• Published 17th Oct 2014
  • 2,930 Views, 164 Comments

The Ninth Fantasy - Gaia - MrAlterad



Spike, Applejack and Pinkie Pie find themselves in a world connected to Equestria, a world called Gaia. Follow them in this FFIX crossover where the fate of two worlds rests in their claws and hoofs.

  • ...
4
 164
 2,930

15. Kingdom of Burmecia

Freya hesitated as the others approached the front gate to Burmecia. The gate was open, signs of a recent battle were everywhere, but the army that brought this destruction was nowhere to be seen. The soldiers they had saved from the grotto stayed back at the party's insistence. They would clear the way if needed, and the soldiers would watch their backs. Seeing Freya pause, Zidane addressed the dragon knight.

“What's the hold up?” After all the need for arriving as soon as possible, it was strange for her to stop at the front door. Freya looked at the city she grew up in. She left her home five years ago to find her beloved. She had dreamed of returning here with him by her side. Now, it all lay in ruin.

“It's been five years, I- I've been away for so long.” She said weakly as she looked over her city, “Not a night went by when I didn't dream about home.” She couldn't bring herself to return alone, she had been avoiding Burmecia, for so long. “I can't believe I'm here,” she whispered as she knelt down, weighed down by her regret as the rain washed away her tears. The home she dreamed of, was nothing better than a grave now, a marker for the country named Burmecia. Looking at the ruins, she shook her head, and brushed her eyes. She was here now, she needed to act, not wallow in regret.

“I, I'm no longer the selfish child I was five years ago,” she got on her feet, a fire in her eyes, her heart beating with the determination of a warrior. “The time has come to serve my kingdom, as a Burmecian dragon knight, once again!” Her home lay in ruin, but it could be avenged, and there were survivors. There must be survivors! she thought as Zidane nodded, along with the ponies.

“I'll help, with all I've got.” Zidane assured.

Freya marveled at her companions. Zidane, Applejack, and even Pinkie, they risked their lives to help save her people. They understood the risks, and it was painful for the mares, and yet, they persevered. Even now, they saw the fire burning in Freya's heart, and they took that fire upon themselves. Truly, Freya had managed to surround herself with good people, even if by chance.

Some sort of solidarity radiated from Zidane. He was upset, and sad at what was happening around him, and his companions, but he never let it drag him down, he never let it stay his stride. His insistence to help Freya, in and of itself, helped her greatly. She wouldn't have made it to Burmecia without his encouragement, and even now, he was pushing her forward.

“We came all this way,” Applejack began, with a kind smile, “and we'll keep goin' till yer people are safe from this 'war'.”

The orange mare was something of a knight in training, Freya couldn't help but feel some sort of kinship with her. She was proud, noble, and honest, the elements any aspiring knight would need, and she had it in spades. Though her sword work was sloppy, her heart was in the right place. She sought to protect her friends, and even more.

She would have helped me, even if I hadn't helped her find Pinkie.

“I know asking for a smile right now would be pushing it,” Pinkie said, “but I won't give up! I'll give all of me and offer it to making you and your people smile, Freya-meya! I'm gonna help save all we can, and make a biiiig welcome home party when your schedule is clear for it! So let's do this thing~!”

Pinkie was an oddity, and Freya hoped that Applejack was closer to the norm for ponies. Ever since she met the mare, she was unable to pin just what kind of pony she was. She was constantly shifting between an aggressive fighter, an overbearing party maker, and a sad, on the verge of tears pony. Despite the sadness Pinkie has displayed, she still tries to make the others smile.

Freya couldn't offer her what she wanted, but the others had. For Freya, that was good enough for the strange pony. It would probably take a miracle to make me smile so soon after this, but I hope she's the one that gives it to me, should it happen. She at least deserves that. Freya thought to herself. She found Pinkie annoying, but she respected her aid, and her means of finding happiness.

“Let's go,” Zidane said as he entered the city, the others in tow. As Freya followed, she looked again at the ruin in front of her, and despair started to chip at the fire burning in her chest. Just what can I do for my kingdom? She then shook her head, This is not the time for such thoughts.

Wandering through the city, they made their way to the palace. The city was riddled with monsters, and there was no sign of any survivors, only the remains of the victims welcomed their search. Freya felt a stab of guilt as she saw her pony companions doing their best to avoid looking at the fallen.

They shouldn't have been exposed to this. They should have stayed safe and happy in their own world. Just what brought them here? She wondered as they passed a wrecked home to the royal palace. One of the balcony doors opened to reveal the blue jester Freya attacked earlier. Seeing them instantly summoned up her anger as she glared at them.

“It is them again!” He shouted in alarm, and another balcony door opened, revealing the red one, to no ones surprise. The two might as well be one person with two bodies.

“Most persistent, they are!” The red jester said.

“Black mages!” They shouted in unison, and a pair of Black Mages came out of the building, jumping down and attacking the party. Once again, the four of them made short work of the Black Mages. All the battles between leaving Lindblum and now had empowered the group, nothing was going to stop them. With the mages dispatched, the group looked back at the pesky jesters.

“The general will punish you for this!” The blue one claimed, glaring down at the party.

“Yes! Very scary, it is, when the general gets mad!” The red one assured as they fled into the room the balcony was connected to. Freya jumped up to the balcony to pursue them, but they had seemly vanished, the room was a dead end.

What trickery is this! Those scum! Freya thought as she glowered over the room, as if it was to blame.

During her glowering, she noticed a wounded soldier in the room. Moving to his side, he gave her a bell that unlocked the Protection gate, without provocation. His wounds were grave, and she found it worth parting with the healing Elixir Zidane had 'acquired' from Gizamaluke to save his life. Drinking the rare concoction, his wounds were sealed immediately as his eyes opened in surprise. Thanking Freya, she directed him to the other soldiers from the grotto. They had finally saved someone in Burmecia, and she hoped he wouldn't be the last.

Moving on to the Protection gate, which separated the palace from the city, the group encountered a dragon monster known as a Ironite. Before it could be dispatched, it had let loose a breath of fire on everyone. It wasn't as harming as the monster had hoped, and in fact, Pinkie thought to show it up by returning the attack with that versatile cannon she uses.

Shooting out a large gout of fire, the Ironite was burnt into mist, and Pinkie let out a whoop with its defeat. They reached the gate shortly afterwards, and Freya used the bell, which granted them entry.

The palace is just up ahead... Freya thought as she looked up the staircase waiting for them on the other side of the gate. The others began to ascend, but halted when they saw Freya stay behind, turning their attention to her.

“Zidane,” she began, “Burmecia's royal palace is beyond these steps. It... must be in ruins, just like everything else. I, I can't bear to see it like that,” she admitted as she eyed her feet apprehensively.

“I understand,” Zidane said as he moved to her, a sad expression on his face, “but we can't go back now. We have to find out who's behind this. We have to move forward.”

“I get how ya feel sugarcube,” Applejack said, “but we gotta keep movin'. Sittin' still in the mud isn't gonna do anypony any good.” Pinkie nodded in agreement.

“Look, these two have been down since we arrived,” Zidane said as he looked over his Equestrian friends, “they're troubled too. But we have to face reality, we need to see what's become of the palace.”

“Let's go, together.” Pinkie began as she put a hoof on Freya's shoulder, “We can do it if we do it together~,” she solemnly assured the dragon knight. The two were looking down, but it wasn't as bad as when they entered the grotto, the fighting was a good distraction from their emotions.

“You guys,” Freya started, fighting the sting in her eyes. “I'm sorry I let you accompany me here. I said I wasn't that selfish child anymore, and here I am, being scared to move forward, while you two have been scared since we left Lindblum. Thank you.”

She surprised them by giving them both a very short hug, she would never be able to repay them for their kindness, but her affection was at least a start. “You're right Pinkie, let's go, together.” She was the knight of this group, she needed to be strong, even now, even if her heart broke from what lies past the long climb before them.

“Someone's coming!” Zidane said in alarm as the sound of footsteps approached them. The group lowered their guard when they saw it was a small group of Burmecians. A soldier, a mother, and two children. The soldier caught sight of the dragon knight and was overcome with surprise.

“F-Freya!?” He asked in confusion.

“Dan!? It's good to see you!” Freya exclaimed, her mood changing for the better seeing that someone she knew survived this destruction.

“Damn, I haven't seen you in years! Where have you been!?” He asked, his voice laced with concern and worry. He then shook his head, “This isn't the best time to talk. We need to get out of here!”

“Back a ways is a small group of fellow soldiers,” Applejack informed, “they'll protect yer kin.” Dan nodded to the mare and moved past the group, and realizing he wasn't being followed, turned around to address Freya.

“You're not coming with us?” He asked, “The place is swarming with Black Mages!”

“I need to see who's behind this,” Freya claimed, then her eyes suddenly widened. “The king! Do you know what's become of him?” Dan shook his head.

“I don't know, I didn't see him at the palace.” He then gave Freya a quick salute, “I'm leaving with my family, you should go as well.” With that, Dan and his family left. Freya considered his words a moment before turning to the others.

“I am a dragon knight of Burmecia. I will protect my home and my king at any cost. I've spent too much time chasing a ghost, when I should have been here when all this happened.” She then turned around, looking up the climb. “Let's go to the palace, see what we can learn.”

Freya saw her friends give her an assuring nod, each of them giving her a smile. Yes, they're my friends. I'm lucky to have them. She thought as she began the climb.

Reaching the top, they found themselves on the palace grounds. Decorative stone paths and murals lay damaged, marred, scorched. Scattered through the ruins, they found more survivors, and directed them to the others. They also found a moogle that was helping the survivors, and after obtaining new weapons from the moogle, they directed it to join the others behind them.

Pinkie got a new slew of 'ammo' while Freya got a stronger spear made of mythril. Zidane got a double sword, a weapon with two blades, one on opposite sides of the handle. He chose it over his daggers because it was less flimsy, and he was certain he needed something sturdy for what lay ahead.

Reaching the palace courtyard, its state was revealed to all. Half of the palace was collapsed, the forty-foot tall statues standing guard in a ring around it were crumbled under destructive attacks. The remains of several Burmecian airships littered the area. Smoke was billowing out of the palace as Freya took in the scene in shock. Zidane continued forward, breaking the spell that fell over her, and she followed after.

Climbing to the palace gates, the group came upon a grisly scene. At least twenty dragon knights lay before the gates, all were slain by a blade, no evidence was present to suggest the Black Mages had a part in it. Zidane took it all in, eyeing the ruins and the bodies.

“This... is just terrible," he admitted as he kicked the ground, his voice laced with anger, "I'm sorry Freya, but by the looks of this, I don't think the king made it.” Freya couldn't deny the strong likelihood of it being true, and the thought of it brought her to her knees. “I don't know what to tell you,” he said weakly, “we can only hope he escaped during the chaos.” Freya sat there, thoughts running through her head faster then she could catch them.

Where is the king? Could he have gone to Lindblum? Cleyra? Where are the rest of the dragon knights? Her thoughts were interrupted by the sound of voices. Somewhere within the palace, someone was talking. Hope that it was the king, or anger that it was the enemy, she didn't know which compelled her, as she quickly jumped up atop a statue to a platform she could get into the palace from.

“Freya!?” Zidane and Applejack asked in alarm.

“There's someone inside the palace. What are you waiting for!? Get up here!” She replied. Not waiting for her friends to catch up, she went inside the palace and when she noticed it wasn't Burmecians talking, jumped down to the palace's ground floor, took cover behind a decorative statue, and listened in. Shortly after getting into position, Zidane joined her side.

“Who's that?” Zidane asked as the looked into the center of the palace. In front of the throne was a large blue skinned woman, next to her was a female soldier with a silver eye-patch. “Isn't that the Queen Brahne and her general?” Freya could almost feel the fur on the back of her neck stand up as she stared at Brahne.

“I knew that wicked queen was behind all this!” Freya said, anger hissing through her words.

“What do you mean, 'you knew'?”

“I heard rumors that Brahne had set her sights on Burmecia before the festival began. When the messenger came to Cid, I knew she was behind it.”

“The queen...” he said as he took in the woman next to Brahne, “That woman standing next to her must be Beatrix.” Freya looked to Zidane in surprise.

She's Beatrix? The cold blooded knight who knows no mercy?” Freya had heard that name before. The day Sir Fratley left Burmecia. He left to become stronger, stronger then Beatrix. Now he was gone, along with her nation.

That woman! She's taken away everything that's made me happy! Freya thought as her anger shifted over to the general.

“Are you alright?” Zidane asked, concerned by her expression.

“I'm fine,” she lied, “I was just thinking about the past.” Zidane considered her a second, giving her a sidelong glance before nodding.

“Fratley? You still can't get over him, huh?” He said enviously, then noticed someone approaching the queen and general, “Well, that's a new face.” Zidane admitted as he took in the stranger.

The man had long white hair and a strangely revealing get up; a white robe, he wore no pants, and yet wore metal greaves. His attire almost looked like something a noble would wear, but it was far too outlandish. They both quieted down as they worked to listen in on the schemes of their enemies.

“I find this rain quite pleasant,” the mystery man admitted, taking in the rain with a sadistic smile as he said it. “It feels as though the raindrops are blessing our victory.”

“This truly is a great victory for us!”Queen Brahne declared, “Kuja, your Black Mages made this entire conquest so simple. Now if only we could find the King of Burmecia!"

The king is still alive! Freya thought as Brahne continued, unaware of the observers.

"We must take care of him once and for all, and prevent these rats from ever rising up again.” She turned to Beatrix, “What's taking so long!?”

“I don't know, your Majesty.” Beatrix cooly replied, “I've ordered Zorn and Thorn to search the perimeter, but there's been no word so far. I will join them and lead the search right away!"

“You're wasting your time,” Kuja interjected.

What?” Beatrix asked as she turned to Kuja in annoyance.

“Rats often look for new homes when they sense an earthquake. They probably moved to the sandy tree house by now. So you see, it's too late. The king has already turned tail and fled.”

“Sandy tree house,” the queen reasoned, “surely you don't mean Cleyra!? It'll be quite difficult if they escaped there.”

Freya let out a sigh of relief, If the king fled to Cleyra, he should be safe for a while.

“Cleyra.” Beatrix stated, “Unless we can get through that sandstorm, it will be impossible to attack them.”

“Sneaky little rats!” The queen stated with disgust, “Kuja, what do you think? Surely, with your powers there must be something you can do.” Kuja smiled to her as he gave her a small bow.

“Of course, your Majesty. I will present you a marvelous display of my power. I am certain that you will be most pleased.” He then turned to Beatrix, “I was wondering if you would gather your troops near Cleyra. I'm certain those filthy rats will retaliate in full force, and my Black Mages may not be enough.”

“Tch, sounds like we have trouble,” Zidane whispered to Freya.

“That sinister man, Kuja, where did he come from?” Freya asked.

“Never seen him before, but it sounds like he's the one giving Brahne the Black Mages." Zidane then looked to Freya, "They're going to Cleyra, What's it like?”

“The people of Cleyra are originally from Burmecia, they severed ties with us over a trivial matter. We're currently at peace with them, Cleyra itself is a very large tree shielded by a sandstorm.”

“Psst, sorry I'm a little late, Applejack will be here as soon as she can.” Pinkie surprised both of them by sneaking up on them, she was wearing a thief disguise and seemed to enjoy playing the role of sneakster. “Oooh, are they the bad guys~?” She asked whimsically, giving the queen and her company a very genuine glare. Zidane and Freya nodded, then noticed a Burmecian soldier enter the room, who moved to threaten the queen.

“That fool!” Zidane said as he got up and moved to stop him.

“Oh no! This is not a party you interrupt!” Pinkie declared with concern, following Zidane.

“What is that soldier thinking!” Freya asked as she followed after her friends. Throwing themselves into the midst of their foes, they arrived right as Beatrix was threatening the soldier, who was suddenly looking reluctant to fight. “You'll have to deal with us first if you intend to slay him!” Freya nodded to the soldier, and he reluctantly fled as he thanked the dragon knight.

“Heh,” Beatrix scoffed as she turned to them, “I've never been so humiliated in my life. Looks like there's still a knight and her squires left.” She then glared to Freya, “I'll have you know, dragon knight, that I single-handedly took out your fellow knights, well over a hundred of them, in fact. To me, you three are nothing more than insects.” She drew her sword, and with startling speed, attacked them.

Beatrix went for Freya first, but before her strike could connect, Zidane got in her way, taking the blow instead. He was knocked back, but was still on his feet, barely. Pinkie saw the state he was in and prepared to give him a potion, but Beatrix intercepted her and destroyed the potion.

No! This woman is even going to take my friends from me! I won't allow it! I cannot allow it! Freya thought as determination, born from her loyalties to her nation and her friends, filled her. Her armor crackled with blue and white lightning as it changed into a full set of plate armor, covering the knight perfectly.

Beatrix saw Freya go into Trance with a look of surprise, and a hint of respect. Freya briefly noticed the man named Kuja giving her a peculiar look. The queen and the man stood back while the fight was going on, and honestly, with how dangerous Beatrix is, Freya knew attacking them now would come at a price she wasn't willing to pay. Her friends lives.

Freya jumped into the air, her spear divided into several copies as her power fed into it, and she fired off the copies against the general of Alexandria. Beatrix was on the defensive, none of Freya's blows connected, but it gave Pinkie the chance to heal Zidane, and before Freya's trance could end, they rejoined the assault against Beatrix.

With the power of Trance, and the combined efforts of Zidane and Pinkie, they were able to harm Beatrix, but she had healing magic of her own. She healed her own wounds, and as Freya felt the power filling her start to die down, Beatrix struck Pinkie with a sword slash of thunder and lightning. Pinkie was sent sprawling back, crumpling to the floor, unconscious.

“Pinkie!” Zidane and Freya shouted in unison.

Zidane went to her aid while Freya landed in front of Beatrix. She wanted to summon Reis's Wind, a healing technique hidden within her new weapon, but she doubted her foe would give her the chance. So she lanced at her instead, but Beatrix deftly dodged her attack. She returned the attack in kind with a strike of lightning. Freya managed to duck under it, avoiding the blow, spinning around and swinging her spear wide at her opponents legs. Beatrix stuck her sword in the ground, into the spear's path, blocking the attack. Pining Freya's weapon with her foot, Beatrix shocked the dragon knight with her magic, sending Freya back. Beatrix kicked the spear at Freya, and then charged Zidane right as he brought Pinkie back up.

Zidane dodged her attack, jumping up and behind her, bringing his double sword down on her. She parried his attack without even looking. His blade caught against hers, she let her lightning run through her blade, into his. She pushed him off as he passed out from the shock to his system.

Pinkie rounded her cannon on the general, letting out a gout of fire. Beatrix blocked what she could with her blade, and running through the fire, kicked Pinkie away from her cannon, sending her flying back, hitting the ground, unconscious.

Freya's anger and determination was now being replaced with fear.

Beatrix was too strong. She stood there, already taking out two of her foes, without so much as a scratch. Eyeing Beatrix, Freya feared that they were going to die here. As Beatrix turned to her, she felt a strong urge to take a step back. A rational urge, and a primal urge, to flee for ones life. Instead, she took a step forward. He friends were on the ground, in peril. She wouldn't run away, she wouldn't even dare consider it. She charged Beatrix, and the general gave her a respectful look.

“How noble,” Beatrix said, impressed that the knight would still be willing to fight, when there was no chance at victory. As Freya's charge brought her weapon into Beatrix's reach, she suddenly jerked it left, hoping to catch Beatrix off guard.

Beatrix blocked the slice with her gauntlet and pressed into the spear's handle, approaching right up to Freya, whipping her gem encrusted blade up. Freya felt a lash of pain as her helm was knocked off from Beatrix's blow. She fell to the ground in pain, her vision becoming weaker as she started to pass out.

No! Not like this, please, I... need to save... The last thing Freya noticed as she blacked out was the sound of hooves, beating frantically against stone.


~~~~~~~~~~~
Moogle Notes:
~~~~~~~~~~~

'...'

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Freya Crescent

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Items Equipped: *New Item Acquired*

*Mithril Spear: Reis's Wind

Mythril Gloves: Steal Gil, Antibody(mastered)

Bronze Armor: Bird Killer

Property: Elem-Def: Wind damage reduced by 50%

*Germinas Boots: Alert, HP+10%(mastered), Flee

Raises Earth Elem-Atk


Lvl up! Lvl-16 HP 0/771 MP 15/63

AP 0/24

*HP+10% (4) - Increases HP by 10%.

Bird Killer (3) - Deals lethal damage to flying enemies.

Beast Killer (4) - Deals lethal damage to beasts.

Add Status (3) - Adds weapons status affect when you Attack.

*Level Up (7) - Characters level up faster.

*Insomniac (5) - Prevents Sleep.

*Antibody (4) - Prevents Poison and Venom.

*Bright Eyes (4) - Prevents Darkness.

Abilities:

Jump: Action Command - Jump high, becoming untargetable for a time, before spearing your foe.

Dragon Magic:

Lancer 10 MP - Reduces the enemy's HP and MP.

Reis's Wind 12 MP - Casts Regen on all party members.

Trance - Increases attack power, and Jump attacks all targets and doesn't end until Trance ends.

Author's Note:

Don't you just love cliff hangers? Well I don't! Damn me!
While I was looking for one of these.

I was thoroughly surprised to find this! AWESOME!

Poor Freya, at least we can take solace in the fact that I'm thanking you for reading this.:facehoof:
OCisbestpony! I send a 'thank you' in your general direction!