• Published 12th Aug 2014
  • 1,988 Views, 38 Comments

A not so dark art. - Voltsthevoltvolts



Dead quiet lives in peace however when she takes a amulet from a zebra she soon meets what can only be described as a headache

  • ...
5
 38
 1,988

With company in the morning

Twilight woke up, she sat up and looked around. Rarity was sleeping soundly, snoring in a ladylike fashion. Meanwhile Spike was fidgeting while he slept in a cute manner. However the last bed was empty, the Necromancer was nowhere to be seen. Twilight jumped out of bed and walked out to the hallway. Twilight entered the kitchen to find it completely devoid of light, she then entered what was still the main room to find nothing there. Twilight finally went out the back door into the large garden. Among the skeletal farm hands she could easily see the Necromancer at the end sat on a bench made from bone.

Twilight sat next to the Necromancer, who kept her gaze off into the distance. The small hill that the house was situated on gave a good view of Everfree forest's depths. "Its beautiful, one of the reasons I live out here." The sun was just hovering over the tree line as it started to rise, as the Necromancer had said, it was a beautiful sight. "You know, you never had to hide it from me. You could have told me and it wouldn't of mattered." The Necromancers normal voice was soft and comforting, however Twilight could tell she was talking about something more serious.

"What do you mean?" Twilight questioned.

"Your dragon, late last night he had a coughing fit and spat out a letter marked with the royal seal. I haven't read it." The Necromancer pull a small scroll out from under the bench with Celestia's seal binding it. True to her word the seal had not been broken or showed any signs of it being tampered with. "I just have to know, did she send you to spy on me?" The Necromancer sounded hurt at the end of her sentence.

"No, she didn't. But I may as well come out completely. I'm Celestia's student and me and my friends are the ponies who bare the elements of harmony." Twilight looked away, and hoped that she would understand. The skeletons that had been shuffling around had stopped and Twilight could feel the full force of their eyeless gaze upon her. The Necromancer was unpredictable in the best of times, for all Twilight knew she could be without flesh within a heartbeat. However she could not predicted what would come next.

A hug.

Twilight felt something wrap around her, something warm and then then a sigh. She looked up and saw the Necromancer hugging her. Not in a loving way, but in a friendly way, a thankful way. It took Twilight a few moments to realize that this was most likely the first contact the Necromancer had have with living in decades, because of this Twilight felt complied to return the hug.


it felt odd for dead, hugging something that was warm and pulsating with life but she did not dislike it. Dead sighed happily as she felt her feelings being returned. Not only had the living who had shown up exceeded her expectations, but they would also be the living who would stop if she ever went down the dark path again. After a full minute she finally pull herself away. "Thank you Twilight. Thank you for being honest, thank you for not freaking out when I hugged you. I haven't had contact with the living since I was eight."

Twilight smiled warmly at Dead. "Its okay, we all need a hug sometimes. I am just sorry for not being honest with you from the start, I was just worried about how you would react."

"Its okay Twilight, sometimes I don't even know what I am going to do. But since you talked to me yesterday I have felt a burden slowly relive itself from my back." Dead smiled, she once again had hope in the living, she felt calm and at peace. "Maybe, just maybe I will be able to return."

"Yeah, maybe someday. I don't know how everypony would react, but I would make it work." Twilight said with reassurance in her voice.

Behind them the sound of a door opening could be heard. "Of there you two are! Looks like the storm has subsided finally." Rarity said happily. "Will you be showing us out?"

"No Rarity, I don't think I will be kicking anypony out yet. However there is a pressing matter I have to talk to you about. You see, Twilight told me about her being Celestias student."

"Before you ask, I know where this is going. I am the element of generosity."

"Thank you Rarity, I know its not easy keeping a secret." Dead gave her a smile. "Now all we are waiting for is Spike, I have news for you all!"

"Somepony say my name?" Spike said as he emerged from doorway and running over to the group.

"Wait, I thought you put Rarity in a sleeping curse?" Twilight ask, suddenly realizing that at no point had Dead undone it.

"Oh yeah, I undid that when I got up, don't worry it should have no after effects. Anyway my news!" Dead said happily. "I think it is about time I told you all my name, seeing as I trust you all. I must warn you, my name was a bit of and odd one. It kind of fits my dark choice of magic... My name, is Dead Quiet! I was called that because that was what I was when I was born, my family though I was dead..."

"Wow... That's kinda depressing..." Spike said, his happy demeanor slowly diminishing.

"Most of the skeletons here just call me Dead. Which is also pretty odd, but its my name." Dead said remaining rather happy. "But I won't consider it rude if you come up with a less... Dead-y nickname for me."

"I don't have a problem with calling you Dead. If its your name, its your name!" Rarity said with happy demeanor that seemed to revive Spikes happy attitude. "So Dead, did you have any other news?"

"Yes, just one thing. And its more of a request. Could you three perhaps take me to Celestia? I won't be able to properly migrate back into pony society without an official pardon. So do you think you would be able to help me?" Dead said with renewed optometrist.

"Dead," Twilight started. "I promise you that we will go to Canterlot and WE WILL get you pardoned! Or my name isn't Twilight Sparkle!" Twilight got up and raised her hoof in the air. Rarity soon followed.

"If you are going to Canterlot you will certainly need a dress! I don't think they would take you seriously if you didn't!" In reality Rarity just wanted to see if she would be able to get Dead wearing a dress like Rainbow Dash had.

"Yes, my rather old dusty robes are a bit, well depressing... Also they have bone inlay, so they are not practical for wearing when in and out of society. I would be more then honored if you make me a dress Rarity. I have a large surplus of old silk that I used when making the battle robes, its magic has drained but it is still some strong silk. Maybe I could give it to you?"

"Hmmm I'd have to see the materials first, but I should be able to take it." Rarity added.

"I hate to be a negative aspect here, but what if Celestia says no?" Spike said in a rather sad tone.

"If she says no I will run back here. She shouldn't be able to find me, and I can always pack up and move."

"Alright then!" Twilight said. "I guess we better head to Ponyville!"

"To Ponyville!" The group shouted simultaneously as they made their way out of the forest towards the nearby village.

Author's Note:

Working on a sequel... More or less. And I also had a ton of fun writing this!

Comments ( 11 )

I think Celestia is in for a surprise.

YAY!
SEQUEL!

I say that it should be Luna they meet first.

4856568
4857367

I am glad you both liked my story! Rest assured it will not be too long of a wait for the next story. :twilightsmile:

4910635

Oh no we can't hold back we can't hold out. Oh you know we wish we couuulllddd

Sometimes I get that part confused. :facehoof:

5041531 Glad someone noticed that reference :twilightsmile:

Comment posted by light snow deleted Jan 18th, 2015

Where did Dead in Civilisation go? It disappeared from both my favourites and your story list.

5519344

Its under heavily development. I will get round to bringing it back, just when I have more experience

Really wanted to use, "So your name isn't Twilight Sparkle. Huh." but... Looks like I'll have to find sequel!

There used to be a sequel.
What happened?

Login or register to comment