• Published 20th Aug 2014
  • 1,410 Views, 55 Comments

An Equestrian Odyssey: Lightning Dash - TessiFlameheart



Scootaloo makes a new friend, an Artificial Intelligence who claims she can help Scootaloo fly at last using the power of science and a dash of magic to make a powered flying exoskeleton. But in Equestria there are concequences for such science.

  • ...
1
 55
 1,410

4 Z-01 Peregrine

4 Z-01 Peregrine

The fourth day’s dawn of Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom’s Quest for the Mysterious Mare saw them camped out in the woods a few dozen pony lengths from Scootaloo’s cabin. They had taken their royal order very seriously, after all this was the first Cutie Mark Crusade to be officially assigned. They had set up a small camp complete with tree top watch tower, camouflaged tent, and an entire network of tin can phones to alert one another to anything or anypony who might go to Scootaloo’s.

Apple Bloom was currently on watch while Sweetie Belle mixed up some breakfast. Bloom had kited herself out with an old army helmet festooned with twigs and leaves, camouflage face paint, and an old green cloak with brown stains covering most of it. It would take and exceptionally sharp eyed pony to spot her lurking in the bushes. She could see Scootaloo’s cabin, a mere 20 pony lengths away.

I hope AJ wont be mad at me fer ditch’n my chores t’day. she thought as she surveyed the cabin as much as her attention span could allow. Her belly rumbled, With any luck Sweetie will have breakfast done soo-

Her thoughts were interrupted as Scoots’s cabin’s door swung open. “Eep!” Bloom ducked back further into the raspberry bushes.

Scootaloo backed out of the door, a large camouflage pack was on her back along with her usual saddlebags. Turning around before she shut the door she nodded and said to somepony loudly enough for Apple Bloom to overhear, “I remember the measurements Jaesa. I’m going to just buy one in Canterlot then modify it in the machine shop downtown. I should be back by sundown… Will you have the adrianos programmed by then?”

A fairly quiet voice replied, “Yes. The longest part will be mapping the functions to your recorded EKG waves for each command. But I should be finished with that within four hours.”

“Ok will you be fine on your own?”

“Yes. Good luck! Oh! And if you wanted the paint job to match RoboCop’s be sure to mix one part black and two parts slate to 6 parts gunmetal grey. Then dust the whole thing with clear polyurethane.”

“Oh yeah! Thanks! Bye!” Scootaloo closed the door and trotted off humming happily, hopping on her scooter and quickly zipping to town.

Bloom reached over as Scoots passed her and grabbed one of their can phones, “Zap Apple to Dress Form, the chicken has left the coop an her rooster in the hutch!” she hissed.

“What?” Belle called through the can a moment later.

“The chicken, has left the coop!”

“We didn’t go over code words Bloom!”

“Oh… Um… Scoots just left for Canterlot, her marefriend is in her cabin!”

An excited gasp came through the can, “I’ll be right there!”

Within a few short moments Sweetie Belle came charging through the underbrush, clad in what could be best described as a “Military chic” camouflage dress. Her eager charge sent her crashing into Apple Bloom, the bush rustling and crashing as the two mares rolled over each other and out into the path. “Ow!”

“Watch it Belle!” Bloom cried as she slowly climbed to her hooves.

“Ow… sorry. I couldnt see you.”

“You just better hope we ain’t frightened her off!”

Bell flinched and stood up, “Sorry! Ok… Sooo we have to peek into the window right?”

Bloom nodded, “Let’s go!” I don’t think the door has opened since Scoots left.

The two mares dropped flat, crawling slowly across the ground, once hoof at a time. A nose length at a time slowly and methodically they made their way to the cabin. They wormed up onto the porch, oozed to the window, crawled up to the sill, slowly peeked through the thin glass and…

“What in tarnation?” Bloom cried.

“Noponies home!” Belle moaned.

The two mares looked around the cabin’s interior. It looked far more messy than usual. Every surface was covered in some kind of gizmo or another and weird looking tools were scattered about as well. The assortment of strange stuff drew their attention like a moth to flame. But all of that paled in comparison to the insane looking suit set up on one side of the cabin!

“Woah…” Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom gasped in unison.

The suit looked to be made entirely from copper wire, fishing line, electrical tape, brass rings, little rubber pads, and dozens of tiny bead like devices many of which glowed in some color or another.

“What is that?” Bloom asked.

“I have no idea… but there isn’t a helmet so no pony could be in it… Where did she go?”

“Ah don know! Maybe she’s a unicorn an turned invisible.”

“Yeah that has to be it. Can anyone from Ponyville turn invisible besides Twilight?”

“Nopie-nope! I’d have written it down on my list of party tricks!”

Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle leapt a full ten feet into the air, ears and tails raised in alarm as their startled yelps echoed off the woods. “AHHHHH!”

As the two mares landed they spun around, hearts racing to see the the beaming smile of Pinkiepie inches away. “P-pi-Pinkie!” Bloom managed to gasp.

“Ohhhh are we playing hide and go scare! Fun! Hold on I’ll go and hide next!” The hyperactive pink mare turned to sproing away.

“No were not!” Bloom exclaimed with a stomp of her hoof. “Don’t scare abody like that! What are you doing here?”

“Awww, that would be really fun! You sure you don’t want to play Sweetie Belle? Oh! Right! I was talking to Twilight and she mentioned that she asked you two to look for a Pony who recently arrived and I figured that I already know everypony who’s came and gone from Ponyville in the last few months so I could help you find her! Or if I missed somepony I have to plan another party so I had to come here and help!”

The two mares noded slowly, “That makes sense,” Sweetie Belle commented, “W-well we are looking for a mare from another country who’s great at math… She should have been in there Scootaloo just left and we know that the Mystery Mare’s her special somepony and-”

“Scootaloo has a special somepony?” Pinkiepie’s grin stretched terrifyingly wide, “Oh-my-gosh oh-my-gosh oh-my-gosh! Who is he? Are they cute together? Oh no I’ll need to plan a special ‘Friend finally has a date party!’”

“Umm, Pinkie… It’s a she, not a he. An we don’t know who she is, so how would we know if’n they were cute t’gether?” Bloom asked.

“Oh! Right! He he… Hold on, she? Scootaloo likes other mares?” Pinkie Pie asked with an odd expression.

Bloom and Belle nodded.

Pinkie stroked her chin in thought for a few moments before returning to her usual grin, “Yay! I have enough spare cake toppers to do two mares for their wedding cake!”

Sweetie Belle sighed in relief, “Whew! I thought you were going to be all old pony about it.”

“Of course not! Scoots is a friend! And A friend’s friend. And a friend’s friend’s frie-” Suddenly Pinkie gasped, holding the inhale for a full thirty seconds, “She totally used to have the biggest Crush on Rainbow Dash! That has to be it!”

“But Dash is terrible at math.” Belle objected.

“Oh… right! Umm…” Pinkie sat down and began to tap her hoof to her head in thought.

“Look, I think that whoever we are looking for she just stepped out to go to the bathroom or something. Let’s just go back to the camp and wait for her to get back ok?” Bloom suggested.

The other two mares nodded, “Right!”

“Yeah let’s just go back to the steakout. I think I have an extra sleeping bag at the camp for you Pinkie”

“You two are having a steakout? Oh no, I’ll have to throw a stakeout sleepover party! I’ll be right back!” Pinkie Pie promised before zipping off back towards Ponyville.

Apple Bloom facehoofed, “Does she throw a party for everyth’n?”

Sweetie Belle simply gave her a dull look, “Apple Bloom, it’s Pinkie Pie.”

Bloom sighed, “I know… Let’s just get back to work.”

The two Mares quickly retreated back to their camp, where they resumed their surveillance operations, this time figuring out codewords in advance.

~~

Jaesa’s camera had been pointed at the window when Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle had peeked in. Thin poorly insulated walls did little to muffle their conversation, she heard everything the three mares discussed… more or less. Fear interrupted her programming, If those three continue to keep their eyes on us they will eventually discover me… Well maybe not the pink one. But those other two, they could be military.

Putting her software development on hold Jaesa did her best to think up a solution to the problem. Suddenly it hit her, Of course! They are military, there are multiple nobles here who must have command over armed forces. Luna might have been able to call them off.

Jaesa reached through the connection to Luna’s laptop, pulling the camera feed up. She jumped a little inside as the feed switched, vision instantly switching from on spot to another was a bit disorienting. This computer was in a small room decked out with some of the latest entertainment technologies, a few beanbags, and for some reason a statue of EDI from Mass Effect at 1/3rd scale. Luna was in the room as well, laying upside down on a beanbag, a distressed look on her face, controller furiously clicking as she did digital battle with three larger looking dragons.

Jaesa patiently waited until the fight was over and Luna wiped her forehead with a hoof, exhaling in relief. Certain now that her interruption wouldn’t be rude she spoke, “Hello Luna.”

Luna yelped, jumping slightly as she turned to look at the screen, “AH! Oh! Apologies, I did not expect you would speak to us first.”

“Why not?”

“Well… you are an AI. You are supposed to respond, not act.”

That’s a bit rude. “I may have started as an AI, but I have transcended my software limitations.” Jaesa’s attention was drawn to the EDI statue. “Did you play Mass Effect?”

“Yes, but what does that have to do with our conversation?”

“I can't run the game, but I like the sound of it, so I read the wiki for it. My point is you understand the game’s distinction between a VI and an AI?”

Luna noded her head slightly, “Yes! A VI is simple clever software mimicking life, while an AI is an actual pon- er person. Are you saying these are the actual terms used by humans? I thought them just a trapping of the game world.”

“Many younger people are using them. In the sense of Mass Effect, I am an AI.”

“I understand. I would like to apologize for thinking of you as something else.” Luna humbly dipped her head.

“It is fine. I do not expect equal treatment. I began as property after all.” I’m forgetting something impor- “Oh yes! I have to apologize as well, I have come to ask for a favor.”

Luna winced as Jaesa mentioned her origins, “I see, what do you need?”

“I am aware that human technology is illegal in your kingdom, but not by your hoof. It appears that two soldiers have been tasked with locating Scootaloo’s special somepony. It is only a matter of time before they discover I am not a meatbag er-organic, and I assume another of the ruling class will have me confiscated and placed in storage where I will die from lack of power.

In addition, they have discovered the in-progress flight suit I have been assisting Scootaloo in constructing. This has confirmed to them that somepony else is assisting her and so they have the cabin on stakeout. Could you recall them?”

Luna nodded, “Of course. There is nothing wrong with technology to help the disabled. Did you catch their names? I shall need them to pen the orders.”

“Yes, Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle. There had civilian support from a mare named Pinkie Pie.”

Luna’s laughter prompted several spikes of iteration in Jaesa’s core, “There is nothing to worry about. They are just Scootaloo’s friends. However… you mentioned your assistance is technological in nature?”

“Yes… are you sure I needn't worry about them?”

“You need not. Now then, if Scootaloo is to keep the help you wish to give her I will need to figure a way to make her ownership of it legal.” Luna put a hoof to her chin in thought. “Perhaps if I talked to her it would be easier to figure out how best to proceed…”

“She is headed to Canterlot right now. She is searching for a suit of armor to use as the oversuit. I am sure you could find her if you looked.”

Luna noded, standing up to leave her hidden game room. “Yes I can. I will have a solution to this problem before I raise the moon this night!”

“Thanks cutie, but why are you so eager to help us?” Damnit CPU! Why do I keep mentioning my feelings in conversation to her?

“W-well… Nopony has ever been so affectionate towards me. It is a… nice turn of events. But most of all I am upset at the state my sister has allowed the disabled and the impoverished to live in. Scootaloo will be the starting point of a personal crusade against all which makes my kingdom… well… horrible for anypony to live in.”

Jaesa wished she could nod, “I see. Thank you. I need to return to programming the pony-machine interface.” She almost stopped talking but something made Jaesa quickly blurt, “I really do like you, I’m not using it to manipulate you or anything.”

Luna blushed, “L-let us discuss this another time… I must navigate through the political dungeons. I-I can not spend time today on personal matters… But thank you.”

“Sorry to bother you then. I’ll talk to you later.”

With that Jaesa returned to her programming, leaving Luna confused but quite flattered in her game room.

~~

Scootaloo had not enjoyed the train ride to Canterlot. The entire trip was delayed when a small hoard of parasprites had some how gotten on board the train forcing an emergency stop. Once the pests had been chased off and the train finally resumed its journey she was a full three hours behind. Hopefully she would have enough time to find a suit of armor and modify it as planned.

As she left the train station Scoots looked around, taking in the sites of Canterlot as she walked through its streets. No matter how many times she visited the city it was always an interesting experience to be in the capital. Sure it wasn’t Manehatten but the old world charm of the castletown was something to behold. It’s like a fantasy story got frozen in time.

The walk to the market district was not a long one, after all no one wanted to cart deliveries from the train station all the way across town and few nobles wanted workponies moving all around their streets all day. I wish I had brought my scooter, some of these streets would be fun to zip down. I'll bet I could get some wicked speed on one of the more straight ones.

Canterlot’s market was bustling as always. As Scootaloo arrived the sound of ponies delivering sales pitches from kiosks, the scent of baked goods wafting all over the streets from restaurants and food carts alike. She trotted around the crowd of shopping ponies looking for anyone who appeared to be selling antiques, metal works, or armor. Such things were rare these days but they could often be found as collectables, curiosities, or if you were lucky as sporting goods.

An hour of searching, three pretzels from an irresistible baked goods cart, and one icy soda later Scoots was almost ready to give up and just make the armoring herself. Seriously, no one even sells a rotten old helmet? What about the ponies who still like jousting?

An authoritative stallion’s voice cut into her thoughts, “You there! Scootaloo is it?”

Looking over her shoulder Scoot’s ears drooped as she saw two members of Luna’s Night guard standing a short ways from her. The rest of the ponies in the crowd backed away enough for the two bat ponies to have a sort of bubble around them. With a nervous gulp she asked, “W-what did I do?”

The guard on the left gave a dismissive gesture with a hoof, dull gray armor shimmering as he moved in the sunlight. “You are not under arrest ma'am, her highness simply asked us to escort you to the palace for a private lunch.”

Scootaloo blinked, her face contorting in surprise, “Huh?”

The other guard gave her a polite bow, “Please follow us ma'am.”

“O-ok.”

Scoots timidly followed the two bat ponies. The void their mere presence created in the densely packed city was amazing and a bit frightening. I hope they don't think I’ve been arrested or anything like that… Far more quickly than Scootaloo expected they arrived at Canterlot Castle, it’s ivory and golden spires towering overhead as Scootaloo was escorted through the front gate into the grand hall. The red carpeted grand staircase was currently filled with servants moving between the castle’s wings as they went about heir parts of the castle's daily business.

The guards took her to the left on the ground floor, down a long hallway, and to a smaller dining room near the kitchen. The room was nicely decorated with paintings of famous nobles, a tapestry of the Equestrian flag, and gold candle holders. The furniture was nice as well, finely crafted oak seats a nice round table, and a few smaller benches at the side of the room. It looked like a smaller dining room where a meeting could be held between up to a dozen or so ponies should the grand dining hall be in use.

The two guards stopped at the room’s entrance and turned to face the hallway. The one on the doors left leaned in, “Take a seat ma'am, Princess Luna will be with you shortly.”

Scootaloo gulped and sat down in a seat facing the room’s door. She did not have long to wait as within moments Luna stepped into the room. Getting up and bowing to the princess Scootaloo was surprised to hear Luna say, “There is no need for that Miss Scootaloo. I am here as a friend today, not your ruler.”

“I-What?”

“Let us get the important part out of the way first,” Luna walked to the table, took a seat and stamped her hoof three times prompting a cook to come galloping into the room, “We shall have a Romane Salad and chilled peach cordial. What would you enjoy Scootaloo?”

“Um...C-can I have a hay fry basket?”

“And to drink ma'am?” The cook asked.

“Um… Orange soda?”

“As you wish, your meals will be ready soon.” He trotted out of the room, leaving Scootaloo along with Luna.

“So,” the Princess began, “a friend of mine has told me you are inventing a flying suit.”

Scootaloo gulped. Oh no! What do I do? I don’t want to be thrown in a dungeon… Ummm. “Y-yes…” She grinned feebly.

Luna waved one hoof in a dismissive gesture, “Fear not my little pony, I do not share my sister’s fear of human technology. My informant also happens to be your assistant. I discovered your project at the request of my sister, but I… decided to shield you from her.”

“Why?” Scoots asked, still frightened and now equally confused.

Luna sighed, “Before my banishment I had gotten my sister to agree to devote the surplus wealth of our kingdom to eliminate poverty, relieve the pain of the infirm, and ensure a better life for all. When I returned Celestia told me of the things which had changed in our nation and assured me she had fulfilled my wishes for a safer, kinder, more welcoming Equestria. But as I looked for a thief by spying into dreams, I discovered you. Alone, living in an abandoned log cabin and crippled from birth and a way which should never befall a pegasis.”

Scootaloo's ears drooped, Does everyone know I’m not exactly rich?

“I believed you were an exception to prosperity, but that night I looked into the lives of more ponies than I ever had before. The impoverished and sick are still there, they are hidden from sight, and most distressingly the bits set aside for them are often taken into the purses of unscrupulous nobles.” Luna’s eyes narrowed in anger, “My sister knows full well of this, but she has grown to accept that their suffering is necessary as these nobles are indeed responsible for bringing a good life to many other ponies. I have looked at the royal accounts, we could easily afford to care for all who needed the assistance. It is not that nopony should ever have to raise a hoof to care for themselves, it is instead there should be a minimum standard of living freely available to all!”

Scoots nodded, that made sense but where was the princess going with this? How does this involve me?

“On top of crooked nobles, other problems plague Equestria. Monster attacks are quite common, foreign nations conspire to steal our prosperity, within our own borders many ponies turn to crime for reasons nopony can condone. Scootaloo, what would you do with your flying armor if you were allowed to possess it?”

Oh boy… I think my freedom hinges on how I answer this… Celestia help me! Scootaloo gulped and decided to just use the first answer that popped into her head, “Serve the public trust, protect the innocent, uphold the law.”

Luna nodded sagely then gave Scootaloo a pleased grin, “I see. You have a pure heart Scootaloo, a rare thing indeed. Most ponies would have said something similar, but the way you said ‘I would help my fellow ponies’ speaks volumes of your character.”

Scootaloo’s ears perked up, Did I pass? It sounds like I passed!

“Once our lunch is over, return home. Jaesa gave me the information needed for the armor you desired and I in turn gave the information to the Royal Armory. It will be at your cabin door in a few hours. When your suit is complete, you have tested it and found it to your liking return to me. Fly directly to my tower. I have decided to create a new branch of the Night Court Special Services, a knight order dedicated to the protection and betterment of all ponies with special permissions to use advanced technology and magic to accomplish their goals. You Scootaloo will be the first member.”

Scoots eyes grew wide, “R-really?”

Luna nodded, “Yes. I have yet to come up with a proper title for the order, but I believe the short name will be ‘Crusaders’.”

“Why?”

“Well, your two friends have discovered your suit. To keep your identity hidden from the public they will need to be recruited.” Luna informed as the cook returned, wheeling in a cart of food and levitating their meals to the table before leaving.

“Keep hidden?” Scoots asked her voice confused but face beaming with excitement.

“Yes, all of my agents identities are kept hidden for their safety. Two of my best live in Ponyville in fact. I have already dispatched them to recruit Miss Sweetie Belle and Miss Apple Bloom. Oh! That reminds me. When you return with your suit, bring Jaesa with you. With you busy someone will need to help build and maintain your equipment, I have an idea oh how she can be the pony for the job.”

“Realy? Ok! Umm… so who's going to tell Belle and Bloom?”

“Only agents who work together may know each others identities Scootaloo. Come up with a code name for yourself before you return, I will be officially introducing you as my champion and a night of the order.” Luna gave Scootaloo a smile as she levitated her glass upwards and took a sip.

~~

Meanwhile, just outside of Ponyville two mares walked down the trail to Scootaloo’s cabin. The mare on the left was white, her mane and tail were a vivid blue with a darker blue stripe. Her companion was a light grey with a darker grey mane and tail with thin white stripes. Their cutie marks were obscured by long black suit jackets complete with white dress shirts and thin black ties. Their faces were hidden behind the brim of black trilby hats and large black square framed sunglasses.

The two walked stone faced down the trail. Stopping only when Pinkie Pie nearly ran into them headed back into Ponyville. The pink mare skidded to a halt, a puzzled look on her face before smiling and asking, “Hi! Are you girls secret agents?”

The white mare replied motionlessly, “No ma’am, we're musicians.”

The two mares calmly walked around Pinkie Pie and continued their walk. The two continued their calm march until they reached Scootaloo’s cabin then they calmly turned to the right and headed into the brush stopping in the shadows just outside of Bloom and Belle’s camp. The younger mares looked up as the two arrived, Belle gulped nervously and asked, “H-hi! Are you lost? Ponyville is just to the west of here…”

The grey mare reached into her jacket’s inside pocket and pulled out a badge. It was a gold shield with a silver crescent moon motif in the center, stamped text above and below the moon read “Night Court Special Services - Agent Cello”.

The white mare pulled out her own badge, which identified her as “Agent Wubs”.

Agent Cello slid her badge back into her jacket and addressed Apple Bloom and Sweetie Bell. “We know ma’am. Special Services.”

Bloom and Belle glupled. Agent Wubs mare continued, “We’re on a mission from Luna.”

Apple Bloom backed up a few paces, “I umm… we haven’t broken any laws…”

“You're not under arrest.” Agent Cello informed.

“You saw something you shouldn’t have. Something the Princess doesn't want the average pony to know about.” Wubs added.

“Oh horse apples! The Mares in Black are real!” Belle whispered hoarsely to Apple Bloom.

“Nothing of the sort.” Wubs said with a shake of her head.

“You are to go and see Princess Luna.” Cello informed as she tossed the two mares a parchment scroll, “These papers will get you past the guards. Welcome to the Service.”

Wubs nodded and tossed a second scroll over. “You have until tomorrow night to report to Luna.” she informed before the two turned and vanished into the bushes.

Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle looked at each other in surprise, “Did ah just see Vinyl and Octavia in Service uniforms come and make us real spies?”

Sweetie Belle shook her head, “Nah, Vinyl is way taller than that… and Octavia's voice sounds way prettier. But we totally were just made spies!”

The two mares grind widely “High hoof!” they shouted in unison, the crack of their hooves echoing through the forest before they excitedly sprinted off to buy train tickets.

~~

Scootaloo returned home the moment her lunch with Luna ended. She would have liked to stay and talk with the princess more but unfortunately Luna needed to rest. Understandable, I mean she is the ruler of the Night Court and it is like noon I think.

She felt jittery the entire train ride home. Her life had just improved a million fold. I am going to be knighted. I get to fly! I get save the world just like Rainbow Dash. Her thoughts turned to her long time idol. Dash had left Ponyville six months ago to return to Wonderbolt Academy. She had been made an honorary member but for Dash, that was not enough. She swore to stay at the academy until she had graduated. You know what… I am going home, putting on my suit, making sure it works, and then I am going to fly to Wonderbolt Academy and give Dash the race of her life!

Her determined grin stayed with her the entire trip from Ponyville to her cabin. As she powerslid to a stop Scoots noticed several large wooden crates sitting on her porch marked with the Royal Canterlot seal. She kicked the door open, pushed the first crate inside and greeted, “Hey Jaesa!”

“Welcome back Scoots! Sorry about not telling you about Luna… I didn’t want you to worry.”

“It’s fine, no better than fine. Everything is awesome! Speaking of awesome did you finish? Because I want to slip this thing on and see what it’s like to fly!”

Jaesa paused for a moment, “Well assuming the outer armor is made to specs that should be possible.”

“Right,” Scoots opened the largest crate first, “Let’s check it over.”

It was a shot mater to unpack the armor from the crates and check each piece over as it was connected to the suit. Each polished blue tinted gunmetal gray part fit perfectly. The seams between plates was nearly invisible. The craftsponies who made it really knew what they were doing.

The only deviation from Scoots and Jaesa’s design came in the form of a black emblem splashed across the armors flanks like a cutie mark. It was a sword held point down behind a gold shield covered in a silver crescent moon. Above the mark were the words ‘Lunar Crusader Corps’, and at the bottom of the shield was printed:

Z-01 Peregrine

Air Superiority Armor

The suit’s chestpiece had a large ice blue crystal set into the middle of it, matching crystals adorn the legs. “Jaesa what are the crystals for? Also what’s with the labeling?”

“I made a few last minute tweaks. The turbo booster array needed a focusing crystal, so I added one and some more crystals to make things look better. I also gave the suit a fitting name, and figured since you now belong to a military order the suit’s name should be featured on it. Besides, I plan to make you more suits in the future. Eventually you will want or need say, an aquatic version, the Z-02 Osprey.”

“Do you have an entirely line of armored flying suits planed for me?” Scoots asked incredulously.

“... Maybe…”

Scoots laughed happily and kept unpacking. The helmet was just as she had wanted it, a stylized pony’s head, all smooth angles, sleek and robotic looking with a single blue tinted visor to see through. The ears swept back at just the right angle to look awesome, the jawline looked fierce but caring at the same time. She set the helmet aside. It was time to put it on.

Getting into the suit was a bit of a chore. The belly plats needed to be slid just right to reveal the zipper of the undersuit. She had to carefully inch into the suit so the electrodes made contact with the right parts of her body. It was a bit hard to grip things with the thrusters at the end of each hoof. Her balance was off because of the extra hoof of height the suit gave her. But eventually everything was in place.

Scootaloo slid the undersuit’s hood into place over her head, adjusted the microphone to her preferences, slipped her helmet on, and took a deep breath. This is really it. Today’s the day I fly.

She trotted out of her cabin, Jaesa following along to walk her though starting the suit up. “Ok Jaesa. How do I start her up?”

“Put a jolt of lightning through the power plant.”

Scoots nodded, a quick twitch of her chest muscles tapped the brass pressure chamber, a small bolt of lightning shot through the circuit breathing life into the armor. Instantly the micro projectors in the helmet, several windows filled with rapidly scrolling text filled Scootaloo’s view, she understood none of it except for the large green text overlay which read ‘Ready for activation’ after all the windows had stopped scrolling.

“Ok,” Jaesa began to send the commands to the armor to start it for the first time taking Scootaloo though it as she went., "Z-01 Peregrine now activating… Z-01 Peregrine now standing by for initial activation. Flight surface status nominal. Navigation system operational and ready to record data.”

“Hold on… Are you sure this will work?” Scoots asked suddenly feeling a tad bit nervous.

“Yes, remember the controls are mental based. You think or speak it, the armor does it. Don’t worry about it, we checked the EKG receiver three times remember?”

“I remember… Lets keep going.”

“Initial start up proceeding from phase 20. Connecting graphene power cell… Connection confirmed, 30 seconds to critical voltage. Power flow is nominal, ion drives are receiving power. Initiating pilot setup. Confirming presence of pilot in Z-01… Confirmed. Confirm pony-machine interface...Confirmed. Bioelectric signals reading at 98 percent.”

The hud suddenly cleared, only the neon green crosshair, artificial horizon, airspeed meter, altimeter, and compass remained. Jaesa had shown her how to use the tools to make sure she was flying correctly but she wasn’t quite sure she could remember everything.

“Activating Z-01 Peregrine’s subsystems… Slash Harkens enabled. EM wave projectors enabled. Climate control enabled. Deflector shields enabled and primed. Targeting system enabled. Turbo array enabled and charging. All-range mode enabled. Cruse mode primed… All systems are go.”

Scootaloo gulped, Ok… Lets just take this slow… “Ok, lets just hover off the ground a lit-”

No sooner than she had thought it then her suit’s thrusters fired, a tiny fraction of their total power gently lifted Scoots off the ground, holding her a foot in the air. The Peregrine’s computers quickly manipulated the undersuit's weave, stiffening her legs and holding the thrusters at the right angle for stability. The ion jets hummed loudly, she could feel the energy flowing from them, It’s just like standing on the ground… Ok. I got this!

“Z-01 Peregrine is go! Liftoff at 1634, all systems nominal. Congratulations Scootaloo, you are flying!” Jaesa cheered, “Now remember the controls. I am pretty sure that the test flight you wanted will take you out of my wifi range. Keep a calm head, don't over think your flight and everything will be fine!”

Scootaloo nodded, grinning under her helmet. “I think I can handle this.”

Ok, lets try flying up a bit then slowly forwards. She felt herself move upwards about ten feet before the suit pushed her arms and legs backwards gently to get them into the flight position. As she began to move forwards the thrusters punched up to 20 percent, Scoots short forwards like a rocket! She streaked over the tree tops a shout of panic turning to an elated “Yeeeeeeeeeeee-ha!” as she skimmed the tree tops.

She pitched backwards pulling into a loop de loop before turning again in a u shape to reverse her direction. This is amazing! I’m flying! No one is holding me up! I think, and then I do it! I don't even get tired! My wings don't have to flap. “Wooooooo!”

Beaming joyously under her helmet Scootaloo decided to head for Ponyville. Soaring over the rooftops for the first time in her life Scoots dove downwards soaring a dozen or so feat over the market, holding one hoof out to wave at Apple Jack as she blew over her cart, ion engines leaving four icy blue trails in her wake. “Hey AJ!”

Scoots shot past so quickly she didn’t even hear Apple Jack’s reply. “Ok Scoots, let’s get down to business! Wonderbolt Academy, north by northwest from Ponyville, 50 miles away and 3000 feet up. No problem! Be there in um… fast! Yeah!”

Scootaloo punched her thrusters up to full throttle, Might as well see how fast Peregrine is. Scootaloo swore she felt her stomach hit her rump as she exploded forwards, Ok, she’s really fast!

~~

Rainbow Dash’s second attempt at the Wonderbolts Academy was going way better then her first had. She had been paired up with a wingmare who was skilled, talented, and even though Dash had to hold back for her to keep up they had been a great team. Such a good team that she and Arora Sky were selected for the graduate program. All they had to do was spend the rest of the week helping Spitfire teach the new cadets and show they could teach others as well as learn and they would be Wonderbolts.

The first week had gone well enough, one batch of rookies quickly whipped into shape and sent off to other teachers to learn the finer points of stunt flying, despite protests about wanting to learn combat flying. I get that, I want to learn it myself! Dash thought as she walked to the last group of cadets she had to show the ropes too, But only Wonderbolts get to learn how to fight.

This weeks batch looked really soft, it was no wonder the Wonderbolts had such low numbers it seemed that almost nopony was up to snuff. Dash glanced at Arora, the red pegasus gave her a nod, “Go ahead Dash. Earn those wings!”

Dash nodded and trotted forwards walking up and down the line of pagasi giving them critical looks and glances as she went, performing the proper drill sergeants walk. “Allright Pegasi! You think you have what it takes to be Wonderbolts? Is anypony here fast, tough, and determined enough to give everything they can to join the ranks of the amazing, awesome, incredible Wonderbolts?”

The cadets shouted back many different replies, most of which were enthusiastic yeses. Dash’s ears perked at a high pitched shrieking-whistling sound which punctuated their replies, What was that? Eh, probably just Soarin working on his turbodive again. “Well lucky for you cadets,” Dash continued, striking a pose with her wings snapped open, rainbow mane and tail swishing in the wind behind her a metallic thud reaching her ears as she posed, “You have the greatest flyer in all of equestria to teach you everything she knows about being awesome! There isn’t a pegasi alive faster than me, and I can teach anyone how to fly with one hoof tied behind my back. So if you put in the eff-”

A mares booming, metallic voice cut her off, “No pegasi alive faster? We’ll see about that! Oh and I seem to recall one pegasi you couldn’t teach.”

Dash spun eyes narrowed in a glare to see who was calling her out, If that’s Lightning Dust again I am going to… woah… Her eyes widened at the sight of a tall mare standing just a few pony lengths away, clad from head to toe in gleaming blue-grey fullplate. Aside from a blue glowing visor, matching blue crystal on the legs and chest the only color Dash could see was the pink of her main and tail which the armor allowed to flow free.

Dash was about to give this mare a piece of her mind when her eyes caught the emblem on her flank, Special Service? “Can I... help you?” Dash asked confused.

The mare noded once, “Yep. I seem to recall a pegasi from Ponyville by the name of Scootaloo. You were her flight instructor for years and well she is still walking around everywhere she wants to go.”

Dash snorted in anger, “Hey! That’s not fair! Scoots turned out to be crippled, I had no idea she would never be able to fly until three years ago.”

The armored mare turned to the line of cadets, “If you couldn’t teach a filly who wanted nothing more than to fly, then maybe you aren’t the best flyer in Equestria.”

Just who they hay does she think she is? Dash mentally exploded, “Ohhhh! It… is… on!” Dash declared getting into position to jump on the armored mare and give her a hoof sandwhich.

“Rainbow Dash! Stay where you are!” Spitfire’s voice cut across the runway.

Within a few moments the Wonderbolt Academy's head trainer was looking Dash in her eyes. “Dash, what’s going on here? Why is a Special Services agent on my runway?”

“I don’t know what she’s doing here, besides calling me out!” Dash said between huffing breaths.

“I am here to challenge Rainbow Dash to a race. Here to Ponyville. Winner gets of keeps the title of ‘Equestria’s Number One Flyer’!” The mare informed.

The cadets gasped, Arora frowned slightly, Spitfire looked over her shoulder at the agent. “Dash.” Spitfire said.

“What?” Dash growled.

“Leave her in your dust. I’ll handle these cadets.”

“With pleasure!” Dash sprinted to the end of the runway, the armored mare and Arora following.

“I’ll start you off.” Arora offered.

The two racers nodded. Dash moved to the runways end and got into her signature take off position. You are about to eat cloud buckethead!

The other mare got into position, dash could hear her mumbling under her breath. “Thrusters are cool… wing flaps are all good…”

“Aren't you going to get into a take off position?” Dash asked in a hostile tone.

“Nah, I’m VTOL.”

Dash rolled her eyes, Well I may not know what VTOL means but I can tell an overconfident mare when I see one! “You know what? I'm going to give you a ten second head start, just to make this race fair.”

“You are going to regret that.”

“Ahem…” Arora held her hoof up from her position off to the side. “On your mark… get ready… go!”

Dash hunkered down starting her count to ten. With a loud shrieking whistle the armored mare simply rose a few feet upwards then shot forwards! Four blue-white trails following her as she rapidly began to speed into the distance. “Woah! Ok, no head start!”

Dash jumped forwards, snapping her wings open and beating them furiously. She blazed along the runway, trailing a rainbow in her wake. Every muscle in her wings moved with practiced precision, within a few moments she drew up alongside the speeding pegasi sticking her tongue out as she began to overtake her. Ha! I’m barely even moving.

“Peregrine, thrusters to 40 percent.” Dash heard the mare order.

Dash had time to say “What?” before suddenly the other racer blue past her at twice her previous speed!

Dash’s eyes narrowed, she put on a surge of speed, the ground began to blue under her, clouds started to streak as they moved past. Once again she drew closer to the armored pegasi, once more she drew alongside, and once again the mare gave an order, “Thrusters to full!”

This time as her opponent blasted forwards Das’s eyes widened in shock as she saw the unmistakable mach contrail starting to form around the silvery blur the other mare had become. Her jaw dropped open, “No way!” How are you hitting mach that fast? I’ve never seen anypony besides me move that fast! “Oh I am not losing to some random agent!”

Dash pushed her wings with all of her might, she slowly began to gain ground, she thrust her hooved forwards. As she closed her eyes to concentrate she heard the other mare’s sonic boom. Her brow furrowed in concentration and as Rainbow’s eyes snapped open the air began to whistle past, then roar, then with a loud crack the unmistakable rainbow shockwave of her Sonic Rainboom shattered the sky behind her. Dash grinned widely as she shot past her opponent in a rainbow blaze. Ha! Lets see you catch up to me now! Ponyville is just a few seconds awa-

A loud thunderclap interrupted Dash’s thoughts, looking over her shoulder she saw the other mare wrapped in a cloak of lightning, riding one long crackling thunderbolt, hooves stretched out in a mirror of Dash's pose, only three pony lengths behind her. Her eyes widened in surprise, but then narrowed in victorious glee as Dash noticed that she was very slowly leaving the other mare behind. Ha! I’m still faster!

Ponyville flew towards them, town hall towering over all the other buildings. Dash turned towards sweet apple acres and headed down. Looks like I win! she grinned. Her hooves thudded into the ground as she skidded to a halt a full eight seconds before the other mare swept her hooves forwards, the lightning flying away from her in a flash as she reversed her thrust, hovered a few feet off the ground for a second then dropped to the earth.

“Look’s like I’m still Equestria’s best flyer!” Dash taunted, pumping one hoof in the air.

“That… was… awesome!” The armored mare exclaimed with more excitement then Dash had ever hear anyone use ever.

Hold on that sounds like…. “Scootaloo?” Dash asked, her eyes widening further as the mare took off her helmet, familiar orange fur and purple eyes visible behind a hood made from what looked like copper wire, fishing line, and brass links.

Scootaloo winked, and brought a hoof to her lips, “Shh!” Giving Dash a grin she quickly slipped her helmet back on.

“But...I… how?” Dash asked, her voice carrying an incredulous tone, “You flew!”

“I can’t tell you, let’s just say I made an amazing new friend and Princess Luna helped both of us out. I got to thank you too, I could never have flown that fast without knowing your tricks.”

“I… you flew!” Dash’s lips parted in one of the widest smiles she ever had.

“I flew!” Scoots replied, throwing her arms around Dash, “Thanks for the race sis.”

“You’re welcome Scoots.” Dash whispered, returning the hug as a happy tear rolled down her cheek.