• Published 27th Aug 2014
  • 913 Views, 7 Comments

A Perfect Cadence - DailyMe1



A story about Princess Cadence's past while in early teen stages.

  • ...
2
 7
 913

Magical Inquiries

Chapter 8

The sky was almost blindingly blue as the day started, curtains of pale orange clouds drifting low over the mountains. A sliver of the sun still hid under the horizon, rising slowly.

Cadence found herself on the edge of the palace garden in the morning, sighing contentedly as she breathed in the scents of the flowers and leaves, as she heard the soft twitters of songbirds and low croaks of frogs in the pond nearby. A gentle wind rustled her feathers and blew through her coat, filling her with a sense of refreshing tranquility.

And then, at once, it broke.

"Hello, my Cadence."

The filly in question started, her wings unfurling at once in the Pegasus instinct that she'd retained since her transformation into an Alicorn. She veered her head around to find Princess Celestia standing behind her, wings spread and head held high, very much like an angel in the glow of sunrise.

"Hi, Auntie."

"Up this early?" Celestia asked, a quizzical note in her bell-like voice. Moving slowly forward, she lowered her neck and nuzzled affectionately against Cadence's cheek, eliciting a happy smile from the young princess.

Once Celestia raised her head again, Cadence nodded. "I was just... admiring your sunrise today," she explained. "You did a great job, Auntie."

Celestia laughed melodically. "Oh, Cadence, I appreciate it. Though, I have to admit, it's a surprise finding you here. For the past two weeks you've only stayed in your room until breakfast. Might I inquire why you've decided to roam around the palace at this time?"

"Oh--!" A blush mottled Cadence's cheeks. "I'm really sorry, I-I didn't realize... I know I should ask permission before--"

The white alicorn placed a hoof on her niece's shoulder, prompting her to stop. "It's quite alright. I have no problem with you exploring the castle, as long as you don't venture into my chambers." She gave a wink at that. "Now, my question?"

A sheepish smile found its way onto Cadence's face in response. "Well, I suppose I just woke early today. That's all."

The quirk of her aunt's eyebrow told Cadence that Celestia wanted a bit more story. "You wake early nearly each day. Why did you choose to come to the garden this morning, of all mornings?"

"Uh, I kind of found something interesting today, if you really want to know," Cadence said softly, peering up at the older princess questioningly.

"Oh? Did you make a great revelation?"

"Er... no. I mean, it was for me, sort of."

Amusement sparkled in Celestia's magenta eyes. "Tell me about it, then."

"O-Okay. After I woke up, I was wandering around my room as usual, seeing if there was anything at all in the fifty-hundred-thousand drawers in the dressers and wardrobes." She frowned. "There wasn't, by the way."

Celestia gave a laugh.

"Then, I tripped." Cadence continued, raising her head to see if Celestia was following. Her aunt nodded for her to resume the story. "While I was falling, I pulled on this thin white string that was just hanging there. I heard a sliding sound, then I looked up, and I got blinded!"

Cadence's eyes brightened at the word blinded. Her voice raised slightly out of excitement, and Celestia looked understandably confused for a second.

Taking a deep breath, Cadence began again. "Turns out, those giant purple blankets on the far wall weren't blankets. They were curtains!! Can you believe that? They were so big, and the windows took up the entire wall!"

Celestia hummed to indicate that she did, in fact, believe it. The Sun Princess had designed the place, after all. But she didn't wish to ruin Cadence's apparent elation at her new discovery, so she remained quiet as her niece explained more.

"Anyway, through those windows, I saw the sunrise--I'd never seen the sunrise in Canterlot before, and being in the same place as the Raiser of The Sun while it happened made it so much more pretty. I just had to come out here to see it better!"

A warm smile danced across Celestia's features. It always made her happy to hear that her efforts were enjoyed, even if she was not given direct credit. A sudden pained expression made it onto her face, however, as she remembered how Luna's efforts had always seemed to gone unnoticed.

Cadence realized Celestia's sudden change in mood and spoke up. "What's wrong, Auntie?"

"Nothing," Celestia said quickly, forcing down the guilt that always came with the memories. "I'm glad you enjoy the sunrise so much."

Cadence nodded. "I-If you don't mind me asking, how do you raise the sun? I'm not very good at magic yet, but I know it can't be a simple charm! Where did you learn to do what nopony else can?"

"My, Cadence, that is quite the first question to be asking about magic!" Celestia laughed. "For starters, however, raising the sun is my destiny. It's what I was always meant to do, since the day I was made."

"Your destiny... so, your cutie mark?" Cadence looked confused. "You were born with your cutie mark?"

Celestia shook her head, pleased at Cadence's curiosity. "It's much more than a cutie mark. I was never taught to raise the sun, it was always my ability and responsibility to keep Equestria in balance. I'm afraid, with you only just having gotten your horn, magic like my special talent may be a little difficult to grasp."

Instead of looking disheartened, Cadence only perked up. "You're right. I've only had this thing for a week or two, and I have no idea how it works!" She knocked the horn on her head a few times with her hoof to point out the protuberance. Her royal-purple eyes lit up suddenly. "And--and you've had a horn for thousands of years! Do... do you think you could teach me Unicorn magic?"

Celestia smiled. She didn't seem surprised at such a request. "Of course. I've actually been planning several lessons already--though I never expected you to ask so soon. You've seemed so occupied these last few days."

Grinning delightedly, Cadence made forward to wrap her forelegs around her adopted aunt and nuzzled her appreciatively. "Thank you, Auntie!"

"It's no problem, my Cadence," Celestia assured. "I'll always be here to answer your questions."


They walked down the hall to Celestia's study. Nervous waves of doubts and fears had started to wash over the younger princess, and she couldn't help but voice her uneasiness.

"But... I used to be a regular old Pegasus. I don't know anything about magic! What if I'm never able to cast any spells? My Alicorn-ship would have be pointless then... I'd be a waste of a horn," Cadence rambled anxiously. Celestia hushed her quickly.

"Cadence," said Celestia. Her voice was motherly, reassuring but strict. "I know you're worried, and nothing can be expected when it comes to magic, but I know that you well deserve your horn. You'll be an incredible magician, a worthy Alicorn, and an amazing princess, Cadence. I don't have a doubt in my heart about that."

The honey-like tone of Princess Celestia was enough to soften the edge on Cadence's nerves. She looked up at her aunt and soon-to-be mentor, smiling gratefully. "Thanks."

"And Cadence?" Celestia added. "You say you don't know anything about magic, but I'm not quite so sure. The magic you possess, the magic you understand, is different from any Unicorn charm or spell. You have a different magic inside you, Cadence."

Cadence blinked inquiringly. "I do?"

Celestia closed her eyes with a nod. "You know a certain type of magic, a great, powerful magic, stronger even than the one I have to raise the sun. Mi Amoré, the magic you have is the magic of Love."

And glowing with all the affection, warmth, care, adoration... love that she felt, Cadence could believe it.

Author's Note:

this story is real baaad
i used to think it was rad
now it's horrifically sad
oh well but now i'm glaaad
because i found motivation finally and
um
popup aaaaaddds

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment