• Published 19th Jan 2015
  • 1,273 Views, 30 Comments

All the Elements for Disaster - Radicool223



When a confused blue pegasus seeks help from Princess Celestia and gets sent for memory help to Twilight Sparkle right before the MLP FIM TV series, what could possibly go wrong? A lot, that's what.

  • ...
11
 30
 1,273

Friendship is Magic: Part 1

Cobalt Spikes woke to the baby dragon from the night before whacking him over the head with a ruler.

“INTRUDER!” the dragon yelled, swinging the ruler like a club.

“Ow.” Cobalt muttered, since it didn’t really hurt that much. First he glanced at the clock, which read eleven AM, then he desperately racked his memory for something to help him get the dragon off him, but the only thing he could remember was what he hoped was its name.

“Spike! Seriously, Twilight let me stay here! Now get offa me!” he complained, blocking another swing with his foreleg.

Spike stopped trying to murder him with a measurement tool for a second and looked at him curiously.

“Twilight let you stay here?” he sounded disbelieving.

“That’s what I just said! Now if you could put down your weapon for a second I can explain!”

ONE AMNESIAC EXPLANATION LATER

“Ohh, so that’s what she meant before she went off to study.” Spike realized.

“And you didn’t see me when you woke up?”

“I was half unconscious, don’t judge!”

Cobalt rolled his green eyes. “Whatever. She told me to ask you to help me find her.”

“Right now she’s under her favorite tree, so I can find her. C’mon!”

The pair exited the library and started through town. After a while, Cobalt noticed some of the other ponies with wings were flying. Huh. He wondered. Maybe I can

He gave his own wings an experimental flap and he was instantly propelled at high speeds into the air. “Yaah!” he yelled in surprise, forgetting to keep flapping and falling on his face.

Spike turned and looked at him like he was nuts. “What the hay just happened to you?”

“I tried to fly.” Cobalt replied, brushing some dirt off his wings.

“Heh, well first lesson. You stop flapping you fall.” Spike said, just short of bursting out laughing at his companion’s incompetent takeoff.

Cobalt glared at him. “Gee, thank you Corporal Duh.” He tried to take off again and this time managed to stay in the air.

Then something peculiar happened. A wide grin stretched across his face and his eyes flashed.

“I gotta go faster.”

He shot forward, leaving a gust of wind in his wake. He returned five seconds later and stopped dead in the air.

“What the what the whaa?” Spike sputtered in utter amazement.

“I have NO freaking idea!” Cobalt exclaimed, still giddy on his newfound ability. “I just remembered a little bit about myself and that’s that I have a need for speed.” He flew super speed circles around Spike and made him dizzy.

“Dude, stop, you’re gonna make me hurl.” Spike said dazedly, his eyes spinning in their sockets. He shook his head and they returned to normal.

Cobalt stopped and landed. “Hah, sorry! It’s just so cool!”

Spike smiled. “Yeah, it is, but we’ve got to get to Twilight.”

At just that exact moment a specific purple unicorn ran past them both, muttering about nightmares and elements.

Cobalt frowned. “Err, what just happened?”

“She discovered something in her books that made her flip out and she’s gonna make yours truly send Celestia a letter.” Spike explained.

“In that case we better get back.” Cobalt said. “Hop on.”

Spike vaulted onto Cobalt’s back and he took off. The rushed through the city streets with Spike desperately holding on, and they beat Twilight to the library doors by about three or so seconds.

“Stop!” Cobalt yelled when she nearly ran into him. She skidded to a halt and fell on her hindquarters. “Uhh, what’s up?” Cobalt said lamely.

Twilight got a hard determined look in her eyes and pushed past him. “Sending a letter about the nearing disaster.” She explained shortly, pulling Spike off his back.

Cobalt sat down, feeling he might be waiting for a while. He passed about five minutes trying to count the total number of ponies that passed the library, but lost count at about ninety.

Then the door burst open and Twilight and Spike stormed out, or at least Twilight did. Spike more rained.

“Sorry to drag you on a long trip on your first full day of amnesia Cobalt, but I’ve just been assigned to a town called Ponyville to supervise the Summer Sun Celebration.” She told him. “We leave in an hour.”

ONE VERY, VERY, VERY BORING ONE AND A HALF HOURS LATER

The three were sitting in a carriage pulled by older pegasi from Canterlot to Ponyville.

“Ugh, I can’t believe I have to supervise this when the world might end tomorrow.” Twilight complained.

“Cheer up Twilight, maybe it’ll be fun.” Spike reasoned.

“I think I remember what fun is.” Cobalt put in. “And exploring new places is definitely fun.”

“Yeah, but making new friends really?” Twilight sighed.

“Don’t forget the part about not reading dusty old books anymore.” Spike smiled. “That I could get used to.”

Cobalt tapped his hoof impatiently. “What’s the holdup? I could’ve gotten there and back three times already!”

“You think it’s easy to carry a carriage and not drop it?” one of the pegasi shot back.

“Santa Claus’ reindeer do it!” Cobalt snapped, yet another tiny piece of memory returning.

They landed and Twilight thanked the pegasi for the ride.

They walked a little ways before running into a pink earth pony with a strangely inflated mane. She let out a loud gasp and defied physics for a second by floating into the air, then dashed off at an unnatural speed for a non-pegasus.

“Ooookay then. Where to first?” Cobalt asked.

Spike examined the letter. “Says here we’re going to a place called Sweet Apple Acres to check on the food.”

Cobalt grinned. “Sounds cool. Spike, hop on, Twilight, hold on.” He said, extending a hoof. Twilight took it and Spike hopped on his back, and he took off in the general direction of the farm.

ONE FLIGHT LATER

“And here we are.” Cobalt announced, landing and letting his passengers off near a picnic table full of apple themed food.

Twilight immediately staggered over to a bush and did something that for the weak of stomach I shall leave out.

She walked back over, wiping her mouth. “Never. EVER. Again.” She stammered.

“Well howdy do pardner?” an unfamiliar southern voice came from behind all of them. They turned to see an orange earth pony with freckles and a cowboy hat smiling at them.

“Ah, you must be Applejack!” Twilight said, extending a foreleg in greeting. Applejack took it and shook it heartily.

“Hello y’all! Can I get yer names?”

“I’m Spike!” Spike said happily.

“Twilight Sparkle.” Twilight nodded.

“I’m currently Cobalt Spikes.” Cobalt supplied.

“Currently?” Applejack sounded confused.

“He’s got amnesia.” Twilight said.

“Amnesia huh?” Applejack nodded. “Mighty rare for a pony, but I guess I cain’t judge. Y’all better meet mah family!” she then called out in a voice much louder than the one she’d used before. “SOUP’S ON EVERYPONY!”

Almost instantly a giant crowd of ponies surrounded the four.

There were a lot of introductions, but I’m gonna skip to the only one that I can make funny.

“And that’s Granny Smith!” Applejack finished, gesturing to a withered old greenish earth pony.

“I should’ve been dead five years ago!” Granny Smith said.

Cobalt whistled lowly. “Big family.”

“Tell me about it.” Spike added.

“Well, try some food, see how ya like it.” Applejack offered.

Twilight stepped backward politely. “Oh no, I couldn’t.”

The little yellow pony with the big pink bow stepped forward with her pupils all huge. “Oh please will you try it, we’ve worked really hard to make it good.” She pleaded.

Cobalt twitched and screwed up his face.

“Cobalt, what’s wrong?” Twilight asked worriedly.

“Cuteness. Overload.” He managed to say, and then fell on his side, completely unconscious.

ONE FAINTING LATER

Cobalt awoke for the second time that day being dragged by the tail by Spike. He looked around and saw that they’d made it back to Ponyville in the time he’d been out.

“Dude, I’m up.” He told Spike.

Spike let his tail go with a heavy and relieved sigh. “Whew, I thought I’d have to drag you forever.”

Cobalt rolled his eyes. “Hooray.” He got to his hooves and stretched his wings.

“Okay, says next we should find a pegasus pony named Rainbow Dash who will be keeping the skies clear.” Twilight interrupted. She cocked her head back. “The sky doesn’t look clear though.”

A rainbow colored missile slammed into her at that moment. She tumbled and rolled in the dirt from the impact, and by the time the dust cleared, a rainbow pegasus whom Cobalt assumed was Rainbow Dash was springing off her.

“Oops, sorry.” Rainbow said with an apologetic grin. “I guess you’re a bit dirty.” She zoomed off and returned with a rainy cloud. To Cobalt’s amazement, she placed it above Twilight and stomped on it, making the rain come out in a perfect cloud shaped shower and returning it to its natural white color.

Something about that didn’t seem natural to him.

Twilight was sopping wet in a pile of mud and didn’t look happy about it.

Rainbow Dash made a suppressed giggle and then said, “Um, my bad. Here, let me dry you off with my grade A patent pending Rainblow Dry!”

She proceeded to fly in a circle, creating a rainbow colored tornado around Twilight. By the time she slowed down, Twilight looked normal, but then her hair poofed out into a curly mess.

Rainbow Dash couldn’t take it any more, she absolutely broke down laughing, rolling on the ground. Spike and Cobalt took one glance and joined her.

Twilight rolled her eyes and joined her friends.

“So, Rainbow Dash, am I right?” she asked politely.

Rainbow stopped laughing and flew into the air, hovering upright and pointing at herself proudly. “That’s me, the one and only! I’m gonna be in the Wonderbolts someday!”

Twilight racked her brain and came up with a reverse psychology mechanism.

“Well,” she said with a small smile. “I doubt that the Wonderbolts would ever accept a pegasus that can’t even keep the skies clear.” She gestured to the cloudy sky.

“Hey, whoa, whoa, whoa!” Dash protested. “I could clear the sky in ten seconds flat!”

“Oh really? Prove it.” Cobalt challenged, wanting to see this pony’s game. She seemed cool enough to hang out with even if she was a girl.

Instantly Dash shot off, busting through clouds with amazing speed and agility. She returned a very short time later, landing with a proud grin. “See! Ten. Seconds. Flat.”

“She’s right.” Spike said, holding up an old timey stopwatch with the needle exactly on ten.

Cobalt saw a cloud in the distance that Rainbow seemed not to have seen. “Say, you missed one.” He commented.

Rainbow facehooved. “Oh horsefeathers. I–”

Cobalt raised a hoof to silence her. “I got this.” He took off, sped toward it, and kicked it out, doing what he’d seen her do, and then returned all in less than three seconds.

Rainbow Dash gaped openmouthed for a second, but then her face stretched into a grin. She flew over and put a foreleg around Cobalt’s neck, giving him a friendly noogie.

“You, sir, are my bro!” she exclaimed. “I’ve got to get you a job as weather pony!”

“Sorry, but we aren’t planning to stay for longer than tonight.” Twilight put in.

It would be an understatement to say that Rainbow’s face fell. Her entire happiness vanished on the spot, and she let go of Cobalt and landed. “Oh. Well, nice to meet you then and I guess I’ll see you around.” She murmured vaguely, taking off.

“Really?” Cobalt demanded of Twilight.

“What?” she asked, unaware of something being wrong.

“How insensitive can you get?!” Spike exclaimed. “It was obvious that that Colorful Splash or something pony was lonely and was really enjoying someone who was like her for once, and now she’s gonna be all sad and not even try to be friends with Cobalt!”

Twilight seemed to realize what exactly she had done, and she looked down in guilt. “Oh.”

“Look, I’d better…” Cobalt gestured in the direction Rainbow had left in and took off.

Cobalt spent the entire rest of the day looking for her and couldn’t find a trace. He discovered a city made of clouds above Ponyville that only pegasi could live on, and he looked all through there, but he still couldn’t find anything.

Eventually he gave up and went to the place he knew he and Twilight and Spike were staying, the library.

He landed and saw Twilight and Spike approaching, saying a farewell to a light yellow pegasus with long pink hair.

When they got there, Spike started the conversation.

“So, did you have any luck?” he asked.

“No.” Cobalt replied miserably. He knew the reason why he was so despondent at not being able to find her. If there was one thing that he was sure about himself, it was that he hated to fail at anything.

“Cobalt, I just want to apologize about what I did back there.” Twilight said, looking down. “It was kind of stupid and I didn’t really think.”

“S’okay Twilight.” Cobalt reassured the lavender unicorn. “I wouldn’t have been able to be friends with her for more than a day anyway. How did your events go?”

“Well, first we went to Rarity and Twilight got her hair fixed,” he got all mushy sounding when he mentioned Rarity, and Cobalt assumed he had a crush on her. “And then we sort of just managed to get away from Fluttershy. So that’s about it.”

“Cool.” Cobalt said. “Well, might as well get some rest.” He opened the door and instead of being greeted by a quiet and orderly library, they were faced by a loud party.

“Hiya guys!” the pink pony from before defied physics once again by appearing from the ceiling rather than the floor. “I’m Pinkamena Diane Pie, but everyone just calls me Pinkie Pie! I put this party together as a welcome to Ponyville celebration and a Summer Sun Celebration party! So remember when I first saw you and I was all–”

ONE GASP NOISE LATER

“And then I ran away, well that was because I know everypony in Ponyville but I didn’t know you so that means you’re new and all new residents should get a welcome party because that’s just how we do here!”

She didn’t take a breath in that entire monologue and for a moment Cobalt was worried that she might suffocate.

He answered with a simple. “Okay then.”

Pinkie Pie giggled. “Come on in and let’s kick this party up to a one hundred and one!”

Cobalt and Spike stepped right in, completely confident in this social situation, but Twilight followed more slowly as she had never really been to a party.

“Have a drink!” Pinkie offered, gesturing to the concessions table. Twilight, unsure of what exactly to drink, levitated the nearest bottle of something toward herself and took a tentative sip, but was unpleasantly surprised when she realized that her mouth was on fire and she seemed to literally catch ablaze. She ran off in pursuit of some water, leaving Cobalt and Spike standing dumbfounded at the whole scene.

“Why would you bring triple X hot sauce to a party?” Spike asked, reading the label on the bottle.

Pinkie snatched it out of his hand and put some on a cupcake. “Because it’s good! Duh!” she took a big bite.

Cobalt rolled his eyes and wandered away to mingle, hoping to maybe find Rainbow Dash. His wish came true and he found her sitting alone at a table, sipping out of a paper cup.

“What’s up?” he asked, sliding onto the seat across from hers. “I couldn’t find you all day.”

She looked up confusedly, wondering who was speaking, then she saw Cobalt and a little sparkle returned to her eyes. “Hi Cobalt. I was sort of exploring the woods.”

“Cool, I like exploring.” He said happily, then put a hoof to his head. “At least I think I do.”

She looked even more confused at that, and Cobalt realized he hadn’t explained his amnesia to her yet.

“See, I sort of lost all my memory at some point and I can only remember teeny little bits. I’m with Twilight to try to recover a bit of it as an order from Princess Celestia.” He explained.

“Hmm, cool.” Rainbow thought for a moment. “Well, if I’d lost my memory, I would go to the DJ and see if I could remember anything based on the music.”

Cobalt hadn’t thought of that yet. “Good call.” he admitted. “I’ll try that.”

He got up, still feeling as though she had deliberately tried to get him away for some reason, but he wasn’t in any place to judge. He trotted over to the DJ station and confronted the pony in charge. She had purple sunglasses, which he found odd, but again, he wasn’t in any place to judge.

“Hey, can I see your list of songs?” he called over the music pumping.

“Sure bro! Anything for a guest of honor!” she passed him a sheet of paper containing innumerable songs. To his disappointment, there wasn’t anything he recognized.

He passed the list back. “Got anything new or without lyrics?” he asked.

The DJ seemed to ponder this for a moment. “Yeah, I got something. You wanna karaoke it?”

“Heck yeah I do!” Cobalt exclaimed. “Pass me the mic and spin it!”

She handed him the microphone and spoke into another littler microphone that connected to the speakers. “Hey all you party ponies! I got a guest of honor up here named… uh…”

“Cobalt.” He supplied.

“Named Cobalt and he’s gonna do some karaoke up in this house!”

A deafening cheer arose from the assembled ponies and the DJ put the record on the player.

IN THE SONG

Rainbow Dash made her way to the front of the crowd, which was cheering wildly now, and listened in awe to his singing.
As she listened, something stirred inside of her. Something she’d never felt before. Something that made her feel… happy. Her wings started to stretch out on their own, and a red glow appeared on her cheeks as she listened to the sound of Cobalt’s voice.

Pinkie Pie bounced in out of nowhere. “Hey Dashie!” her expression changed from happiness to confusion. “Uh Dashie, your face looks more, um, colorful than usual, and are you about to take off or something?”

Rainbow Dash looked at Pinkie and realized what was going on.

“Oh, um,” she said, trying to save face. “I was just, um, oh forget it!” she took advantage of her already outstretched wings and took off onto the stage. She snatched the microphone out of Cobalt’s hoof and continued in his song (which was some sort of fast paced rock that she didn't recognize, but who cared?).

AFTER THE SONG

The music stopped and Rainbow hugged Cobalt, not knowing why, but only knowing that it made her insides feel warm, and that was good enough for her.

IN TWILIGHT’S NEW LOFT

Spike opened the door and looked inside with a lampshade on his head.

“Hey, Twilight, are you sure that you don’t want to come down and party?” he asked. “Rainbow Dash and Cobalt are going insane!”

Twilight raised her head a little from lying down. “They’ve made up then.” She let out a deep sigh. “No, I don’t want to party Spike. All the ponies in this town are NUTS! All making friends and stuff, it’s just crazy!”

Spike shrugged. “Okay then. Suit yourself.”

BACK DOWNSTAIRS

Cobalt laughed nervously. “Um, Dash, you can stop hugging me now.”

Rainbow broke away from him blushing furiously. “Uhh.”

“S’cool. Those were some epic lines you were throwing down back there! How’d you learn to do that?”

“Um, I guess just natural ability.” She admitted sheepishly.

“That’s so freaking cool!” Cobalt exclaimed.

There was an awkward silence.

“Sooo.” Cobalt tried. “Wanna dance?”

Dash’s face completely flooded with red. “Uhhhh…” her thoughts became lightheaded and unclear. She giggled in a high-pitched voice. “Uh, s-sure!”

They landed and started to dance happily to the beat.

THE NEXT DAY

“Hey, hey! Twilight! Wake up!” Twilight’s eyes flickered open. Spike was trying to wake her up.

“Twilight! The party’s over and you’re about to miss the Summer Sun Celebration!” he yelled.

Her eyes shot open. “Oh no!” she knew the apocalypse was about to come and she was about to sleep through it!

She got onto her hooves and got Spike onto her back. She didn’t waste a moment running out the door and to town hall.

The mayor was just finishing her announcements and introducing Princess Celestia.

And then a curtain supposed to be veiling Celestia was pulled away revealing… nopony.

A collective gasp rose from the assembled ponies, and seconds seemed to stretch for hours. Then a wisp of dark blue smoke came out of the place where Celestia was supposed to appear. The wisp solidified into the shape of a menacing dark blue alicorn and clearly became a living pony.

“CITIZENS OF EQUESTRIA!” the alicorn boomed. “BOW TO YOUR RULER! LONG I HAVE WAITED IN MY BANISHMENT IN MY MOON, AND I HAVE RETURNED! BOW TO NIGHTMARE MOON!”

Twilight gasped in horror. She had been right.

“Why I oughta!” Rainbow Dash said from where she was standing. She took off to try to pummel Nightmare Moon, but was held back by the tail by Applejack.

“Hold on there sugarcube, don’t do anything hasty now.” She said through a mouthful of tail.

“No. Let her go.” Cobalt ordered Applejack.

Applejack looked confused. “Ya sure about that pardner?”

“Yes, she knows what she’s doing.” He narrowed his eyes. “And so do I.” He took off as Applejack let Rainbow go, and they accelerated toward Nightmare Moon together.

Nightmare saw Rainbow coming, as she was more noticeable due to her coloring, and teleported slightly to her left to dodge, right into Cobalt’s path. He slammed his hoof right into her jaw and a fang fell out. He just landed next to her with an angry expression on his face. She looked stunned that anypony would put up such a fierce resistance to her power, and glared at him contemptuously. “WHO DOST THOU THINK THOU ART?!” she demanded.

Cobalt grinned and his eyes flashed. “I’m Sonic. Sonic the Hedgehog!”