• Published 24th Aug 2014
  • 1,083 Views, 14 Comments

Wish of a Princess - Tales Trails



Friendship and Love aren't the only magic in Equestria for sometimes a heart felt wish can literally reshape the world.

  • ...
11
 14
 1,083

Prolouge

Prologue: Year 1008 CM (Celestial Monarchy)

“Twilight Sparkle you have excelled at the written portion of the exam,” the grey unicorn said from a seat in the back of the lecture hall, at Princess Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns, causing the lavender unicorn filly’s smile to beam. “You now have two minutes to complete the practical application portion of the test.”

Twilight looked around the lecture hall, and for a brief moment imagined sitting in one of the seats listening to a lecture on the anthropomorphic spell, she even let the image of her dressed in the black gown of a professor lecturing to her own students. The thought left her feeling giddy. She knew her destiny was to study magic. She just knew that her cutie mark would be magical too. She might get a wand or an enchanted scroll something that truly expressed her love for magical study.
A teaching assistant, a young unicorn stallion his yellow aura encapsulating a cart, then wheeled the cart in front of Twilight. The filly looked down at the purplish green egg in a bed of straw and nodded her head to the side before seeing the simple instructions, assist the baby dragon by opening the egg. Twilight looked up at the panel of judges and confidently nodded her head singling she was ready.

“Your time begins now,” the grey unicorn stated taking a stopwatch in his magical aura and clicking it sending the gears in motion and eliciting a “tick-tick-tick-tick-tick”

Twilight closed her eyes and focused her magical energy to her horn just as her mother had taught her. The magenta aura began slowly focus around her and extend out to the egg. She could feel the shell and its own unique and magical aura beneath. She felt the egg move, “I’m doing it” she thought to herself, and then her magic slipped and faded. She opened her eyes and stared at the egg, then focused again, and nothing. The fear of disappointing her mother crept into her mind. “tick-tick-tick-tick-tick” She tried to push the thought aside. She looked at the egg again and tried another angel in to help reset her thoughts. “WHY IS THIS NOT WORKING!” a part of her mind screamed in frustration. “Okay, Twilight, you can do this. “tick-tick-tick” You were born to do magic, you’re a unicorn. “tick-tick-tick” You brother does magic. Your mom does magic, your mom is amazing at magic. You are just like her. You can do this. “Tick-tick-tick” You just need to focus. You just need to take a step back,” her inner monologue reasoned. Twilight could feel the judges watching her, (and appropriately judging) her as she continued to focus her magical energy, “All right you magic is a reservoir you just need to let it gently flow over the dam to your horn, from potential magic to present magic,” she explained to herself. “tick-tick-tick” Her frustration grew as the magic pushed against the wall of the dam but wouldn’t crest. The sweat from her brow began to flow into her eyes, another distraction, she couldn’t afford.



The panic was building and her mind knew that she needed to calm down or the magic wouldn’t come, but it only became worse. The thoughts of her family’s disappointment over whelmed her; the salty feeling in her eyes was no longer sweat but, the sting of tears. “tick-tick-tick” She was good at keeping time and knew hers was almost up, and with a sigh, plopped onto her hunches and looked back up at the judges, “I’m sorry I wasted your time,” she said resigned with the fact that she wasn’t going to get it. “I knew it, mother was right, I’m still too young.”

The head judge said nothing just looking at his stop watch and just as he was about to acknowledge the filly, with his mechanical words, “Time is up” the building shook. He didn’t know what was up or down, he only caught a glimpse of a blinding white light in front of him where the filly had been standing, and was now floating. He tried to focus his own magic, and contain the unicorns surge, he had been a teacher for twenty years and was used to young magic users having uncontrolled outburst of power, but he could feel, his power was far from enough to contain it. He reached out to the other test proctors and tried to combine his energies with theirs to beat back the radiating power.

A second shock shook the building as the dragons egg exploded and the room filled with a purple and green goliath now breaking through the ceiling. He forgot his focus for a moment too, as he thought of his children and his grand foals, thinking that morning was the last time he was going to have kissed his wife goodbye. “I wonder if they will name a classroom after me,” he mused.
The judge wasn’t the only one in the room contemplating his fate the filly, though enraptured in the magical surge, was aware. Twilight was lost in a deluge of power. She could only feel as if the dam separating her potential magic from her present magic had failed as if something very large and very powerful had crashed into it and her mind and body was being flooded with mystical energy. A very small part of her mind was conscious and scared and pleaded for help, screamed HELP! as her mental self tried to remain about the metaphorical magical water. Her mind and body felt on fire at the same time cold as ice as the waves of magic pulsed through her. She could feel what was left of her conscious mind slipping under, knowing that her body may just explode.
The judge then caught sight of the lavender filly again and decided. “I am not going to go out like this killed by the magical surge of a 10 year old unicorn.” He redoubled his effort and groaned with exertion then it all stopped, he floated to his seat as the infant dragon returned to its size and he smiled to himself, “I did it!” The self congratulations came a bit too soon as he looked back at the filly now shrouded from view in the snowy white feathers of their Alicorn monarch.

The scared filly looked up at the regal Alicorn and began to nervously sob afraid of punishment for the destruction of the classroom and the embarrassment of her family. The white Alicorn looked down at Twilight Sparkle and to the filly’s surprise the eyes of her monarch were not filled with anger, only concern, comfort and a hint of pride and the small lavender Alicorn before her.

Twilight took a deep breath reassured by the protective aura of the princess and said with sincerity from the bottom of her hooves, “I’m sorry.”

Author's Note:

I know, I'm a writer, but I'm bad at grammar. I've had a lot of help from River Ann Trails in the editing department. I'll try and keep up with any corrections the readers suggest. The story is going to have a little bit of everything, and takes place after MMC and ignores canon after that.