• Published 25th Sep 2014
  • 991 Views, 38 Comments

Zero Room - FiveyWhooves



While stopping by in Ponyville, the Doctor and Ditzy get a surprise visit from someone, or now, somepony from the past. But is the Doctor all that is in trouble, or is it something deeper?

  • ...
2
 38
 991

Sorry, Must Dash

It was probably a good two minutes before Rarity woke up again. And even after she was conscious, she wasn't necessarily all there.

"Ahem, sorry about that, it must be slightly. . .stuffy in here," she then stated to the three customers in her shop. Rarity fanned her face with her hoof before she cleared her throat.

"Shouldn't we get along with our fittings, Rarity?" Nyssa suggested, hoping to get things back on track.

"Right right right," Rarity attempted to focus back on her job. "So, Tegan, white it is?"

"I suppose that will do fine, or at least better than that ghastly uniform," Tegan replied. "So, yes."

"And Nyssa, the fabric that I have recommended suits you just as well, I presume?"

"Yes, I find to agree with it," nodded Nyssa.

"Then you're both good," said Rarity as the blue mist picked up her notepad in front of her nose. It also picked up a pencil and scribbled something on the notepad. She then looked right at the Doctor.

"You're next, then, Doctor." The Timepony gulped. A Dalek looking straight at him screaming "EXTERMINATE" would have been more comfortable than this.

"Gre-at," he squeaked. Rarity tapped the pencil on his nose with her blue mist.

"Then get out of those bland threads and I'll put you into something more exciting," she said before exiting the room.

"Bland?" scoffed the Doctor.

"I don't understand these strange pony creatures," said Nyssa, shaking her head.

"Would you like us to leave the room then, Doctor?" asked Tegan.

"No," said the the Doctor hurriedly. "Good heavens, no." With much struggling, he then attempted to tumble out of his clothes. Eventually he got a pile of fabrics on the ground in front of him. The Doctor stared at his old clothes.

"Well, this is certainly a new experience," he stated.

"Doctor," Nyssa told him, "your backside. It's got a symbol on it." The Doctor turned his head to see an hourglass imprinted on his flank.

"That's odd," he muttered.

"We have the same thing too," said Tegan. "Each one of us. Even Rarity."

"What could it mean, Doctor?" asked Nyssa.

"I don't know," the Doctor replied. "However, maybe after this scenario we can look about the town for some research. I'm sure there must be some library around here with some simple sources of information on anatomy of these creatures."

"Would horses be capable of libraries?" asked Tegan.

"They're apparently capable of speech, shops, and flirtatious motives," said the Doctor. "I would assume they would have the ability to keep record of things." He stiffened when Rarity came back into the room, a bundle of fabrics of all sorts of bright colors following her.

"Here we are, darling," she said to the Doctor. "Something more stylish for a. . .stylish pony as yourself, no?" Rarity bat her eyes. The Doctor wanted to actually respond with "no" and find some other tailor, if one existed, but instead he put on a grin and nodded slightly.

"Sure, fine fine," he replied. The Doctor moved his hoof over to his old trench coat. "Although, if I were to make a suggestion, I do happen to already like the previous look I had-"

"Oh nonsense, dear!" Rarity laughed, the blue mist picking up the Doctor's old clothes and stuffing them in a nearby scrap bin.

"But-"

"You clearly don't know what you need. I, however, know the exact thing." Rarity came uncomfortably close to the Doctor's face. He subtly tried to back away, only to almost trip over his own hooves. Nyssa and Tegan looked at each other, unsure of what really to do, or think, for that matter.

"Should I choose a golden tint of fabric such as your marvelously dashing mane, or something more dazzling such as the azure glow in your eyes?"

"Well, um, no, uh-" the Doctor stuttered.

"Or perhaps we should handle the matter of measurements first?" dallied the mare. The blue mist picked up Rarity's measuring tape and strung it around the Doctor's neck. Rarity was agonizingly close to his face for comfort.

The Doctor took a deep breath, half out of irritation and. . .well, all out of irritation and shook his head.

"No no no," he stated flatly, "I don't have time for this funny-business, Ms. Rarity. I have far too much to do, and if it isn't too much any trouble, all I'd like is for my original coat to fit me as it once did before. If you please." The Doctor scrunched his face. Rarity lowered her eyelids in frustration and disappointment.

"Very well," she said shortly as the measuring tape snapped away from the Doctor's neck. The stallion mouthed the word "ow" and rubbed it with his hoof.

"But I will say that it will take much longer to work with fabrics such as these," continued Rarity as she trotted over the scrap bin. The blue mist pulled the Doctor's old coat out into the air. "Beige happens to not be in my fabric library, so I'll need to buy-"

"Library!" the Doctor exclaimed as soon as the word hit his ear. "I was just thinking about that! Do you know where I can find a library in this town?" Nyssa stood at the opposite end of the room, ready to scold the Doctor for his hurriedness. However her confusing emotions toward Rarity as well allowed her to keep her mouth shut.

"Can't you focus for one second?" Rarity scolded. She cleared her throat. "I will fix the coat. I should be done in two hours, if I'm lucky. The other two will only take an hour, since these two mare have some eye for fashion and the changing styles."

"Yes yes yes, fine, good, an hour or two is fine," continued the Doctor. He was about to ask for the library again when Rarity left the room with the Doctor's over-sized coat. The Doctor shifted his weight on his hooves and rolled his eyes.

"It should be fine, Doctor," Nyssa stated, noticing his impatience with Rarity. "Perhaps you can search for a library in the two hours Rarity will take tailoring?"

"That's exactly the thought I had," replied the Doctor. "Also, I just want to go somewhere else. The less I have to be here, the better."

"I don't blame you," agreed Tegan. "That pony is one character."

"And a little more interested in my presence than I feel is necessary," he added.

"But what if Rarity happens to finish early?" asked Nyssa.

"Hm?"

"Shouldn't one of us stay behind and monitor her progress?" the young mare continued.

"That also sounds like a good idea," nodded the Doctor. "However don't expect me to be so eager to volunteer."

"Why don't Nyssa and I stay behind, then?" suggested Tegan. "The both of us together are just fine with Rarity. You can go out and find a library on your own."

"The idea seems plausible," agreed Nyssa. "Doctor?"

"Yes, I think that will do," the Doctor finished. Rarity pranced back into the room.

"Now that I have things set up," she said, "you were asking about a library?"

"Yes," confirmed the Doctor.

"Just a few blocks north is a large tree house in the edge of Ponyville, our town, for you new-travelers," Rarity instructed. "That's the library. My good friend Twilight Sparkle owns all of the books there. I'm sure she wouldn't mind letting you borrow a few books." Rarity leaned toward the Doctor slightly. "She is a bit of a nerd, though. Just so you know." She brushed her mane with her hoof.

"Great," said the Doctor, ignoring the last comment. "Now, if I may ask to borrow something I could carry books in just in case. . .a satchel or-"

"Oooh, you can borrow my bag!" exclaimed Rarity as she grabbed a saddle-bag from seemingly nowhere and thrust it on the Doctor's back.

"You do know you'll have to come back to return it," Rarity stated.

"I have to come back anyways for my coat, might as well return this then," the Doctor replied, trying to remain professional on some standard. He turned to his companions.

"Nyssa, Tegan?" he inquired.

"Go on," nodded Nyssa. "We'll do fine here."

"Good."

"Oh you're not leaving now, are you?" asked Rarity, a little whine in her tone.

"I do have little time to get things done," stated the Doctor as he started leaving the boutique.

"Do you really have to?" Rarity asked again, about ready to follow him out.

"Yes, sorry. Must dash." And with that, the doorway to the shop opened and closed, the Doctor off to find the library. Rarity wandered back into the shop near where Nyssa and Tegan were. She held an air about her as if she was daydreaming.

"Where do all these good-looking doctors come from, I wonder?" she said wistfully. Nyssa's eyes widened.

"What now?" asked Tegan.