• Published 14th Sep 2014
  • 2,220 Views, 66 Comments

Chimicherry or Cherrychanga - Admiral Biscuit



Rarity and Pinkie Pie's friendship is strengthened by a trip across the desert on a section car.

  • ...
5
 66
 2,220

Across the Desert

Chimicherry or Cherrychanga
Admiral Biscuit
9/13/14


To many a pony, the wasteland around Dodge Junction was something only to be tolerated, so long as it was quickly traversed. Earth ponies especially shuddered in their shoes at a single glimpse of the bare earth, bereft of the bounty a pony's hooves could bring. To the weather pegasi, it was simply the place where those who had failed the most rudimentary cloud-moving tasks were sent.

But to the seasoned eye of a fashionista, it was a marvel of textures, from the hard-packed earth to the illusory softness of the cacti. Far from a featureless landscape, the desert featured its own color palette—mostly earthy tones like burnt sienna, burnt orange, and burnt umber, but there were occasional bright flowers that stood out all the more against the monotone background.

Any other time, Rarity's eyes would be glued to the landscape, only occasionally drawing back to make a quick sketch in her notebook. Why, she could almost imagine riding in the comfort of a rail coach, perhaps sharing a bench with Twilight. The librarian would have her muzzle buried in a book, most likely, but would be able to tell her just exactly what those delicate red flowers were called.

Or did it matter? To give a thing a name, did that change the thing? Sure, there was that famous line in a play which claimed that a rose by any other name tasted just as sweet, but was that true? Could somepony eat a flower and not be influenced by its name? Would anypony eat a flower if it were named thornflower or stinkbloom?

Rarity let out a dramatic sigh.

“Chimicherry or cherrychanga?”

Rarity looked up. “What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would taste as sweet.”

“I . . . what?”

“A quote from Romeo and Muliette,” Rarity said. “By the greatest playwright who ever lived? The Bard?” She wiped a hoof across her forehead, even though it was quite unladylike to do something as gauche as sweat, or to admit by one's actions to have sweated. “He's saying that what you call something doesn't change the nature of the thing.”

“Oh.” Pinkie mulled that over. “So, if you called a rose a 'fart-flower,' it would taste just as good?”

Rarity nodded. “Which means, whether it's a chimicherry or a cherrychanga, it would taste the same. And, if you had one, I would gladly eat it, no matter what you called it. I'm starving. I don't suppose there are any decent restaurants out here.”

Pinkie shook her head. “There isn't even a decent bakery in Dodge Junction.”

“What about—“

“Stale flour, and beet sugar. Beet sugar! Not to mention the shortening smelled off.”

“Pinkie?”

“Yes, Rarity?”

“Didn't you and Applejack once bake cupcakes with worms in them?”

“And I ate one,” Pinkie said proudly. “Or maybe more than one. I don't quite remember.”

“Yes, you were quite ill.”

“It's hard to remember things when you're projectile vomiting. And don't get me started on what was coming out the other end.”

“Please don't.” Rarity's face turned slightly green. “I would rather not know.”

“First I got a rumbly feeling in my tummy, and then my hoofsies shook, and then—“

“Pinkie?”

“Yes, Rarity?”

“Have you noticed how vast the surrounding emptiness is? And how—well, I certainly can't see Dodge Junction, since I'm facing the wrong way, but I should imagine that if you can see it at all, it is the tiniest speck on the horizon, is it not?”

Pinkie leaned forward against the handle, and squinted into the desolate distance. A small frown played at the corner of her mouth, interrupted by the very tip of her tongue poking out. After a half-minute of staring, she looked back to Rarity. "I can barely see it."

“So, it would not be hard to imagine how one could be lost out here, perhaps forever, if one were to prove an unbearable burden to her traveling companion.”

Pinkie glared at her. “You're one to talk. You've done nothing but complain.”

“I most certainly have not, darling. I will admit that I did threaten Rainbow Dash in absentia, as I hold her wholly responsible for the predicament we find ourselves in. Otherwise, I remained remarkably silent while you nattered on about chimicherries and cherrychangas. Might I remind you that neither of us even had breakfast before we left?”

“I knowwwwwwwwwwww!” Pinkie wailed. “My tummy is all grumbly and sad.”

Rarity gave her an encouraging smile. “I presume you would instruct me to stop if we were to pass some edible plant, would you not?”

Pinkie nodded. “But I don't know if any of these plants are edible.” She flopped down on the section car. “I'm the worst earth pony ever.”

“Don't be too hard on yourself, dear. You grew up a rock farm; you can hardly be expected to have the same familiarity with domestic crops as Applejack, or feral plants like Zecora does.” She leaned into the walking beam to make up for Pinkie's lack of effort. “Besides, I'm hardly Little Miss Helpful. I can find gems; what good does that do us out here?”

Pinkie looked up, her blue eyes brimming with tears. “I would . . . kill for a pineapple upside-down cake right now.”

That's oddly specific, Rarity thought. “It could be worse. At least we found this thing on a spur track. Imagine if we'd had to hoof it all the way back to Dodge Junction.” She sighed. “I would be happy with a simple ewer of water. When we get back to Dodge Junction, I am going to check us into the finest hotel, and have them draw up a cool bath for two. While we wait for it to fill, we'll drink tall glasses of mineral water, or perhaps even lemonade.”

“What if we don't make it back?”

“We'll make it back.” Rarity stopped pumping and let the section car coast on its own momentum. “We're not that far out of town . . . well, okay, maybe fifteen more miles or so, but we can do that in a couple of hours. It won't be comfortable, but it's doable.”

Pinkie stood back up and rested her forehooves on the walking beam, letting it push her upwards before she gave a strong downstroke. The section car lurched forward as Pinkie got back into her rhythm. “But . . . I really have to pee. I wasn't thinking about it until you mentioned a cool bath and a tall glass of mineral water or lemonade.”

Rarity chuckled mirthlessly. “The plants would welcome the water, I'm sure.”

“I guess.” Pinkie looked dejectedly at the desert and fell silent.

The two kept up their pace for an interminable length of time. The sun reached her zenith and began to creep along her course towards the western horizon. Aside from a steady squeak-squeak as the walking beam moved, and the soft sounds of their breathing, it was silent.

Finally, Rarity spoke. “Curse it, now I have to pee, too.” She looked over her shoulder hopefully, but Dodge Junction was still too far away to be more than a hazy dream on the horizon.

The two mares let the section car drift to a stop before they tumbled off the side and onto the desert floor. Rarity double-checked that the brakes were set: she had no desire for the vehicle to roll away while it was unattended.

In no time at all, they'd found a nice cluster of scrub brush that offered Rarity the privacy she felt she needed, even if they were in the middle of nowhere. One never knew when a stallion might just wander by, and a lady would never be caught in such a compromising position.

Pinkie, naturally, felt no such restraint; she was staring over her shoulder as she attempted to write her name in the hardpack. At least, that's what Rarity assumed she was trying, by the way in which she swiveled and twisted her hindquarters. A minute later, the pink pony came bounding over, her voice bursting with enthusiasm. “Rarity, Rarity, guess what I did? I wrote both our names on the desert floor!”

“That's quite the talent,” Rarity mumbled.

“Ever since I was a little filly Pinkie Pie, I always was good at writing things with my mouth or my hooves or—“

“Your urine. Honestly, why am I not surprised? I'm sure your parents were proud.”

“Well . . . only once I learned to go in the outhouse, which took a long time, 'cause I thought there was a monster in there. But after I got my cutie mark I realized that monsters get lonely, too, and maybe if I went in there and sang to him he'd be happier and not try to scare little fillies who have to pee in the middle of the night.” She began happily bounding back towards the section car, while Rarity turned her head and studied the disturbed desert floor.

Their names would be gone quickly—probably already were. Rarity didn't feel a need to look. They would evaporate in the heat, or be absorbed by the parched earth.

The hoofprints might remain longer, even long enough to be seen by ponies passing by on a train; they'd be there until the next rain or dust storm, then they too would fade as if they never were and never had been.

How soon would it be? How soon would the evidence of their journey vanish? Did it matter? She'd remember, and one day she might tell her parents, or Sweetie, or her own foals. In the telling, would they feel the heat of the sun? The magnificent vastness of the desert? Could simple words convey the feeling of completeness she felt looking at it as a metaphor for a pony's life?

"Rarity?"

The fashionista shook her head. "I'm coming, darling." She trotted to the tracks and gracefully jumped aboard. “Oh, I wish I knew a come-to-life spell,” she muttered as she released the brakes.

“I still just want a pineapple upside-down cake.” Pinkie shoved the walking beam down. “Or a chimicherry." squeak "Or a cherrychanga.” squeak "Or a kumquat."


True to her word, upon their arrival in Dodge Junction, Rarity had headed for the finest hotel in the town, while Pinkie looked for food. As there was but one hotel in town—where she had been staying with the rest of the girls—finding the finest hotel had taken little time. Persuading the clerk of her bona fides, though, had been a different matter. She hadn't been carrying any bits, and he was unsympathetic. She reluctantly reminded him that she had stayed with her friends in this very establishment the night before, and they had been model guests.

He mentioned the kumquat incident.

Rarity tried a different tack. She was sure, if he would just sent a telegram to Ponyville, that the bank would be forthcoming with any proof which was required as to her financial situation.

He wordlessly pointed to the clock on the wall.

Steam was practically coming out of Rarity's ears as she played her final trump card—that she was the bearer of the Element of Generosity, a mare who had helped save Equestria from certain doom on countless occasions, and if he was unwilling to send a telegram to Ponyville, perhaps he could instead have one sent to Canterlot, care of Her Royal Highness Princess Celestia.

Unimpressed, he informed her that he was actually the Emperor of Roam.

Rarity was debating the wisdom of reaching over the desk and ramming a hoof down his throat as a form of therapy—and, likely as not, a way to ensure a roof over her head for the night, at the very least—when Pinkie Pie pronked into the hotel lobby.

“Hi, Rarity! Hi, Blaze Star!”

Both Rarity and the receptionist turned to look at her.

“Wait, you know Pinkie Pie?” they both said simultaneously.

“Of course!” Pinkie grinned from ear to ear. “I know everypony. Rarity, I got a cake from the restaurant, 'cause they don't have room service here. Oh, and Cherry Jubilee says 'hi.' Did you get your room?”

“No,” Rarity hissed through clenched teeth, “because somepony had to be difficult.”

“Well, somepony should have said she was friends with Pinkie Pie,” the stallion replied. He reached behind him and grabbed a set of keys off the keyboard. He hoofed it over Rarity's head with a flourish. “Second floor, south end. I'll get a bath started for you ladies. Is there anything else you need?”

“I imagine that Flax and Wheat's Milk and Honey Bath Soak is unavailable in this town?” The puzzled look on the stallion's face was all the answer she needed. “Very well. I suppose I can live without.”

Pinkie Pie was dancing on her hooves. “Hurry, Rarity, the pineapple upside-down cake is getting cold.”

“How did you even. . . .” Rarity shook her head. “No matter. I suppose we shall have no trouble unpacking, as our bags have undoubtedly made it back to Ponyville by now. I do hope one of the girls had the good sense to carry them home with her.” She paused on the landing. “Oh, dear. I haven't got my mane brush or my curry comb . . . I must look simply terrible.”

“Yuppers!” Pinkie bounced to the top of the stairs. “Your coat is matted and covered in dirt, your mane's limp, soaked with sweat, and there's branches and stuff in it, and you're tail's all frizzed. Hey, if it goes all poofy, ponies will think we're sisters! Wouldn't that be fun?”

“It would be something.” Rarity reached with her telekinesis, trying to find the branches in her mane. “Pinkie, since you seem to know everypony in this town—“

“I do!”

“—Would it be too much to ask for you to go to the general store after we've had a nice soak in the tub, and get me a brush and a comb? I'd be forever in your debt.”

“You don't need a brush or comb, silly.” Pinkie unlocked the door to their room. “We're roughing it. Nopony cares what you look like when you're roughing it.” She pushed the door open and hopped into the room. “Why, we could be a couple of trail-weary hardcase trailponies coming into town for the first time in months. We could have a herd of cattle that graze out in the badlands, or maybe we could be prospectors, fresh from discovering a mine chock full of gems.”

“I should have picked some up while we were out there.” Rarity looked down at a hoof. “It would hardly have made my hoof polish look any worse. I could have traded them for food and lodging, and not had to dicker with that rude stallion at the front desk.”

“Or even better, a silver mine!” Pinkie shoved half of the pineapple upside-down cake into her mouth. “Or a gold mine! Or electrum! Or even unobtanium!”

“You made that last one up.” Rarity looked at the freshly-made bed, and for a fleeting instant actually considered just crossing the room and stretching out on the mattress. Her legs were so sore, and it would be pure bliss to take her weight off them. But she couldn't do it; she knew she was filthy, and she'd never relax if she were wallowing in her own filth.

“I saved some for you,” Pinkie said, holding a plate which contained the pitiful remains of a pineapple upside-down cake. “It's still a little warm, so you ought to eat it right now. Before it gets cold. Baked goods aren't good when they're cold. They might as well not be baked then. Of course, that would be silly; an unbaked cake would just be mushy batter.”

“Thank you, Pinkie,” Rarity said absently as she levitated the plate over. “I do wish I had a fork.” She lifted the cake in front of her muzzle and began taking small, ladylike bites. “Oh, this cake is simply divine.”

• • •

After she jerked awake for the second time, Rarity reluctantly got to her hooves and stepped out of the bath. Pinkie had long since vacated the tub; by the time Rarity was satisfied with the rudimentary grooming she'd been able to perform with the brush and comb Pinkie had found, it was nearly midnight, and they would have to get up early to make the train back to Ponyville. Well, she would at least; she'd have to groom herself again in the morning. One never knew if one might meet a famous actor on a train—say, Colt Eastwood—and it simply would not do to be unkempt.

She trudged up the stairs to their hotel room, quietly closing the door behind her. Pinkie was curled up in bed, the covers pulled up to her head. She'd turned the wick on the oil lamp nearly all the way down, kindly leaving Rarity just enough light to navigate by.

After blowing out the lamp, she folded back the covers and slid into bed, moving slowly to prevent disturbing the slumbering pony beside her.

This is bliss, she thought as the weight of her body finally left her sore legs and hooves. Even if the bed is lumpy and the pillows are under-stuffed. She closed her eyes and took a couple of deep breaths of the clear desert air, expecting to be asleep in seconds. However, she was interrupted by a soft sniffling noise.

“Pinkie? Are you crying?”

A nearly imperceptible nod was the only response she got.

“Why?” Rarity reached out and put a reassuring hoof on Pinkie's withers. “What's got you down?”

“How come they left us?” Rarity felt Pinkie moving under her hoof, curling into a ball. “We all came out here 'cause we missed Applejack, and then the other girls left us behind. Don't they care about us? What if—what if they think Ponyville would be nicer without us? Sometimes, I hear Twilight say that she doesn't understand me, and Rainbow ditched me for Gilda, which I kinda understood at first, but after a while it really started to hurt.

“And sometimes I hear them say mean things about you, too, about how prissy and stuck up you can be.”

“Oh, Pinkie.” Rarity slid close to the sniffling earth pony and wrapped her in a tight embrace, propriety be damned. “It's true that you can be a little too . . . intense for some ponies, especially if they have something else planned. And I am sometimes too prissy and stuck-up for my own good.

“But friends don't have to be together all the time . . . friendship isn't something a pony loses when she's away from her friend for a day or two.

“I think the girls knew that we were smart and resourceful, and we'd get back on our own. And I think they were more concerned with working out why Applejack didn't want to come back to Ponyville. They know we do . . . we will.

“Tomorrow morning, we'll get on the train, and you know what? I bet everypony will be at the depot to meet us.”

“You're right!” Pinkie straightened out and nestled herself against Rarity. “They'll all be super-sorry that they forgot us.”

“Yes, I'm sure they will.” Rarity nuzzled the back of Pinkie's neck, eliciting a contented purr from her friend.

“Ponyville just won't be the same without me,” Pinkie insisted.

Rarity nodded and closed her eye. She was half-asleep when Pinkie spoke again.

“Rarity?”

“Yes, darling?”

“It's okay if you're mad at me for knocking you off the wagon.”

“I'm not mad.”

“You're not?”

“I was mad. But now I'm not.”

“Why not?”

“Do you remember the first time you met me?”

“Yup! I threw a great big party! Ooh, I was barely out of fillyhood. That was a long time ago.”

“You touched me deeply, Pinkie. A mare who would devote that kind of effort to a total stranger, with no expectation of getting anything in return. You're always so cheerful and upbeat, and you work so hard to make everypony happy all the time. Why, you could probably make a grumpy old mule your friend, if you worked at it.

“And there's one other thing—but you can't tell anypony.”

“Cross my heart, hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye.” Pinkie squirmed under the covers as she performed the requisite motions.

“I had fun today.”

“You did? But you never have fun unless you're neat and tidy and proper and doing something boring.”

“You sound like Sweetie,” Rarity said softly. “I had fun with you today. Perhaps it wasn't my first choice of ways to spend a day, but I did enjoy spending time with you.”

“Aww.” Pinkie leaned back and rubbed her head against Rarity's chin.

“Of course, that won't stop me from exacting my revenge on Rainbow.”

“What?”

“Oh, nothing, darling. Go to sleep. We have a long train ride ahead of us tomorrow."

Author's Note:

Author's Notes: Click HERE

Comments ( 66 )

You sir have made a story for two of my favorite ponies. Seriously though I enjoyed this, and I loved how well in character you made both Pinkie and Rarity. Now I want to know Rarity's revenge... I have a feeling it involves a frilly dress and Rainbow having to sit still for hours... Perhaps even a pin or two being stuck in her every once in a while.

4998103

You sir have made a story for two of my favorite ponies

They are quite the pair, aren't they? I love they way they interact in the Iron Will episode.

Seriously though I enjoyed this, and I loved how well in character you made both Pinkie and Rarity.

I'm glad you said that. I never quite feel that I'm getting Pinkie Pie right--she's got so many layers of personality, and it's too easy to get caught up on the hyperactive party pony, but there's so much more to her than that.

Now I want to know Rarity's revenge...

I didn't really have anything planned. IIRC, the last words of the episode were Rarity saying "I'll get you, Rainbow Dash." I do have an idea that whatever Rarity would come up with would be cunningly brilliant.

needs moar noise music
[youtube=DoHgal6xwyA]

Ah, that was a refreshing story my friend.:twilightsmile:

4998388
My ears are bleeding....

4998388 WHY WOULD SOMEONE MAKE SOMETHING LIKE THAT!!!!:pinkiegasp::raritydespair:

4998472
4998448

Noise music isn't for everyone. It's a bit of an aquired taste.

Spend an hour or two mulling over the textures of sound on a good noise album, letting it block out everything else, and maybe you'll come to understand.

4998483 Hmm?:moustache:

I'll shall partake in that endeavor, do ya got and recommendations.:duck:

4998483

Noise music isn't for everyone. It's a bit of an aquired taste.

I'm too old to pick up the new musical styles that you kids like.:derpytongue2: I'll stick with my hurdy-gurdys and bagpipes and the band singing in Gaulish--you know, the kind of music we had when I was a kid.

4998505
It depends. Merzbow's the big name (I especially like his "Hummingbird" EP), but some of the higher pitches can be a bit painful, and other artists accomplish much the same thing with meshes of lower pitches.

4998519
Noise music originated in early 1910s Europe. It's older than Swing!

4998591
Hmm, well I do love me some good swing music. Although right now (and I am totally not making this up), I'm listening to the Black Sails soundtrack, which is largely Hurdy Gurdy (I love that instrument so much).

4998609
Some good music goes into OSTs! I often find myself listening to the sountracks to things that I don't even intend on watching/playing.

4998632

Yeah, I've got a whole playlist on iTunes of soundtrack music. The good composers can set a mood you can get into without watching the movie, I think. I've been disappointed at a lot of commercially available soundtracks, though, since they're too often just the pop songs that were used in the show, rather than some of the cool background music. To wit: I'd buy a MLP soundtrack in a heartbeat if it included the Hearts and Hooves day record music, or the spa music that was used in Ponyville Confidential.

This was a beautifully written slice-of-life. We need more like it.

4998687

There are fan-released versions of all of the mlp background tracks, although voices/effects aren't always entirely scrubbed. I nabbed them as part of the MLP Music Archive. An official release would be good, though, yeah.

4998722

I've come across a few, but there's some that I want so badly (like the Spa music, dammit!) What are we poor fans to do when they won't release what we really want?

REVENGE -- see, that would make for an interesting fic for you. Rarity's revenge on Rainbow Dash.

4998837
Surprisingly, I've got nothing. Whenever I think about RD and Rarity and revenge, my brain gets stuck on Estee's fic about Rainbow sticking Rarity in a tree.

Perhaps one of these days, I'll come up with the inspiration for her brilliant revenge, and if so, I'll write it.

It is known to be proper for a lady to glisten, however leaving one's name signed in recycled water seems a bit out of character for her. I would have thought she'd destroy all evidence for fear of somepony believing it to be her signature.:raritycry:

This is a decent story, though I think that thematically it could have been much stronger. Oh well.

This was really nice. I liked how you made them both stay in character even if Rarity seemed a bit more subdued then I expected. Though you did explain why that was.

:ajsmug:

Well, except for all the talk about pee. What the heck is up with that? :applejackconfused: :rainbowlaugh:

“So, it would not be hard to imagine how one could be lost out here, perhaps forever, if one were to prove an unbearable burden to her traveling companion.”


Isn't that a bit elaborate for Pinkie Pie?

“I'm the worst earth pony ever.”

You grew up on a rock farm, can't you tell if any of the rock are edible?

At least we found this thing on a spur track. Imagine if we'd had to hoof it all the way back to Dodge Junction.”

Or had no idea which way to go.

How long is Pinkie gonna hold it?

Rarity double-checked that the brakes were set: she had no desire for the vehicle to roll away while it was unattended.


Remember Rarity had to be TOLD what a hammer was in the comics. Heh.

Pinkie, naturally, felt no such restraint; she was staring over her shoulder as she attempted to write her name in the hardpack.

-_-

hardpack?

They're female. I thought they couldn't aim!

She'd remember,

Until she died of old age.

“Oh, I wish I knew a come-to-life spell,”
????

He mentioned the kumquat incident.
????

Unimpressed, he informed her that he was actually the Emperor of Roam.

She's playing the 'save the world card?' She is desperate since you don't see them use that much in the show. And this is a reminder that Equestria doesn't HAVE mass media!

Rarity was debating the wisdom of reaching over the desk and ramming a hoof down his throat as a form of therapy

You know such thoughts can't escape you in a situation like that.

“Of course!” Pinkie grinned from ear to ear. “I know everypony.

Just in Ponyville.

as our bags have undoubtedly made it back to Ponyville by now.

GEEZE!!!!

You know what would have made Rarity as angry as HELL!? THAT THEIR FRIENDS WENT BACK HOME WITHOUT THEM!!!!!!!

I do hope one of the girls had the good sense to carry them home with her.”

You think she'd be more angry that they took her luggage home without them, and FORGOT ABOUT THEM!

And I am sometimes too prissy and stuck-up for my own good.


She admits that?

So what would be the comeuppance she gives RD?

4998103

I read this comment in Frieza's (English) voice and it was glorious.

5003784

“So, it would not be hard to imagine how one could be lost out here, perhaps forever, if one were to prove an unbearable burden to her traveling companion.”
Isn't that a bit elaborate for Pinkie Pie?

That's supposed to be Rarity saying it--did I screw up the dialogue tags?

Or had no idea which way to go.

50% chance of getting it right.:pinkiehappy:

Rarity double-checked that the brakes were set: she had no desire for the vehicle to roll away while it was unattended.
Remember Rarity had to be TOLD what a hammer was in the comics. Heh.

Well, she called it the "whack-a-nail-into-the-wall thingy for hanging pictures," so she knows what it is, just not what it's called. Besides Pinkie told her how the handcar worked, but she (rightly) doesn't trust Pinkie to assure the brakes are set.

They're female. I thought they couldn't aim!

You obviously don't know the right girls.

“Oh, I wish I knew a come-to-life spell,”

Pretty sure Rarity hadn't ever used one prior to this episode.

He mentioned the kumquat incident.

I leave that to your imagination.

Unimpressed, he informed her that he was actually the Emperor of Roam.
She's playing the 'save the world card?' She is desperate since you don't see them use that much in the show. And this is a reminder that Equestria doesn't HAVE mass media!

Yeah, aside from RD--who brags about everything--the rest of the girls don't brag about how many times they've saved Equestria. Newspapers are canon (and TV, folding the comics into the mix), but they probably don't see either out on the frontier.

Rarity was debating the wisdom of reaching over the desk and ramming a hoof down his throat as a form of therapy
You know such thoughts can't escape you in a situation like that.

It is a great form of therapy.

“Of course!” Pinkie grinned from ear to ear. “I know everypony.
Just in Ponyville.

I think she's branched out since the opening episode. Made friends with the buffalo and the Appleoosans, annoyed everypony in Dodge Junction....

You know what would have made Rarity as angry as HELL!? THAT THEIR FRIENDS WENT BACK HOME WITHOUT THEM!!!!!!!

I'm less sure about that. Remember how she talked her way out of the Diamond Dogs' captivity? While she acts like a damsel in distress, she's way more badass than she lets on. She was, after all, the first to attack the minotaur EDIT: manticore, had little trouble carrying Tom (and defended him in a martial arts pose) or lugging the six carts of gems behind her . . . She complains a lot about little stuff, but then just goes and does the big stuff without batting an eye. I think it would be perfectly in character for her to gripe about her luggage, but not say a word about the fact that she was abandoned in the desert. (But that's just my opinion.)

And I am sometimes too prissy and stuck-up for my own good.
She admits that?

I think her behavior in Sisterhooves Social is a tacit admission of her failings.

So what would be the comeuppance she gives RD?

I don't know--I haven't thought of anything. But when i do, it'll be magnificent.

4999344

leaving one's name signed in recycled water seems a bit out of character for her. I would have thought she'd destroy all evidence for fear of somepony believing it to be her signature.

Little risk of anypony seeing it in the desert before it evaporated or soaked into the ground, and it would be an insult to Pinkie to just obliterate her hard work.

4999865
Any suggestions on what could be improved? I'm always open to suggestions.

5000715

Until just now, I had no idea that anyone else had ever done a story about this. I actually got the idea from a group thread in the collab cage, when Not Worthy suggested writing one-shots which paired two of the Mane Six, and used the handcar as an example--one which I used.

5004534 I suppose.

She was, after all, the first to attack the minotaur,

I don't remember her attacking Iron Will.:applejackconfused:

5004523


That's supposed to be Rarity saying it--did I screw up the dialogue tags?


I meant for Pinkie Pie TO GET WHAT RARITY IS SAYING. Sorry.

5004523

It's not so much her being able to take care of herself. It's the PRINCIPLE of leaving your friends in the desert without even a note or going back for them.

5004599

I don't remember her attacking Iron Will.:applejackconfused:

That was the deleted scene?
fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/151/5/8/58a3606f12693778dc27f88149e4ef8d-d51gkpt.png

I meant manticore. Damn monsters with their 'm' names.

5004642

That's all right. I think she'd get the tone, at least, even if the subtlety of the threat was kind of lost on her.

5004655

I would argue that while that hurts her, she is the bearer of Generousity, and if that's what it takes to bring AJ back to her family, that's what it takes.

Now, if they got back to Ponyville and AJ hadn't reunited with her family, I think Rarity would go on a murderous rampage. With an axe. [Okay, maybe not, but I bet she'd be pretty pissed.]

5004695

I wonder what the hell the Mane Six are gonna say when Sweeite Belle asks where her sister is.

5004710
That's a good question. We know that Sweetie doesn't live with Rarity, so she might not have to find out right away....

very nicely done not many Rarity pinkie romance or friendship i liked this a lot

5004754 i mean there aren't many fics that focus on the connection between the two

Where have you been my whole life? Seriously my friend you just made me remember why i love it when pinkie and rarity bond. Oh btw I honest to Celestia hated Dash in this episode I wanted her head on a platter for leaving rarity and pinkie to die in the desert. That's pretty much when Dash became my least favorite of the mane six I mean why not go back for them? I would have but then again maybe I think of others before myself and Dash doesn't.

5004759

Which is kind of odd, since the Iron Will episode had them together for pretty much the whole thing. I think it works well because they're so opposite each other most of the time, but they can work together for the common good--and quite honestly, I think they've been friends for a very long time, probably ever since Pinkie came to Ponyville.

I still don't get why Rarity is mad with Rainbow because of this. Pinkie was the one who knocked her off the cart. Yes, Rainbow was the one who made the decision not to go back to get them, but how would Rarity have known that? She and Pinkie were way back in the distance by then. I know it's canon that's she's mad with Rainbow but it really makes no sense.

5004775

It does strike me as a bit OOC for Dash, since she's loyal--on the other hand, I'll give her the benefit of the doubt in this episode; I think she and AJ, despite their differences, are very close, even if they don't always seem that way (the endless competitions). I'd venture a guess that AJ is second only to Fluttershy among RD's friends.

5004785

I can only assume she heard RD shout "They knew what they were getting into," or if not, just make the assumption that RD's impulsive nature is to blame for her current predicament. After all, with RD and Fluttershy pulling the wagon, who's going to be the most assertive of the pair?

5004726

She seems to live with her MORE OFTEN THAN NOT than with her parents.

5004810

Remember, we're just seeing a part of their lives. Yes, she spends a fair amount of time with Rarity, that's undeniable. However, if we assume that her parents live in Ponyville (canon suggests that they do), it stands to reason that Sweetie would be around Ponyville all the time, even if she isn't staying with Rarity.

5004791
*Shrugs* I still hate Dash though but each to their own right? That closeness between AJ and Dash is why that abomination of a ship appledash exists. But I digress do you like Cheese Sandwich? he's the only stallion I ship with Pinkie and yeah I really like raripie shipping or friendshipping telling by your favorites you have a fondness for Pinkie too Alex Warlorn has some pretty interesting headcanons of her. She's just fun to write espeically when she is paired up with rarity. How most people feel about fluttershy is how I feel about Rarity but I know that Rarity is bad ass and doesn't need protecting. She made the diamond dogs let her go by annoying them XD. I love that episode dog and a pony show i think but yeah good episode.
5004785
Dash fan alert! Typical Dash fan putting the blame on pinkie in the name of their dashie aww so cute! It so nice to see you try to excuse your wittle dashie from any blame rainbow dash isn't perfect and she is the blame. Dash needs to learn to take responsibility for her actions and she doesn't need her fans coddling her and excusing her horrible actions. Fans like this is why characters who deserve to be punished never get punished. Now you all see more reasons why I don't like Dash. Fans like this will relentlessly bash any character in the name of their favorite character its so cute but at the same time really depressing. these are the type of people who defend their children when they commit crimes. Defending Dash's actions is no better then defending your kid in court after he robbed a bank or something. It's called being an enabler.

Login or register to comment