• Published 20th Aug 2014
  • 1,411 Views, 55 Comments

An Equestrian Odyssey: Lightning Dash - TessiFlameheart



Scootaloo makes a new friend, an Artificial Intelligence who claims she can help Scootaloo fly at last using the power of science and a dash of magic to make a powered flying exoskeleton. But in Equestria there are concequences for such science.

  • ...
1
 55
 1,411

2 Clandestine Research

2 Clandestine Research

Jaesa flew as fast as she could but still couldn’t quite keep up with the orange pegasi she was doing her best to follow. Fortunately while in the forest the trees had slowed Scootaloo down enough for her half powered quadcopter to keep up but the second those trees had given away to the village. Man she is really motoring along! How can she not fly with those? Her Delta P must be phenomenal!

Her focus on how impossibly fast the scooter riding pegasi was able to go had Jaesa so absorbed that it took her a while to notice the village itself. Thatched roofs, wattle and daub exteriors held aloft by rough timber. They have electric lighting but live in 1200’s era housing? Jaesa wondered, making sure she kept above the roofs since Scootaloo had warned her about human technology being less than legal.

The more she moved over the homes, businesses, and odd public building the more confused Jaesa became. Every building had what appeared to be tempered glass windows, a feature hundreds of years more advanced than the rest of the architecture. Sticking out of one roof was what appeared to be a AM/FM transceiver antenna. As she focused on the antenna for a second to confirm her findings she spotted the open doors of a machine shop where a pony was milling a metal vase on a lathe.

I see. They seem to value traditional building methods. It is likely their culture prefers to stick with older methods, or perhaps it’s aesthetic taste. Or there could be a biological reason… No that’s silly waddle and daub would be harder to do with hooves then a simple stone wall. Her musings caused her to lose sight of Scoots. Spinning herself around in the air Jaesa fearfully searched everywhere for the orange and pink streak.

Within a few fearful moments she spotted her, leaping over a large cart of apples in the market performing a 560 spin. An orange pony wearing a wide brimmed hat raised one hoof and shouted something angrily as Scoots ‘flew’ overhead. She must be the apple merchant. Jaesa noted as she changed her course to resume following. As she turned a massive towering tree made from shimmering blue crystal came into her view.

If Jaesa had eyes they would have bugged out of her skull at the sight of the massive crystal palace held aloft within tree limbs made from more crystal. She was in awe at the technological power required to create such a structure, let alone design it. Ok, I will stop underestimating pony tech. They clearly have some damn good sciences.

Taking her gaze off of the impossible building Jaesa speed off towards Scootaloo. The pegasi turned her scooter off onto a side street so suddenly that Jaesa almost missed the turn. This street was a little different from the rest of the village. The cobble stone looked more rough, buildings were smaller, nothing looked bad but clearly this was a poorer neighborhood.

Jaesa had just enough time to wonder which of these houses Scoots lived in before Scoots simply zipped through the entire street. But the village ends here… Jaesa asked herself as she followed Scootaloo onto a hard packed dirt trail which entered into a less dangerous looking forest, No forest isn't the right word, this is more of a wood. The underbrush is very thin, the trees also appear to be evenly spaced… This may be an artificial wood for tree farming. Perhaps this village exports timber. Yes these trees appear to be all the same age, it’s a timber lot.

Scootaloo led Jaesa for a fair distance threw the timber lot to a small cluster of cabins. There were eight of the rough log buildings, which were arranged in a circle around a large roofed work area. A logging camp. Scootaloo twisted and power slid her scooter to a stop outside the closest cabin relative to the village. then turned to look over her shoulder, smiling as she spotted Jaesa,”Hey! You managed to keep up! I thought I would have to turn back and look for you.”

Jaesa dipped her copter’s nose to simulate a nod, “You almost lost me, this is not a high speed copter.”

Scoots opened her cabin’s door and trotted inside, Jaesa zipped through and turned in a circle to search for a landing spot. The cabin’s interior was very bare bones. It had a single room with a small kitchen like area on one wall, a small table wedged into one corner, a bed against the wall next to the door, and a single bookshelf on the door’s otherside. It would have been a bleak and spartan place if not for the decorations which covered the walls.

Each wall was covered with photos featuring Scootaloo and two of her friends doing all manner of things from rock climbing to building a submarine. Some shelves had been installed as well and held up other forms of memorabilia, a few nails, a piece of quartz, half of a steering wheel. Obviously these things only held sentimental value.

Scootaloo trotted over to the bed and slid the backpack onto her bed before closing the door. “There we go. Right, let’s get started!”

Jaesa landed on Scoot’s table in a sunbeam, “You want to get started on building right now?”

“Yes!”

“Ok. Well first thing we will need to get a few basic items and build the power supply. After that I will need to start the math and design part.”

“Ok. What do we need?” Scoots asked before suddenly opening the backpack up and carefully spreading it’s contents on the bed, “We should see what we have first right?”

Oh yeah Charlotte’s stuff. “Yes we should. Spread everything out and I’ll tally it up.”

It took Scootaloo a few minutes to arrange everything in such a way which allowed Jaesa to identify can categorize everything. There was an electrician's kit with a full arrangement of pliers, screw drivers, a soldering iron, wire stripper, and an ohmmeter. There was a full 12 pounds of solder, about 50 miles of thin copper wire, a full box of all sorts of resistors, capacitors, diodes, leds, and other micro electronics. Another case contained plenty of computer specific components including 5 adrenos and even a raspberry pie micro computer. Plenty of other small scraps presented a plethora of basic components. Leave it to Charlotte to pack half and electronics store. Jaesa chuckled.

The real treasures in the pack were two spools of graphene wire, three large lasers Jaesa identified as being 2.2 megawatts each, and at the pack’s very bottom a portable solar power unit. Jaesa had instructed Scootaloo in how to deploy the unit’s solar tracking panels and connect them to the converter as well as all of the other little steps. It had taken the two of them a few hours but at about noon they had to solar arrays set up atop two of the cabins and the converter busily converting and storing the energy.

“So my cabin has electricity now?” Scootaloo asked as she watched the converter’s display.

“Yes. You should have enough to run a lot of different things. If we build some more batteries and a few circuits we could improve this unit and power the entire compound.”

“What could I do with that?”

“Well… we could build an air conditioner, a heating system, lots of things. Most importantly I can be plugged in to recharge and you can power that soldering iron. As well as a few small tools that you will have to make.”

Scoots noded, “Ok. I’ll ask more about that later. It would be nice to have a heater though, this place gets cold in the winters… Sooo can we start on the power supply now?”

“Yes. We will need a very small tough bottle. Preferably a brass one. We will also need an air pump, a lot of graphite, a spray bottle, a buffing cloth, and liquid polyurethane along with as strong of a glue as you can get.”

Scoots nodded, “Ok. I’ll head into Ponyville and pick some up.”

She trotted over to her bed, ducked underneath and pulled out a small leather pouch. The clink of coins as she tucked the bag into her mane revealed the coins it contained. “Will we need anything else? Oh and what’s graphite?”

“Well a leather or rubber jumpsuit to use as the undersuit for your armor will be needed at some point.”

Scoots blushed, “Ummm why do I need fetish gear?”

What does that mean? Jaesa hummed and quickly googled the word ‘fetish’. She instantly regretted it. “Ewwww! Ok Germans are officially creepy. Umm… You will need a jumpsuit because it’s a full body covering. It needs to be leather or rubber because those materials are tough, flexible, and block electric shock.”

“Oh. Ok!” Scootaloo smiled and turned to head out the door, “Oh and graphite? What is it? You know so I can buy it.”

“Graphite is a mineral. It’s blackish gray and is most commonly found in pencils. It should be bought in large chunks at art shop. If possible get it as dust we are going to use it to make graphene for use in batteries.”

Scoots nodded, “Right! … What’s graphene?”

Jaesa sighed, “I’ll answer more questions when you get back ok? For now all you need to know is that graphene is a carbon based product which when made incredibly thin is a room temperature superconductor. It can be used to make amazingly good batteries. Your suit will have to store insane amounts of power and be as light as possible so we will need to make some graphene based batteries.”

Jaesa took one look at Scoots face and realized that she had understood not even a single word. The pegasi nodded, “Ok I’ll see what I can do.”

~~

It was late afternoon and Scootaloo had got all of the supplies Jaesa had asked for pretty quickly. Shoeshine had been pretty confused when Scoots had asked her if her art supply shop sold graphite as a powder but eventually had ground a few pounds for her once Scoots had made up a story about having an idea to try and make a new color of paint. The spray bottle was tricky, but she eventually realized that cleaners came in a spray bottle and bought a bottle of grass cleaner. The only item left was the jumpsuit.

Scootaloo parked her scooter outside of the Carousel Boutique. Oh boy… This will be awkward. Scootaloo had been inside Rarity’s shop plenty of times, she had even bought the odd dress there. I really hope she doesn't freak out over this. Gulping Scoots gently opened to door and walked inside as the bell jingled.

Within seconds Rarity’s voice called, “Welcome to the Carousel Boutique, the most elegant Boutique in all of Equestria. Oh! Hello Scootaloo!”

The white unicorn trotted into her storefront as she spoke, a pair of sewing scissors neatly tucked behind her left ear. “Is the dress I gave you for your birthday a bit ill fitting? I was a little worried about the shoulders, you have really grown since you were a filly.”

Scootaloo shook her head, “No no,” she assured, “It’s lovely! I have it folded at home safely in a bag so it won't get dirty. I actually need something specific.”

Rarity blinked, “Realy? That’s so unlike you! I mean you are usually not… er-concerned with fashion. What’s the occasion? Were you invited to Twilight’s Summer Dreams festival next week?”

Scootaloo shook her head again, “No. It’s for a project of mine.”

Rarity nodded, “Still crusading? You know I don't believe you ever tried your hooves at fashion design. You might be absolutely fantastic!” she gave a dramatic wave of her hoof to emphasize her suggestion.

“Actually I did, that dress turned into pants… But um I have an idea that might get me my cutiemark. I just need something specific.”

“Well whatever is it? I assure you that it will be absolutely gorgeous!”

Scoots took a deep breath, “I need a full body jumpsuit.” a sudden realization hit her. We will need to attach things to it. “But I can't just get one from another shop because it needs to have as many pockets as possible, and metal fittings to attach things to. Oh! and it needs to be rubber or leather.”

Rarity blinked once, “I… what?” a blush quickly crept across her face. “I, well normally I don't make that sort of clothing. There is a shop in canterlot that caters to that sort of thing… But I assume your special somepony-”

Scootaloo’s ear drooped, a deep blush accompanying the gesture, “Eh heh heh… It’s not like that at all. I had an idea for an invention. I need to be able to carry a lot of stuff and a simple saddle bag or harness won't work. I can pay.”

Still blushing Rarity moved one hoof to adjust the scissors balanced on her ear. Her lips pursed as she thought for a while. “Ok. But only because you are a friend… and not a word to anypony else. I won't have ponies thinking I am in that sort of business.”

“It’s seriously not for that…” Scootaloo sighed looking down.

Rarity patted her shoulder gently, “Sure it isn't dear. Don’t worry every couple has to get used to each others… um-tastes. It’s normal. I should have it done in a few days. Let’s call it 60 bits? Oh and I’ll need your measurements again.”

~~

When Scoot’s arrived at her cabin later she immediately plopped down on the bed, saddlebags still filled with her shopping, “Ugh…”

“What is it?” Jaeas asked, “Were you unable to acquire what we needed?”

“No I got it… I just had the idea to ask Rarity to put as many pockets and metal attachments on the jumpsuit so we could attach stuff to it easily… Now she thinks that my special somepony and I are into tack play.”

Jaesa giggled for a few moments until Scootaloo shot her a glare, “Sorry! I’m sorry. I just had to laugh at the absurdity of ponies inventing tack on their own. Do you ride each other? How do you even put a bridle on yourself? Hehehehe.”

Scootaloo groaned again and rolled over on her bed, “I don’t know ok? Just… give me a few minutes then let’s start building something ok?”

“Sure thing… So who and what is your special somepony?”

Scootaloo’s distressed sigh deflected further questions.

~~

Two days after Scootaloo had placed her order Rarity had finally found the time to work on Scoots… custom order. She sighed as her hooves guided the thick leather threw her sewing machine. Of everything I have ever made this is the most drab. she lamented. Making a jumpsuit felt beneath a pony of her talents, and a jumpsuit for what Scoots wanted well it was lucky Scootaloo was a good friend.

Despite the simplicity of the article Rarity decided to put her usual flare into the project as much as possible. She had refused to go with a brown leather, instead picking a stylish black, trimming it in white leather to give it accents and at least some level of style. Ugh these steel rings are soooo tacky. As Rarity considered what she might be able to do to make Scoots suit less utilitarian in appearance Sweetie Bell trotted into the store, “Hey sis! I have your mail.”

Sweetie Bell had taken a summer job working with the Equestiran Post a few years back and simply never quit. The job suited her and left her with plenty of time and money to pursue her love of songwriting. Setting several letters down on Rarity’s desk Sweetie trotted into her sister’s sewing room, “Is that a shirt?”

“It’s a jumpsuit.” Rarity answered with a forlore sigh.

“A jumpsuit? That’s not something you usually make. Dose Twilight need it for a specific spell or something?”

“No no, nothing like that… It’s actually for Scootaloo. She said something about a new invention. I am having the hardest time making it look… classy.”

Sweetie blinked in surprise, “That’s weird she normally tells me about any tinkering she’s been up too.”

“Oh well,” Rare stopped sewing to turn and face her sister, “You are her best friend so I am sure I can trust you to keep this quiet.”

“Keep what quiet?” Sweetie asked frowning.

“Well… Scootaloo asked specifically for this to be made from leather or rubber, could you imagine rubber? Ugh, it would be soooo… Sorry.” Rare blushed at her sister’s irritated face and got back on track, “That is to say, she wanted it made from leather, or rubber, and asked for it to have plenty of attachment points. I am certain that this is meant for her and her special somepony.”

“What?”

“I’m sure of it, she was so embarrassed when she asked me to make it. I’m only mentioning this because I assume you know them both and I am too busy this week to deliver it when it’s finished later tomorrow. Would you consider making a special delivery?” Rarity asked then turned back to sewing. “Oh and I would love to know who her special somepony is. I do hope they are a cute couple.”

Sweetie took a few steps back in shock. “Scoots has a special somepony? Why didn't she tell me?” she whispered to herself.

“What was that?”

“Oh… I said I’ll do it. I’ll be back tomorrow afternoon to pick it up.”

Rarity hardly noticed as her sister left the shop. There must be someway to - Of course! A white stripe along the back to match the cuffs!

~~

Sweetie Bell left her sister’s boutique and headed directly for Sweet Apple Acres. Her sister was the last person on her rout so she was sure postmaster Ditzy wouldn't mind her reporting in late. After all this was important! She moved at a full gallop, zipping around everything and everypony in her path until she arrived at the farm, panting and dripping sweat. Running that far that fast after the mail route was harder than she thought.

A quick search of the fields had her running off to an irrigation ditch in the works which her old friend was busily digging. “Hey! Apple Bloom!” she called as she ran up.

Apple Bloom turned, smiling instantly upon seeing her old friend. “Howdy! Some kinda special delivery or just dropping in?”

Sweetie Bell skidded to a stop a short ways in front of Bloom and put on her serious business face. “Scootaloo has a special somepony!”

“What? Since when?” Bloom asked with a frown.

“I don't know! I found out from Rarity, she is making her an um… outfit for her somepony right now.”

“Well she didn’t tell me nothin,” bloom bit her lip in thought, “Ya think maybe she’s date’n a mare? I mean I think just about everypony our age is fine with that, an so are most of our older siblings… But some ponies might still have a problem. She could be afraid of that.”

Sweetie thought for a moment, hoof stroking her chin in thought, “That’s not a bad idea. I mean, if that isn’t it then what is?”

“Yeah I reckon that’s it.” Bloom shrugged, “Scoots will tell us when she’s good an ready.”

“But,” Sweetie frowned, “We are already ok with it. We should let her know. I would like to see who she’s dating.”

Bloom sighed and rolled her eyes, “It ain’t none of our business.”

Sweetie raised one eyebrow giving Bloom a hard look.

“... Yeah ok I want to know too.” she relented.

Sweetie grinned, “What do you say we do one more Crusade?”

“Without Scootaloo? But then were only two of the Crusaders.”

“Exactly! It’s our duty as Crusaders to make sure that everything is going great for our sister in questing!”

The two mares nodded in agreement before jumping onto their hind legs and shouting in unison, “Cutiemark Crusaders Mystery Solvers! YEAH!”

All the way over at the barn Apple Jack winced, “Oh no… There they go again.”

~~

A full day later back in her cabin Scootaloo was bent over a contraption no pony would recognize busily making the final checks with Jaesa’s assistance. Laid out on her table was a small necklace sized brass oval which was in fact a pressure chamber half filled with water. Her AI friend had assured her that by increasing the amount of air in the chamber the water’s boiling point would be lowered. With enough pressure the water turned to steam and with nowhere to go became a cloud. This formed the basis for the power generator.

The rest of the generator was a few circuits designed to regulate voltage, prevent the current from moving the wrong way, and a large number of small graphene batteries arranged in a series with micro circuitry attached ensuing they would discharge from back to front. It had taken her a few days to assemble the device, Jaesa’s instructions had been very helpful but they had made even more progress after she had explained to Scootaloo what exactly each part did and how. Scootaloo was picking up electrical engineering really quickly, mostly because she found it to be fun!

At the moment Scoots had the Ohmmeter pressed against the main charging circuit, and was tapping the pressure chamber to generate lightning bolts. “It looks like the batteries are getting 88 gigawatts per bolt… We are still losing a lot of current, but I don't think we can make them take anymore at once. We only upped it by 1.21 gigawatts last time.”

She flipped the meter’s settings a few times to check other measurements. “Voltage is still at 29.3 million volts, we got 29.4 Kiloamps, and the battery charge is um… 800 million miliamp hours and growing.”

Jaesa dipped her nose, “It looks like we have reached the maximum efficiency for our circuits. The power cell is done!”

Scootaloo pumped her left hoof in the air, “Woohoo! Now we can move on to the motors!”

“Not quite…” Jaesa informed in a sad tone.

“Why not?” Scoots ears drooped.

“Well I have a design ready to go, but I don't know if it will work. You see I realized the other day that this is a different dimension to my home’s. I don’t know if gravity is the same, or what the air density at a given altitude is. I’ll need you to write down some math equations, physical laws, and such so you can ask a scientist if they seem correct. If not then I can sue the corrected data to tweak my blueprints. After all we don't want to fire you into orbit instead of just hovering a little.”

Scootaloo nodded, that made perfect sense even if it was a little frustrating. Ah horse apples… Twilight’s planning a party next week I probably can't see her today. “Ok. Start explaining the jist of it so i can ask the right questions… I’ll try and ask Twilight today but I heard she is planning a party next week so I might not get to see her.”

“I understand. Let’s begin with the Standard Model of Particle Physics, because if that’s all correct then all the rest of my math will be on the money.”

Jaesa spent a full six hours explaining all manner of mathematical and physical laws. Most of it went right over Scootaloo’s head but by the time mid afternoon rolled around she understood the basic ideas behind most of the principals of those particular human sciences. She had just gathered up her notes and tucked them into a saddlebag when there was a knock on the door.

Jaesa quickly darted under Scoots's bed as Scootaloo opened to door to reveal Sweetie Bell. “Oh! Hey Bell. I was just about to head into Ponyville, we can walk together but I’ll be busy in town… What’s up?”

Sweetie levitated a large box off of her back with was stamped with the words ‘Carousel Boutique” written in a flourished script on the top. “Actually I was just delivering this. Rarity asked if I could take it over. I was going to visit Apple Bloom on my way back anyways… We should hang out sometime! Don't want to drift apart and stuff.”

“Oh thanks.” Scoots took the package in her mouth and tossed it onto her bed. Sweetie bell had an odd look on her face, “You ok? You look a bit odd.”

“I was just wondering what those big blue things are. Those look new.”

“I’m working on an experiment, they are part of it.”

“What’s the experiment?”

Scoots thought quickly, “I'm trying to see if I can make an artificial cloud.”

Sweetie blinked, “Why would you want to do that?”

“Um… to see if my cutiemark is for cloud making?” Scoots gave her friend a wide shaky grin.

“Ok… Well I’ll see you soon ok?” Sweetie smiled then and trotted off down the path.

Scootaloo let out a relieved breath, closed the door and waited a few minutes for Sweetie to get down the trail a good ways then headed out on her own. Oddly enough she didn't pass the unicorn on the scooter as she sped into town. Maybe she cut threw the woods to Bloom’s house. Scoots rationalized.

The tip to town didn’t take her too long, and within minutes she was parking her scooter just outside the Crystal Castle. As she expected her approach to the doors was quickly blocked by two large stallions. The Dusk Guard were very serious about protecting the Princess of Friendship. “Hey Strongarm! I was just going to see if Twilight had a little time to help me with a problem.” Scoots greeted, recognizing the green stallion on the left.

“Well she is a little busy today… But she might have time for a former student.” Strong arm concluded, “Order, would you check please?”

“Yes sir!” The other guard snapped a salute and marched inside.

“He may be a while mam. I recommend you take a seat on one of the benches.” Strong arm recommended.

Scootaloo took the advice and weighted on a nearby bench until the other guard returned and she was waved over. Thanking the two for their time and help Scootaloo quickly trotted inside.

~~

Sweetie Bell had ducked into the trees a short ways away from Scootaloo’s cabin and joined Apple Bloom in hiding.

“Did ya deliver it?” Bloom asked.

“Shhhh! Yes, and she is headed into town! She said she would be busy and hinted that I shouldn’t follow. I think she’s headed to her marefriend’s!”

The two ponies crept as close to the path as they dared, laying in weight for Scootaloo to pass them. It didn’t take long before the pegasi blew past them in a blurry orange streak. The two ponies couldn't help but notice that Scoots was looking happier then she had in months.

“Eeyup. That's that face of a mare going to a loved one's alright.” Bloom concluded s the two followed along thru the woods to remain hidden.

Sweetie and Bloom made their way thru the woods, darting from tree to tree. When they reached Ponyville they stuck to the shadows, checking the corners before zipping around to the next piece of cover. A good number of ponies who spotted their antics groaned, mumbles of “Great the Crusaders are at it again…” drifted across the streets.

When the two saw Scoots stop at the castle, talk to the guards, then be let in their jaws dropped. While six ponies sat on the Council of Friendship only one lived there. “You don’t think…” Sweetie gasped.

Apple Bloom nodded “I reckon so.”

“She’s dating Twilight.” the two whispered in unison.

~~

Upon entering the Castle Scootaloo was escorted by two more guards to Twilight’s private chambers. The moderate suite of rooms were decorated and designed much like her old home in the Library had been, but some royal embellishments here and there added a more posh feeling to the study/library/living quarters. Twilight had grown a bit in the last few years, part of the Alicorn transformation apparently happened over time. It bothered Scootaloo just a little bit, if Twilight had remained the same size she could have been slightly taller than a princess!

As Scootaloo was let in Twilight turned around, levitating a bookmark into an old tome and moving it to her desk as she walked over. “Scootaloo! It’s been a really long time. I’m sorry for not being able to attend your birthday party, Celestia has had me working overtime on one of the big projects.”

“It’s ok,” Scoots replied in a joking tone, “I can't expect Royalty to want to hang out in some old abandoned logging camp.”

Twilight sighed, “You could move into Ponyville now you know. You are an adult, you can buy a house now.”

“Yeah but I like my cabin. It’s cozy.”

Twilight shook her head, “I’m sorry to say but I don't have too much free time. Dawnblaze said you had a problem. What is it?”

Scootaloo trotted over to Twilight’s desk and opened her saddlebags, taking out the stack of parchment and laying them out. “I’m working on an invention and need somepony to check the math. You know I was never any good at math... I don't want to blow myself up.”

Twilight nodded, “Ok, where should I begin?” Her eyes flicked over the pages, there certainly was far more math than she had been expecting from her old student.

“With this page.” Scootaloo tapped one page with a hoof.

Picking up the page Twilight’s eyes widened as she read it.

F(x) = βΣΣ Ep -1/2 (ar(p)ur(p)e) - ipx/n + (br (p) vr (p)- ipx/n)

Where β is a normalization factor for the fermion field.

The sum over p is over all momenta consistent with the period L, i.e., over all vectors...

Twilight blinked, reading the paper twice before asking, “Scootaloo do you even know what this is? Is somepony playing a prank on me?”

Scoots noded, “I know what it is. It’s the Standard Model of Particle Physics. It’s the equation which demonstrates the interactions between the fundamental forces of the universe, which in turn allows you to extrapolate equations governing other physical laws.”

Twilight looked at Scootaloo in shocked awe, “You must have really been hitting the books hard for the last year! But this is completely wrong. It has to be, nopony has managed to come up with a unifying equation yet…” Twilight’s words trailed off as her brain finished putting together what she had read on this page and the bits she had glimpsed the other pages. “Unless…”

“Unless what?” Scootaloo asked, getting shushed in return as Twilight poured over the rest of the notes she had taken.

After a few minutes Twilight stepped back from the desk. “This is almost completely accurate. It’s only lacking the Mana Field Equation. I could finish this. It would be the greatest mathematical breakthrough of the century! Who has been teaching you math?” She asked, turning to face Scootaloo gleefully.

“Oh um,” Scootaloo gulped. What do I say? I can’t reveal Jaesa to her… Think Scoots! “I er… Just my special somepony… Were working on the project together, and she’s amazing at math.” Rarity already thinks I have one. If she mentioned anything then Twilight thinks I do too…

“She? Odd I always thought you would end up preferring stallions, you know because of how much you like extreme sports.”

“What's that supposed to mean?” Scoots asked the indigent look she gave Twilight completely authentic. Where does she get off thinking I would like stallions? When have I ever… Oh… Right… “Sorry, I um… Just remembered that I never mentioned anything to anypony before.”

“Afraid of older ponies harsh words?” Twilight asked with a wince.

“No, I don't care about all the drama. It’s just never came up.”

“I see. Well could I meet her? I would love to talk about some of the more complex mathematical theories-”

“You can’t, she’s really shy!” Scoot’s interrupted.

“Oh… Well when she gains some confidence or feels comfortable I would love to meet her. For now let me copy these notes and add in the missing piece.” Twilight levitated a quill and ink closer to the notes and copied them with the astounding speed only a librarian and scientist possess. She quickly made a few changes to the original notes, checked the equations out and nodded in satisfaction as a large goofy grin spread over her cheeks.

“Three hundred years of ponykind trying and I am the pony tho puts it all together!” Twilight laughed in glee.

Scootaloo couldn’t help but giggle with her, three years of being a princess and Twilight hadn’t changed a bit.

“All it took to put the puzzle together was this one piece! These…” Twilight checked her copy of the notes, “Maxwell Equations. I wonder who Maxwell was. I’ll have to look him up. I am not sure any other pony knows enough about electricity to make these equations. Or knew as the case may be. Where is your marefriend from?”

“I don’t know. All I know is she isn't from Equestria. She immigrated recently.” Scoots said. At least that isn't a lie.

Twilight noded softly, “That makes sense. If she is from a far off enough country they likely have math we don’t.”

A bell chimed seven times, prompting Twilight to sigh sadly, “I have to get back to my duties. If she ever shares more mathematics with you please bring them to me. These were a treat… Actually let me walk you to the door.”

Scootaloo nodded, “Sure! Thanks for helping me out.”

~~

Apple Bloom and Sweetie Bell had decided to stay outside the castle and weight for Scootaloo to leave. After all Twilight had to be really busy with the plans for the upcoming festival so she couldn't visit with anypony for long. Not even a special somepony. The two had found a hiding place in one of the hedges a short distance from the door, and after convincing the castle guards they were only there to surprise a friend they had lain in weight until at last the castle door’s opened.

Bloom’s eyes widened as she saw Scootaloo being escorted out by Twilight herself. “Oh mah gosh! We were totally right!”

“Shhh! They’ll hear us!” Sweetie Bell hushed.

Twilight waved Scootaloo goodbye and then returned to her castle. Scoots hopped onto her scooter and began to zip off. Apple Bloom slowly stood up to follow when a bright white flash shattered the air in front of her! Sweetie bell yelped, “Oh! Um hi Twilight!”

Bloom blinked a few times, no pony should ever stare directly into a teleport flash. Twilight gave the two mares a friendly smile, “Hey girls. Since you are lurking in the bushes I guess you are following Scootaloo around looking for her special somepony?”

Bloom winced, “Y-yes Princess Twilight. Were sorry, we won’t tell anypony ya’ll are dating.”

Twilight blinked in confusion then giggled, “What? No, we are not dating! I was simply going to ask that if you find out who her marefirend is that you let me know. She is apparently a mathematical genius and I would just die to meet her.”

“Wait, so you aren’t her special somepony?” Sweetie Belle asked confused.

“No. In fact at the festival next week I am going to be introducing Flash as my husband-to-be.” Twilight grinned.

“Oh,” Bloom’s ears fell, “Darn it all then the mystery still need a’solvin.”

Sweetie Bell nodded, “Yeah.”

“Scootaloo did give me a few clues girls. We are looking for a mare who is excellent at math, isn’t from Equestira, and only recently arrived here. If you find her please let me know,” Twilight’s horn shown purple as she teleported her copy of Scootaloo’s notes to her and levitated the pages for the Crusaders to see, “because her mathematics are almost beyond anything I have ever learned. See?”

Bell and Bloom nodded, “Right!” they said together before zipping off to try and catch up to Scootaloo. Twilight watched them leave with a satisfied nod before teleporting once more.

~~

Back in her study Twilight wrote a quick letter.

Dear Princess Celestia,

I may have found a lead on where the missing human books have gotten too. Scootaloo, a former student of mine came to me today to help her check some math she and her special somepony had been working on as a part of some sort of project. The mathematics involved are far beyond what most ponies know but not impossible for them to have learned with dedicated study. However this mystery pony knew an equation which describes electricity and magnetism as a single force. While I could not confirm it to be accurate for our world it matches in name and formula the human mathematicians call “Maxwell Equations”.

Scootaloo also revealed her marefriend to have recently arrived in equestria. If the timing of her arrival is under two weeks she may be the thief we are searching for, or perhaps have been someone the thief sold some of the artifacts too. I have tasked two of Scootaloo’s friends to find this mystery mare under the pretense of wanting to meet her to discuss mathematics. With luck they will succeed and we can determine where she gained the knowledge.

We should not punish this mare too harshly should we later decide it is necessary. She has an unprecedented level of mathematical genius, the notes I was shown included a nearly complete Unified Field Theory, which I was able to complete by adding in Starswirl the Bearded’s Thaumaturgic Constant. As far as I can see the finished equation accurately describes reality. A person who fully understood it could create all manner of new spells. We should not squander such talent needlessly.

Your Student,
Princess Twilight

“Guardspony!” Twilight called as she rolled the letter into a scroll and magically affixed her sceal.

A pegasi quickly entered the room, spear clutched in readiness. “Yes my princess?”

Twilight held out the scroll. “Deliver this scroll to Spike, it is to be sent to Princess Celestia immediately.”

The guard nodded, took the offered scroll, tucked it into his saddlebag, saluted, then galloped off to deliver the message.