• Published 24th Aug 2014
  • 1,083 Views, 14 Comments

Wish of a Princess - Tales Trails



Friendship and Love aren't the only magic in Equestria for sometimes a heart felt wish can literally reshape the world.

  • ...
11
 14
 1,083

Runaway Princess

Runaway Princess

Twilight jerked her head up and her wings back trying to come to a stop in the middle of the air as she thrust her for hooves out in front of her to stop her momentum from slamming her into the side of the mountain. The young purple princess distracted by the argument replaying in her head. She had never in her life had a fight with her mother. “Fight, what a terrible word to describe the argument. But, that’s what it was,” she winced at the thoughts. The thoughts distracting her left her to fly by instinct alone. She wasn’t a very great flyer; she was certainly more Fluttershy than Rainbow Dash. The wings of an alicorn being larger than average pegasi let her glide more easily, like a kestrel bird and that helped her save energy. She desperately tried to think past the chaos in her mind, the images that disturbed her of her mother, of Celestia, the sight of the regal alicorn so wounded, the hurt in her eyes when she shouted back at her the most poisonous thing she could think of “You are not my mother!” The way she just teleported to one of the palace walls then jumped into the air to get away. Her instinct wanted to take her back to Ponyville, but as her logical mind fought for control of her emotions, she realized that was the first place her mother would look. The guard station would no doubt be alerted to her elopement from the palace and would be ready to meet her and “encourage” her to return to the place. She knew the guard couldn’t force her to return. She was one of the most powerful magic users in equestrian even before she ascended to alicornhood. But, she didn’t want to fight or hurt any pony so she needed another option. She couldn’t go back. She couldn’t face the princess so soon after what was said, she may have been an expert in friendship, but the relationship between mothers and their daughters and reality altering spells was a whole different field of study, “At least I could consider myself a pioneer of a new field,” she chuckled through the still flowing tears.

The next refuge she thought of was the castle in the Everfree; it had always been one of her favorite places. She often enjoyed getting lost in the ruins, not that it happened much anymore since she had frequented it the shell of a castle a lot being so close to Ponyville. But, no, that would be the second place the guard would look. She went to through the list of her friends and knew each of them would let her stay with them no questions asked, and if the guard came would defend her even if it meant assaulting the guard. She didn’t want them to get into trouble. The problem was between her and Celestia. The next logical list she went through was places farther away Vanhoover, Trottingham, Baltimare, Manehatten, “That’s it!” she said to herself aloud. Manehatten, Rarity had an apartment there, for her extended business trips, she definitely wouldn’t mind if she crashed there for a while.

But, Manehatten was more than three days away at her top speed, she knew that she wouldn’t be able to do that and couldn’t fly that far even at a casual speed. She just didn’t have that kind of endurance even as an alicorn. She could try to make it half way.
* * * *
“Which way did she go?” Rose Quartz said as she searched the sky.

“I, I, don’t know,” Golden Leaf said as they sat in the shadows of one of the castle parapets.

“She left the castle without guards and is emotional,” Rose Quartz said. “We could have our chance to grab her.”

“Yes, because a emotional rage filled alicorn is who we want to take on now,” Golden replied to her partner.

“It’s our job. It’s what we were sent to do,” Rose Quartz argued.

“Well I just don’t think going after her now is the smartest idea? Even if you think it’s the best chance we’ve got,” she said.

“She must have teleported at some point. I just don’t see her. I bet she went back to Ponyville,” Rose Quartz said continuing to scan the sky.

“We should head back and see if she show’s up,” Golden Leaf said just before they both leaped into the air and soaring through the shadows of Canterlot out of view of the guard.
* * * *

The hours fly by and so did she, the towns, and small cities and countryside passing by underneath. Twilight was exhausted. She had used some spells to help her stay awake and fly for the last 37 hours but she was at her limit and needed to stop soon or fall out of the sky. She looked below for a quiet place to stop; she hoped for a small town or a farm a place to small or out of the way for a garrison of guard to be stationed. As Luna’s moon began to climb in the air she began counting the below her as the twinkling lights of the towns began to blend with the starts of the night sky at the horizon. The light of a campfire caught her eye below and she began to glide a slow circle down for a closer inspection. A campfire would be perfect. She would be miles away from anywhere and would most likely be welcomed at the by the traveler being a princess and she would be well on her way before the traveler meet anypony else the next morning to tell them about their royal encounter.

Twilight set down just outside of the fire light sticking to the shadows to assess the situation. A large wagon sat its wheels chalked to keep it from rolling away. The lone pony seemed to be sleeping under a blanket near the warm fire. The young princess stepped into the light and cleared her throat in hopes to awaking the slumber pony, who looked more and more like a lump under the blanket.

“Excuse me?” Twilight said almost sounding like her butter colored friend. “Excuse me? But, would you mind if I shared your campfire?”

The pony didn’t respond. She stepped closer trying not to frighten the sleeping pony and reached out her hoof to tap the camper on what she assumed was the shoulder. Her hoof connected to the blanket as she noticed the blanket was rising or falling with the ponies breath, with only concern in Twilights mind she pulled back the blanket with her telekinesis. A stuffed pony of straw was all she found. She looked around the campfire quickly to see if there was somepony spying on her in the distance.

“ROOOOAR!!!!!!” filled the air and the ears of the princess and she jerked to full attention. “A trap!,” she thought and began to charge her horn.

She looked out across the plane and saw nothing, but grass blowing in the wind and the stars in the sky. But something was wrong. The stars, were off? Twilight had spent her life looking at the stars and plotting their movements and she knew her direction and the stars weren’t right. The stars seemed to be moving. The stars seemed to be moving closer. A second deafening ROOOAR! Filled the night air as the stars began to take shape, a slight glow of starlight mapping out a shape, the shape of an Ursa Minor the alicorn was shocked.

Twilight’s muscles tensed and she braced herself against the ground and fired a quick magic bolt at the snarling starbeast. The bolt was enough power to stun a manticore but just passed right through the towering monster as it lumbered closer. She had done it before as a unicorn so why not know, she wrapped the beast in her magic and began to shrink it around the creature planning on levitating it and flinging it as far into the sky as possible in hope it would get stuck there. Twilights eyes widened in shock as the telekinetic spell shrank right through the ursa as if nothing was there. The logic switch in her brain than clicked, and she sent a dispersing spell into the air, and the ursa vanished. “It was an illusion,” she said to herself, puzzled at the elaborate ruse. The feeling of a magical grip wrap around her and begin to lift her off the ground brought her back to the present. She could feel the spell, it was strong, it might have been a struggle for an average unicorn to shake but she did it with little more than a mental shrug. Twilight dropped to the ground and turned to face her attacker.

“You!” Twilight shouted.

“You!” the unicorn shouted.
“Trixie would like to know now if it is the practice of royalty to sneak up on citizens as they sleep,” the blue unicorn with the white mane said with a haughty tone.
“Where did you come from?” Twilight asked still in shock at identity of the mare before her.
“Trixies was sleeping in Trixies bed in her wagon,” Trixie said pointing behind her. “That is until somepony set off the wards Trixie placed around her camp to warn her of brigands.”

“Ah, no, its just, I was, I was,” Twilight tried to explain, “I just saw the fire and thought?”

“You would wreak havoc one Trixies life once again,” the unicorn said.

“I just needed a place…” Twilight started.

“Go back to your castle and your friends Twilight Sparkle,” Trixie said plopping down beside the fire. “Go back to your perfect life.”

“I…I..can’t,” Twilight said before collapsing to the ground and beginning to sob.

”And why would that be?” Trixie asked.

“I used to think I belonged in Canterlot… but I had a fight with my mother,” she said.

“Well you are a grown mare and you are an alicorn and you live in Ponyville. Why don’t you just go home?” Trixie reasoned confused by the emotional state of the young princess

“I couldn’t she’s send someone to bring me back to Canterlot,” Twilight said looking at Trixie through her tears.

“Your mother can not drag you back home besides, I’d imagine, being Princess you could just tell Princess Celestia and your mother would back off,” Trixie said feeling twilight was sounding like a child.

“But, my mother is the princess,” Twilight said sobbing even harder out of frustration.

“Oh?” Really, the princess?” Trixie asked.

Twilight just nodded her head.

“The Princess of the Sun, Celestia the immortal alicorn that brings forth the dawn each, the ruler of Equestria is your mother?” she asked again still sure she was missing something.

The princess wiped her tears with the back of her foreleg and nodded again.

“Could I perhaps stay with you tonight? I just can’t fly anymore,” Twilight asked sheepishly.

“Fine,” Trixie said using her magic to unlock the steps to the inside of her wagon.

“Thank you,” Twilight said following her up the steps to see a small mattress, surrounded by props, books, food and other supplies. She no longer considered Trixie an enemy and thought they might be close to being friends. She was sure that the close surroundings would be a definite test of the budding friendship. Twilight rolled onto her side leaving space between her and the show mare as each of them faced the sides of the wagon.

“Trixie?” she managed to say. “Why?”

“Why what Twilight Sparkle?” she replied.

“Why take me in?” she asked.

“Because, Trixie knows too well how difficult family can be,” the showmare said with a sigh hoping that would be the end of the conversation.

“Thank you,” was all Twilight said not wanting to pry any farther and just hoping Luna would help keep her dreams peaceful.

“Trixie has one more thing to say to you. You may share Trixie’s bed roll, but just a warning, the Great and Powerful Trixie doesn’t cuddle,” the showmare said before turning on her side away from Twilight and trying to return to sleep.

Twilight awoke from her exhausted slumber and smiled the feeling the warmth of a hoof wrapped around her neck and the muzzle of a sleeping mare. The blue unicorn seemed to have nestled her way under one of Twilights wings. “the Great and Powerful Trixie doesn’t cuddle,yeah right,” she thought to herself. The sun began to rise over the horizon and the memories of yesterday began to flood back into her mind and the tears began to flow again.

“Trixie would appreciate it if you didn’t attempt to drown her,” the unicorn said rolling out from under the alicorns wing. “Would you like some breakfast?”

Twilight nodded her head and attempted to stop her tears, “Yes, thank you.”

“Let us sit by the fire then,” the showmare said tripping the switch lowering the staircase.

The unicorn levitated two bowls and a bag of oats and poured two bowls. She handed off the bowls and then levitated two juice boxes out of her carriage.

“Where were you headed before you decided to land and set off Trixie’s alarms like a brigand?” the mare asked before taking a sip from her juice box.

“I was flying to Manehatten. I figured that I could hide there until I figure out what I do next,” Twilight said.

“Trixie has always had success in Manehatten, she will acompony you,” she said. “You may even ride in Trixies wagon if you’d like.”

“But, why?” Twilight asked, shocked at the offer.

“Lets just say Trixie understands,” she said.

“Thank you,” Twilight said.

“You’re welcome,” Trixie mumbled. “The Great and Powerful Trixie has learned a lot about caring for others thanks to Twilight Sparkle.”

Trixie’s wagon slowly rolled down the road powered by its magical motor its two passengers sitting on the on the bench watching the road ahead. The great and generous Trixie and loaned the runaway princess one of her cloaks to cover her wings, knowing that two unicorns riding through a small town would go largely unnoticed an alicorn princess would certainly draw unwanted attention. The two also sat in silence that is until the blue unicorn gave voice to her pestering thoughts, “Twilight Sparkle, why didn’t you tell Trixie you were the daughter of an alicorn when we meet?... I mean if Trixie had know she wouldn’t have challenged you,” she said with a clear sound of annoyance in her voice.

“I didn’t want to draw attention to myself,” Twilight explained. “I’ve never been comfortable in the spot light, like some ponies.”

“Yes, I understand your inference, Trixie has always had a gift for the gaining the attention of others and thrived in it,” she answered in her typical hauty tone.

“But, why would you have stopped?” Twilight asked.

“The Great and Powerful Trixie maybe great and powerful but even she knows her limits and for this self trained unicorn the daughter of the sun princess is out of her weight class,” Trixie reluctantly admitted.

“What does weight have to do with it? Do you think I’m fat? Size has nothing to do with the amount of power a unicorn can wield,” Twilight defended.

Trixie chuckled at the innocent foolishness her rival displayed and found it quite indearing, “Twilight, the expression means Trixie was out matched,” she explained.

“Oh,” Twilight said. “Are you really self taught?”

“Trixie is the daughter of two earth ponies,” she explained. “We don’t know how Trixie ended up with a horn.”

“Well maybe your parents have a relative that is a unicorn. My friends the cakes are both earth ponies and their twins are a unicorn and a pegasi,” Twilight explained.

“Well, we still do not know?” Trixie answered.

“You at least went to magic kindergarten, right?” Twilight said.

“No, Trixie lived too far from Canterlot and her parents didn’t think it important,” Trixie replied with a tinge of sadness in her voice, “though that didn’t stop Trixie from developing her magic.”

“Well that truly is remarkable with the spells you’ve been able to master,” Twilight complemented.

Author's Note:

I'm sorry for the late post or in some cases just a heading. The fim site was acting up and dumping out before I could complete the post. I hope you like the beginning of my Twixie romance. I like them as a couple though this originally started out as a Twiluna ship as the story went on it just didn't work. I hope Twiluna forgives me and the Twixie enjoy.