' when we slay them? He wondered as he once again eyed the landscape.

“Let's try around here,” Spike suggested. Choco chirped and pecked the ground, then shook her head. So she didn't feel any treasure nearby when she pecked the dirt. Well, if not here, maybe it's on the beach? Spike wondered as he looked off towards the sea.

Right before a certain moogle could get close enough to get Spike's attention, he and Choco sprinted off towards the ocean. The moogle let out a sigh and went after them as fast as she could fly. They stopped where the river met the sea, and they tried again.

“Kweeeeh~!”

All right! We're pretty close! And Choco moved to where she felt the treasure was, and started to dig. One large hole in the sand later, and they had pulled out a treasure chest. Spike couldn't stop himself and dove off Choco into the old wooden box. The wood was still sturdy, but didn't stand a chance against the dragon's curiosity. Opening it revealed two pairs of well made boots, as well as some healing items, and magic replenishing ether!

“This is officially awesome!” Spike joyfully declared. He was worried that the treasure would be old, musty and beyond useful, but that wasn't the case at all. Choco let out a cry of agreement as Spike looked back in the direction of chocobo forest. Before he and Choco could speed off to return and dig for more chocographs, Mois cried out to them.

“Oh, hi Mois!” Spike said, surprised by her quick return. “Let me guess, they want me to come back?” He asked with a frown.

“Nope!” Mois was happy to reply, “They hope to see you soon, and asked that you be safe during your treasure hunt. Pinkie and Zidane were very understanding about it, and they won Applejack around.” Spike was a little surprised by that. He had expected them to order him to join up with the party.

Being trusted to be alone made him happier than he realized he would be. “Here, the princess wanted me to give this to you. Said it will protect you from magic.” She added as she gave him a very fancy magical ring. “She also wanted me to say 'Thank you for helping me get to Alexandria'.” Now Spike was starting to feel guilty. He decided to avoid returning to prove a point and get them some treasure, but now he had treasure, and no point to prove, apparently.

“Um, where are they?” He sheepishly asked the moogle as he eyed the ring, feeling the power within it.

“Lindblum!” She replied with enthusiasm, though she didn't have the heart to tell him what became of the city. He thought for a minute before coming to a decision.

“Let's get to the forest as soon as possible. I want to dig up as many chocographs as we can before tomorrow.”

“Kweh?” Choco asked, having an idea of what Spike intended.

“Yea, tomorrow we're heading to Lindblum. Finding treasure is more fun when you can share it with your friends.” He claimed, remembering a certain fire ruby with a faint smile as they ran off towards chocobo forest, leaving Mois to catch up, unintentionally.

Spike was happy that they trusted him. He knew they found his power helpful, he simply wanted some acknowledgment. He was still homesick, and missed the others back home, especially Twilight, and though he may not be able to do anything about that, the least he could do was be with Applejack and Pinkie Pie. Maybe after I show them what I found, they'll want to join me in some treasure finding! He thought, before realizing something, or maybe, they've already got another adventure in mind! Spike realized that if that was the case, he'd be left out because he refused to head back. He certainly hoped that wasn't going to be the case.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The sun was going to set soon. Applejack had something she wanted to take care of before it was too late, so she left the others to helping rebuild while she headed to the back end of the business district. She wanted to talk to Torres, the blacksmith. Reaching the smithery, she found someone else running the furnace. The young man noticed her and greeted her.

“Greetings, sorry,” he said, speaking out of routine, “but we cannot make anything for you. We're backlogged on building requests, but-”

“Where's Torres?” Applejack asked with concern. Oh please don't tell me he perished during the attack!

“Ah, I know that voice,” a gravelly old voice replied. Torres came out of the nearby home, his hands were completely bandaged up, and when she saw Applejack take notice of them, he said, “Ah, this? One of the Black Mages wanted to destroy my furnace, I persuaded them to do otherwise. But don't you worry about me. Did you happen to change your mind?” His question drew Applejack away from the dark place her thoughts were wandering at seeing his wounded hands.

“About my hat?” And he nodded. Applejack took off her hat. It was really looking rough. There were knicks in the rim, and slight burns from the fight's with the Black Waltz's. She looked at its worn state, smiling to herself. We're practically the same. Cut, burned, and scarred. It's been with her through so much, she never wanted to part with it. Her defeat at Beatrix's hands flashed in her mind. She needed to be stronger, tougher, more determined. If I want to protect the others, the least I can do is ensure I'm properly equipped to handle it. She looked to Torres, but she couldn't say the words she wanted too. She paused and took several deep breaths before saying what she needed to say.

“I want ya to- to make this, better,” She managed to get out. Her chest ached at the idea of changing up her hat. She saw it as an extension of herself, and choosing to change it meant changing herself as well. “Ya said ya can, though I can see yer injured. Can he?” She asked as she looked to the young man, who was looking to Torres. Torres considered Applejack for a moment before nodding.

“This hat is important to you. It's obvious, and I can respect that. I just wish I could work it myself.” He admitted as he turned to the young man. “Wayne, get out the mythril ring. Let's get to work!”

“But what about the backlog?” He asked with some concern.

“She was on the list before all this! Now get it going!” Torres barked out, then turned to Applejack, “Give me a moment, I have some of that armor I promised you.” He then appraised what she was wearing. “We can also do something about your other items, assuming you can afford it.”

“Is that also part of me being ahead of the backlog?” Applejack asked suspiciously. She did want better equipment, and understood it was going towards defeating Kuja, which was in everyone's best interests. But she still didn't like the idea of putting her possessions before others.

“Well, we've heard that you and your friends have been busting your... tails, fixing the buildings around here. It's the least we can do to bump you to the top of the list.” Applejack was thankful for his generosity, she hadn't wanted to use the letter Cid gave them for this situation. Considering his generosity, she didn't feel stingy with her funds. They already had plenty of healing items, so she gave him all of the gil she had.

“Do whacha can with that, an' keep the rest, 'kay?” She asked, and smiled at the surprise he showed. He nodded and he helped Wayne, who Applejack guessed was his son. She had basically given them everything she wore and asked them to make it better, and she knew it would take a while. Despite that, she stayed, keeping an eye on her beloved hat, and waiting to see what the craftsmen would do to it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ATE: The Dragon and the Wolf
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Freya shattered the lock with her spear, much to Marcus's disappointment, the jail cell key he got from Spike earlier in his hands, still unused. The knight within stared at her, unwilling to leave despite freedom being offered.

“Well?” Freya asked, “Are you just going to sit there and wait for the queen to execute you?”

“Princess Garnet was saved,” Beatrix admitted, “but I betrayed the queen in the process, this is my punishment.” She sat in her cell, even without her armor, she held an air of strength about her, and dignity and pride still radiated from her. Still, the cell did not suite the former general.

“It appears she intends to sit and wait.” Blank commented, “A real shame, she's quite the looker.” His voice carried a mix of sarcasm, and concern.

“That's the former general of Alexandria your referring to,” Marcus commented, absolutely doubting that Blank had a chance with her. Freya had filled in both of the members of Tantalus concerning the events that transpired over the last few days as they helped her recover from her wounds. She remembered Spike mentioning Marcus when they went to save the princess, and since they saved her, it was the least she could do.

“That damn queen of yours has killed too many.” Freya declared, “And I am not letting her kill you too. You owe my people an apology, and you can't do that if you're dead.”

“And then what, be tormented by the survivors of Burmecia?” When the queen capture her, Brahne had Beatrix's armor and weapon removed, her title abandoned, and her deeds as a distinguished soldier abolished. Brahne had dealt her the greatest shame she could have, and it weighed heavily on her. Settling debts to the dragon knight was far removed from her intentions. She was a wounded wolf, waiting to be put down.

“Look, Beatrix.” Freya continued, “You say you've saved the princess? She isn't saved until the queen is removed from the throne. If the knight of Alexandria won't even ensure that, than your betrayal to the queen meant nothing.” Freya moved to Marcus and took the blade out of the pile of Beatrix's possessions he held and tossed it to her feet. The gem encrusted blade let out a low ring as it hit the floor, as if crying for its owner. “Die with honor, or save your kingdom, either way, take up your blade.”

Beatrix, the former general, and strongest swordswoman of Alexandria, eyed her blade. 'Save the Queen' the blade entrusted to the most noble, most capable of knights in Alexandria, an old blade carried by the kingdom's strongest for over eight hundred years, and it was kept with her possessions. The queen didn't even lock the blade away in the royal vault. The queen didn't see the sentimentality or symbolism of the weapon, like she once had. The queen only cared for power now, and Beatrix now knew that Brahne would be willing to sacrifice Alexandria itself for power.

“What are you waiting for?” Freya asked as she knelt down to look Beatrix in the eye. “Did you forget what Applejack said? You agreed to seeing me to Lindblum, and apologizing to my people. Are you going to make good on that, or not?” Her words reminded Beatrix of Applejack's tears after she defeated her, and the look she gave Beatrix after fleeing with the princess. The fire she had seen in the mare's eyes was born from not giving up, and if Applejack could manage that after such a crushing defeat, then so could Beatrix.

She eyed her sword. One day, Garnet would be the queen, and she would need a knight to keep her safe. With Steiner gone, there were none in Alexandria that fit the mettle besides her. Well, unless Applejack became a knight of Alexandria that is. Still, she knew what she needed to do. She swallowed her pride, and hoped that when the dust settled, it would be better off for it, as she grabbed her sword, and got up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

She hoped they had helped themselves to her gil. For she was very surprised, and happy with the job they had done on her hat. It practically looked brand new, only with several additions. It sported a blue metal rim which made the hat significantly less flexible, and there was also a blue metal band around the center of the dome. That was just from the visible part, looking at the underside of the hat revealed how much effort had gone into it. The inside was lined with a metal frame that connected to the topside rings. The hat was now noticeably heavy, it was practically a mythril helm shaped like her hat.

Putting it on, the added weight felt awkward, and it weighed on her mane. It was rigid, but also amazingly sturdy, and she felt several abilities within that she was not familiar with. Then she saw, to her surprise, that her sword had been replace as well. Everything she had worn was replaced, which made her turn to the smiths in concern.

“Isn't this a bit much? Did my gil really cover all this?” She asked as she appraised the blade, it was cold, almost freezing to touch, it was made of silver metal that bore a blue-ish hue, mythril.

“Oh, it was more than enough,” Torres assured. “The worth of what we worked on was half of what you gave, so I figured giving you this rare blade my family has kept would be worth the remaining cost.” Applejack looked to him wide-eyed upon hearing that.

“If it's a family heirloom, ya should keep it,” Applejack was quick to reply. Family possessions should stay in the family.

“Now don't be that way," Torres chided. “We're smiths, we make weapons, but we don't really wield them.” He carefully picked the blade, presenting it to her, “I suspect this sword will be better for everyone in Lindblum while it's in your hands, erm, hooves. The sword is special, it can freeze your foes, slowing them down, or outright encasing them in ice.”

That's incredible! Applejack eyed the blade, such a weapon would be a boon to her, she couldn't deny that. Well, it would be rude of me to deny his generosity.

“Well, thanks!” She replied gratefully as she picked up the blade from him, seeing dew fall from the chill it generated, “Does it have a name?” A weapon like this has to have a name, it was an heirloom, after all.

“I've long since forgotten it's name, but I often refer to it as an Ice Brand,” Torres replied without hesitation.

“Well, In that case, Ice Brand will do just fine. Torres looked at the blade, nodding his head as he showed her how to put on her new armor. Graciously thanking him for his aid, she wished them the best of luck and returned to the others, feeling a lot heavier, but more secure. Her new equipment was riddled with new powers she couldn't wait to master, and she returned to the others smiling.

“Wow~! It's like your a walking tank!” Pinkie exclaimed when she saw Applejack, and the mare blushed at the compliment. Pinkie had been helping with the construction as much as Applejack and Zidane had, but Pinkie's efforts were spent on painting the repaired structures all manner of bright colors, and her new robe was a mess for her efforts.

“You're looking pretty sure of yourself,” Zidane admitted, giving her a sly smile, “glad to see it. A smiling Applejack is a lot better than a normal Applejack.”

“Well, pardon me if there isn't too much to smile about.” Applejack said with mock annoyance, “Shouldn't ya be gettin' some sleep fer tomorrow?”

“Right baack at you~!” Pinkie exclaimed. “Thought I'll be a little honest. I'm very sleepy right now~.” She said, giving her friends a light smile. They were happy with the work they did today, they had helped a good number of the people smile, despite the destruction around them.

“I think she's right,” Dagger said, appraising how tired her friends looked, “we should call it a night. We have an early day tomorrow.” Getting an argument from no one, they went to the inn and rested there. Dagger joined them as well, and they all got a good nights rest within the occupied city.


~~~~~~~~~~~
Moogle Notes:
~~~~~~~~~~~

'Howdy Equestrian, Mois the moogle here with more tid-bits about Gaia!'

'Applejack's new sword can freeze enemies! Enemies suffering from Freeze are frozen solid, and perish if someone breaks them while frozen. A terrible fate!'

'Spike always forgets to let me ride with him when he's zipping around on Choco!'

~~~~~~~~

Applejack

~~~~~~~~

Items Equipped: *New Items Acquired*

*Ice Brand: Mental Break

Deals Ice damage, Add ST: Freeze.

*AJ's Mythril Hat: Round-Up!, Long Reach, Ability Up

*Mythril Scabbard: MP Attack, Counter

*Iron Barding: Add Status, Bug Killer

*Mythril Reinforced Saddlebag: Apple-cider, HP+10%

Lvl-18 HP 1078/1078 MP 58/58

AP 0/26

Beast Killer (4) - Deals lethal damage to beasts.

Bug Killer (2) - Deals lethal damage to insects.

*Bird Killer (3) - Deals lethal damage to flying enemies.

Antibody (4) - Prevents Poison and Venom.

*Cover(6) - You take damage in place of an ally

*Ability up (3) - Characters learn abilities faster.

Long Reach (16) - Back row attacks like front row.

*Counter (8) - Counter-attacks when physically attacked.

*Add Status (3) - Adds weapon's status effect when you attack.

MP Attack (5) - Uses own MP to raise Attack Pwr.

*HP+10% (4) - Increases HP by 10%.

Abilities:

Apple Arts:

Applebuck 12 MP - High chance of removing an enemy from battle.

Apple Toss 8 MP - Restores HP of single target, Cures Doom and Trouble.

Hog Tie 8 Mp - Traps single target, causes Applebuck to do high damage.

Round-Up! 16 MP - A group of enemies count as a single enemy for a short duration.

Apple-cider 2 MP - Lures the target to attacking only you.

Sword Arts:

Minus Strike 8 MP - Damages with the difference between your max HP and current HP.

Armor Break 4 MP - Reduces the enemy's Defense.

Mental Break 8 MP - Reduces the enemy's Magic Defense.

Author's Note:

So basically it's a chapter about loot? Now that the party is about to leave mist continent behind, the story's city destroying ways get to take a back seat for a while. Which is nice.

Save the Queen

Ice Brand
Thanks again for reading my story, its a lot of words, so thanks!