• Published 2nd Aug 2014
  • 913 Views, 7 Comments

A Day with Spike the Dragon - IMN



After a failed experiment, Spike is sent to the human world.

  • ...
8
 7
 913

Last Day.... Or is it?

Earth:

"You take a small amount of the sample using the micro-needle, then inject it in the sample holder here. But first you need to open the holder by turning this dial to the indicated direction." I take a deep breath, while carefully cleaning the needle using a special tissue provided by my lab.

"So, what does this thing do again?" Spike asks after taking the fury of notes.

"This is an HPLC," I explain, "It will separate all the molecules within our sample and it will tell me if the protein we are looking for is there or not, simply by reading the peaks that comes out on the monitor."

Today is a Monday, it is also a celebration for Spike being here for a month now, and to say that I got attached to the little guy would be an understatement. Spike took a central part in my everyday life, and he did it ever so subtly that I didn't even realize I was leaning on him that much until my sister pointed it out when she came to visit last week. That goes without saying however, I grew quite fond of his little quirks.

Although the homesick baby dragon has gotten used to his environment quite well, I still can't help but feel him being evasive. At first I thought it was homesickness, or missing his friends and family. But then I started to realize that there are some details he keeps hidden from me whenever we talked about the show, or just talk in general.

Regardless of what it is or what it should be, personally, I don't have the time or the energy to worry about that, because today is the first day of practical work on my research. Last week I finished reading all the articles that were sent to me, then managed to draft an experimental procedure which earned the good-to-go from my professor. I do own my fast pace to Spike for his amazing help. Say what you will about him, he is an amazing assistant.

Which brings us to today, as I prepare the sample for injection into the machine, I hear my phone ringing, "Spike, can you please answer that?"

Spike nods, picks up the phone then goes out into the hallway, after a brief conversation, he bops his head back in, "It's your mom, she says it's important."

I nod, "tell her I'll be right with her, just as soon as I finish this injection and start the process."

Spike nods, then tells my mom to wait a moment.

Surprisingly though, my family took quite well to the baby dragon, at first there was a bit of apprehension, being a mythological creature entering your home and all. My dad in particular wanted to keep an eye out for his fire breath, being the paranoid father he always is. However Spike's good nature and willingness to learn did ease the tension, albeit by little.

After I finish the injection and realized the process started on screen, I went to the hall and picked up the phone, I answered in my native tongue, "[What could be so important that you need to call me in the middle of my first day of lab work?]"

The next words that I heard left a hole in my heart, "[Someone is here for Spike; his name is Shining Armor. He is a horse, son.]"

My mouth became dry, and my mind swirled in a thousand direction, however the only thought that kept popping up in my head was too soon.

"[Pippa stop growling at our guest.]" My mother's voice broke my daze as I realized that my dog is still giving a low, though audible, growl, then I hear a nervous voice from the background saying: "Nice doggy, good doggy."

I look at my watch and realize it's still 7:30 in the morning, so my mom is still at home and haven't went to work yet, "[I'll be done around 1:00 at noon, so I'll be there around 3:00 in the afternoon.]"

"[Son, I don't think you heard me right. There is a Horse, in my House.]"

"[Mom, we talked about this, the dragon comes from a land of candy colored horses. Besides, he is sentient, so I'm sure you can talk to him about it, he'll understand.]"

"[Fine, but if he makes a mess, you're cleaning it up.]"

I sigh before closing the line.

Spike looks at me with concern, "Is everything alright?"

I look at him and gave a smile, "Good news, you're going home."


Its 2:00 in the afternoon, Spike has been unable to hold his excitement, as he keeps jumping up and down on the window of the bus. After I told him who came to pick him up, Spike left to my dorm, packed all his stuff, then returned to the lab all giddy and such, then waited patiently while I finished my work, got my results, ate lunch with him, sent my results to my professor, went straight to the station, met up with my sister, then took the bus to my hometown.

"[Such a sad face,]" my sister teases, "[and here I thought you'd be happy for him, not that you grew overly attached or anything, just saying.]"

"[I am,]" I reply nonspecifically, "[there has been something on my mind though.]"

"[Care to share?]"

"[Well I don't think Spike is being completely honest with me.]"

My sister turns to me with a fake shocked expression.

"[You knew, didn't you.]" I say expecting her answer.

"[Call it instincts, it just seems like he knew you too well, he knew you would house him in, although he is a creature from another dimension, he knew you would take care of him, keep him safe, don't you find that a little odd?]"

I nod at her insinuation. "[What bugged me the most is that he knew exactly where I lived, both my dorm and our hometown, it's like he's been instructed to know.]"

"Hey," Spike looks at us, "What are you two talking about?"

We both look at him for a moment, I sigh then answer, "Well, I've been wandering about something."

"About what?"

"Every time you talked about the show, I get the feeling that there is something you keep hiding from me, like there is another character, or a series of events that you purposefully don't want me to know about."

Spike's expression changed almost in an instant, he has that same look my dog has when she gets caught doing something bad. "Like when?" he feigns ignorance.

"Well, when you told me about that time you released Discord from his prison." I explain trying to recap his exact words, "You said Celestia had a very big plan for him, and that he is the only one who could perform it, but you never told me what it is, even though you seemed to have known about it."

"Or that story about Flim Flam brothers," My sister interjects, "You said that someone already proved their tonic didn't work but everyone ignored him because Applejack said that it did."

The guilt on his face intensifies, "Ok," he cracks surprisingly fast, "there is something I kept hidden from you."

"[Aha, I knew it.]" My sister replies triumphantly.

"[Shut it.]" I tell her, knowing my sister, I wouldn't hear the end of it. However that did earn me that Oh so joyful death glare from her, which means I am definitely not going to hear the end of it now.

I then return to Spike who looks at me apologetically, "Are you mad at me?"

I gave a deep sigh, "Not really, but I do like to know what it is you are hiding from me."

Spike hesitates for a moment, "I...can't. I made a magical promise not to."

Frustration starts to show on my sister, "Oh come on, don't tell me it's that Pinkie Pie promise, you know that a horse isn't going to come out of nowhere and punch you in the face, right?"

Spike looks a bit on edge, "You wish it's a Pinkie Pie promise." he turns his neck to us, and for the first time I notice there is a triangular mark on his neck.

"What on earth is that?"

"It's a charm, it prevents me from talking about it."

My sister looked more aghast than I am, "[I'm not sure I want to send him back.]" she tells me, and for the first time I agree with her, that is extremely cruel.

"[We'll ask about it before we give him to whomever is there to pick him up.]"

"I knew it, you're mad at me." Spike's eyes tear up all of a sudden, as the once very cheerful dragon turns sad.

Surprisingly though, it was my sister who picked and started to coo him, "There, there, we're not mad at you, calm down now and stop crying, remember you are going back home." Which earned us more than a few inquisitive looks.

"[Just focus on your driving.]" I yell at the bus driver, who seemed most eager to butt in.


We reach our family house at 4:15 in the afternoon to find, much to our surprise, the front door open, and Pippa barking rigorously at something from inside.

I motion silently to my sister who was carrying Spike on her shoulder to hide in the hallway while I sneak in from the door to my room, then silently reach to my Bokken before heading toward the saloon where I found my dog barking at a large purple bubble.

"Uh, Hello?!" I yell from behind the door.

"Help me." was all the bubble could manage.

"Shining Armor I presume?"

"Yeah, can you please get that monster away from me?"

I smirk, then motion for my sister to get in with Spike.

"[Pippa, down.]" I yell and my dog runs to greet me all the while keeping an eye on our guest.

"Shining!" Spike yelled then ran toward his elder sibling.

Shining, at hearing his younger's voice, brought down the shield then trotted toward him giving him a big hug.

My sister came from behind and whispers, "[Can I keep him as a pet?]"

"[The horse?]"

She nods.

"[Do you want to give your mother a heart attack?]"

"[But it's a magical talking horse with a horn on its head, it's every girl's dream to own one.]"

I gave her a deep contemplative stare before breaking into laughter.

"Thank you for taking care of him," Shining steps toward us, earning a growl from my dog, "we were worried sick that he might be in deep trouble."

"It's ok, just one thing, why was the front door open, and where are my parents?"

Shining scratched his head with his hoof, earning a squee from my sister. "I think your parents are still at work, as for the door..." his eyes trail off to my dog, "I was running away from her, but she didn't even let me through the door."

I don't know what's more comical, the fact that a dragon is afraid of my pup, or the fact that a full grown horse is afraid of her.
Either way, she is being a bit too aggressive for my liking, I know she doesn't like strangers, but to that degree!? I think a behavior correction is needed before things get out of hand.

"We still need to ask you a few questions before you leave," I hear my sister step in from behind.

Oh right. The mark.

"I know." was all Shining Armor said before a shroud of purple light surround his horn and knocked my sister and I unconscious.

"What did you..." was all I heard before darkness swept in.


"[Pippa, Stop.]" I wake up with my dog licking my face, just as I got up, I realize I was in my room, which is pretty odd, because the last thing I remember is looking over the results of my experiment, in the university's cafeteria.

"[How?]" But before I could ask my question, I hear my mother from the door, "[You're awake!]"

"[Why am I here?]" I ask her, "[Or better yet, how did I get here?]"

"[I don't know, your dad and your sister are here as well,]" her answer seem mired with mystery, "[seems we are all having a collective amnesia or something. Do you remember anything from last month?]"

I tried to remember, all that came into my mind are the plethora of articles I have read this month to get to the practical stage of my research. "[Just studying. Is everyone alright?]"

My mother nod.

"[Guess I have to go back to my dorm, any idea what time it is?]"

"[It's half past midnight.]"

Damn.


Equestria:

Shining Armor and Spike walk of the portal mirror, and for the first time since its opening twelve hours ago I start to relax, ceasing whatever amount of magic I have been conjuring. I watch as a purple alicorn to my left does the same, and to my right, the draconequus flops on a fainting couch with Rarity still on it.

"Get off of me you brute." the white unicorn exclaimed as she ran toward the dragon who was being hugged by his sister. the same sister who had been frantically trying for the past month to find a way to bring him back after she 'accidentally' did a test run on my fourth wall breaking mirror. Which isn't complete by the way.

Shining Armor approaches me, "You could have warned me of how vicious your dog is."

I give him a hurt expression, "my dog is a shrimpy canine who likes to jump, lick, eat, sleep, and poop. And not necessary in that order."

"And use me as a chewing toy." Spike protests while being smothered in hugs and kisses.

"And chase me around the house." Shining Armor continues, "Seriously, if I didn't know any better, I'd say you were raising the spawn of Cerberus."

"Any way." I need a change of subject, "Thank you for your unnecessary help Twilight, again. Now I know how to fix the time and space because of your little mishap. Still I need to find a way to incorporate a species changing spell into it, can't walk in the human world looking like a changeling." I give thme a halfhearted laugh.

"Oh you're such a downer." Jumps Discord who had been oddly calm until now, "Where is the fun in being the same specie as everyone else? I mean look at me." fireworks starts to come out of his back side. "Besides, you're a changeling, can't you change into a human once you're there?"

"There is no magic in the human world," why am I having this conversation anyway, each and everyone in this room have at least tried to kill me once, some even thrice. "And unless I want to end up on a burning spike in city center square, I will never head home as a changeling."

"But I never saw anyone being killed like that." Spike has the rights to it. But yet again, he spent his entire time wearing the most concealing clothes I could ever find for him. So even if he was ever seen, he'd probably looked like a stompy little kid.

"In fact, the only time I ever saw violence, is when you told Shining Armor to wipe your memory and the memory of your entire family, of Me!" The sudden sadness on Spike's face spoke volumes, as a changeling I can taste his love for me, and I have to admit, there is a lot of it, have I made a mistake?

"You need to understand, Spike, I only did this to protect my family from this." I motion to myself, I don't know if my family will become changelings if they come here, but after what I have been through... "Unfortunately it came at your expense."

"I understand your need to protect your family." Spike broke from the hugs of his lover and sister. "But what about your memories? Aren't I important enough for you to remember?"

"I'm sorry," I answer while shaking my head, then grab the mirror with my magic and start to trot toward my house at the other end of town. Leaving without saying a word is becoming a habit I must get rid of before returning home.


Half way home Discord interrupts my march, "wait. Aren't you forgetting something?"

"What are you talking about?" I really don't want to deal with him at that moment.

"Aren't you forgetting to say something to your readers?"

I got dumbstruck for a moment, "Your utter disregard of the fourth wall is frightening."

"Says the guy who is trying to cross It." he quirks his head toward me. "You'll be leaving them with a major cliffhanger ending of what is supposed to have been a one shot fan fiction."

"You do realize that in my other fan fiction I am trying to kill you, right?" I reply expecting something to change.

"Meh, I'll survive." he replies nonchalantly, to my disappointment. Then gets excited again, "So, tell them!"

"Fine, but I'll tell them only in letter form." I don't need him to know what I'm about to tell them, he is more fickle than my mother about my dates.

My dearest, most faithful readers.

What you have just read is the prelude to a major story I am currently writing titled "From Biochemistry with Love."

Hope you enjoy it as much as I am enjoying writing it.

Yours truly.

"That's it?" Discord suddenly snatches the letter from my magical grasp. "Where is the juice? Where are the secrets? Where is the action?"

"Discord, get back here with that letter or else." I growl with anger, I am at wits end with this world, and that chimera's pranks.

"Or else what?" he taunts me, while waving that letter in front of my face.

It takes me a second to conjure my magic and change my shape into that of my dog. A growling Bichon Havanese.

"Oh you're so cute, with those floppy ears and that bushy tail and... AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH."

And Discord learned his first lesson about the human world: dogs there, no matter how small, have very sharp teeth.

Author's Note:

Just to satisfy your curiosity, here is a picture of my dog and her pup:

my dog and her pup

Also, my dog is nowhere half as vicious as I make her out to be, she is a guard dog mind you, but she spends all her time sleeping on my bed instead of actually being a threat to strangers who she doesn't like.

About "From Biochemistry with Love." Well you just got the main idea from this little exposition, however that story is much older than this one, the only problem is that it doesn't have a timeline or a structure, and previous experience have proven that I can't publish a story without a timeline at the very least. (for those who remember Darkrise) However I made the connection between the 2 stories yesterday eve when I received not one but 2 comments on continuing it.

And finally, 'From Biochemistry with Love.' will not be published so soon. there is still much work to be done before that happens. Consider this a teaser from me because I am mean spirited.

Yours truly

IMN

Comments ( 2 )
IMN

4795654
4789483

I managed something surprising, hope it's not a disappointment :pinkiesad2:

4803829 It wasn't. Can't wait for "From Biochemistry to Love". Keep up the good work.

Login or register to comment