• Published 21st Jul 2014
  • 435 Views, 2 Comments

The Chronicles of Summer Rain, Vol. 5 -- Faded Memories - shysage



A simple Unicorn mare falls into a terrible trap, and ALL Equestria 'forgets'...

  • ...
20
 2
 435

Chapter 16, Aftermath

After 'remembering', and enjoying some 'Whatzit', most of Equestria got quickly back to the task of putting their lives, then their families, then their towns back together again.

The primary task was the restoration of the food supply for hungry ponies all over Equestria. Cloudsdale was probably hit the hardest, and most had to fly down to the ground to even survive.

The 'social destruction' that resulted from losing the memory of 'everything important' was pretty complete, but quickly reversed itself once everyponies' memory was restored.

After the second day, maybe, Equestria looked mostly like nothing had ever happened.

Still, there was a price that was paid...

The 'memory spell' that PonyRos had directed, was not nearly as 'deep' as the Zombie spell that Sunset Shimmer had cast on the realm. Generally, mares with foals still cared for them.

However, those mares that had foals within maybe 24 hours of the casting of the memory spell did not. They forgot their foals... Most towns across Equestria lost one or two very young foals as a result, and this was heart-breaking.

The emotional toll of the 'wontonness spell' was considerably greater.

First, the spell 'kicked in' only occasionally, and, when it did, it was frequently triggered by past familiarity. This usually meant that a mare 'under this influence' would usually be after her Stallion. But this was not always the case. A 'visual substitute' could be the target too...

Second, most of the stallions in Equestria rightly ran away when confronted with a mare like this. Avoiding the violation of potentially somepony elses' close relationship was evidently deeply embedded in Equestria's soul.

Still, in most cities, there were 'unplanned' pregnancies.

For the most part, families simply embraced and treasured this added responsibility, and would prove to love each one as their own, regardless of how it happened. Equestria knew the realm itself had been violated, and just picked up and moved on. Ponies are a hardy breed.

Sadly, there were a few relationships for which this proved a 'bridge too far' (for the stallion usually), and some previously deep relationships were painfully fractured, or in some cases, severed. This was heart-breaking too. The mare had absolutely no control over this...

And it soon became clear, that, around the realm, there were a handful of stallions that managed to see through the memory spell, and clearly took advantage of more than one mare in their cities. These stallions were immediately arrested, and would be assisting Equestria with various difficult public works projects for years to come.

With the exception of Princess Celestia and Princess Cadance, this spell thankfully did not otherwise impact Equestria's leadership.

Still, as 'take-overs' go, this particular one was fairly calm. It had been a lot worse in the past, even the recent past...


Star Dusk was interred near the edge of the Commons lawn, closer to the edge from the Circle Garden, along the left side of the Commons. The ceremony was somber, her life and death were just tragic. A stone monument detailing her life and experiences would later be placed over her grave, hopefully as a warning to other ponies...

Forces of evil could not, and should not be trusted...