• Published 20th Aug 2014
  • 1,410 Views, 55 Comments

An Equestrian Odyssey: Lightning Dash - TessiFlameheart



Scootaloo makes a new friend, an Artificial Intelligence who claims she can help Scootaloo fly at last using the power of science and a dash of magic to make a powered flying exoskeleton. But in Equestria there are concequences for such science.

  • ...
1
 55
 1,410

Epilogue

Epilogue

Celestia, Twilight, and Cadence sat on chairs especially brought into the Night Court’s audience hall for the occasion. Around them were seated the nobles of Equestria, at least those who bothered to attend the last minute meeting. Seated behind the rows of Dukes, Duchesses, Counts, and Countesses were the common ponies who had decided to attend the “Public Announcement”. Princess Luna stood behind a large podium set up in front of her throne which was currently hidden by a large white banner which bore Luna’s crescent moon coat of arms.

“Ponies of Equestria,” Luna began, speaking as loudly as she dared so everypony present could hear her words, “in recent days I have come to at last have a true sense of the modern Equestria. I ask your forgiveness for how long it has taken I beg you to understand that as an immortal I am somewhat slow to change. However one thing about me which shall never change is how deeply I care for the safety and prosperity of all those within my care. It is out of this sense of duty that I gather you all here today as witnesses for my first true act as Equestria’s guardian.”

The audience hall suddenly became abuzz with conversation. Luna gave everypony a few moments before holding up one hoof to silence the crowd. “I have watched many of your dreams, and I have read many reports regarding the state of our kingdom. Monsters roam the lands, there are those who go hungry because of problems beyond their control, and worst of all true threats to our land and culture both new and thought long dead assault us from every side all too often. My sister has created a band of heroes, the Element Bearers, she has also created a loose guild of volunteers who travel to remote locations and attempt to ward off threats to our land before they happen, and of course every major settlement has a regiment of guards to protect the citizens. But these protections are not enough.”

Once more the audience hall filled with the buzz of concerned conversation. This time Luna let the conversations die down, using the moment to glance at her sister’s face flinching at the suspicion upon it. “The Elements of Harmony must be used together, they can not be used in more than one place at a time. The Adventurer’s Guild is not a true military or even police force though they serve a valuable purpose. The City Guard, even my own Night Guard, are not trained to attack, only to defend. We also must be honest, how quickly do you remember the Canterlot Guard being overwhelmed during Queen Chrysalis’s attack upon our city? I for one remember it to be all too quickly.

“Because of these concerns I have decided we need another military force, one with the authority to patrol problem areas, track down dangerous criminals wherever they hide, and which can be sent anywhere Equestria Needs a shield to shelter it, and a sword to strike for it. While I do not have the authority to form a standing army on my own, I do have the authority to create new branches of the Office of Special Services. As stated in the Law of the Sun and Moon Chapter 14 Section 3 Paragraph 5, as ruler of the Night Court I Princess Luna hereby decree the creation of a new branch of my Special Service, the Lunar Crusader Corps.”

Luna winced as Celestia’s eyes narrowed, the crowd of assembled ponies broke out into roars of outrage, questioning shouts, and a few cries of approval. As the crowd’s discussions died down Twilight raised a hoof, “Luna, what powers will you be granting these… Crusaders?”

“My Crusaders have the right to a concealed identity, no pony save royalty may ask for their true name. They have the right to combat training, excluding mega spells. They have the authority to perform arrests and transport criminals. They have the right to bear arms, technological or magical in nature. They have the authorization to command other forces as if an officer of the lowest equivalent command rank.” Luna paused for a moment giving her sister a knowing look, “My sister, I see the wounded look upon your face. This is not a personal attempt at power. I do this for the safety of our nation. To prove my words I will allow you to assist in the creation of the Crusader’s Oath Spell, a curse which will ensure all volunteers for my Crusaders can not stray from their duties.”

Celestia blinked in surprise, “You are going to magically control these ponies? What are their duties?”

“No sister, they are free to do as they will, but they will be bound to: Protect the Innocent. Serve the Public Good. Keep the Peace. Be Honorable in their Actions. But most of all to be loyal to the Corps and to the sovereign rulers of Equestria. Command of my Crusaders will not be solely mine, for any major operation the four Princesses must agree to ‘Launch a Crusade’ as it were.”

The three other princesses discussed the matter amongst themselves for a time. As they spoke with one another the other ponies in the audience hall loudly argued back and forth. “Please ladies and gentle colts, I know this is a controversial development in your lives, but the next time a dragon attacks Manehatten, and at the same time Basilisks invade Trottingham you will be glad my Crusaders could assist you.”

Cadence raised a hoof, Luna nodding to let her speak, “Princess Luna, we have decided to stand by your decision on one condition. You must provide a demonstration of your Crusader’s capabilities within a week so we can assess how much danger they will be in should they bey sent on a mission. While your motivations are just and for the greater good, we cannot endanger the lives of any-”

“Commander Lightning Dash, please come to my side.”

There was a loud whoosh as a silver and red blur shot from behind the banner, the white silk thrown aside as a pegasi clad from head to hoof in an exotic suit of steel and a flowing red cloak sped to the princess’s side, hovering next to her on four pillars of light. “As you command my Princess!” she shouted in a metallic booming voice.

“Miss Rainbow Dash,” Luna asked, taking advantage o the stunned silence to address Dash who was seated just behind and to the left of Twilight, “I understand you raised the commander a day hence. Can you attest to her speed?”

Rainbow Dash nodded, “Yes your highness. Lightning nearly beat me in a fair race, even after my sonic rainboom. She is certainly one of the fastest pegasi in Equestria. But not quite as fast as me!”

Luna noded, smiling softly, “Commander, could you lift this podium please?”

Lightning Dash nodded and landed with a metallic thud, stepping over to the podium, placing two hooves on either side and lifting it over her head with ease.

“As you can see, my Crusaders will be strong, fast, agile, and their armor possesses more then enough tools for any mission they may need to undertake.” as Luna finished speaking Lighting returned the podium to the ground.

“How is she able to do these things?” Celestia asked, a look of surprise on her face, “I sense no magic within her aside from that in a normal pegasi!”

“A very specially talented mare designed the armor the Commander has on. It is a marvel of technology and magic. All of my Crusaders will possess a set.”

Twilight grinned, “The mystery mare!”

Celestia gave her a confused look, “Remember when I wrote you saying I believed I had found our thief?”

“Yes I do. Luna is this the same mare? May we meet her?”

Luna nodded, “Of course my sister but it must be another day. As a member of the Lunar Crusader Corps, only the four of us may know her and she has no armor with which to conceal her identity.”

The three princesses talked amongst themselves for a short time before nodding, Celestia standing up and speaking loudly enough for everypony to here, “So be it! The Lunar Crusader Corps have my permission to operate as intended by Princess Luna.”

Luna’s horn glowed as she levitated a new banner up from the floor and hung it on the left hand wall of her audience hall near her thrown. The banner was a bright red rectangle featuring a silver sword behind a golden shield decorated with the silver crescent moon. “From this day forwards Equestria has another team of guardians. Evil beware and good take head of the Lunar Crusaders!”

Author's Note:

It's complete? But what about the theft of human objects from Canterlot Castle? What will Celestia think of Jaesa? What will the Lunar Crusaders get up too?

Stay calm, these questions and more will be answered in a series of stories coming out soon called "The Lunar Crusaders". Anyone who Favorited this story will get a notice via blog post when the first of the sequels is posted!

Also now that this story is complete I will go through and edit it. But I would also love to know what you guys think about it, what your favorite parts were, and how it made you feel. See you soon!

Comments ( 24 )

Love it can't wait for the sequel! :pinkiehappy:

KaaaaaBOOOOOOOOM goes my mind.

4961235 Comments have realy died down on this way before you began posting. Feel free to use as much aspace as you need.

Also about the leather, it's creepy as hell, but you see leather products in the actual show. Book covers, a saddle, some boots in a fashion show episode are clearly black leather... Its one of those :pinkiecrazy: things.

Amazing, but needs a sequel.

~Crystalline Electrostatic~

4988918 It has one :P The story continues in my fic "The Lunar Crusaders: J.A.E.S.A" and "From Mars With Love" is int he same universe 2 years down the road. In fact, every single one of the fics I am currently writing are linked as sequels or side stories.

4988939 You didn't use the sequel feature on the site... when you go to edit a fic's description, somewhere on the page you will see something saying 'Prequel story ID' or something like that, you put the ID from the URL (http://www.fimfiction.net/story/211747/an-equestrian-odyssey-lightning-dash) into that box and it will make a box appear on this fic telling that the one you edited is a sequel.

~Crystalline Electrostatic~

4988956 I didn't know there was such a feature! Thanks! I've only been here a month or so.

4988990 I found that on about day twelve or so. But your welcome.

~Crystalline Electrostatic~

4989025 I'm not a very observant pony. :derpytongue2:

4989030 I am overly analytic and observant.

~Crystalline Electrostatic~

Just powered through this whole story and I loved it.

I just have one simple question. If scootaloo is powering the armor via lightning, how could an Earth Pony or Unicorn power it? I assume a Unicorn could use magic, but the Earth Pony is a bit screwed :) I'm looking forward to more stories!:twilightsmile::twilightsmile::twilightsmile::scootangel:

5005343 I'm glad you liked it! The sequel is being written at the moment, is there anything you think should happen? Not saying I will write that in but I do like hearing fan's ideas :D

Earth Pony armor will have to be charged with an external device at base. A unicorn could provide magical energy to charge them with. This means that Earth Pony Crusaders have a limited operational time, leading to the creation of "charge packs" to recharge the suit in the field.

5006738 Anything I think should happen? Not at all, I'm excited to see where you take it from here :) I'm a sucker for political stories and the Luna / Celestia potential rift here is enticing. I'll be happy in whatever way it goes. Also curious to see just how militaristic the new Crusader unit ends up being.

Does the power go to their head? Do they have to deal with protesters against such a powerful military unit? Does a mission go wrong and people demand their identities be made public?

Also, how do the girls handle the first time their enemy isn't a monster from the forest or ocean? Do they have to go against fellow ponies at some point? Or griffons even?

Keep the excellent work up and I really want to see where all these characters end up :)

Also, if you find you need a proofreader / editor, I have done that for several people on here before and would love to help where I can. Just shoot me a message on here if you need.

:twilightsmile::twilightsmile:

THIS IS AMAZING! I NEED MORE! :heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

5053965 It has a sequel, check it out! Sequel is on hiatus for a while though. This story helps form the core of my own personal AU for FiM by the way :D

5054020 just got done reading the sequel. it sucks that it's on Hiatus ATM, but it was still awesome!

5054022 It will get finished once I know what direction to take it in. Since you are reading my stuff I guess I'll see you on An Equestrian Odyssey soon :P

5054039 as soon as i catch up on my other stories.

aCB

Not bad. I personally liked the source story better, but to each their own.

Also, as an electrical/nuclear engineer (at least that's what my degrees say), I know that a lot of the science here is actually science fiction, but I feel I have to correct this--
You keep saying "adriano", I think you mean "Arduino". It's a micro-controller, similar to to the Raspberry Pi (not Pie), although different in several distinct ways. If you plan to edit this, it's one way that the story could be more clear.

Let's see, what else...

Oh yeah, FlashLight SUCKS! :trollestia:

5200150 Actually hilariously enough the base idea is scientifically possible. I doubt my personal depiction of it is buildable but all of those components DO work like that.

Howeaver, Arduino as far as I know is trademarked. So I misspelled the name a bit for legal safety. Same with Raspberry Pi. :P

Also yes. FlashLight is meh.

aCB

5200693
Meh. The ideas work in that the concepts exist. But we're along way away from putting a lot of these concepts into practical versions. Ion thrusters, for example are the size of cars and do next to nothing except in space. A multi-gigawatt laser would be the size of a house. But it doesn't really matter.

Howeaver, Arduino as far as I know is trademarked. So I misspelled the name a bit for legal safety. Same with Raspberry Pi. :P

Arduino is trademarked, but also open source. They wouldn't give a shit if you used the name in the story.

Also, Manowar lyrics are copyrighted, so... :trollestia:

5205971 It seems you are correct... I apparently read mW on the web page and wrote gW :P. :derpytongue2:

Howeaver as far as the lawyer ban hammer of life ruining foreaver goes:

A I'm a bit nuts.
B I believe a computer company is far more likely to find out that I am using their trademarks in a pony story then Manowar.
C Songs are not morally or legally ok to own IMO. I don't care about a person making money playing music they wrote, that's cool. But it's horse shit that I can sing a pop song and technically be arrested for preforming without permission. SO basicaly this is as close as I get to political activism.

5206676
Ironically, adreno is a GPU system. You'd be more likely to end up with trouble from their manufacturer than from the open-source Arduino project. If anything, they'd thank you for publicity, as nearly everything these days mentions that they use one.

Login or register to comment