• Published 11th Apr 2014
  • 808 Views, 15 Comments

Fool Me Once... - Codi Snow



Sometimes we all need a second chance to explain ourselves....

  • ...
2
 15
 808

Take It Easy

I opened my eyes to see nothing but...clouds everywhere. What? Clouds? I started to stretch my claws and felt something….fluffy underneath me. I looked down to find the biggest, fluffiest cloud underneath my body. I started to roll all over on top of the cloud just to enjoy the softness. I then rolled to my left and hit a soft bump. It smelled like fresh apples and dirt. I reached my hand out to touch it. It twitched, but soon relaxed.

I tried to look at the mystery bump and saw a furry little ball. It was warm to the touch, and it kept expanding and retracting. I wrapped my arms around it and brought it close to snuggle it. I felt it blow some air on my chest tuft. I didn't mind much, so I ran my hand further up the furry figure. I felt smooth, silky soft waves of string calmly flowing through my talons, like something majestic. I purred at the feeling and ran my talons through the string again. I nuzzled my beak into it and got that same smell- fresh apples and dirt. But it had a sort of, wind blown smell to it. I felt the furball struggling to leave my grasp. I gave a whine and pulled it closer. I started to feel occasional warm breezes on my beak. Then the ball started to say something.

“Gilda..” it cooed.

“Don’t leave..” I cooed back

“Gilda..wake up..” it replied back.

“Five more minutes, please?” I whined.

“Gilda, you gotta get up,” it said.

“You have a cute accent.” I replied. I started to lean into the furball until my lips were met with a warm…. wet pair of….lips? Suddenly, my whole world started to swirl as I still had my lips on the mystery counterpart. I slowly lifted my eyelids- for real this time- to see that a pair of green eyes were staring me in the face with a surprised look to it. I let my eyes trace the face they were connected to and saw golden brown fur tinted a soft glowing red just above a set of small freckles. I finally worked my eyes down to see a muzzle connected to those eyes and fur. Which is connected to my beak. And not moving away. I was kissing Applejack.

On instant, I leapt backwards, feeling my cheeks heat up faster than a dragon’s snout. I slowly started to descend off of the bed. I started flailing my arms around in hopes of grabbing onto something but alas, it just made my thud onto the floor much faster. I gave a small groan and looked at my paws. They were intertwined with the blanket. I climbed upwards onto the bed and on instant her eyes met mine, her hoof covering her lips. I tried to make words, but all that came out was babbling, stammering nonsense. This time, she just spoke for me.

“Ah’m guessing y’ had a moment….in yer dream?” she asked, choosing her words wisely.

“Heh,.... yeah,” I said sheepishly while rubbing the back of my neck,”s-sorry about that.”

“N-nah, it’s fine,”she said, avoiding eye contact.”Although Ah kinda liked it,” she whispered

“Wha-huh?” I asked, unable to hear the last part.

“N-nothin’. Let’s just…forget it happened,” she said getting more flustered.I’ve gotta admit, she is a little adorable looking like this. She walked out her bedroom, face still flushed, and looked back

“Y-You should get ready and, uh, head downstairs. We’d like ya t’ help us out on th’ farm,” she said, trying her hardest to avoid eye contact. She proceeded to leave to go downstairs.I finally found some words to say.

“ Hey Applejack?” I called out to her as she was walking away. She froze in her tracks, turned around- I’m assuming. Look she was in the hallway and out of my line of sight, whaddya want me to do?- and poked her head through the door once again.

“Yes?” she responded finally meeting my gaze.

“You have soft lips,” I replied with a smile. And with that, she turned around and left, her face as red as the apples on her flank.


I walked down the stairs into the living room where I saw Applebloom lying on the floor with a book at hand. Next to her, there lie a sheet of paper with a bunch of scribbles all over it, like she had a burst of ideas or something. I walked over to her to see what she was up to.

“Hey Applebloom! Whatcha up to?” I said. No response. She must be into that book.

“Applebloom?”I said. Still No response. Okay, maybe she really likes the book?

“Hello?” I said, now poking her in the head,”Equis to Applebloom. You there?” Still no response. Okay now that was three strikes. I waved the tip of my tail on her nose. She gave a small twitch. I snickered a little and waved my tail on her nose again. She grunted and flailed her hoof in an attempt to stop the attacker from tickling her nose. I giggled and waved my tail on her nose one more time. She then tried to grab my tail, but ended up booping herself. I finally gave out a laugh. She looked at me and blushed.

“So Applebloom,”I said, my laughter subsiding,”whatcha doin’?”

“Oh, well Ah was readin’ this book and found some ideas for the Cutie Mark Crusaders to do in order to get our cutie marks,” She replied, gesturing me to the paper with the scribbles next to her. It looks like a list of some sorts. I gave it a read and, though the “A” for effort, these ideas were either down right ridiculous or just dangerous.

“So this is what you wanna do?” I ask, not sure of what else to say.

“Yep!” she replied in a chipper tone. I glared at her.

“So you want to be a..” I took a look at her list,”..’chimera tamer’?”

“Well when y’ say it like that…..” She trailed off on the last part.

“Or a...open heart surgeon?”

“Well…”

“Or…. a lab rat?”

“ Alright so maybe Ah need t' make some changes,” Applebloom said in frustration, her face flustered from embarrassment. I chuckled a little and ruffled her mane a bit. I stopped chuckling when she gave me a glare.

“...What?” I asked, feeling a little confused.

“You seem...happy,” she started off,"...too happy.”

“What’re you talking about? I’m fine!” I replied, feeling a little nervous. She hardened her glare.

“Did somethin’ happen earlier?” she asked, unconvinced of my previous statement. I panicked.

“N-no! Nothing at all! What made you think that?!” I stammered out quickly.

“Are y’ sure? ‘Cause I coulda sworn Ah saw Applejack’s face all red and everything,” she said, giving me a look that said ‘heh got you now’. I started to tense up a bit.

“Well..I...uh….”

“Applebloom! Aren’t you supposed t’ be starting your chores!” Applejack interjected, saving me from Applebloom’s onslaught of questions.

“Aw, but Ah was just making up ideas for the crusaders,” Applebloom whined.

“Yeah, that’s nice, and ya’ll can get back to it when y’ finish yer chores,” Applejack said flatly.

“Aw,” was all Applebloom said before she disappeared into the other room. I gave out a sigh of relief and let loose of all my muscles that got tense.

“Yer not off the hook either, Missy,” Applejack said, giving me a smirk. I tilted my head in confusion.

“What do you mean?” I asked innocently.

“Ah’d like you t’ help me out on th’ farm,” Applejack replied in a buoyant tone,” We have plenty o’ trees that need some good ol’ buckin’.”

“And you want me to help?”

“Sure do,” she said, changing her look, “and it might be good t’ see you do some honest work for a change.”

“Is this your way of saying ‘you’re not gonna stay here and be a lazy bum’?” I deadpanned. No sugar- coating here.

“Better t’ be brutally honest than t’ be a liar,” she said, turning around and leaving the room.

“I guess today’s gonna be an easy day,” I whispered to myself.


I guess the day was… pretty fun overall. Applejack and I walked to the western part of the field and started - as she called it- bucking apples.

“Alright. Th’ baskets are already in position,” she started up,” All we have t’ do is buck ‘em.”

“You’re gonna show me ‘how’, right?” I asked.

“Absolutely,” she said while walking towards the tree. She then turned her rear to the tree and faced me.

“Now what you want is a good angle of the tree, and a good buckin’ distance,” She began to explain, "If yer too close, you might hurt yerself and/or the tree, and if yer too far, well y’ make yerself look bad."

“Okay,” I said, resting my rump in the soft, damp, evergreen grass. Each blade kinda tickled my tail. I cocked my head to the side as if to say that I’m confused,”then what?” She then cocked her legs back and slammed into the tree with great force. The tremor was strong enough to shake the apples clean off the branches. I was shocked, not only was the kick powerful, but it was done by a pony. Then again, I did hear the other griffons talk about how earth ponies could be tough to kill when I was a hatchling.

“Wow…” was the only response I could muster.

“Yep. Do it just like that and th apples come fallin’,” Applejack replied. She then gestured to a tree filled with the fresh fruit. Then she looked at me,”Your turn. Show me what you got.”

“...I dunno about this.”

“Aw don’t worry ‘bout it. I’m sure a big tough griffon like you could easily buck a couple of apples out a tree.”

“But…”

“What now? Yer backin’ out on me?,” she started to say with a sly smile on her face,"and here Ah thought you were a griffon."

“Hey wait a minute,” I said, starting to feel offended,”I am a griffon, and I don’t need to kick an apple tree to prove it.”

“Suit yerself,” She replied while trotting to another tree,"pony girl."

“What’d you call me?” I said, walking up to her until my peak was a couple of inches away from her muzzle. I didn’t care how close we were.

“You heard me,” she replied leaning her muzzle in, closing the space between my beak while lowering her eyelids,"Pony girl,". She started to lean in even closer, to the point where our mouths were centimeters apart. "A big ol’ griffon like you, gettin’ shown up by a little earth pony like me,"

I could feel her warm breath caressing my lips. I wish I could just shut her up right now, but the only way was kicking that stupid apple tree. I wasn’t going to let her win. She was trying to get under my skin, and the worst part is, it’s working. With one big growl, I marched toward the tree she gestured me to, turned around, and admitted defeat.

“Now reel yer hoo-er paws back,” she said smoothly. I think she was rubbing salt in the wound. But I did as she said. Finally, I slammed my paws into the tree with a lot of force. Well, she was right about one thing: hurting the tree. After I “bucked” it, I turned around and saw that the apples came into the basket….and the leaves…..and some twigs. I looked at the tree and winced a bit. There was a pretty visible dent in the tree, two unmistakable paw prints claimed their spots on the tree. I heard a small snicker in the back of me.

“Heh heh heh, oops,” I said in a small voice.

“Next time, y’ wanna go easy on Broomilda?” she replied.

“You name your trees?”

“Eeyup.”

“Why?”

“Well first it was t’ differentiate b’tween th’ trees. Then, well, when you care fer somethin’ fer a while, y’ start t’ get a bit, ‘attached’ t’ it, y’ know?” she replied, caressing ‘Broomilda’. Soon after, we just bucked trees in the field and talked. She told me about how her big brother bucked a tree so hard that there was a huge crook in it. We both laughed pretty hard. Since we were on the subject of brothers, I brought up Grydous. I talked about how he would stand up for me when I needed him, and how awesome he truly was. Applejack just sat there, with a small smile on her face as I went on about Grydous having an arm wrestle with mom.

“ And when he thought he got her,” I was telling her, first sitting in the shade underneath a large tree, then slowly starting to lie on my back,” Mom just easily slammed his arm down.”

“Ya’ll seem to really love yer big brother,” she chuckled. I smiled warmly, then my smile slowly faded away. Then, Applejack decided to lay down beside me.

“I...I miss him, Applejack,” I said, feeling a tear well up in my eye, “ I haven’t heard from him since the night I left. I just… wonder how he’s been all these years.”

“Don’t you worry much about him, Sugarcube,” she replied softly, “ From what y’ told me, Grydous is a tough one. Ah’m sure he’ll be able to handle himself.” She then leaned in and gave me a small nuzzle, as to reassure me of course. But, her doing that made me feel warm inside. And kinda… bubbly. We laid there for hours just talking about how Applejack felt that every tree had a personality and such. She never stopped talking about a tree named Bloomerg. The way she chatted about ‘him’, you’d think ‘he’ was actually a foal of hers. After talking about Bloomberg, she just gazed into the sky. Then, I dunno know what came over me, but I couldn’t take my eyes off of her. Her whole demeanor was just...serene. The breeze calmly caressing her mane causing one golden strand of hair limply falling onto the side of her vibrant freckled face. She closed her emerald eyes to hide it from the world. She kind of made me feel...happy. I can get used to days like this. I finally took my eyes off of her and gazed into the leaf riddled sky.


It was night. I was reluctant to stay but, Applebloom begged me to. It’s hard to think about saying no to her. So I told her I’ll stay another night. I walked up the stairs leading to Applejack’s room as I heard the triumphant cheers from Applebloom. When I reached Applejack’s room, I went to the window and just looked at the night sky. The moonlight was overseeing the fields, giving each leaf and blade of grass an interesting silhouette. The night can be quite mesmerising. The moon has a hypnotic, milky-white colour and the stars vary from a dim small blue to a bold and proud white. Maybe i’m a night owl, like my mom used to call me.

“Enjoyin’ th’ view?” I heard a voice breaking me from my trance.It was only Applejack.

“Yeah. Everything seems to be much more….astonishing at night,” I replied.

“Y’ got a point there sugarcube,” Applejack replied,” I guess that’s why Ah like lookin’ out here so much. It makes ya feel-”

“At peace?” I asked, finishing her sentence while turning to face her. Maybe it’s because of the moon, but she looks so beautiful at this angle. The moonlight gently caressing her cheeks, slightly giving away the hiding places of her freckles. The same light glistening on her mane, giving even the smallest single strand of hair an angelic shine and making her emerald eyes a brighter, hypnotic look, like a calm grassy field. The light breeze playing with her mane in a supermodel like manner. She really was a work of art.

“Yeah,” she replied, lowering her eyelids, “at peace.”

I really didn’t mean to do this but it happened. Actually, it felt….right to do this. So, yeah no regrets. I slid my hand behind her head, covering each claw with the silky gold strands. I pushed her ever so slightly towards my beak. Then, I pressed my lips against hers.She hesitated at first, but, hell she even surprised me, leaned in, adding a bit more force to my lips. I started to feel my cheeks get heated and felt a little lightheaded. I slid my tongue against her lips, asking for entry. In turn, she opened her mouth, allowing me to explore her mouth as much as possible. She wrapped her hooves around my head and neck,, pulling herself closer to me and pulling my head towards her. I felt warm all over and just had the urge to take more than just her lips, but it’s best to start off slow. However, I started to feel my hand get lower and warmer, bit by bit, until I finally-

“ Hey Gilda! Ah wanted to sho- oh...err, uhm,” Applejack jerked her face from mine as she turned to face the direction of Applebloom’s voice,her face as red as Applebloom’s face.

“ Ah’m guessin’ this is a REALLY bad time,” Applebloom said awkwardly, her face turning pink.
“A-Applebloom, Ah can explain!”

“N-no no. It’s fine. Everypony needs their privacy. Ah’ll just keep movin’, let ya’ll have yer fun time, and th’ three of us should never speak of this moment again!” Applebloom replied while walking down the hall to her room, “G’night!”

Applejack turned to me and gave me an expression as if to say ‘How are we gonna explain this to her?!’. All I did was laughed. Then, I gave her one more kiss, climbed into her spot of her bed and snuggled there.

“If yer gonna sleep in MAH bed, at least move over,” Applejack said playfully while nudging me over.

“Whatever you say,” sliding over while dozing off, “soft lips.”

I couldn’t make out the last part she said, but I did feel her kiss me on the cheek. That was enough to lull me to sleep with a smile.

Author's Note:

Hey! Not dead, just had problems with this chapter. But it's done! It's finally done! A big thanks to Miss ReflectingScore for becoming my editor! I owe her a biggie.
I'll try my best to not run into anymore writer's block for the sake of you guys but I can't promise anything really (only that next chapter will be a little less fluffy...I hope). I hope to hear what you guys think!
-Etch

Comments ( 4 )

Hnnnggggggggnnnnnnnnnnnn :heart:

I liked this story before... but now i love it... and you, for writing it!
Nothing you can do about it :raritywink:

Seriously though. I think a story like this never existed before... and now I know how much has been missed because of that.
These two are my favorite characters and you manage to write them perfectly.

Any chance you need a cover-art for this?

5308767 Squeeee!
Sorry, just super happy you love it! (especially with all the wait I've put you through)
And yes, cover art is very much appreciated (and highly needed)

5308810

I'd feel honored to be the one creating the cover!

This is some of my stuff:
http://skunkiss.deviantart.com/gallery/33303626/Friendship-is-Magic

But I haven't been active on DA for a year or so because of... family reasons :applejackconfused:
I'm working on my diploma right now, but if you could wait two weeks or so, I'm sure I'll find the time and we can figure something out.
Please pm me and tell me what you have in mind!

5308853 No worries ( in the same boat with the diploma thing)
I'm honored to have you do a cover art for me!

Login or register to comment