• Published 19th Jan 2015
  • 1,275 Views, 30 Comments

All the Elements for Disaster - Radicool223



When a confused blue pegasus seeks help from Princess Celestia and gets sent for memory help to Twilight Sparkle right before the MLP FIM TV series, what could possibly go wrong? A lot, that's what.

  • ...
11
 30
 1,275

Griffon the Brush Off

We open to see Rainbow Dash and Cobalt flying around Ponyville playing tag. Cobalt barrel rolled under an overhang, and Rainbow used a streetlight pole as a turning mechanism.

All of a sudden they hear a springing noise, and Pinkie Pie started bouncing around underneath them.

“Ohh! Hey guys! Dashie! Cobalt!” she called up at them. They both froze in their tracks.

Oh shoot. Rainbow thought to herself. I don’t want to be rude about this, but I just don’t want to hang with her! She glanced at Cobalt and read the same thoughts in his eyes. He returned the glance, and together they zipped off at nearly top speed in the opposite direction of the pink mare. Pinkie took off bouncing after them.

Once they had reached the top of a nearby mountain, Cobalt breathed a sigh of relief. Sometimes hanging around Pinkie put a strain on your brain.

And speaking of the devil, Pinkie’s head popped out of a nearby bush. “Hi guys!”

Rainbow and Cobalt shouted in alarm, going pinprick pupiled, and dashed off again, this time to another mountain with a canopy of leaves to hide in.

A whispering feminine voice asked, “What are you guys talking about?” The pair slowly turned around to see Pinkie Pie’s grinning face a few inches away.

They didn’t even say anything this time, just took off. They didn’t stop until they were sitting in the middle of the Ponyville town square, panting with tiredness at having that many long distance sprints in so little time.

“That’s–unnatural!” Cobalt gasped.

“I know! How’s she able to catch us?” Rainbow asked, her eyes wide with understandable fear.

“Hi!” Pinkie cheered from her position next to them.

Cobalt almost had a heart attack. The two speedsters took off using whatever energy they had left and zoomed away from Ponyville.

A few seconds later Dash looked down and her eye twitched. Pinkie was below, galloping along at an unreal pace to keep up with them.

“Dashie! Cobalt!” Pinkie called, with a small bit of alarm tingeing her otherwise cheerful tone.

“We don’t want to hang out!” Cobalt shouted down, completely past any sort of secrecy.

“No! Guys!” Pinkie persisted, a little more worry creeping into her voice.

“For the last time!” Rainbow yelled. “We don’t want to–”

Her sentence was cut short as she and Cobalt slammed into the side of a tall hill due to their distraction. They were lucky they were only going half speed because if they had been going full speed they could’ve broken a bone. As it was, they broke off a few bits of dirt and fell down the side, landing in a shallow pile of dirt.

Pinkie skidded to a halt. “I was just about to tell you to watch out for that mountain!”

Cobalt raised a foreleg from his sprawled out position. “I give up!” he cried, muffled due to being facedown.

ONE TITLE SEQUENCE LATER

“A little to the left. No, that’s too far. Up a little. A little more. Now to the right.” Pinkie directed Rainbow to move a stormy cloud above the parchment shop.

“Remind me why I’m doing this?” Rainbow asked impatiently, true to her nature.

“No reason.” Pinkie said with a demonic grin.

“And what am I supposed to do again?” Cobalt queried from his position on top of another cloud higher than Rainbow’s.

“When I do this,” Pinkie demonstrated waving her foreleg to the right. “You jump on the cloud and make it lightning.”

Cobalt nodded. “Doesn’t make sense, but whatever.”

“There!” Pinkie announced, scaring both pegasi out of their wits. “Leave the cloud right there and hide!” she darted into a bush and Rainbow hid behind a sign.

Spike came out, whistling His World, and holding several scrolls. Pinkie waved her foreleg and Cobalt elbow dropped on the cloud. It released a bolt of lightning that seared the area a few yards away from Spike and terrorized him so badly that he thought the apocalypse was coming and ducked for cover. The three ponies joined in front of him and started cracking up.

“That was hilarious!” Rainbow laughed.

“Awesome!” Cobalt agreed.

“See, I told you!” Pinkie giggled.

Spike glanced up from his tornado drill position, and seeing the buildings weren’t on fire, he started to chuckle. “Okay, you guys got me good,” he admitted.

He started to try to pick up the rolls of parchment, but hiccupped fire breath and instead sent it to Princess Celestia, making the three laugh even harder, Rainbow was banging her hoof on the ground it was so funny.

MEANWHILE IN CANTERLOT PALACE

Princess Celestia looked up in surprise as a scroll hit her in the head. She confusedly opened it up and realized it was blank.

MEANWHILE BACK IN PONYVILLE

Spike tried to pick up the scrolls but ended up sending them all to Canterlot instead, adding to the hilarity of the situation.

MEANWHILE IN THE HALL OF CANTERLOT

Celestia was flooded with letters, and nearly got swamped by all of them.

MEANWHILE BACK IN PONYVILLE (SIGH)… AGAIN

“Wow, I totally misjudged you Pinkie!” Rainbow exclaimed. “I never thought you would be a prankster!”

“Me neither!” Cobalt admitted.

Pinkie grinned. “Well, in that case, are you thinking what I’m thinking?”

“Heck yeah!” Came the unison response.

MEANWHILE IN THE ONE PRANKING MONTAGE LATER

The sun hung low in the sky, creating a nice sunset as the three friends headed home after a fun day of pranking.

“Whew, that was fun!” Cobalt announced.

“More like funny!” Rainbow corrected.

“How about both?” Pinkie suggested.

“Much better!” Cobalt agreed.

“See ya tomorrow for the same thing?” Pinkie asked.

“Duh!” Rainbow answered with a huge grin.

The pink mare trotted away toward Sugarcube Corner, leaving the two pegasi alone.

“So, see you in the morning?” Cobalt asked, becoming a bit awkward being around his crush, just the two of them. He noticed a tint of pink on Rainbow’s face. He bit his tongue as he considered just confessing how he really felt.

“We’ve got the whole day off, why not?” Rainbow interrupted his thoughts, smiling warmly. She thought about it and was about to make her move, but then her mind went fuzzy, and they instead brohoofed and then zipped off in opposite directions, with her silently cursing herself for hesitating and Cobalt doing the same to himself.

ELSEWHERE

The pair of red eyes flickered on again, having been out for a while. The owner of said eyes slowly hauled itself to its feet with slow, jerky, robot-like movements.

“RECOVERY: 89%.” it said to itself. “EVALUATION OF CHANCE OF VICTORY IN FIGHT WITH RIVAL: 48%.” It rotated a clawed metal hand experimentally. “READY TO ENGAGE IN COMBAT. PERFORMING AREA SCAN FOR TARGET LIFE FORM.”

A red radar sweep extended from the thing’s head, twisting in a circular 360 motion. The red light suddenly shut off.

“SCANS POSITIVE. TARGET IN VINCINITY. TARGET, FRIENDS OF TARGET, AND ONE WHOM TARGET HAS EMOTIONAL CONNECTION WITH: LOCKED ON. EVALUATION OF CHANCE OF VICTORY WITH FIGHT WITH ALL OF THEM: 31%. RECOVERY PROMINENT BEFORE ATTACK. BUT WHEN RECOVERED…” The red eyes flashed. “THEY WILL ALL DIE.”

THE NEXT DAY

Pinkie Pie came bouncing down a dirt road wearing an assortment of novelty items, including but not only, a fake glasses, nose, and moustache thing.

She looked up in surprise to see Rainbow, Cobalt, and a griffon conversing in the air.

Rainbow noticed her down on the ground and called out. “Hey Pinkie! Meet Gilda, she was my friend back in Junior Speedsters Flight Camp!” Gilda gave the peace sign. “Gilda this is Pinkie Pie, one of my new friends!”

“Hiya Gilda!” Pinkie called, making a mental note to throw a welcome party later.

“Hey, let’s land.” Cobalt said to the other fliers, who swooped down and set easily onto the ground.

“So why are you here?” Pinkie asked.

“I just found out that Dash here wasn’t living in Cloudsdale anymore so I decided to pay a visit.” Gilda answered. “Why do you look like a walking joke shop?”

“Oh, that’s easy! Dashie and I were going to go pranking like yesterday!” Pinkie explained.

“Um, heh, about that.” Rainbow put in, laughing nervously. “I didn’t know Gilda was going to visit yesterday, and I was wondering if maybe we could do that later so we could hang today. Is that okay with you guys?”

“Yeah.” Cobalt said before Pinkie could get a word out, which was a rare occurrence. “I can tell you guys are good friends.” He zipped off to go do whatever.

“Yep!” Pinkie agreed. “Maybe later then.”

“Yeah, later.” Rainbow agreed. “C’mon Gilda, I’ll show you around.” She took off.

“I’ll catch up with you in a second.” Gilda called after her. Her smile quickly turned into a scowl as she turned to Pinkie. “Look loser. I don’t know who you are, but just remember this: I’m Rainbow Dash’s number one friend and you’re not going to steal that from me, got it?”

Pinkie looked scared for a second, but then her unconditional smile returned. “Of course not! Since we’re all friends around here then we can both be her friend which makes us friends too!”

“Gilda, are you coming?” Rainbow called back.

“Yeah, just a second!” Gilda yelled. She narrowed her eyes and did the whole ‘I’m watching you’ thing at Pinkie. Pinkie responded with a grin that sounded like a squeaky toy.

Gilda sighed exasperatedly and sped off after Rainbow Dash.

LATER

Rainbow Dash and Gilda flew low in the sky, talking and catching up while occasionally getting into mock fights.

Suddenly, in the midst of their conversation, Pinkie Pie bounced into view below them, falling down again, and then bouncing back up on a trampoline. “Hey guys! Is it later yet?”

Gilda shot her a murderous look, but Rainbow started cracking up. “Pinkie, you are so random!”

“Hey Dash, you wanna race to that mountain?” Gilda interrupted, deliberately drawing attention to herself and away from Pinkie.

“Sure.” Rainbow agreed. “If you’re ready to lose.” They dashed off toward to a nearby mountain at racing speed, leaving Pinkie in the metaphorical dust (as they were in the sky).

Pinkie stopped bouncing and started thinking. “Hmm, I’m going to need to get up there.”

AT THE MOUNTAIN

“Beat you!” Rainbow cheered as she tapped the peak of the mountain.

Gilda finished a moment after her. “Well, you always were the fastest.”

“Maybe not anymore.” Dash contradicted, her thoughts turning to Cobalt and her eyes starting to get a dreamy look in them. “He’s as fast as me, maybe faster. He’s awesome.”

Gilda nodded. “So, is this guy your boyfriend?”

Rainbow felt her cheeks burn. “Th-that’s none of your business.”

“And what color is he exactly?”

“Umm, blue. Why?”

“Oh, no reason.” Gilda made a note of that for later.

A loud metal on metal noise interrupted them, and they turned to the sound. Unbelievably, Pinkie was flying toward them on an inconceivably complex helicopter type contraption.

“Hi guys!” she called cheerfully. “Is it later now?”

Dash couldn’t resist the hilarity of it and busted out laughing again. “Pinkie, I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it now. You are so random!” she looked down for a second and in that small amount of time, Gilda scooped up a rock, lobbed it into the helicopter rotors, stopped them spinning, and sent the copter hovering down kept suspended by only a few balloons.

Rainbow Dash looked up again in confusion. “Where’d she go?”

“Uh, she said she had somewhere to be.” Gilda lied lamely, but believably enough to convince Rainbow.

LATER THAT DAY

Pinkie kicked a rock down the streets of Ponyville. “I don’t get it.” She muttered to herself sadly. “Gilda’s been trying to keep me away from Dashie all day. But that’s really mean. She’s not a meanie, is she?”

She suddenly heard a sharp tone from behind her, and hid in the brush beside the road as she recognized its owner.

“Why did you bump into me, you klutz?!” Gilda demanded of her cowering offender.

“Umm, I’m really sorry ma’am, I just didn’t see you–” This adversary happened to be none other than timid Fluttershy.

“No excuses!” Gilda snapped angrily. “I want you to run away. Now! And I never want to see your face again!” she towered over Fluttershy. “Got that?”

Fluttershy responded with a small squeal and ran off.

Pinkie narrowed her eyes as Gilda stalked off. “So she was a meanie!” Pinkie started to shake with anger. “I swear I’m so angry I could…” she then shook her head to throw off her vengeful thoughts. “No, I’m going to deal with this my way. Pinkie Pie style!”

ONE TRANSITION LATER

“Hi! Enjoy the party!” Pinkie waved in yet another guest to Gilda’s long due welcome party.

Yeah. That’s what happened. I wasn’t really surprised when I saw that for the first time either.

Gilda stalked over to the entrance to Sugarcube Corner. “What’re you doing, loser?”

“Just your welcome party, silly.” Pinkie informed her cheerfully.

“Ya got cake?” Gilda asked.

“Yes.”

“Then I’m in.”

Gilda entered and the crowd roared. “Welcome to Ponyville, Gilda!” she nodded and commented, “Pretty nice party.”

“Wait till you see the cake!” Pinkie announced, which was the signal to bring it out. The Cakes rolled in a great big cake with lit candles.

Gilda stared at it, uncertain.

“Well, blow it out!” Pinkie told her.

Gilda took a deep breath and exhaled hard. The candles went out for a second, and then flickered back on again. Gilda looked confused, blowing them out again. They lit again.

“Hah! Trick candles!” Rainbow Dash exclaimed from her vantage point beside Cobalt. “I wonder who could’ve done that?”

A LITTLE BIT LATER

The party progressed and Gilda kept getting pranked by somepony, but she didn’t know who. Eventually after a mishap with the pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey game, she just threw off her cover of politeness.

“You pink loser!” she roared, thrusting off her blindfold and turning on Pinkie. “You knew that I was trying to keep you away from Dash and so you threw this lame party to get your revenge! Well I’m gonna–”

She was cut off by a calm voice behind her. “Gilda, Pinkie didn’t have anything to do with the pranks.” Gilda whipped around to see Rainbow Dash talking. “She just wanted to throw a nice party for you and I set up those jokes for anypony. But if that’s what you think of my new friends, then you can just get lost. I don’t want to be your friend anymore if you’re too worried about being cool to be nice.”

“Wha-what?” Gilda seemed taken aback, as if she’d thought that Dash would back her here.

“Sheesh, what a jerk.” Cobalt muttered.

“You!” Gilda rounded on him. “You better hand over that chaos emerald you found, you amnesiac freak!”

“Emerald?” Cobalt looked more confused than angered at her insults. “You mean this?” he pulled the cyan emerald he’d found in the Everfree forest out of his mane.

“Yes that!” Gilda screeched “Shadow sent me to get that and I will get it to him! He needs all seven!” Cobalt twitched when she said the name Shadow, and fell into a state of memory-recovering unconsciousness, which was probably what kept him from pursuing Gilda when she left. Rainbow caught him as he slumped over, and shot a glare at Gilda that said a thousand angry words in less than a second.

Gilda snatched the jewel off the ground in front of Cobalt in one swift motion. “You haven’t seen the last of me, you losers.” Gilda warned as she stalked out of the door. “Trust me, I will be back!”

She left the shop in a flurry of feathers and a state of chaos.

Once everypony had uneasily left the building, and only the Mane 6, Spike, and Cobalt were left, he began to stir.

“Ohh, my head.” Cobalt put his hoof to his temple. “Did anyone happen to get what just happened?”

“Gilda said Shadow and you passed out, then took your emerald and left.” Spike informed him. “What happened with you?”

“I don’t know.” Cobalt muttered. “I heard Shadow, and a blurry memory came back and made my head hurt so much I had to black out.”

“Whatever sort of memory could do that?” Rarity asked concernedly.

“Umm, I was in… outer space I think? And there was somepony who looked like me near me, but darker. And we were charging a building in outer space?” he didn’t understand that part. “And then when it was over, the other guy, I think I thought he died.”

A collective gasp rose.

“Died?” Twilight asked aghast. She decided to put her next thought out there. “D-do you suppose that the other guy was Shadow?”

“Yes. No. Maybe. I don’t know.” Cobalt gritted his teeth, hating not knowing. “I guess maybe. I’ll have to remember more to clarify though.”

“I think that was a name from your past, and you should remember it.” Twilight advised him. “I also believe that emerald is a link to your memories, and since Gilda mentioned seven of them, maybe you should try to find all of them. Maybe that could work.”

“It has before.” Cobalt said definitely, then his eyes clouded. “Or, I think it has. Gah, memory loss is so annoying!”

Spike nodded. “I’ll send a note to Princess Celestia asking if she’s found anything like those emerald thingies. Until then, you should just focus on remembering stuff.”

“Yep.” Applejack agreed. “It seems right now yer up a creek without a paddle, sugarcube.”

“It does sound sensible.” Fluttershy put in quietly.

“Oooh!” Pinkie exclaimed, bouncing. “It’ll be so fun like a scavenger hunt!”

“If you’re in, I’m in.” Rainbow said with a determined nod.

Cobalt looked around at all his friends. “Let’s do it.”

ELSEWHERE, DEEP IN THE EVERFREE FOREST

“I got it.” Gilda said, gliding in next to a dark figure and handing him the cyan emerald.

“Good.” The figure said in a deep voice. He held up the emerald and grinned. “One down, six to go.”

Author's Note:

I think this one was better than the others before it by a long shot. Seriously, though, the best kicks in way later, so please, once again, bear with me until then.