• Published 18th Sep 2014
  • 2,522 Views, 53 Comments

Adventures In Match-Making - TheNewYorkBrony



A now seventeen year old Twilight Sparkle with the help of her friends, tries to reconnect her brother with his high-school sweetheart and her old babysitter, Cadence.

  • ...
9
 53
 2,522

Adventure #2: The Idea And The Flashback

"So, how'd it go with your brother?" Applejack asked as Twilight sat down at their lunch table the next day with Rainbow.

"It....went." She said, popping a fry in her mouth.

"That bad, huh?" The farm girl asked sympathetically.

"He's such a stubborn prick. I can't even bring up Cadence without him throwing a hissy fit." Twilight angrily bit into her burger.

"Well, first loves are kind of hard to get over." Fluttershy reasoned.

"Yeah, months! Not ten years!" Twilight shouted, exasperated. "Sorry." She mumbled, she didn't mean to yell at Fluttershy.

"No harm done." The pink haired woman assured her. "Still, something should be done about this. If he doesn't get out of this, he'll probably be forty and still living with your parents."

"That's what I tried to tell him but he won't listen to me!" Twilight pinched the bridge of her nose. "If I could find her, and get them back together again, I would!"

"So why don't you?" Rarity asked.

"Huh?" Twilight barked in confusion.

"Why don't you do just that?" Rarity clarified. "Find Cadence and see if you can bring them back together. Or at least let them catch up. I'm sure they'll both have much to talk about. Well, Cadence, maybe." She added, remembering what Shining spent the last ten years doing.

"Rarity you're a genius!"

The older girl flipped her hair. "Yes, dear I know." She giggled.

"Uh, not ta be the Debby Downer here, but how do you know Cadence still lives in the same state, let alone town?" Applejack said. "For all we know she could be halfway across the country."

Dash nodded. "Aj's right. Not to discourage you or anything babe, but it seems like sort of a long shot."

Twilight shrugged. "It doesn't hurt to try."


Later, after Twilight came home from her evening classes, she snuck into Shining's room while he was out and nabbed his yearbook before booking it into her own room where Applejack Fluttershy sat.

"Okay..." she mused, flipping through the book. "Aha!" She pointed to Cadence's class photo. "It says she went to an out of state college. Guess you were right about that, AJ."

"You forgot what college she went to?" Fluttershy asked in confusion.

Twilight shrugged. "Hey, in my defense, it has been ten years. Plus the last time I ever got anything from her was when I was like, ten."

"There's an easier way to do this you know. You could go online and see if she has an online profile somewhere." Fluttershy suggested.

"Knowing Bubblegum Princess, she probably does." Twilight responded, rolling her eyes. She pulled her laptop off her desk and placed it into her lap. Searching Cadence's name in a search engine, she found a few results that could possibly help.

After reading through a few, she sighed. "None of these say anything about where she lives," she announced with a sigh. "Maybe this was a dumb idea."

Applejack put a hand on her shoulder. "Don't give up now, sugarcube. We're just getting started. Hey, I'm sure Cadence's mom still lives in her house. Why don't we ask her what she's been up to?"

Twilight's face lit up. "Of course! How could i be so myopic!" She groaned smacking her forehead. She looked at the clock. "It's kind of late to be going over there now, don't you think?"

"Then we can go first thing in the morning. We don't have class until one tomorrow." Fluttershy piped. "I'm sure the girls won't mind if we skipped out on them for a while."


Having not been to Cadence's house in years, finding it was hard, but eventually they were successful. The last time they'd all been there was Cadence's graduation party. Twilight hadn't remembered much about it except for the fact that that was the second to last time she ever saw the older girl.

Her stomach churned once they pulled up to it, one of the last memories of their friendship replaying in her mind.


An eight year old Twilight sat on the porch step as she watched the glow of cars pass by as the party in the house behind her was in full swing. Her friends were in there, having fun playing games and dancing. She was out here in the night staring down the street blankly.

She had been out here for a while. She wasn’t really sure how long, but she was sure it was long enough for someone to start looking for her. Her suspicions were confirmed when she felt someone sit beside her. She didn’t have to turn to look and see who it was to know who it was.

“Why are you out here?”

The question hung in the air as the sound of another car passing the house floated by. Twilight stared straight ahead, not daring to look over at the other girl.

“Twilight?”

Nothing.

In comparison, this was very much like the first time they were alone together. Twilight staring blankly at something, and Cadence trying in vain to grab her attention. The sense of deja vu made Twilight sick.

“Squirt. Look at me.” Cadence said sternly, forcing Twilight to look at her. Her eyebrows shot up when she realized that there were tears in her eyes and that her pale cheeks were puffy and stained with them. She had been crying.

But why?

“Tell me what’s wrong. Now.” The blonde ordered. It was in her big sister voice that had gotten Twilight to tell her many things over the past few months. It was because of this voice that she knew so many things about the younger girl that not even Shining knew.

And it was also because of this voice, that Twilight could not speak. She shook her head, turning away. “I’m fine. It’s whatever.” She mumbled, wiping the tears off her face in the sleeve of her t-shirt. She sniffled a bit and gripped at the bottom of her shirt. Something she only did when she was angry.

“I’m not letting you sit out here crying all night. I can’t help you if you don’t tell me what’s-”

It came out barely above a whisper.

“I don’t want you to leave.”

“What?” Cadence barked.

“I said I don’t want you to leave, okay?! There! Are you happy?! I told you what was wrong, now leave me alone!” Twilight shouted at her, the crying starting up again. She absolutely hated crying. It made her look like the weak, fragile little girl everyone already saw her as.

“I’m so sorry, Twilight. I had no idea you-”

“You had no idea what?! That I looked up to you?! That I saw you as my sister?! That you are the only person who truly understands me?!” Twilight screamed at her, pointing to herself. “What about Shiny? Did you tell him you were leaving?”

Cadence pursed her lips.

Twilight snorted. “Of course not. Because you knew exactly how much it would hurt him to know that you’re leaving to go probably half way across the country! Bubblegum Princess! Always looking out for no one but herself!”

“Hey! I look out for everyone I love okay?!” Cadence shouted back.

“Then how come you didn’t look out for me, huh?! You know how much I need you, Cadence! You knew, and you still did what you wanted to do! So you have to deal with the consequences, not me!” By now Twilight was red in the face.

“My life doesn't revolve around you, Twilight!” Cadence shouted back. “I’m my own person with my own dreams and aspirations! I’m not gonna stick around forever so that you can follow me like a lost puppy! You’re such a selfish little brat!”

Silence.

Cadence’s eyes widened as she realized what she said. Twilight gave her a look of horror, and if she was a puppy, she would have looked like she had just gotten kicked. “Twilight I’m-” She said reaching out for her.

Twilight smacked her hand away. “Don’t touch me! I’m just a selfish little brat, remember?!” She rose to her feet and ran back inside, sobbing.


“You alright, sugarcube, you kind of spaced out there.” Applejack, who was in the passenger side of Twilight’s car said, waving her hand in Twilight’s face.

“Huh?” Twilight asked. Her vision had come back into focus and she had a tight grip on the steering wheel that was concerning both Applejack and Fluttershy.

“Oh, um, yeah. Sorry. I was just...remembering something.” She said, unbuckling her seatbelt and getting out on her side and stepping onto the curb. “Let’s just see if this works.”

Author's Note:

Since I couldn't really elaborate in the last story because I got sick, and couldn't finish it, expect more flashback blurbs. Betcha though their relationship was all daises and sunshine, huh?

Comments ( 23 )

Yay update! I think an "and" is missing between Applejack and Fluttershy when they are looking through the yearbook.

"like water for the thirsty and honey for the bee
and a painkiller when your head is aching
as sunshine after rain and Sandwich after tea
so is an update of "adventures in matchmaking"!

Where did you get the cover art?

5268134 bakki. He has a deviantart under that name.

Hm, good job and all, but I think I'm gonna list some problems.

First, 10 years is far too long of an obsession. Something is wrong with Shining and that makes him look pathetic. Too pathetic. As in stretching my willing suspension of disbelief. :facehoof:

Cadance seems way too perfect if she was good enough to be skipped ahead. She was already describe as being popular, kind and rich. Kinda overkill, but I guess it's a genius reference to her being an Alicorn. Seriously, the brainy thing is Twilight's trait and Cadance thus comes off as sueish. Oh well, Candace is still my favorite character in this fic. Not too much harm done.

Contrived Twidash and disappointing a Flutterdasher and Twiflasher. I mean, why did you have to abandon the Flutterdash? It was the cutest thing ever. :fluttercry: You don't even apparently like Twidash and what's worse is that Twilight mentioned that she was straight in the previoius fic. Contrived bisexuality annoys me unless there was no previous contradiction. I really hope Flutters and RD get together along with Flash and Twi but hey your fic.

So thoughts on my points?

I also want to say that the flashback was pretty well done.

OH AND PLEASE TELL ME CADANCE IS RELATED TO CELESTIA AND LUNA IN THIS FIC! :pinkiehappy: That would be the best twist ever.

Also, chapters could be longer, but I would never dream of rushing you. I'm interested to see where this turns out.

5268914 multiple people have said that they don't like the twi-dash. Don't worry, ill fix it :pinkiesad2:

5269810
Because flutterdash is one of the cutest things ever.
derpicdn.net/img/2014/8/23/706354/large.png
Especially rule 63 Flutterdash. LOOK AT THEM:
derpicdn.net/img/2014/3/12/572788/large.png
I'm straight as fuck, but that is adorable. Hell, it reminds me of Cartman X Butters shipping we have in the South Park fandom.

5269810
And don't worry, you're doing a great job. Honestly, it will only take a few chapters to fix since these are just story problems characters face, not anything with quality.

i did like it was really nice.

I love the Twidash in this! They are honestly SOOOOOOOOOOOO cute. Please don't break them up...I mean, unless you want too.... :fluttershysad:

5286153
But Flutterdash is the cutest thing ever!
derpicdn.net/img/2014/7/21/680386/large.png
If I didn't ship Soarindash or Fluttercord, they would be one of my top.

5294081 I'm not going to fight you about it. But I'm just hoping that the author doesn't break them up just because people wanted them too...

5294087
Meh, we have like a trillion twidash fics. Flutterdash is underdone on fimfic.

5294090 Well none of them are as good as this!

5294092
There was hardly any Twidash and it felt like an ass pull while there are twidash fics in thousand upvote range. Don't be greedy.

5294130 Hey, be fair. We are in the third chapter. Not much of anything has happened yet.

5348732
Meh, it would be another twidash fic which we've seen too much of. I've hardly seen flutterdash on this site or even a humanized ones.

I'm curious to see where this goes.

I just really hope shinning and cadance get together again tHey are perfect for each other and and there love is pure and can overcome anything Please make this a happy ending please please

Faust Damn it Now I have to wait Buck Buck Buck:flutterrage:

Where`s the updates? ...Other than that, great story that I wouldn`t have found if your story didn`t get featured!

OMG!!!!! 4TH CHAPTER?!?!?!?! I DIDN'T THINK IT'D BE UP SO SOON!!!!!!!

Is what I would say if there actually WAS a fourth chapter :flutterrage:

Login or register to comment