• Published 23rd Apr 2012
  • 1,703 Views, 39 Comments

Dragon's Heart - Jet Howitzer



[1st person] A dragon is born, but there is more to him that meets the eye.

  • ...
2
 39
 1,703

Chapter 1: The Beginning

“And so I passed out. To this day I don’t know quite what happened between then and when I woke again.” I was lying down in my cave, looking at the tiny unicorn filly who had fallen into my cave several weeks ago. She was immensely brave, approaching me without any fear in those yellow eyes of hers. That was certainly an interesting meeting, but one to be reminisced of when the time comes.

“But what happened when you woke up? Don’t just end there!” Her energy was infectious, but you resisted the urge to hop up and down with her.

“Lyra, please, calm down. Shouldn’t we wait for Bon Bon to come back? She’s as excited for the story as you are.” Lyra’s eyes drooped at this, but I gently put a claw beneath her chin. “I’m not saying you can’t still be excited, only patient.” She nuzzled my claw, and met my gaze. My crimson eyes met hers, and I couldn’t help but smile at the happiness within her eyes.

“I can wait.” With her proud declaration she began to explore my cave. I had been living here for a few months, now, and it was as cozy as I could reasonably make it. I had gouged a small fireplace into the stone of the cave, to lend more warmth to the room, and Lyra always loved to rest by it as you told her my stories. Only recently had she taken an interest in my past, as she had been perfectly content to hear the stories I made up on a whim. I swear, when I tell those stories I feel like an author…

Of all the facets of my cave, the one that always entranced Lyra the most was a small medallion that I kept above my fireplace. I stood, and with a cat-like stretching motion I limbered myself up. I softly made my way over to the fireplace, and I watched Lyra examine the medallion. “If you’re patient we’ll probably get to that medallion sometime soon.” She looked up at you, eager to hear the story. “But we need to get to that point first. I won’t jump around, just to tell you only the high points of my travels. Anyway, don’t you want to hear how I met your grandmother?”

Lyra’s eyes widen, and she begins to bounce in place once more. “You knew my grandmother?” I simply nodded, and let her continue her energetic bouncing. A few minutes later and Bon Bon walked into my cave, and she gave me a wave. She had heard my introduction earlier, so now they were both at the same point in my tale of woe.

“Alright, girls. Now, as I remember it, I had just fallen from a tree, and been knocked unconscious. I slowly woke up, but some things had changed…”


Pain lanced through me as I woke up. The pain confirmed that I was alive, but was hated for the fact that it hurt. But things were different. Something about my body was vastly different from before, and it caused me quite a bit of distress. My eyes snapped open, and I looked down at my body, and I nearly passed out again. I had grown. Quite a bit.

The other thing that caught my attention was the pastel green unicorn staring at me with disbelief on her face. Her eyes widened even further when she saw I was awake. I met her gaze, and she became petrified. I tried to sit up, and I met a firm resistance. The unicorn’s gaze hardened, and the resistance increased. Oh, come on!

With a grunt I pushed through the resistance, and I succeeded in sitting up. The unicorn managed to look away from me, and she quickly pushed a shivering ball of fur behind her back hooves. Despite her intense fear, she took a step forward. Does she think to fight me? I don’t want to fight her!

“I don’t want to fight you.” She recoils a bit, at this declaration, but she doesn’t falter in her gaze.

“How did you change size, dragon? Yesterday, when I brought you inside, you were the size of a newborn filly. And now you’re as large as a full grown pony. Explain!” I looked at my claws, and I could see that she was right. I was just about her size. I climbed out of bed, and the unicorn took another step back.

“I still don’t want to fight you. I’m just as confused as you are.” Her gaze softens some, thankfully.

“What do you mean? Surely you mean to attack the town, right? Isn’t that what dragons do?”

“Well, I don’t know about other dragons, but I don’t intend to attack the ponies that helped me. And you don’t have to act so frightened around me. I mean you no harm.” I sat on the floor, and looked at the unicorn, and the ball of fur behind her. The tiny ball of fur slowly expanded until I could make out the fact that it was another unicorn. It was a light shade of aquamarine, and it stood and looked me right in the eye.

Before the bigger unicorn could react the tiny filly ran towards me. She launched herself at me, and I managed to catch her, and cradle her in my arms. The older unicorn gasped, and ran over to try and get the filly from my grasp, but when she got closer she could see that the filly was perfectly comfortable in my arms, and had snuggled closer to my chest.

“She’s adorable.” I found myself looking the filly in the eyes, and there was a tiny spark in those eyes. “What’s her name?”

“Lyra. She’s my daughter.” The unicorn spoke with pride in her voice. I moved a finger close to the filly, and she grasped it in her hooves. I let her hold my finger, and I looked back to her mother.

“What’s your name? And where am I?”

“My name is Harp, and you’re in the town of Hoofton. More specifically, my mother’s home.” Almost as if on cue an older mare walked into the room, and she froze when she saw you. “Mom, it’s okay, he’s oddly friendly.” The older mare relaxed at this, and she approached me.

“A dragon that’s friendly? That’s certainly news.” The older mare was looking at me with an odd look in her eyes, and I felt a connection with her. “Harp, take Lyra downstairs. I’d like to talk with this dragon of yours.” Harp nodded, and I relinquished Lyra. After a moment I was alone with the older mare, and she just looked at me.

“I had a feeling you were coming. Didn’t quite expect you so soon, but the Princess told me you were determined.” You try to say something, but before you can get a word in she continues. “She told me that you were different from most of the other dragons, so I won’t inform the town guard. But you can’t stay here. I’m sorry to be the one to do it, but I must ask you to leave.”

“Really? I just got here, and I have to leave now?” She just nods, and I lower my head. “I don’t have any say in this, do I?” She shakes her head this time.

“I’m afraid not. As a wanderer trouble tends to find you, and since you’re a dragon more trouble is sure to follow. Perhaps in a few years you’ll be able to return, but for now you must go.”

I slowly stand, and heave a great sigh. “Very well then. I’ll go, but I’ll be back, of that you can be certain.”

“I’d be surprised if you didn’t come back.”

With another sigh I head to the door, and open it. I head down the stairs, and waiting at the bottom is Harp. “I have to go, but I‘ll be back in a few years.” Harp nods, and I open the front door. I step out, and close it behind myself. Fantastic! Just freakin’ fantastic…

I felt a wind, and then I noticed it was caught beneath my still folded wings. I did a double take, and looked back to my wings. I have wings? I spread them, and they were magnificent in every way. They were snow white, like my scales, and the sun’s light passed through them. I suppose this won’t be ALL bad. A grin spread across my face, and I gave a few powerful sweeps of my wings, and I was airborne.

The feeling of flight was indescribable. The freedom was intoxicating, and for a time I was free from my thoughts. My flight took me far from that town, and soon it had almost faded from my mind. Sadly, the eidetic memory of a dragon prevented it from falling from my memory. For three days I flew until I came across a new town. I simply flew over it, unwilling to be forced to leave yet another place.

After several days of flight I came across a large city built from the clouds themselves. I was finally beginning to tire, so I gently floated to the city in the sky. As soon as I landed I was approached by a lion-eagle thing. The term griffon leapt to the front of my mind. The one that approached had on armor, so I assumed that he was a guard of some sort.

“Hold, dragon. Why have you come here?”

“I simply seek a place to rest for a time. I have been flying for almost a week, and so I need to rest my wings.”

“Very well, then. At your size you are no threat to our city, so you may stay.” With that done, he continued his patrol. I began exploring the city, until I finally found a small inn. As I approached I heard a call, and so I turned to see a group of griffons approaching me.

“What do you want of me?” They all looked around cautiously, as if afraid of being seen with you.

“We’ve been hoping to find someone of your unique qualifications, and so we have an offer for you.” I crossed my arms across my chest, and looked at them. “We need a dragon to deliver a certain package for us. We were hoping that you would be able to take care of this for us. You’ll be paid handsomely for your time.”

“Why do you need a dragon?” This smelled fishy, and I was unwilling to just take on this job, since it was likely illegal.

“Well, you see, we need it delivered to a dragon, so we can’t take it ourselves. But if you were to do it, you’d be able to get it to them without a problem.”

“I’m listening.” This was a bad idea, of that I had no doubt, but I needed money of some sort. I didn’t realize just how long it would take to finally get paid, though.

Comments ( 18 )

Will there be any contact with the mane six in this story?

its getting interesting :moustache:

Looking forward to more, good so far. Might want to make more breaks in the layout though. It's quite, "wall of text" looking, if you scroll through it.

491180 I can do that. Although you are the first one to ever say anything about it, and I have over 100K words worth of story written, and no one has ever said anything about formatting.

491200

It definitely didn't cross my mind while reading so it didn't deter from anything and it's still fine the way it is, but when I scrolled back to the top of the page it seemed like it was just ALL words and no breaks, I've read a lot of stories on this website and I never had that feeling before. Just thought I would say something. Maybe someone else can voice an opinion? :moustache:

491216 It's not really a problem, so I can do it... EVENTUALLY! Anyway, if you're reading Rising Sun, then I have good news, since it'll be updated with a new chapter soon.

Great job, thoroughly enjoyed it. :moustache::moustache::moustache:

495121 When you get down to it, does it matter if it is an explosion, or an implosion? They're both awesome in their own ways.

495129 You speak true, my dear author. You speak true.

495149 Sometimes. Other times I'm a dirty, dirty liar. But that's not too frequent. Anyway, what do you think of the story?

495158 So far I think it's pretty interesting. It's something different in that it's a dragon's story, and not the story of a pony.

495285 That was the intention behind it. So many pony stories, not enough dragons. I aim to fix that with this story.

495293 Yeah, dragons are cool. You're story's pretty cool too. Dragons are awesome!
Ahem, now if you'll excuse me, I have a chapter of "The Ballad of Echo the Diamond Dog" to read. I bid you farewell until next time.

Tracking this. Will get to it soon.

I tracked this for a while, and now I'm waiting for the next chapter.
This I can handle

529201 I've got the first few hundred words down, but I'm waiting for real inspiration to continue it. Probably not too long till I get it up. In the mean time, give my other works a shot, if you haven't already.

i don't mean to sound impatient but how often will this fantastic story be updated?

Login or register to comment