• Published 5th Jun 2014
  • 1,424 Views, 130 Comments

Friendship is Revolution - ultiville



These documents present the adventures of Twilight Sparkle, Princess of Friendship, in a different human world than the one she found through the mirror.

  • ...
24
 130
 1,424

PreviousChapters Next
June 20, Entry 1 - Customers

"Well," Rosie told me just a minute ago, "I knew hiring a genuine princess would make this place classier, but I guess I had no idea how much." It was a good quip, because all day today we had important locals coming in to eat. And to try to talk to me.

It started in the morning, when the news crews were either back or still around. I thought they were just camping out to see if I'd be working again, and couldn't imagine how bored they must be, but it turned out they were there because the mayor of Boston was waiting to come in when we opened. (We're technically still in Cambridge, but apparently Boston is the name of the city proper, with the skyscrapers I could see from RD's apartment window; Cambridge started out as a different town and technically still is, but they've conurbated, kind of like Manehattan and the various cities that aren't on the island.)

Anyway, he was waiting at the door with a small entourage, and greeted me very nicely. I glanced over at Rosie since I didn't want to neglect my duties, but she nodded to me, so I chatted with him a bit. He was very polite, and didn't seem to be interested in killing and cutting me up, but he also didn't really say anything of substance. Like some of my experiences with Mayor Mare, I got the feeling he was waiting to decide, or perhaps waiting for public opinion to form before following it. That's never been my kind of leadership, but at least it's something I've seen in Equestria, too. He did ask me, he said in confidence, if everything I'd told the reporters was true. I don't know what he expected, but of course I said it was. He looked a bit disappointed but again, I have no idea what he was expecting. I hope he liked the food, if not the company.

It was like that for the rest of the day. Mixed in with a hefty crowd of curious but otherwise not notable people were a large number of local celebrities, none of whom I could really keep straight. There are just so many different kinds of rank and position here! It's like Canterlot with all the nobles, but worse, because apparently they're all importantly different, not just ancient titles that don't indicate any duties to speak of. I think the Governor of Massachusetts was my record for the day, but I don't really understand the hierarchy well enough to be sure.

None of them said anything that seemed meaningful. None threatened or tried to use me, but nor did any offer to protect or help me. Being a princess has improved my tolerance for empty pleasantries, but I'd still had enough of that long before it was over.

Only the most die-hard of Rosie's regulars made it in, though that did include RD and her crew, who I was thankful to be able to talk to for a bit. She promised to come back after her shift to say hi and catch up. I'm actually writing this entry while I wait, because she's on duty until after midnight. I was so happy to have all of them come to the bar for support, but we couldn't talk much with how busy the day was, so I'm looking forward to seeing her in private.

It wasn't all VIPs all day, though. The show's fans started showing up, too, and it was at least less bad than I expected. Some were great, mostly the children who came with their parents. They were so excited to meet me! A few asked me awkward questions, like whether they could be pony princesses when they grew up. But they didn't seem to mind when I said they'd have to be human presidents or something instead, and mostly they just wanted to touch my mane, or hug me, and tell me they love my show, and be adorable.

There were plenty of adult fans too, thankfully mostly nice, though amusingly often more shy than the young ones. But still. I was relieved that they were mostly so nice and seemingly normal. I admit I still worry about all that stuff I saw online. Especially since in further research I discovered just how dangerous and uncomfortable it can be to be even a normal human woman here, how much men can think they deserve your attention. It sounds hard enough when you've grown up with it, I don't even know what I'd do, with my magic still so weak. (That situation certainly makes my ever-growing mental list, sigh.)

For whatever reason though, it did work out. One man brought me flowers, which I have to admit made me feel a bit uncomfortable, but I don't know exactly what that means here and apparently it is ambiguous even within human culture, and he was polite and didn't seem to expect anything. And now looking back on it, they were better than the human leaders, by far, because at least I knew they supported me, even if I wasn't sure how.

I suppose I've had my fantasies about fictional characters, or even ponies around town. If Rainbow Dash or I had something like the Internet, what might we have written or drawn about Daring Do, before we knew she was a real pony? I think Rainbow didn't behave as well when we met Daring as these humans did on meeting me. I let my anxieties get away with me again, I think, unfairly. Maybe all those images and stories wouldn't exist at all, if people had known I was real.

In any case, new friends are always welcome. Especially unexpected ones. That's about it for today, though. Maybe I'll look again at some of that fan stuff, or get started on my research list. Having the Internet right in the house reminds me of my old library, being able to do research so easily.

PreviousChapters Next