• Published 25th Sep 2014
  • 991 Views, 38 Comments

Zero Room - FiveyWhooves



While stopping by in Ponyville, the Doctor and Ditzy get a surprise visit from someone, or now, somepony from the past. But is the Doctor all that is in trouble, or is it something deeper?

  • ...
2
 38
 991

A Day Out

Author's Note:

The picture in this chapter contains slight images of blood.
It's not bad at all, but who knows who reads this and recoils at the mention of the word.
:applejackunsure:

"I'm sorry," said Nyssa, blinking toward Rarity, "but did you refer to. . .other doctors?"

"Mmhm," responded Rarity lightly as she started to gather things around her shop.

"You mean there are other ponies like the Doctor?" asked Tegan.

"Well. . .I may have exaggerated," stated Rarity. "By others I meant one." Tegan and Nyssa gave each other a look, each of them remembering the events of earlier that day, the mentioning by the grey pegasus about how there was presumably another incarnation of the Doctor wandering about.

"What does this. . .doctor. . .look like?" asked Tegan.

"And does he have a name?" added Nyssa.

"He actually does not, by what I know," said Rarity, the blue mist surrounding various fabrics and things, picking them up and placing them around a couple of mannequins. "When he arrived, he told everypony he just wanted to be called 'The Doctor', just like your friend. However, everypony just got confused, asking 'Doctor who?'. He got asked the question so many times that soon everypony in Ponyville quietly decided to just start calling him 'Doctor Whooves' one day." Rarity started sewing some fabrics together.

"As for his appearance," she continued rambling, "he is quite handsome, the dark, russet hair. . .I seriously had never seen so much volume in a stallion's hair! And his eyes were just as lovely as your Doctor friend. Are they brothers or twins of some type? They both are equally charming and they seem quite similar. Not that I'm complaining. . ."

"Sure, something like that," said Tegan hurriedly.

"When did this 'Doctor Whooves' show up?" asked Nyssa, trying to get more information.

"Oh, a couple of years I think," said Rarity. "In fact, one of the first times he made his appearance in Ponyville he showed up here, right in my shop, with the grey mail-mare pegasus." The other two mares widened their eyes, thinking the same thought. Could it be a connection?

"Funny thing too about Doctor Whooves," said Rarity, looking out as though she was thinking, "he came into my shop with the same problem as you three did."

"What was that?" asked Nyssa.

"His clothes were far to big for him," said Rarity. Suddenly her face popped as she pulled the thread out of something she was creating.

"I just saw the connection!" she exclaimed.

"What?!" said Nyssa and Tegan as they leaned slightly.

"I should've known that your Doctor and Doctor Whooves were related!" she said. "You all have the same awful tailor!" Rarity closed her eyes with slight pride. "Well, it's a good thing you all came to me."

Nyssa and Tegan shook their heads.

"Anyways," said Rarity, stopping her work for a minute, "I really do love to chat with you, but I'm afraid keeping up conversation will only stall my work on your new outfits. Perhaps the two of you can go off and do something for a while?"

"I suppose," agreed Nyssa. She turned to her friend. "Come along, Tegan, I'm sure we can find someth-"

"Oh no no no!" Rarity stopped them. "Don't go and find something! I have the perfect activity for the two of you, as I am assuming that you are new to Ponyville?"

"Is it that obvious?" asked Tegan.

"Slightly, yes," said Rarity. "But that's not a problem! I know that traveling here can be stressful, and because of that I already have something in mind." She dashed over to a table cluttered with papers. After the blue mist and Rarity's muzzle had sorted through them, the mare found a couple of smaller papers. She brought them back with the blue mist and held them suspended in front of Nyssa and Tegan.

"Since you are new to town and need something to do," said Rarity, "I have a couple of extra coupons to the Ponyville Day Spa. I'm sure that sound relaxing, no?" Tegan looked at Nyssa, wondering what to do. Nyssa nodded back.

"That sounds like a wonderful idea," she told Rarity. "How generous of you to offer."

"Oh, it's no trouble," Rarity brushed off. It was then Nyssa and Tegan realized that they had an even bigger problem.

How were they supposed to take the coupons?

"You can take them now and go if you'd like," said Rarity after a short, silent pause. The other mares stood like boards, staring at the coupons. Tegan then just decided to make the first move, and reluctantly (yet trying not to show it) reached her neck forward and took a coupon out of the blue mist with her teeth. At first she was extremely hesitant because it seemed weird, she didn't know what would happen if she touched the blue mist, or if taking things by the mouth were socially acceptable for ponies. However Rarity smiled at Tegan like she was doing something normal.

"Thanks," said Tegan through her teeth. Nyssa took in the action and followed suit, but when she did the same as Tegan, Rarity looked at Nyssa like something was off.

"Is something alright?" Rarity asked.

"Hm?" asked Nyssa through her teeth.

"Oh, nothing, you just weren't using your magic is all," said Rarity. "I just find that. . .a little odd. Are you feeling well?" Tegan and Nyssa froze, Tegan looking at her friend to see how she would respond. Nyssa stood like a deer in headlights, but managed to remain outwardly composed.

"I. . .yes. I'm slightly ill," responded Nyssa through her clenched jaw. Rarity opened her mouth to respond.

"But she's getting medical treatment," Tegan backed up.

"Yes," nodded Nyssa. "I have an appointment. . .tomorrow."

"Well that's good, I hope you get that fixed, darling," stated Rarity. "I feel terrible for you. I don't know what I'd do without my magic." She turned back to the mannequin on the other side of the room.

"We should be on our way," said Nyssa. "Thank you again for this."

"Yeah," Tegan agreed.

"Anytime," replied Rarity. "Oh, and the Day Spa is just around the corner from my shop. You can't miss it. The service is top-notch there. Now, back to my work, and I'll see you again soon!" Rarity waved at the two others as they trotted out of the shop. Nyssa and Tegan then both left the Carousel Boutique, and as soon they were outside, started talking.

"Magic?" asked Tegan. "What did Rarity mean by magic? Is that normal?"

"It must be like the cloud that assisted Rarity, what we believed was some kind of telekinesis," responded Nyssa. "But we need not worry about that. The Doctor is going to take care of that research, remember?"

"Right."

"But I still don't understand what she mentioned about another Doctor in this town."

"And the grey pegasus. Do you think it's the same one we encountered?"

"I don't know, but it's likely."

"Ugh, this is all making my brain hurt," complained Tegan, pulling a hoof up to her head. Nyssa sighed through her teeth.

"Then perhaps it was a good idea to go to the spa," stated Nyssa. "Only. . ."

"What?" asked Tegan.

"I'm not too sure what a spa is," said Nyssa with a scrunched face. "But Rarity said it had something to do with relaxation."

"It's like something we have on Earth," said Tegan. "And yes, it's usually where you go to relax and rejuvenate yourself."

"Odd, but it makes sense."

* * *

The Doctor was able to make out the top of the library tree-house that Rarity had referred to when he was just a couple of blocks away.

At least I'm on the right track, he thought to himself. Then again, it does seem to be one of the only buildings that looks remotely different. Lots of these homes look similar. Typical of a small town, though.

The Doctor looked around the town Rarity had referred to as Ponyville. All around the shops and homes, lining the streets, were various colored ponies that were conversing, negotiating, or interacting.

Sure is a peaceful and quaint village, the Doctor noted. I wonder how this place is run. However the method, it seems to be working very well. Soon the Doctor was lost in his own thoughts.

It's so strange to be a pony. Oddly enough, easier than I thought to walk. I wonder how I'm supposed to hold anything, though? Rarity had some type of psychokinetic field assisting her, and looking at all the ponies in town, a few others have something almost similar. But others don't. Interesting. It's also odd to wear this carrying-bag like a saddle. It makes sense, but definitely will take getting used to. Also will take the fact that I move my fingers a while to get used to. I sort of miss that.

"Ah!" the Doctor found himself sputtering aloud. He shook his head back into reality, realizing that in the midst of his thoughts he had just bumped into another pony passing by.

"So sorry," he then said hurriedly as soon as he realized he had run into someone.

"'Scuse me," replied the other pony as if he were out of breath. The Doctor looked to his side, expecting to see an irritated stallion. Instead, he saw the most bizarre thing. In front of him was most definitely a stallion, one with a tan coat and wild brown hair. But this stallion was also terribly beaten up, his eye blackened, cuts slashed across his head and body, and black and blue bruises everywhere. His mane was dusty and his clothes, a single green tie around his neck, was scuffed and ripped up.

Even more strange, the both of them stopped for one moment to look at each other. They didn't need to, both the Doctor and the other pony appearing to be in a hurry, but as if it were by some strange instinct, they did.

"Are you alright?" asked the Doctor. "You look a little. . .wounded."

"Nope, I'm fine," replied the stranger hurriedly. "Totally fine. Yup yup. . .fine."

Interesting, the Doctor thought to himself. A Scottish accent. I wonder if some odd version of Scotland exists here or if the dialect is referred to as something else.

"But you're bleeding," replied the Doctor.

"Nah, just a. . .couple of scratches," replied the stallion. "I'll be alright. But mind you, I'm in a hurry so-"

"Oh, yes yes yes," replied the Doctor. "Sorry to stop you."

"It's fine!" responded the stallion as he took one last glance at the Doctor before running off in the other direction at full speed.

There's something familiar about his appearance, the Doctor thought lastly as the pony disappeared in the town hub. Can't quite remember why. He was also in a terrible hurry. I wonder what that pony could be up to? The Doctor stood pondering this, but then shook his head.

I have more important things to be concerned about than these ponies' behaviors, he told himself. I need to get more information on this species, and possibly why the grey mare from earlier claimed another Doctor was running about here in Ponyville.