• Published 2nd Aug 2014
  • 913 Views, 7 Comments

A Day with Spike the Dragon - IMN



After a failed experiment, Spike is sent to the human world.

  • ...
8
 7
 913

Just Another Saturday*

I wake up like I usually do every Saturday morning for the past month, sleeping on my laptop with articles plastered all over my screen. However this Saturday I wake up to a rather large crash.

"Get back here." I hear a rather familiar voice yelling, followed by a deep growl.

I sigh, stretch, then stand up and head to the kitchen. To my surprise, I find a broken dish with eggs splattered all over the floor and a rather small purple dragon wrestling a tray from the jaws of my Bichon Havanese.

"Spike, what are you doing?"

Startled, he lets go of the tray and falls on his back, so does my dog. However she decides to run to me, the tray in her mouth, wagging her tail as happy as she can be.

"She started it." Spike protests to my amusement, "I was preparing a good healthy breakfast for you, since you pulled an all-nighter yesterday, but she had to butt in and grab the tray trying to take it away from me."

I shoot a glance at my dog, then the food, I make a mad face. She drops the tray in front of me then whines with the guiltiest look on her eyes.

"Pippa, go to your house." I command while pointing a finger to her doghouse, without any protest she gets up and heads toward her house, however as she passes next to the baby dragon she growls at him and he flinch back.

"She really hate me." he tells me and I laugh.

"Come on, let's get you cleaned up first."


Now before I continue, I have to mention that I am not exactly good with kids, I find them mostly annoying, but I do put up with them when the need arise for it, so dealing with Spike has been interesting to say the least.

After a small shower, I clean the mess in the kitchen, then put up the table for breakfast, today's breakfast is orange cake with milk.

"Sorry I woke you up." Spike looks at me apologetically, "I really don't know what got into her, and just after I put the tray she started to growl and me and then tried to snatch the tray from me."

"She's just jealous that you are taking all the attention and she's not." I explain, trying to lighten the mood, "However you need to put some muscles if a scrawny dog like mine gave you a hard time."

My attempts have definitely backfired judging from his frown.

"It's just a joke Spike, no need to take it seriously." I thought back for a moment, "You don't need to think too much about her either, Pippa only listen to two people on this planet, even my father have a hard time getting her to simply sit."

"You know this isn't the first time I have been around dogs, but yours is the first I have trouble with."

I simply chuckle, then trying to change the topic, "Any plans for today?"

"Well it's a Saturday, so I'm thinking we could go explore the town for a bit," he says eagerly, "You can bring up that jacket and pretend that we are brother like last time."

"Last time?" When did I ever took him outside?

"A couple of days ago, when you went to training and took me to watch." Spike clarifies, "It's only been a week since I came here, you can't possibly have forgotten already."

"Sorry," my reply is accompanied with a blush and an apologetic glance, it's been one heck of a week, trying to keep tabs on everything that happened has been a challenge.

"It's ok," he replies, "I know I've been a burden ever since I came here." His voice growing sadder by the minute.

I need to change the mood and quick, "No you haven't, and it’s because of my research. I have been too focused on it to actually be able to take care of you properly."

"Like buying me some gems?" He almost jumped at that prospect, damn he changes his mood fast.

"Yeah, never going to happen." I reply crushing him instantly, "I don't have the bits to buy you something so expensive just so that you can eat it."

He sits back, trying to hide his frustration with the cutest huff, then after a moment of silence he says, "What is your research about anyway? I know it has something to do with BMX and hepa-something."

"The drug BMX 47 and Hepatocarcinoma, correct." I think back for a moment, "How do you know about my research?"

"I glanced at that screen you keep looking at and read those words." He explains, "So what are they?"

I smile, he is definitely the curious type; “BMX 47 is a potential medicine for a disease called liver cancer I have been researching its actions to make sure that it has the potential to cure."

"I thought you called it Hepato-what's-it's-name."

"Hepatocarcinoma is the scientific name, liver cancer is its common name."

"And is it a problem?"

"What is?"

"Liver cancer."

"It is, liver cancer kills more than any other type of cancer known."

"There are other types?" I stop eating when I saw the aghast look on Spike face, "And are they all fatal?"

"Well generally it depends on each case, we can cure up to seventy percent of all cancer cases with what we have, but it's still a dangerous life threatening disease, so research like mine are being conducted all over the world to find more cures with less side effects...Is this the first time anyone told you about this?" realizing just how frightened Spike has become I decide to stop my explanation before I say something I might regret.

"Yeah, it's just that, I never thought a disease like a common cold could," Spike gulps, "Kill." he ends his last world with a shiver, from his previous stammering, I fear I may have traumatized him.

"Well," I need to find an explanation, and fast, "to compare cancer to the flu is farfetched, cancer is a lot more scarce than a normal common cold you get every season, and there is a great chance that one doesn't get cancer their entire lifetime."

That seemed to have made him calm down a bit, "I thought that everyone in this world died of it."

I laughed, "Silly Spike, even if they don't die of cancer, everyone have to die eventually."

And from his horrified expression, I realize that I just stepped on another landmine. Yep I really hate dealing with kids.


It's sometime around noon when I decided to stop my research.

I walk over to the sitting room where I found young Spike laughing in front of the TV, I glance over and realized that he was watching My Little Pony. I smile, "Having fun there?"

"Yeah," he replies with a chuckle, "I never realized that the connection between our worlds is that in yours we are a cartoon."

Guess I forgot to mention that to him, how silly of me. Glad that he finally changed his mood from the somber breakfast we had. I decide to come over, "So how did you find it?"

"It's good," He replies with the biggest grin I have seen on his face since he came here by accident, "I watched that episode where Trender Hoof came to town, a lot of the details are sketchy, and they did omit a lot of what happened."

"Like what?" I ask trying to remember if I watched that episode. You see, a day or so after I found him on my door step, I decided to watch a few episodes from the series, just to get the general idea of who I am going to live with.

And just like that, his smile disappears, "Well they forgot to mention the part where Rarity tried to bed him."

Huh, pony society is comfortable talking about things like sex but not about things like death, that's unorthodox? No that's not the word for it.

Spike however continues with a smirk on his face, "Or like when Applejack bucked him to a tree when he tried to force himself on her."

"What did they get right then? In the show I mean."

Spike looked at me with sad eyes again. "My relationship with Rarity."

Ouch, that's not a landmine, that's a nuke. "Oh, sorry to hear that."

"It's ok, I just never thought that she view me anything more than just a friend." Spike has that 'I just got my heart broken' look that I have seen often.

"Have you ever confronted her about your feelings?"

"Once, but I think there should be an episode about that, so you know how that turned out to be."

Ah, when he turned into a giant rampaging dragon. Yep, shutting a guy up in the middle of a confession is a deal breaker, as far as my meager experience goes.

"How about this then, the moment when you return back, you walk up to her and tell her exactly how you feel."

Spike gave me an anxious look, "but won’t that strain our relationship? I really don't want to lose her as a friend forever you know."

I gave him a confident shoulder pat, "Sure it will, but look at it this way, if you don't take the risk you'll never know whether she really like you or not. And if that ended your relationship to her, then she isn't a good friend to begin with, and you’re better off without her."

"But I don't want to break her heart," he is stammering again, "nor do I want to break mine."

"Oh you worry too much, remember time heals all wounds."

"But if time heals all wound, shouldn't it be able to prevent death?"

God damn it, not this again, why do you have to be so perceptive! "You're right, time doesn't heal all wounds, and it can certainly not prevent or even reverse death. But it will make the pain of the heart tolerable, and eventually it will make you stronger and smarter, so that the mistakes you made in the past won't come back and harm you again."

That finally did the trick in boosting his confidence, and putting a smile on his face, which just as quickly disappeared.

"What now?" I finally give into my frustration.

"Do you think they'll ever want me back?" He looks at me with those hopeful big emerald eyes of his.

"They'll be crazy not to." I reply maintaining my warmest smile.

"But it's already been a week, what if..."

"Then I just earned myself a number one assistant." I reply playfully, hoping he caught on to my joke, "trust me, there is no way any pony will leave a great friend like you behind."

With his smile returning, I hear a notification on my laptop, I go there and realize that my professor had sent me another article, which I decide to ignore completely for the moment, I have a homesick baby dragon to take care of.

"Say Spike," I say from my bedroom, "have you ever had fried chicken before?"

"You mean meat?" He replies bobbing his head into my room, "They say it's important for my diet, but I never had any."

"Then you're in luck," I say while taking my jacket, "Go grab your disguise, I'm taking you to taste your very first chicken sandwich."

"Is it going to be like your martial arts training?" he replies apprehensively, "Because you nearly gave me a heart attack back then."

I deadpan, then break into laughter, "Nothing of the sort." I reply while giving him his jacket.

I may not be good with kids, but I have a feeling that I'm going to miss him when he leaves.

Author's Note:

120 minutes + distractions,

And now proofread to the best of my capacity